Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Search Results

1309 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1109
 
Babenberger Stadtthor - Babenberg City Gate Marker - wide view image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 15, 2017
Babenberger Stadtthor - Babenberg City Gate Marker - wide view
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Babenberger Stadtthor - Babenberg City Gate
Hier stand zur Zeit der Babenberger ein Stadtthor.

-

(English translation:)At the time of the Babenbergs, a city gate stood here. — Map (db m144516) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz
Erster Vorschlag für eine Akademie der Wissenschaften in Wien durch Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz 1646 - 1716 Philosoph, Mathematiker, Physiker, Theologe, Geologe, Techniker, Philologe, Jurist, Historiker und . . . — Map (db m144508) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ulrich Zwingli
. . . — Map (db m144505) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Bayside — A Checkered History / Une historie mouvementée
English: In 1984, the United States Congress designated Saint Croix Island an international historic site in recognition of the historical significance of the Island to the United States and Canada. The majestic Saint Croix . . . — Map (db m144503) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Bayside — A French Colony in Acadie / Une colonie française en Acadie
English: ”Having found no place more suitable than this island... Sieur de Monts… allowed me to draw up the plan of our settlement." Seventy-nine men, including noblemen, artisans, labourers, Catholic and . . . — Map (db m144499) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Bayside — A Place to Settle / Un endroit où s’établir
English: Sieur de Monts named the island Saint Croix Island, and Champlain recorded that: "The island is covered with fir, birch, maple, and oak. It is naturally well located... and is easy to fortify... We considered this the . . . — Map (db m144498) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Bayside — A Winter of Despair / Un hiver de désespoir
English: ”It was difficult to know the country without having wintered there... Winter came upon us sooner than we had expected..." Could you survive a winter on Saint Croix Island if... • dangerous ice cut you . . . — Map (db m144501) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Bayside — In Champlain’s Footsteps / Sur les traces de Champlain
English: The precise mapping of Acadie in the 17th century was the work of one individual — Samuel de Champlain. Between May 1604 and August 1605, travelling by barque, pinnace, canoe or on foot, Champlain surveyed and . . . — Map (db m144500) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Bayside — Moving on / Le déménagement
English: "In order to escape the cold and dreadful winter we experienced on Saint Croix Island, Sieur de Monts decided to move the settlement to another location. Having… found no port that was acceptable to us... we outfitted . . . — Map (db m144502) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Bayside — Saint Croix Island International Historic Site / Lieu historique international de l'Île Sainte-Croix
English: Welcome On Saint Croix Island in 1604, French nobleman-courtier Pierre Dugua Sieur de Monts established a settlement. This outpost was the first attempt by the French at year-round colonization in the territory they . . . — Map (db m144495) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Bayside — The River Flows On... / La rivière poursuit son cours...
English: Samuel de Champlain, explorer and geographer on Sieur de Monts' expedition, recorded in late June 1604 that: ”...we entered a river... wherein...we found two islands — one very small and near the western . . . — Map (db m144496) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Bayside — Where Two Worlds Met / Rencontre de deux mondes
English: the Micmac, Maliseet, and Passamaquoddy hunters and traders provided a commercial lifeline for Sieur de Monts' colony. Their first-hand knowledge of the territory allowed these entrepreneurs to control the supply of furs. . . . — Map (db m144497) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Willow Grove — The Black Refugees Arrived in Saint Johnon May 25th, 1815, aboard the British warship Regulus — (371 people) —
”One of the Black Refugee Tract Areas” Grants of 55 acres of land was issued to the black settlers in Willow Grove in 1836. On September 7, 1836, the grants were finally issued and 74 black refugees received titles to lots in . . . — Map (db m144129) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — Flint Island Light Station
Flint Island is a treeless little republic sitting in the Atlantic six miles east of Port Morien. The nearest landfall is the Northern Head, approximately two miles west. It is an estimated 800 yards long and 140 yards wide. The first lighthouse . . . — Map (db m144074) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — Gowrie and North Atlantic Collieries
In 1861, Archibald and Company, a family-run business from North Sydney, opened the Gowrie Mine in Cow Bay. It was the most successful mining operation in Cape Breton in the 19th Century. Preliminary mining commenced at an old pit near the shore. . . . — Map (db m144075) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — Morien Bay
The history of the village of Port Morien, rooted as it was in mining and fishing, is tightly entwined with Morien Bay itself. The Mi'kmaq name was "Noolektooch", (Noo-lack-took) meaning "place jammed with ice", or "bivouacking place". Early . . . — Map (db m144077) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — Morien Businesses of the Past
Joseph Talmage (J.T.) Irwin purchased a parcel of land in 1917 on the south side of Breakwater Street, with the intention of building an all-purpose store. He operated it for several years. At his death in 1934, his wife, Charlotte, and their . . . — Map (db m144071) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — Morien Institutions
Schooling in Port Morien and Area Records show that schooling in Cow Bay goes back to 1826. There was a school at Gowrie Mine in 1862, and it burned down in 1880. In 1867, there was a school at South Head, destroyed by fire in 1890, rebuilt, . . . — Map (db m144072) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — Morien's Legacy
The Port Morien Project In the year 2000, a group of interested citizens met to revive an organization in the community, the Port Morien Development Association. It was an organization active in the late 1960s and early 1970s. On February 9, . . . — Map (db m144073) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — The Fishery in Port Morien
The first recorded commercial fishing activity in Cow Bay occurred when the Bourinot family purchased fish, dried them, and supplied the fishermen. Lobster factories could be found in both Port Morien and South Head. The factory owned by David . . . — Map (db m144076) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Moser River — Moser River Veterans Memorial
In memory of those who gave their lives for their country 1914-1918 Basil Atkins • George Englehutt • Courtney Hull • Arthur MacDonald Guy Smith • Harry Smith • Leonard Smith • Stuart Smith 1939-1945 Wallace Barnard • Walter Hillier • Baxter . . . — Map (db m144475) WM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — A Memorial to Adam Carr Bell 1847-1912
Born in Pictou, here he was raised and lived his adult years. Educated in the New Glasgow Schools, Sackville (Mount Allison) Academy, Glasgow University Scotland. Public Servant, Politician, Pharmacist, Sportsman, Farmer, Horse Breeder. . . . — Map (db m144796) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — A Memorial to the Ship Building Industry
Into the East River at New Glasgow between 1821 and 1918 were launched some two hundred and ten sailing ships of 100 to 1400 tons burthen, built by native workmen from native materials. The locally owned, commanded and manned vessels moved . . . — Map (db m144793) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Bell's Corner
This area of Downtown New Glasgow was known as Bell's Corner for well over a century. Basil Bell (chemist, teacher and entrepreneur) constructed this architecturally sound stone home and store (to your left) in the mid 1840's. He and his wife would . . . — Map (db m144797) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Captain George R. McKenzie"Father of Pictou County Shipbuilding"
”One of New Glasgow’s most interesting and notable persons is George Rogers McKenzie. During his lifetime he was a builder of ships, deep water captain, a master mariner and a politician.” —Stories from Pictou County’s . . . — Map (db m144795) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Carmichael Park
The land upon which this park is situated was given to the Town of New Glasgow by James William Carmichael, Esq. on the Twenty-fourth day of November Eighteen Hundred and Ninety — Map (db m144802) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Glasgow Scotland
This parcel of land in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia deeded to the City of Glasgow, Scotland, Aug. 6, 1975, during the visit of the Honourable Peter T. McCann, Lord Provost of the City of Glasgow, to officiate at the Festival of Tartans on the occasion . . . — Map (db m144804) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Industrial Centre Lofts
You are standing beside the Mae MacGillivray Building, which was renovated in 2014 by MacGillivray Properties Limited. The loft apartments have an industrial theme rooted in the County's history of coal, steel and shipbuilding. A 1916 book Pictou . . . — Map (db m144806) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Johnny MilesInspirational Trail and Memorial
This memorial and activity trail recognizes the inspiration of Johnny C. Miles (1905 to 2003). Johnny grew up in Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia and became an internationally known sports figure following his 1926 and 1929 wins of the Boston Marathon. He . . . — Map (db m144803) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — New GlasgowYour Shore to Relax & Reconnect
The community that was to become New Glasgow was settled in 1784 by Deacon Thomas Fraser. By 1809 the Town was named after Old Glasgow in Scotland and incorporated in 1875. A strong entrepreneurial spirit was evident even in 1809 when the first . . . — Map (db m144794) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — New Glasgow D-Day Memorial
. . . — Map (db m144879) WM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — New Glasgow Heritage
New Glasgow is a scenic riverside town of 9,455 residents, which serves as the commercial-service centre for northern Nova Scotia with a rich multi-cultural mosaic. Founded by Scottish settlers in 1784, the town was named after Glasgow, Scotland and . . . — Map (db m144801) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — New Glasgow Town BellNew Glasgow flourish
This bell, belonging to the Town of New Glasgow, was refurbished and a bell tower was constructed as part of the New Glasgow Downtown Revitalization Project - Recreating the Experience, in 2009. The bell was originally manufactured and supplied . . . — Map (db m144799) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Normandy Branch 34The Royal Canadian Legion
Donated to the citizens of the Town of New Glasgow in memory of our fallen comrades Normandy Br 34 The Royal Canadian Legion October 5 • 1980 — Map (db m144880) WM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Rev. James Drummond MacGregor, D.D.
In grateful memory of The Rev James Drummond MacGregor, D.D. Born at Comrie, Perthshire, Scotland, 1759. Died at East River, Pictou, 1830. Pioneer Minister of the Gospel in Eastern Nova Scotia, where he labored with Apostolic zeal for 43 years. . . . — Map (db m144800) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Stone Lion, c. 1891John A. Wilson — 1876-1954 —
This likeness of a lion was sculpted by John A. Wilson in 1891 at the age of 15. Two others of its kind are known to exist, one here at the Carmichael Stewart House Museum and the other at the Lionstone Inn, Pictou. This particular statue was . . . — Map (db m144805) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Stone Lion, c. 1902John A. Wilson — 1876-1954 —
This likeness of a lion was sculpted by John A. Wilson in 1902 at the age 26. Two others of its kind are known to exist, one here at the Carmichael Stewart House Museum and the other at the Lionstone Inn, Pictou. Wilson, a New Glasgow native, was . . . — Map (db m144807) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — The First Church
The First Church in East Pictou was built on this site in 1787. Made of logs, it served the Lower Settlement East River Presbyterian Congregation for 16 years until 1803. From this beginning other Congregations developed in the East Pictou rural and . . . — Map (db m144791) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — Viola DesmondEducator, Entrepreneur, Human Rights Activist
Mrs. Viola Irene (Davis) Desmond was born on July 6, 1914 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, to James and Gwendolyn Davis. Viola was one of 15 siblings who grew up in and around the city area. After graduating from Bloomfield High School with excellent marks, . . . — Map (db m144798) HM
Ontario (Frontenac County), Kingston — The Rev. John Stuart1740-1811
Born in Pennsylvania, Stuart was ordained in 1770 and sent to Fort Hunter, N.Y., as missionary to the Mohawks. An ardent Loyalist, he came to Canada in 1781 where he was appointed chaplain to the 2nd Battalion King’s Royal Regiment of New York. In . . . — Map (db m144202) HM
Ontario (Muskoka District), Baysville — Explorers of Muskoka & Haliburton
Following the War of 1812 expeditions traversed the wilderness between Lakes Simcoe and Muskoka and the Ottawa River, seeking a route across Upper Canada less open to attack than by the St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario. In 1819 Lieut. J.P. Catty, R.E., . . . — Map (db m144822) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Rems-Murr-Kreis), Schorndorf — Anna Barbara Künkelin
Hier wohnte die Bürgermeisterin Anna Barbara Künkelin, die im Jahr 1688 mit andern muthvollen Schorndorfer Weibern die Stadt vor Melak und den Franzosen rettete.

