Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Search Results

279 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 79
 
Johann Nestroy Marker - wide view image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 14, 2017
Johann Nestroy Marker - wide view
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Johann Nestroy
In diesem Hause wurde Johann Nestroy am 7. Dezember 1801 Geboren

-

(English translation:) On December 7, 1801, Johann Nestroy was born in this house. — Map (db m145374) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Mahnmal Gegen Krieg und Faschismus / Monument against War and FascismAlfred Hrdlicka (1928–2009)
Granite, marble, sandstone, bronze

This was once the site of Philipp-Hof, an imposing apartment block built during the prosperous final quarter of the 19th century. It was destroyed in an air-raid on March 12th 1945. Hundreds died . . . — Map (db m145358) HM WM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Memorial Plaque of the Archdiocese Vienna at Judenplatz
„Kiddusch HaSchem“ heißt „Heiligung Gottes“

Mit diesem Bewußtsein wählten Juden Wiens in der Synagoge hier am Judenplatz — dem Zentrum einer bedeutenden jüdischen Gemeinde — zur Zeit der Verfolgung . . . — Map (db m145366) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — The Security Committee of 1848
In diesem Hause trat der in den Revolutionstagen des Jahres 1848 zur Aufrechterhaltung der Ordnung vom Volke gewählte Sicherheitsausschuss am 26. Mai 1848 im Sitzungssaale zusammen

-

(English translation:) . . . — Map (db m145365) HM

New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Electrifying the Uptown / L'électrification du centre-ville
English: Saint John Energy was established by the Saint John Common Council in 1922 to manage and operate the transmission and distribution of electrical power and energy in the City of Saint John. The Union Street substation . . . — Map (db m145395) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Saint John – The Working Port / Saint John, port en activité
English: For more than two hundred years the City of Saint John and its sheltered, ice-free port, have been critical to the economic success of New Brunswick. Historically providing a port of entry for people and products, the . . . — Map (db m145394) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Stadtkreis Bayreuth), Bayreuth — E.T.A. Hoffman: Ein genialer Dichter und grosser Musiker / A Genius Poet and Great Musician
Im Geburtsjahr Richard Wagners schrieb der Bayreuther Dichter Jean Paul eine Vorrede zu E. T. A. Hoffmanns Fantasiestücken in Callots Manier, in der man folgende Prophezeiung lesen konnte: „Bisher warf immer der Sonnengott . . . — Map (db m145227) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Stadtkreis Bayreuth), Bayreuth — Spitalkirche / "Spital" Church
Die erste Spitalkirche wurde 1438/39 an dieser Stelle errichtet. Auch sie hatte keinen Turm, sondern nur einen Dachreiter. Die jetzige Spitalkirche erbaute Joseph Saint-Pierre, Architekt am markgräflichen Hof, zwischen 1747 . . . — Map (db m145219) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Stadtkreis Bayreuth), Bayreuth — Stille Wasser gründen tief... / Still Waters Run Deep
Im Zuge der Neugestaltungen im Bereich der Maximilianstraße erfolgten im Rahmen des Denkmalschutzgesetzes seit 2003 wiederholt vorgreifende oder baubegleitende Ausgrabungen. Zumeist hat man Reste der Stadtmauer oder Reste der . . . — Map (db m145222) HM
Guatemala, Alta Verapaz (Municipality de Cóban), Cobán — Oscar Majus K.
Oscar Majus K. Nacio en Hamburgo, Alemania el 13-9-1872 y murió en el mar, hacia Hamburgo, el 27-7-1936. Hombre preclaro que en 1917 trajo a Coban la prodigiosa semilla cardamomo. Un recuerdo a su memoria Municipalidad Coban A.V. 30 . . . — Map (db m145407) HM
Guatemala, Alta Verapaz (Municipality of Cobán), Cobán — Manuel Tot
Coban a su hijo Manuel Tot Procer y Martir de la Independencia de Centroamerica 15 de septiembre de 1973 Roldolfo Galeotti Torres, Escultor Centenario Alta Verapaz 4 de mayo de 1877 – 4 de mayo de 1977 Abrir año 2077 . . . — Map (db m145408) HM WM
Guatemala, Alta Verapaz (Municipality of Tactic), Tactic — Reconstruction of the Tactic Parish Church
Este templo arruinado por el terremoto de 4-2-1976 fue reconstruido por el Comité Pro-Reconstruccion de la iglesia. Presidente: Constantino Pelaez S. Vicepresidente: Alfonso Milian M. Secretario: Luis Cantoral P. Tesorero: . . . — Map (db m145409) HM
Guatemala, Baja Verapaz (Municipality of Purulhá), Purulhá — Sebastián Castro García
Sebastián Castro García Nació el 26 de febrero de 1948, en la finca El Zapote, Aldea Panimá, Purulhá B.V. propiedad de su abuelo Ramón Castro. Siendo sus padres: Pedro Castro Cruz y Felipa García durante su adolescencia además de . . . — Map (db m145411) HM
Guatemala, Baja Verapaz (Municipality of Salamá), Salamá — Miguel Angel Asturias
Prensa Libre, la Universidad San Carlos de Guatemala, Ministerio de Cultura y Deportes, Municipalidad de Salamá, en la celebración del Centenario del Nacimiento del Premio Nobel de Literatura Miguel Angel Asturias, nombre que llevará . . . — Map (db m145452) HM
Guatemala, Baja Verapaz (Municipality of Salamá), Salamá — Salamá, Baja Verapaz
¡Bienvenidos a Salamá, Baja Verapaz! Nuestro estandarte · Nuestros colores El nombre original de esta región fue Tucurutan a veces escrito como Tezulutlan o Tezulutlan, según afirma el diccionario Geográfico Nacional, Tierra de . . . — Map (db m145451) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Upphaf Frjálsra Fjarskipta Á Íslandi / The Beginning of Telecommunications in Iceland
þann 26. júní árið 1905 komst Ísland fyrst í fjarskiptasameand við umheiminn.