-

(English translation:) Here lived the . . . — Map (db m143604) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Forchheim), Forchheim — Entrechtet, Deportiert, Ermordet / Disenfranchised, Deported, Murdered
Jenny Abraham * 1877 · Leo Abraham * 1875 · Emma Rosalie Braun * 1877 · Gottlieb Braun * 1883 · Rosa Braun * 1883 · Flora Heller * 1886 · Ilse Israel * 1911 · Sofie Kotz * 1860 · Julius Moritz Prager * 1895 · Sera Rosenbaum * . . . — Map (db m143548) WM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Bürgerspital / Municipal Hospital
Das Bürgerspital "Zu unserer lieben Frau” geht zurück auf eine Stiftung des Schweinfurter Patrizierehepaares Rücker, die 1402 die ehemalige Stadtadelsburg der Zollner von der Hallburg der Stadt schenken. Ab 1580 lässt Bischof . . . — Map (db m144469) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Fachwerkhaus Teutsch / Teutsch Buildingerbaut 1566 / built 1566
Zweigeschossiger Renaissancebau mit genasten und geschweiften Andreaskreuzen im Fachwerk. Ab 1607 die Privatwohnung von echterischen Vögten, Kellern und Amtsschreibern. Seit 1760 ununterbrochen im Besitz der Familie Teutsch, zuletzt . . . — Map (db m144286) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 10 — Das Schloss / The Chateau
Das heutige Schloss hatte einen Vorläufer, welcher möglicherweise als Wasserschloss ca. 100 m südlich vom heutigen Gebäude im Schlossgarten in der Nähe des Baches stand.

Der mächtige, zweigeschossige Barockbau mit seinem quadratischen . . . — Map (db m143979) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3a — Gerberhaueser / Tanners HousesBrückenstraße 8 and 10
Der Wohlstand und der Einfluss, den die Zeilitzheimer Gerber besaßen, zeigt sich in diesem doppelstöckigen Anwesen in fränkischer Muschelkalkbauweise und seiner zweifachen Toranlage. Der wuchtige Eindruck des 31 m langen Gebäudes wird durch . . . — Map (db m143785) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Hartmann Jalousie und Rolladen / Hartmann's Shutters and Blinds
Willi und Gerda Hartmann Gründeten hier am 1. Mai 1947 die Firma Rolladen~Hartmann Den Ersten Schweinfurter Fachbetrieb des Rolladen ~ und Jalousiebauer~ Handwerks -

(English translation:) Here . . . — Map (db m143967) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Schweinfurt
„Schweinfurt, eine Reichsstadt in dem Frankenland gelegen“

Mit diesen Worten leitete Dr. Johannes Sinapius seine Beschreibung von Schweinfurt ein, die 1550 in der Cosmographia des Sebastian Münster in Basel veröffentlicht wurde. . . . — Map (db m143752) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Altes Rathaus - Old Town Hall
(Lower panel:)

1898

Seinerzeit größter Gebäudekomplex mit Innenhöfen in Frankfurt am Main nördlich und südlich der neu trassierten Bethmannstraße

Von Atlanten getragene Bogenbrücke als Verbindung von . . . — Map (db m143543) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Dominikanerkloster / Dominican Monastery
1233 Mittelalterliche Klosteranlage ab Medieval monastery established

1470-1474 Spätgotischer Chor der Klosterkirche Baumeister J. Östreicher Late Gothic choir in the monastic church Master Builder J. . . . — Map (db m143861) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Liebrauenkirche / Church of Our Lady
Katholische Pfarr- und Klosterkirche Roman Catholic Parish Church and Minster

1344 Gotische Hallenkirche Gothic hall church

1453-1478 Errichtung des Glockenturms Entstehung der Südfassade Belfry erected . . . — Map (db m143790) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Mahnmal für den Widerstand gegen NS-Terror / Memorial for the Resistance Against Nazi Terror
Auschwitz · Belzec · Bergen-Belsen · Białystok · Buchenwald · Burg-Hohenstein · Columbiahaus · Dachau · Dora-Mittelbau · Drancy · Dürrgoy · Esterwegen · Flossenbürg · Fuhlsbüttel · Gross-Rosen · Gurs Gusen I Gusen II · Hertogenbosch · . . . — Map (db m143990) WM
Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Spolien der Frankfurter Altstadt / Spolia from Frankfurt's historical city centre
Spolia from Frankfurt's historical city centre

As interest in the Middle Ages grew in the 19th century, efforts got underway in Frankfurt to preserve and collect historically and artistically important architectural relics. They . . . — Map (db m143961) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Steinernes Haus
1464 Patrizierhaus und Messemagazin der Spätgotik für den Kölner Kaufmann Johann von Melem

House and fair storehouse of the merchant Johann von Melem of Cologne

1654 In Familienbesitz bis Owned by the family . . . — Map (db m143962) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Theodor Heuss
Geboren 31. Januar 1884 · Gestorben 12. Dezember 1963 - dem Ersten Präsidenten der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und Ehrenbürger dieser Stadt - dem Grossen Menschen - dem Wahrhaften Bürger - dem Freund der . . . — Map (db m143549) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality de San José Ojetenám), San José Ojetenám — Calle Desiderio Roblero GálvezPrograma de Reconciliación Nacional - PNR
Calle Desiderio Roblero Gálvez El Estado de Guatemala a través del PNR, como un reconocimeiento a este ilustre ciudadano, víctima del Enfrentamiento Armado Interno, por su invaluable lucha para la búsqueda de la paz, concordia y . . . — Map (db m144871) HM
India, Maharashtra (Aurangabad District), Ajanta — Cave No. 1 / गुफा क़. 1
This is one of the finest monasteries (35.7 X 27.6 m) of its kind and no other monastery at Ajanta has been so handsomely ornamented. The Mahayana monastery consists of an open courtyard, verandah, a hypostylar hall, sanctum with an antechamber . . . — Map (db m144465) HM
India, Maharashtra (Mumbai City District), Mumbai — Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj (formerly Victoria) TerminusWorld Heritage Monument
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus building has been inscribed upon the world heritage list of the convention concerning the protection of the world culture and natural heritage inscription on this list conforms the exceptional universal value . . . — Map (db m144418) HM
India, National Capital Territory of Delhi (Central Delhi District), New Delhi — Diwan-i-Khas
Diwan-i-Khas also known as 'Shah Mahal' was the Hall of Private Audience used by the Emperor for receiving selected courtiers and visitors.

It consists of a rectangular central chamber, surrounded by series of arches rising from piers. The . . . — Map (db m144850) HM

India, National Capital Territory of Delhi (Central Delhi District), New Delhi — Naubat Khana
The Naubat or Naggar Khana (Drum House) stands at the entrance to the palatial complex. In its days of glory, musicians from the Naubat Khana announced the arrival of the Emperor or other prominent dignitaries at the court of the public . . . — Map (db m144852) HM
India, Uttar Pradesh (Agra District), Agra — The Taj Mahal
The Taj Mahal a marvel on marble was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in commemoration of his favourite wife, Empress Mumtaz Mahal. Shah Jahan married Arjumand Bano Bagum (Mumtaz Mahal), grand daughter of I'timad-Ud- Daula, the Wazir of . . . — Map (db m144748) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Castletown

Tá Eastát Castletown, Cill Droichid i mbaile clúiteach Arthur Guinness agus tailte cúirtéireachta Jonathan Swift, údar Gulliver's Travels.

Lonnaithe sa stair chlúiteach seo, is é Castletown an teach mór ar stíl Phallaidiach is mó . . . — Map (db m143409) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Welcome to CelbridgeOur Story

The origins of our town In ancient times there were five principal roads in Ireland. One of these roads was known as the "Slí Mhór". It extended from Dublin Bay to Galway Bay and forded the river Liffey in Celbridge just below where the . . . — Map (db m143545) HM

Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Ek Balam Building 1
Edificio 1 de Ek Balam (reproducción) La región situada al norte de la península de Yucatan comprende la planicie costera y una amplia llanura limitada al sur por la serranía Puuc. Este territorio fue ocupado alrededor del siglo VI . . . — Map (db m144379) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Cárcamo de DóloresThe Dolores Water Tank and Rivera Murals
Hace 4,500 millones de años, la tierra era todavía una bola de magma, cuando el planeta se enfrió lo suficiente como para que el agua se condensara, las nubes se agolparon en el cielo y los océanos se precipitaron en forma de lluvia. . . . — Map (db m144361) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Stela 12 of Piedras Negras
Estela 12 de Piedras Negras (Reproducción. El original se encuentra en el Museo Nacional de Arqueología y Etnología de Guatemala) Fue erigida por el Gobernante 7, quien nació en 750 d.C. durante la regencia del Gobernante 4. Aunque . . . — Map (db m144452) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — " 'T Saligh Roemers Huys / The Delightful House of Roemer
"'T Saligh Roemers Huys wiens vloer betreden word, wiens dorpel is gesleten van Schilders, kunstenaers, van Sangers en Poëten" (Vondel, 1623)

In dit pand en in de aangranzende panden woonden en werkten den koopman-dichter . . . — Map (db m144476) HM

Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Auschwitzmonument (Spiegelmonument) / Auschwitz Monument (Mirror Monument)De moord op de joden uit Nederland / The Murder of the Dutch Jews
Een gedenkteken maken op de plaats waar de urn met as van de slachtoffers uit het concentratiekamp Auschwitz in de Nederlandse aarde rust, lijkt een onmogelijke taak. Hoe kan je een vorm vinden om een misdaad te gedenken waarvan je het gevoel hebi . . . — Map (db m144477) HM WM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Dr. Evert Van Dieren
hier woonde Dr. Evert Van Dieren Eerste Voorzitter A.G.G. 1861 1940

-

(English translation:) Here lived Dr. Evert Van Dieren (1861-1940), first president of the Amsterdam Medical Association. — Map (db m144504) HM

Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Gisèle
Von 1940 tot 2013 leefde en werkte hier de kunstenares Gisèle Ze bood onbaatzuchtig onderdak aan vervolgden van de naziterreur. In dit huis leeft haar geest verder.