Þá var hér á félagstúni tekið á móti loftskeyti frá poldhu í Cornwall a Englandi. Loftskeytabúnaðurinn vara vegum Marconi Félagsins í London, en . . . — Map (db m145327) HM

Mexico, Aguascalientes (Municipality of Aguascalientes) — Aguascalientes Cathedral
Catedral Basilica Estilo (fachada) Barroco salomonico Construccion: de 1704 a 1738 Auspiciada por: Sres. Curas Antonio Flores de Acevedo · Juan de Larrea · Miguel Mauza de Zuñiga y Manuel Colon de Larreategui sucesivamente Maestros . . . — Map (db m145278) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of Tapachula), Tapachula — Tapachula and Chiapas
Tapachula 1821 Descripcion Arriba del marco pergamino que dice Tapachula del Nahoa. “Tapachol-atl:” lugar de tierras anegadas Abajo: Ramas de laurel y guirnaldas (Homenaje a los Heroes). Con cadenas de rosas aludiendo a . . . — Map (db m145218) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco García Salinas
Francisco García Salinas Texto no encontrado English translation: Francisco García Salinas Text not foundMap (db m145276) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco Leyva
Francisco Leyva Texto no encontrado English translation: Francisco Leyva Text not foundMap (db m145254) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco Sosa
Francisco Sosa Texto no encontrado English translation: Francisco Sosa Text not foundMap (db m145325) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Ignacio Manuel Altamirano
Ignacio Manuel Altamirano 1834-1893 Nacio en Tixtla, Gro Personalidad cimera de la Reforma destacado en las armas y eximia figura de las letras. Sus esfuerzos de superación personal y su pensamiento excelso son orgullo y ejemplo de la . . . — Map (db m145244) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Independence / Oliverio Martínez
La Independencia 1933-1938 Autor: Oliverio Martínez El tema de este grupo escultórico está dedicado a la Independencia. La Patria está representada por un gran personaje femenino, flanqueado por otro masculino situado a la izquierda . . . — Map (db m145458) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Jesús González Ortega
Jesús González Ortega Texto no encontrado English translation: Jesús González Ortega Text not foundMap (db m145271) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — José Diego Fernández
José Diego Fernández Texto no encontrado English translation: José Diego Fernández Text not foundMap (db m145255) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — José María Arteaga
Jose Maria Arteaga 1827 – 1865 Nació en la ciudad de México Dos veces gobernador de Querétaro y gobernador de Jalisco en 1864. Combatió durante la Guerra de Reforma y participó en la lucha contra la invasión francesa. Murió . . . — Map (db m145364) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — José María Iglesias
José María Iglesias Texto no encontrado English translation: José María Iglesias Text not foundMap (db m145257) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Miguel Lira
Miguel Lira Texto no encontrado English translation: Miguel Lira Text not foundMap (db m145362) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Pablo García
Pablo García Texto no encontrado English translation: Pablo García Text not foundMap (db m145324) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Santos Degollado
Santos Degollado Texto no encontrado English translation: Santos Degollado Text not foundMap (db m145248) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Agrarian Laws / Oliverio Martínez
Leyes Agrarias 1933-1938 Autor: Oliverio Martínez El tema de este grupo escultórico está dedicado a las Leyes Agrarias. La imagen vertical es la de un campesino que porta en la mano derecha la hoz y en la izquierda un titulo de . . . — Map (db m145384) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Labour Laws / Oliverio Martínez
Leyes Obreras 1933-1938 Autor: Oliverio Martínez El tema de este grupo escultórico está dedicado a las Leyes Obreras. La imagen congrega a tres personajes masculinos. La figura vertical del centro muestra el carácteristica empalme de . . . — Map (db m145509) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Reform Laws / Oliverio Martínez
Leyes de la Reforma 1933-1938 Autor: Oliverio Martínez El tema de este grupo escultórico está dedicado a las Leyes de Reforma. La Patria está representada por un gran personaje femenino que porta en las manos la espada de justicia. . . . — Map (db m145497) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Cooks Hall
Was built on this site Circa 1500 and rebuilt and enlarged 1674. A fire partially destroyed the hall which was again rebuilt, but was totally destroyed by fire in 1771. — Map (db m145211) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Conversions of the Revs. John and Charles Wesley
This tablet is erected to the glory of God in commemoration of the evangelical conversion of the Rev. John Wesley, M. A., on May 24, 1738. (The site of the meeting room of The Religious Society was probably 28 Aldersgate Street), . . . — Map (db m145213) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Penny Post
This building was the site of the Westminster office of the penny post and then the two-penny post, 1794 - 1834. — Map (db m145215) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Club
Here in the former Turk's Head Tavern Dr. Samuel Johnson & Joshua Reynolds founded The Club in 1764. — Map (db m145214) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dr. Williams's Library
Founded 1729 Moved to this site 1890 — Map (db m145208) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Rabindranath Tagore(1861 - 1941)
Indian Poet, Philosopher and First Nobel Laureate from Asia