-

(English . . . — Map (db m144474) HM

Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Taeke Ferwerda and Siebren van der Baan Memorial
In den nacht van twaalf September negentienhonderd vier en veertig werd het onschuldig bloed vergoten van Taeke Ferwerda sinds negentienhonderd dertien dienaar des Woords der Gereformeerde kerk te Amsterdam en stierf Siebren van der Baan . . . — Map (db m144479) WM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Qumran Cave 1 / מערת 1
In 1947, three Bedouin shepherds discovered eight clay jars in this cave. One jar contained three scrolls: the complete Isaiah Scroll (written in popular version), the Community Rule (the rule book of the Qumran Sect), and the Habakkuk . . . — Map (db m144168) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — A Perspective of Power — Moundville Archaeological Park —
Imagine a clan chief 800 years ago standing exactly where you are. It's possible he would see something resembling this artist's rendering. Larger mounds, like this one, dotted the plaza's perimeter, serving as elevated platforms for . . . — Map (db m144752) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Earthlodge — Moundville Archaeological Park —
Before you is Mound V, a broad, low, rectangular platform that forms an apron to Mound B at your left. Until recently, scientists knew only that Mound V's function was somehow intimately tied to Mound B upon which the principal chief's house stood. . . . — Map (db m144777) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Mound Arrangement — Moundville Archaeological Park —
At least 29 mounds were built and used as platforms for important structures at Moundville. Their rectangular arrangement, roughly aligned with the four directions around a central plaza, shows us that these people planned this site before they . . . — Map (db m144811) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Mound B — Moundville Archaeological Park —
The mound in front of you probably once served as a platform for the principal chief's house. The noble who lived there was an extremely important political and religious figure. It is likely that this chief claimed to have divine relationships with . . . — Map (db m144808) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Moundville Archaeological ParkAlabama Indigenous Mound Trail
I do not think in the Southern States there is a group of Mounds to compare to Moundville, in the arrangement and state of preservation of the mounds. - Clarence B. Moore, amateur archaeologist, 1910

Spanning more than 300 acres, . . . — Map (db m144745) HM

Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Moundville Archaeological Park — Moundville Archaeological Park —
Welcome to Moundville Archaeological Park, the best preserved site of its kind in North America. At its height, Moundville was the largest and most powerful political and religious center in the Southeast. Nobles at Moundville ruled over thousands . . . — Map (db m144759) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Politics and Power — Moundville Archaeological Park —
The mounds you see here were built in a very orderly arrangement over the course of about 100 years. Surrounding them was an immense wall constructed from tens of thousands of logs. How did the rulers harness the manpower and allegiance of the . . . — Map (db m144774) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Politics and Power — Moundville Archaeological Park —
The mounds you see here were built in a very orderly arrangement over the course of about 100 years. Surrounding them was an immense wall constructed from tens of thousands of logs. How did the rulers harness the manpower and allegiance of the . . . — Map (db m144809) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Protection and the Palisade — Moundville Archaeological Park —
Rival Mississippian chiefdoms constantly threatened one another. Warfare was a way of life for most men. By proving their valor militarily, warriors probably increased their overall status as they were promoted up through the ranks. One theory . . . — Map (db m144815) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — The CCC and Moundville — Moundville Archaeological Park —
The Civilian Conservation Corps was born during the turmoil of the Great Depression. Hundreds of thousands of young men were out of work, and wasteful exploitation of the environment had devoured millions of acres across America. In 1933, as part of . . . — Map (db m144813) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — The ColumnsSweet Homegrown Alabama
Opened in 1934, the third Madison County Courthouse was the home of these majestic limestone columns and for more than 50 years they stood in the square, after which they were carefully disassembled.

Garden volunteers Evelyn Lucas and Seth . . . — Map (db m144866) HM

Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Barton Academy
The first public school in Alabama built in 1835-36, used continuously since that time for the purpose of education except for a brief period during the Civil War when it was a hospital. Named for State Rep. Willoughby Barton of Mobile who was the . . . — Map (db m143517) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — 1 — Capitol ParkTuscaloosa Civil Rights History Trail
As you look at the ruins of the former Alabama State Capitol, it may be difficult to realize that the building stood at the center of debates over freedom and liberty. Until the end of the Civil War, Alabama and Tuscaloosa were centers of . . . — Map (db m144856) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — 16 — First African Baptist ChurchTuscaloosa Civil Rights History Trail
First African Baptist Church played a central role in the fight for civil rights in Tuscaloosa because it was the home church of Rev. T. Y. Rogers, Jr., the most important local leader in the movement, and the primary site for mass protest . . . — Map (db m144855) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Honor Roll of Soldiers and Patriotsof the American Revolution — 1775       1783 —
who came to Tuscaloosa County Alabama

Robert Aiken • Isaac Jaudon Samuel Baker • Reuben Jones William Binion • Thomas Keates, Sr. Benjamin Blackburn • Daniel Lookingbill Benjamin Bruton • John Madison Thomas Clarke • Samuel . . . — Map (db m144863) WM

Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — 18 — Howard-Linton BarbershopTuscaloosa Civil Rights History Trail
In September 1952, Autherine Lucy's application to the University of Alabama was accepted. When she arrived on campus and the university officials discovered that she was African-American, they denied her admission. In 1955, following . . . — Map (db m144853) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Lynching in America / Lynching in Tuscaloosa County
Lynching in America

Thousands of African Americans were victims of lynching and racial violence in the United States between the Civil War and World War II. The lynching of African Americans during this era was a form of racial terrorism . . . — Map (db m144735) HM

Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fairbanks — 83 — Gold Dredge No. 8Gold Stream Valley 1928 - 1959 — National Historic Mechancial Engineering Landmark —
Dredges were brought in to mine gold-bearing deposits in the Fairbanks mining district after 1920. This bucket-line or ladder dredge has 68 buckets, each with a capacity of 6 cubit feet. The bucket line was driven by a 150 horsepower motor that . . . — Map (db m144242) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — A Relict ForestNavajo National Monument
Before you lies a small tributary of the Tsegi Canyon watershed. A quaking aspen grove graces the canyon floor, while the north-facing cliff (right) offers shady habitat for towering Douglas-fir trees. Thriving here in this desert wilderness is . . . — Map (db m144450) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Big SagebrushArtemisia tridentata
It is not known if the prehistoric Indians of the canyons used this plant, but both Navajos and Hopis make medicine from it, to cure stomach-ache. The Navajos use it to cure colds and headache. — Map (db m144404) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Broadleaf YuccaYucca baccata
As with the narrowleaf yucca, all parts of this plant provided something for the Indians. They ate the fruit, and shredded and twisted the leaves into cord and rope. Soap comes from the crushed roots and is used as a shampoo in Navajo and Hopi . . . — Map (db m144395) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — CliffroseCowania mexicana, var. Stansburiana
Hopis made arrows from the wood of this plant and shredded the soft bark to make a padding for babies' cradleboards. Like many of these plants, it provided medicine, and was used as an emetic and as a wash for wounds. — Map (db m144393) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Douglas FirPseudotsuga taxifolia
Generations of Hopis have long travelled far from their arid, mesa-top homes to collect fir boughs and branches. Navajos also traded cut boughs to the Hopis in exchange for corn. Each culture requires fir neck-wreaths for the dancers of certain . . . — Map (db m144406) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Gambel OakQuercus gambelii
The most common oak in Navajoland has a hard, durable wood, which is still used for ax handles, weaving battens, and cradleboard hoops. The leafy branches are favored for shade ramadas in the summer. Solutions of root bark are used to dye wool and . . . — Map (db m144405) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Grizzlybear PricklypearOpuntia erinacea
The fruit of the pricklypear cactus is widely eaten by Southwestern Indians. It is picked with a forked stick or wooden tongs, and the spines are broken or burned off. It may be eaten fresh or dried. — Map (db m144403) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — HoganNavajo National Monument
The Navajo Indians resourcefully met the demands of desert dwelling when they came up with this comfortable and sturdy forked-stick hogan — so called because its chief structural support is made up of three poles with their forked ends . . . — Map (db m144378) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Indian Rice GrassStipa hymenoides
When protected from overgrazing, this bunchgrass thrives on the high desert. It was once a nutritious food source for the Hopi Indians. While Navajos also depended on rice grass, other foods that were easier to prepare eventually replaced it. . . . — Map (db m144391) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Into The MemoryNavajo National Monument
Who Was Here? Descendants of the Hopi people who built this place call it Talastima, a Hopi word for "Place of the Blue Corn Tassels." They call their ancient relatives “Hisatsinom.” Zuni, also pueblo builders, know . . . — Map (db m144402) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Mormon TeaEphedra viridis
This plant, when made into a brew, was a multipurpose medicine, prescribed for stomach trouble, kidney afflictions, venereal disease, and coughs. — Map (db m144407) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Pinyon PinePinus edulis
The nut of this little tree, eaten raw or roasted, is a favorite wild food of the Southwestern Indians. Prehistoric Indians used the pitch to fasten stone arrowheads and knives to wooden shafts and handles, and to repair broken pots. Navajos made . . . — Map (db m144399) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Prehistoric PioneersNavajo National Monument
This Is The Place The Ancestral Puebloans often chose south-facing alcoves like this one for their cliff villages; here are all the basic necessities of life. Benefits of winter sun and summer shade, shelter from the elements, and springwater . . . — Map (db m144400) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Rabbit BrushChrysothamnus nauseosus
Hopi Indians burn rabbit brush kindling with three other wood fuels in their ceremonial kivas. Slender, flexible stems are woven into basketry. Green dye comes from the inner bark, while early autumn flowers yield a yellow dye. The Hopis once . . . — Map (db m144448) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Roundleaf BuffaloberryShepherdia rotundifolia
Map (db m144398) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — ServiceberryAmelanchier utahensis
Serviceberry is one of the enduring "life medicines" of the Navajos, which insure their survival, health, and harmony. It is gathered to treat nausea, stomach problems, animal bites, and recovery from childbirth. It is also valued as a medicine in . . . — Map (db m144449) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — The Pygmy Conifer Forest - An Indian Store
This trail leads through vegetation typical of the plateaus of northern Arizona. Although the trees are small, they make up a true forest – the pinyon pine-juniper forest. The stunted trees and plants here may seem an unlikely source of food, . . . — Map (db m144397) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Utah JuniperJuniperus osteosperma
This tree had many uses. Many of the roof beams in Betatakin are juniper. Fires were started with juniper fire-drills, the shredded bark was used for tinder, and the wood was used for fuel. The shredded bark also served as diaper pads, was braided . . . — Map (db m144396) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Voices in the CanyonNavajo National Monument
By 1286, Betatakin village had grown to fill even the most precarious shelves and niches in the alcove, and housed 100 to 125 people clustered into 20 to 25 households. Looking down at this sheltered site today you can still see most remnants of the . . . — Map (db m144401) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Welcome to the Historic Contact StationNavajo National Monument
This contact station has served many purposes over the years, including an essential role as the monument’s first interpretive center. The Cook Shack The building was originally constructed in 1939 as a nine-by-twelve-foot cook shack for park . . . — Map (db m144354) HM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — Boone County Confederate Memorial
"This monument perpetuates the memory of those who true to the instincts of their birth, faithful to the teachings of their fathers, constant in their love for the state, died in the performance of their duty, who have glorified a fallen cause by . . . — Map (db m143894) WM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — Boone County Spanish-American War Veterans Memorial
In Memory of Spanish American War Veterans 1898 - 1902 Erected by Department of Arkansas Auxiliary 1941 Nelson S. Thornton - Ruby H. LyonsMap (db m143896) WM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — Boone County War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of Boone County who served with honor and glory and to those inscribed here who made the supreme sacrifice that we might live in freedom

World War I

Allen, Roy · Lafferty. Robert L. Casey. John · . . . — Map (db m143898) HM

Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — Boone County WWI Monument
. . . — Map (db m143891) WM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — The Mountain Meadows Massacre
In memory of 140 men, women and children N.W. Arkansas emigrants to California. In 1857 under leadership of Alexander Fancher (Piney Alex) left from Caravan Spring 4 miles south of here around May 1st - Camped at Mountain Meadows, Utah in early . . . — Map (db m143889) HM
Arkansas (Cleburne County), Heber Springs — Cleburne County War Memorial
In Honor of Those Who Gave the Ultimate Sacrifice from Cleburne County

Iraq Parker, Tommy Lynn "TJ" Jr. Woodham, Anthony Lynn

World War I Denwoody, Frank • Stark, George B. Estes, Charles D. • Thompson, Perry J. . . . — Map (db m143762) WM