Unveiled by HRH The Prince of Wales 7th July 2011

Sculpted by Shenda Amery Installed by The Tagore Centre UK — Map (db m145205) HM

Alabama (Blount County), Holly Springs — Holly Springs School
Four school sites have been located in this community known as Morton’s Center, Hew Hope, and Poplar Springs now Holly Springs. The first at Morton’s Center was taught in 1882 by George W. Burttram. The first school at New Hope was taught by . . . — Map (db m145410) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Estillfork — Walls of Jericho
Nature preserve, recreation area, and wildlife management area. This tract was protected and made available for public recreation through the efforts of the Alabama forever wild land trust. The Alabama state lands division of the department of . . . — Map (db m145464)
California (Alameda County), Alameda — ATK Baseball Field1916-1938
Alameda Taiku Kai (Alameda Athletic Club) During the years 1916-1938 this was the approximate location of home plate of the Alameda Japanese American ATK Baseball Field. Games were played on week-ends against other Japanese American and top . . . — Map (db m145337) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — They Brought Alameda the NewsPaul's Newstand Re-dedicated April 30, 2011
NEWSPAPERS were the main source of public information before the introduction of radio and television. The Bay Area was home to several daily newspapers and the larger publishers produced as many as five editions released throughout the day. . . . — Map (db m145341) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 206 — Josiah John Rose-Goldsmith House1891 - Historic Landmark 206
This landmark commemorates an all but forgotten community called Newbury and a pioneer carpenter, Josiah John Rose, builder of many San Francisco and Berkeley homes. Newbury, annexed later in 1891 by Berkeley was a thriving village. The sidewalks . . . — Map (db m145339) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 5 — American Bag Co.Oakland Waterfront Warehouse District
American Bag and Union Hide Company pioneered the vacuum cleaning and machine mend- ing of used burlap bags which it resold as "Guaranteed Amerbags” with an unconditional guarantee, an unusual practice at the time. The company also made new . . . — Map (db m145515) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 22 — Autocar SalesOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
This one story brick warehouse served as the showroom and service garage for The Autocar Sales & Service Company, an Ardmore, Pennsylvania car and truck manufacturer that pioneered the mass production of forward control trucks (cab-over design). . . . — Map (db m145495) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 10 — C.L. Greeno Co.Oakland Waterfront Warehouse District
The Cincinnati-based C. L. Greeno Company built the C. L. Greeno Pacific Coast Headquarters warehouse to receive upholstery and bedding supplies via rail from its Ohio factory for distribution throughout the area west of Denver. Favorable rail . . . — Map (db m145493) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 3 — Davis-Parker Whse.Oakland Waterfront Warehouse District
A tiny wholesale grocery firm was the first occupant of this warehouse built on speculation for developers Hyman Davis and M. Parker. Founded in San Francisco in 1896 by Samuel Sussman, and Gustav and Samuel I. Wormser, Sussman Wormser & Company . . . — Map (db m145505) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Former Safeway Headquarters
This building served as the corporate headquarters of Safeway Stores, Inc. from 1929 until 1997. The building, affectionately known as "4th & J" by it's occupants, was built in 1929 for Safeway by the Clinton Construction Company and was designed . . . — Map (db m145376) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Ky Eybright BoathouseEst. 1925
The University of California's Ky Ebright boathouse was located at this site from 1925 (when it was officially commissioned on Alumni Day) until 2003. At that time, the front portion was moved approximately 700 feet east to where it now stands . . . — Map (db m145340) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 18 — Oakland PlumbingOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
The Oakland Plumbing Supply Company warehouse and showroom was one of the few buildings constructed in the District during the 1920s that did not serve a wholesale grocery purpose. The company was nevertheless a significant Port of Oakland customer . . . — Map (db m145506) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 26 — Oakland PortalOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
The Oakland Portal's elaborate Beaux Arts façade conceals eight massive fans that draw in fresh air and expel foul air to prevent carbon monoxide buildup in the George A. Posey Tube, an underwater automobile tunnel that runs under Harrison Street . . . — Map (db m145508) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 24 — Poultry ProducersOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