Arkansas (Searcy County), Marshall — Devils Backbone Road Cut-Geology / Construction
Devils Backbone Road Cut-Geology This road cut exposes the upper Fayetteville Shale, and overlying lower Pitkin Limestone deposited in a shallow sea covering the southern Ozark region as the Mississippian Geological Period ended. As . . . — Map (db m143764) HM
Arkansas (Searcy County), Marshall — South Mountain Scenic OverlookElevation 1386'
"American Indians inhabited these Ozark hills for thousands of years until the turmoil of European exploration and long periods of drought caused their movement out of the highlands at the same time that European trappers, hunters, and explorers . . . — Map (db m143763) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — The Meek Mansion
Built in 1869 by William Meek, a pioneer of commercial agriculture, the mansion is characteristic of the affluent agricultural society of the Victorian era in California. The estate is on the site of the former Rancho San Lorenzo. This area . . . — Map (db m143641) HM
California (Alameda County), Niles — Completion of the Transcontinental RailroadNiles, California
“May God continue the unity of our country as this railroad unites the two great oceans of the world.” The gold spike ceremony at Promontory, Utah in May of 1869 united the tracks of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads. . . . — Map (db m143737) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — Corpus Christi ChurchAll Are Welcome
Corpus Christi parish was formally opened on November 24, 1929 as part of what was then the archdiocese of San Francisco. Masses were held in a cottage on St. James Drive until January 11, 1931, when a small church and rectory opened . . . — Map (db m144737) HM
California (Alpine County), Woodfords — 805 — The Pony Express - Woodfords
During the initial five weeks of its operation in 1860, an important remount station of the famous Pony Express was located a few feet from here at Cary’s Barn. This monument erected by the Historical Society of Alpine County. National . . . — Map (db m143520) HM
California (Alpine County), Woodfords — 805 — Woodfords Station
Historic Woodfords Station, the Eastern Sierra gateway to the goldfields of California, way station of the famed Pony Express, and entrance to Carson Pass on the Emigrant Trail to the Sacramento Valley. Beginning in 1849 with the building of the . . . — Map (db m143519) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 267 — Old Sperry HotelThe Mitchler Hotel
This hostelry originally built in 1855 by J. L. Sperry of Sperry Flour fame and his partner John Perry. Among early guests whose names appear on old register are Mark Twain, Horatio Alger, Thomas H. Lipton, Henry Ward Beecher, the Rothchilds General . . . — Map (db m143521) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — 356 — The Adobe Houses of Victor CastroLate 1830's to 1956
Four hundred feet west of this plaque Victor Ramon Castro 1817 - 1900 built three adobe dwellings, the south one in late 1830's the main one or west one in 1840's the north in late 1840's They with later additions were destroyed by fire April . . . — Map (db m144264) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Deodar Cedars
In 1927 these trees were planted by Robert Elam McNeil and his wife, Gertrude, pioneer leaders in the Methodist Church and in the community. Born in Lafayette, the McNeils were proprietors of the Pioneer Store from 1902 to 1935. — Map (db m143636) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Lafayette Grammar School
Built in 1893 this portion of the church is the old schoolhouse with the original belfry, the third school in Lafayette since 1853. In 1927 the building was purchased to serve as the Methodist church.

A group of neighbors formed the . . . — Map (db m143634) HM

California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Lamorinda Vietnam Memorial
To give one's life in the cause of freedom for others is the noblest cause of all

Robert Stanley Baird David Ray Elliott Terence Michael Hustead Kenneth Eugene Mattson Timothy Arma Thomas Donald Herbert White — Map (db m143578) WM

California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Rolling Ridge Ranch
Site of Rolling Ridge Ranch 37 years of service to equestrians 1953 · 1990 Ken And Ada Brown — Map (db m143633) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — City of Richmond Employees World War II Memorial
This tablet is dedicated to the memory of personnel of the City of Richmond who died in the service of their country in World War II.

John J. Kenny · Councilman William J. Finnegan · Engineer James F. Fitzgibbons · Street Dept. . . . — Map (db m144412) WM

California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Harry Ells School
On this site a school was founded in 1944 to serve Richmond students. The school was named after Harry Leander Ells, who served on the Stege School Board and served the 22nd District of the State Assembly in 1903-1905 representing Contra Costa . . . — Map (db m144416) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Richmond Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West Veterans Memorial
Presented by the N.S.G.W. No. 217 and N.D.G.W. No. 147 of Richmond

In memory of those who served the United States in time of war — Map (db m144414) WM

California (Glenn County), Orland — 345 — The Swift AdobeCalifornia Historical Landmark 345
The first house in Glenn County Built about 1848 by Granville P. Swift A member of the Bear Flag Party, who came to California from Oregon in 1844. The site is 150 yards east on the banks of Hambright Creek. The house was built of clay by . . . — Map (db m143522) HM
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — 783 — Jacoby Building
The basement and first story of the building, at 8th and H streets (opposite), was constructed in 1857 for Augustus Jacoby. For many years it was a principal supply point for the Klamath Trinity mining camp trade. From 1858 through 1864 it . . . — Map (db m143579) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — Clear Lake Habitat
Freshwater Marsh A freshwater marsh once surrounded Bloody Island prior to land reclamation efforts that began in the late 19th century. Native plants within marshes around Clear Lake included tules (Scirpus acutus), rushes (Juncus sp.), . . . — Map (db m143781) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — The Pomo
Local Pomo groups fished and hunted waterfowl within marshes and adjacent waters. Hunting parties trapped waterfowl using large nets, while individual hunters used snares and slings. The Pomo used nets, brush dams, and basket traps to catch fish. . . . — Map (db m143666) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — Upper Lake Through Time
At the time of the first Spanish settlement in California in 1769, the native Pomo had inhabited Lake County for at least 10,000 years. When Mexico became independent of Spain in 1822, secularization af the Mission system provided rich land grants . . . — Map (db m144283) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — 990 — Christmas Tree Lane
The 135 Deodar Cedar trees were planted in 1885 by the Woodbury Family, the founders of Altadena. First organized by F.C. Nash in 1920, the "Mile of Christmas Trees" has been strung with 10,000 lights each holiday season through the efforts of . . . — Map (db m143798) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — Zane Grey Estate

Zane Grey Estate 396 East Mariposa Street has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 2002 — Map (db m144782) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Big Boy — State of California Point of Historical Interest —
This restaurant was built in 1949 by locals Scott MacDonald and Ward Albert and is the oldest remaining Bob's Family Restaurant in America. It was designed by respected architect Wayne McAllister incorporating the 1940s Transitional design of . . . — Map (db m144320) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Story Hardware
On this site in 1915, Thomas Story with sons Henry and Walter opened Story & Sons Hardware store. Thomas Story was one of Burbank’s earliest pioneers, arriving here in 1877. He opened Burbank’s first livery stable in 1899, and also farmed and sold . . . — Map (db m144314) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — 133 — Minnie Hill Palmer HouseHomestead Acre
Cottage built by the Hill family in 1911. Last homestead acre in the Valley. — Map (db m144408) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Goode House
Built in the 1880’s. One of the last remaining examples of Queen Anne-Eastlake architectural style in Glendale. Home of Ed Goode, 1897-1917. Outstanding community leader. — Map (db m143602) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — St. Francis Dam DisasterLancaster Cemetery
In remembrance of those who lost their lives in the St. Francis Dam disaster March 12-13, 1928. This was one of California’s greatest disasters with over 400 lives lost; five of whom were laid to rest at Lancaster Cemetery. — Map (db m143730) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 163 — Disney Studio SitePoint of Historical Interest
Site of Walt Disney’s original animation studio in Los Angeles 2719 Hyperion Avenue 1926-1940 — Map (db m143586) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Tracks Through Time
The first permanent railroad track in the United States was laid around 1810 near Philadelphia. Experimental railways began developing throughout the eastern states and by 1850 over 9,000 miles of track had been laid. Track construction followed the . . . — Map (db m144012) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — Saugus School Bell
The bell in the tower of this station was fabricated by the C.S. Bell Company of Hillsboro, Ohio. It weighs approximately 400 pounds and measures 30 inches in diameter at the base. The bell originally hung in the belfry of Saugus Elementary School, . . . — Map (db m143725) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Northridge — 782 — El EncantoBlack Hawk Ranch
Rural Vernacular Style. Henry F. Withey, Architect. Built 1941. Converted 1946. Declared 2004, Historic-Cultural Monument No. 782, City Of Los Angeles, Cultural Heritage Commission. — Map (db m131226) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Northridge — Lauretta Wasserstein Sculpture Garden“Post-Tension”
On January 17, 1994, Los Angeles and the surrounding region experienced a 6.7 magnitude earthquake centered in Northridge. To commemorate the rebuilding of the region and CSUN, we created the sculpture garden incorporating remnants of the . . . — Map (db m144546) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — San Gabriel Mission Dam1821-1822
Built by Joseph Chapman (Jose El Ingles), a woodman from Maine, taken prisoner during a pirate raid near Santa Barbara in 1818. He also helped construct the new Plaza Church in Los Angeles, and in 1819-1820 he built a grist mill at Mission Santa . . . — Map (db m144860) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — St. Francis Dam
The St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles Aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12⅓ billion gallons of water roaring down . . . — Map (db m143723) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
On this site in August of 1924 construction started on the St. Francis Dam, a unit of the Los Angeles Aqueduct. When it was completed in May of 1926, this concrete dam stood 185 feet above the stream bed, impounding a 610 surface-acre lake. . . . — Map (db m143721) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — 919 — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
The 185-foot concrete St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12½ billion gallons of water . . . — Map (db m143722) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Valencia — Tesoro Adobe
Harry Carey Sr. was an early silent-screen actor who starred in more than 200 films. In 1916 he took over the homestead rights of a previous settler and established his ranch of almost 2,000 acres. Carey, the first of many film actors to settle in . . . — Map (db m143724) HM
California (Los Angeles County), West Hills — 911 — Ancient Live Oaks And Old Mission Lime Kilns1797 - 1806
These venerable oak trees were topped by the Franciscan friars to furnish fuel for the nearby lime kilns that provided mortar for the building of the Mission San Fernando Rey de Espana. These fused rocks were taken for their preservation, from the . . . — Map (db m144163) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — 207 — Reed's MillRegistered California Historical Landmark
The mill was constructed in the 1830's by John Reed and was one of the first saw mills in Northern California. The mill site was utilized in May 1890 to conduct a public land auction of land parcels that signaled the founding of the City of Mill . . . — Map (db m143523) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — United Nations Conference on International Organization
Here in this grove of enduring redwoods, preserved for posterity, members of the United Nations Conference on International Organization met on May 19, 1945 to honor the memory of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, thirty-first President of the United . . . — Map (db m144203) HM
California (Monterey County), Big Sur — Cooper CabinAndrew Molera State Park
Andrew Molera State Park was once part of a Mexican land grant known as the Rancho El Sur. Though granted in 1834 to Juan Bautista Alvarado, later governor of the province, it was soon acquired by his uncle, J.B.R. Cooper, Cooper was a Monterey sea . . . — Map (db m144646) HM
California (Monterey County), Marina — 1919 — Post 694
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization. Focusing on service to veterans, servicemembers, and communities, the Legion evolved from a group of war-weary veterans of World War I into one of the most . . . — Map (db m143558) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 105 — Royal Presidio Chapel
The Royal Chapel of San Carlos de Borromeo, founded June 3, 1770, is the only remaining Presidio chapel in California. Madariaga Adobe * Follow Church St. to Abrego Cell Phone Tour (831) 718-9123 enter 710 — Map (db m143524) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 352 — Stevenson House
House where Robert Louis Stevenson lived in the latter part of 1879. — Map (db m143525) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 1 — The Custom House
The Custom House is the oldest government building in California. From 1822 through 1846, Monterey was both the capital city and primary port of entry for Alta California. Cargos of “everything under the sun” were brought ashore and . . . — Map (db m143526) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 351 — Vasquez Adobe
Former family home of Tuburcio Vasquez, colorful bandit . Originally a one-story adobe. — Map (db m143527) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Veterans Home of California
On Oct. 25, 1882, the Veterans Home of California Association purchased 910 Acres in Yountville for $17,750. On this site the first building was erected. Opened April 1, 1884 for Civil and Mexican War veterans. By July 1, 1889, the Home . . . — Map (db m144263) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — 2009-7 — Hydraulic Mining
The first hydraulic mining originated here at "American Hill Diggins" by Edward Matteson in 1853. Matteson originally used canvas hose. The canvas hose was replaced with crinoline hose in 1860.

These miners' giants, also known as water cannons, . . . — Map (db m143893) HM

California (Placer County), Foresthill — Old Four Fingers
Old Four Fingers, ruthless outlaw, was killed near this spot on April 1, 1851. Driven to a life of crime by the humiliation and degeration, resulting from a radical digital mutilation, preformed upon him by a pious father. He was apprended and . . . — Map (db m143582) HM
California (Placer County), Loomis — A Brief History of the Blue Anchor Shed
On this site stood the Blue Anchor Fruit Packing Shed. This was one of the largest fruit packing sheds in Loomis and was part of a series that the California Fruit Exchange built in Loomis beginning in the 1930's. The sheds in Loomis packed a . . . — Map (db m143686) HM
California (Placer County), Loomis — Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after "The Liberty Tree: Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the . . . — Map (db m143673) HM
California (Placer County), Loomis — Loomis Chinatown
Loomis Chinatown was located approximately 100 yards northeast of this plaque

Hoo-Quong dry yard was located at this very site — Map (db m143774) HM

California (Placer County), Rocklin — Rocklin Roundhouse
Circa 1863 Rocklin was chosen by the Central Pacific Railroad as the location for the roundhouse as it was close to the point where the railbed steepens and heads towards Auburn. The decision to build at Rocklin also reflected Rocklin's proximity . . . — Map (db m143622) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Carnegie Museum
First public library of Roseville Opened October 12, 1912 Property donated by A.B. McRae — Map (db m143968) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Farlow Building
1868 - Original Site of the B.W. Neff Residence 1927-Built by Fred Farlow known as the "Farlow Block" Early occupants: Ground Floor: Citizens Bank, Richardson Store for Men, Bennett's Pharmacy 2nd Floor occupied by Dr. Leo Barusch, . . . — Map (db m143600) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Garbolino Building
Site of Davis Hotel, built 1909.

Housed railroaders - destroyed 1930.

In 1932, Ed Garbolino erected present building for Hanford Crocker Chevrolet until 1964.

Occupied by Boni Music to 1984.

Kendall's Allwood Furniture opened . . . — Map (db m143599) HM

California (Placer County), Roseville — Masonic Hall and Roseville Theater Building
1872 – Rocklin Masonic Lodge No. 222 organized.

1912 -Roseville Masonic Lodge No. 432 organized.

1919 - After railroad operations moved from Rocklin to Roseville, the lodges consolidated into Roseville Lodge No. 222.

1920 . . . — Map (db m143780) HM

California (Placer County), Roseville — Minard Building
1873-1910 Site of Roseville's first school

1920 Hawkin Brothers erected an automotive repair building

1949 Acquired and remodeled by Minard and De Wood

1999 Major renovation by the Minard family

Special recognition . . . — Map (db m143778) HM

California (Placer County), Roseville — Roseville Junction Monument
The Roseville Junction Monument derives its name from two sources of inspiration. First, it reflects the name of the town in the 1860's. Roseville was the intersection between local rail lines and was appropriately called "Junction.” . . . — Map (db m143583) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — The Roseville Methodist Church
The oldest section of this church, built in 1882-1883, was Roseville's first ecclesiastical structure. Dedication ceremonies for the church were held March 4, 1883. — Map (db m143585) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — The West HouseBuilt in 1907
Built by F. B. Rossi for George West in 1907

Leased and sold to Avano Frediani in 1917, as a hotel and tavern business, and continuously operated by the Frediani family for 81 years.

Extensive remodeling was completed in . . . — Map (db m143777) HM

California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Placer County Emigrant Road
The Placer County Emigrant Road, known today as the Western States Trail, extended from Yankee Jim's on the Foresthill Divide to the Washoe Valley in Nevada. Built in 1852, the road served emigrants before providing a link to the Comstock boom towns . . . — Map (db m143761) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — New Uses on the Rail YardFolsom Historic District
On April 19, 1877, the Sacramento Valley Railroad consolidated with the Folsom and Placerville Railroad to form the Sacramento and Placerville Pailroad. All machine work was transferred to Sacramento and the Folsom machine shop closed in 1878. In . . . — Map (db m143782) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — Sacramento Valley RailroadFolsom Historic District
Completed in 1856, the Sacramento Valley Railroad from Sacramento to Folsom was one of the first railroads constructed west of the Mississippi. The route was surveyed by Theodore Judah, a civil engineer from New York who envisioned a . . . — Map (db m143784) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — Site of Car/Carpenter Shop (1863)Folsom Historic District
Site of the car/carpenter shop, constructed in 1863 as a workshop where railroad cars and other rolling stock were built. The building was demolished in 1895 and the bricks were reused at the Folsom powerhouse. — Map (db m143683) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — Turning Locomotives in FolsomFolsom Historic District
Over time there have been five turntables used to turn locomotives, (like the one pictured above), around at the Folsom Rail Yard. The first turntable was put in place in 1856, with replacement turntables constructed in 1867, 1882, 1891, and 1910. . . . — Map (db m143675) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — W.L. Perkins WarehouseFolsom Historic District
On approximately this site, a freight warehouse and depot was constructed in April 1860. The brick freight depot measured 30 feet by 100 feet and was leased by W. L. Perkins, a merchant specializing in freight. The building was used for the storage . . . — Map (db m143681) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Acorns, Oaks, and the Native Peoples
From the upland we descended into broad groves on the river, consisting of the evergreen, and a new species of white oak.. Among these was no brushwood; and the grassy surface gave to it the appearance of parks in an old settled country We made . . . — Map (db m143965) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Historic Businesses 10th to 11th Streets, North
J. McCaw Wood and Coal Yard is the earliest known business to occupy the north side of R Street from 10th to 11th Streets. In 1917, the Sacramento Junk Company constructed a brick warehouse, occupying it until 1925 when W.P. Fuller Paint and . . . — Map (db m144846) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Historic Businesses 11th to 12th Street, South
The south side of the 1100 block of R Street was home to a number of storage warehouses in the early 1900s. In 1907, a State warehouse and office occupied the existing three-story, brick warehouse on the southeast corner of 11th and R . . . — Map (db m144714) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Historic Businesses 12th to 13th Street, North
In the early 1900s, businesses on this half block included the Sacramento Cigar Box Factory and Pioneer Fuel. The structures that housed these businesses were demolished prior to 1945.

Before the 1940s, R Street Corridor structures were . . . — Map (db m144417) HM

California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — History of Southside ParkThen and Now
Beginning of the Southside Neighborhood: The City of Sacramento has always been susceptible to floods. In the 1800's, this site which is now Southside Park was swamp land and was used as dumping grounds. By the 1850's a levee was . . . — Map (db m144865) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Theodore Judah
Determined to be the "pioneer railroad engineer of the Pacific coast,” Theodore Judah was the chief engineer for the Sacramento Valley Railroad line that was completed along R Street in 1856. It was the first commercial railroad line west . . . — Map (db m144848) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Transportation by Water and Land
A symbolic bond developed between river transportation and agricultural interests that was both economic and social, and it endured well into the 20th century. The river transportation companies maintained regular contracts with Sacramento . . . — Map (db m144739) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Western Pacific Railroad
In 1909, Western Pacific Railroad built a freight depot near the Sacramento waterfront and began rail service to R Street. The rail line ran on the back side of the buildings on the north side of R Street, parallel to Whitney Alley. The line . . . — Map (db m144712) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 17 — Mill Creek ZanjaSanta Fe and Southern Pacific Railroad Bridges
Santa Fe Railroad extended from downtown Redlands following the Mill Creek Zanja. The 1892 wooden bridge crossing the Zanja remains as a visual relic of the famous Kite Shaped Track that extended to Mentone, Highland and San Bernardino. . . . — Map (db m143518) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Yucaipa — 528 — Yucaipa Adobe
Constructed in 1842 by Diego Sepulveda, nephew of Antonio Maria Lugo, this is believed to be the oldest house in San Bernardino County. The land, formerly controlled by San Gabriel Mission, was part of Rancho San Bernardino, granted to the Lugos in . . . — Map (db m143658) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 69 — Fort Guijarros Site
An outpost of Spain's far flung empire at its greatest extent, this fort was completed before 1800 from plans drawn by Alberto de Córdoba in 1795. Its major action came under Corporal José Velásquez on March 22, 1803, in the "Battle of San Diego . . . — Map (db m143528) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 72 — Juan Bandini
[Upper Marker] Dedicated to Juan Bandini 1800 – 1859 Patriot and Friend of the United States [Lower Marker] This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United . . . — Map (db m143529) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 53 — La Casa de Estudillo
1829   Large adobe-block townhouse built by José Antonio Estudillo. Included servants' quarter, work and storage rooms, living and dining rooms, and Roman Catholic chapel. 1884   Helen Hunt Jackson's Ramona published, linking the . . . — Map (db m143530) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — French 24-Pounder
Cast in bronze in 1754 for the French Army, this gun was used by the Spanish and captured by American Forces in Cuba during the Spanish-American War

Emplaced on this site July 1973 by order of Col. John L. Fellows Jr. Commanding . . . — Map (db m144260) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 1002 — Glen Canyon Park History
Unfortunately this marker has been badly vandalized. Missing portions are represented by ... Imagine how the Glen Canyon Park used to be part of the open ... hills far south of San Francisco... how you might feel if you came across this . . . — Map (db m143531) HM

1309 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1109
Paid Advertisement