In 1985, this warehouse was renamed "The Egghouse” after the building's first use as an egg distribution center for Poultry Producers of Central California. Poultry Producers originated the Nulaid® brand name, a brand employed today to . . . — Map (db m145511) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 23 — United GrocersOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
"United We Buy ... Individually We Sell” was the marketing tag line of United Grocers, Ltd., a wholesale grocer that supplied 1,460 retail outlets in northern California and Nevada and posted $1 billion in annual sales by the time it was . . . — Map (db m145499) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 1 — W.P. Fuller & Co.Oakland Waterfront Warehouse District
The West Coast's largest and oldest paint company built the District's first warehouse. W. P. Fuller Paint Company used the warehouse to distribute paint and window glass throughout the western United States. Although the company has been sold many . . . — Map (db m145502) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Western Pacific RROakland Waterfront Warehouse District
After winning a legal challenge to Southern Pacific Railroad's 50-year stranglehold on the Oakland waterfront, Western Pacific Railroad Company inaugurated freight service in December 1909 and opened the Western Pacific Freight Office at Third and . . . — Map (db m145512) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 9 — Western StatesOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
Western States Grocery Company roasted over 250,000 pounds of coffee a year in the basement of this warehouse. In addition to coffee, Western States distributed a full line of grocery products. Western States competed on price (“one case or a . . . — Map (db m145498) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — O. Oliver GoodallFirst Lieutenant — Army Air Corps
Lt. O. Oliver Goodall lived at 679 W. Harriet Street from 1961 until his death in 2010 and made a powerful impact on his adopted communities of Altadena and Pasadena, in addition to contributing to elevating the dignity and civil rights of . . . — Map (db m145504) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 5 — Chamber of Commerce BuildingHistory Lives Here
With the demise of the famous Red Line electric railway, land in the median of Huntington Drive directly across from the famous Santa Anita Park horse track became available on which to build a headquarters for the Arcadia Chamber of Commerce in . . . — Map (db m145281) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — Thoroughbred RacingWalk of Champions
Located along Arcadia’s Huntington Drive, just east of Santa Anita Avenue, the Thoroughbred Racing Walk of Champions is a tribute to the horse racing community that has been an integral part of Arcadia history for more than 100 years. The . . . — Map (db m145251) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Rocketdyne Santa Susana Field LaboratoryAIAA Historic Aerospace Site
On 15 November 1950, the SSFL conducted its first official test with a Rocketdyne-designed XLR43-NA-1 large liquid propellant rocket engine, which later became the Redstone engine. Encompassing 2558 acres, 18 large static test stands, 5 component . . . — Map (db m145228) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glassell Park — Verdugo Village
One of many distinct districts of Glassell Park, Verdugo Village is a two block commercial corridor in the historic Sagamore Park tract (est. 1920s) situated along the early transportation route that linked the Rancho San Raphael (1784) and the . . . — Map (db m145372) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — 235 — Casa Adobe de San Rafael
Built by Tomás and Maria Sanchez, 1865-1871. Restored by the City of Glendale, 1932. California Historical Landmark No. 235. — Map (db m145352) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Confluence of Waters and Cultures
The Arroyo Seco flows down from the San Gabriel Mountains to join the Los Angeles River on its way to the ocean. This spot, where the two rivers flow together, the “confluence”, is near the birthplace of the city of Los Angeles. . . . — Map (db m145223) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — General HospitalEntrance Facade — 1933 —
Placed high above the towering main entrance, nine enrobed figures stand vigil and greet visitors to LAC+USC General Hospital and half-way up the building, three classically robed figures stand atop columns in window niches. Completed . . . — Map (db m145460) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Rancho Rosa CastillaSite of California State University Los Angeles
On this site in 1776 Franciscan missionaries built one of 36 original California adobes. Historical markerMap (db m145404) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Monrovia — 14 — Upton Sinclair House
Upton Sinclair House has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m145405) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 172 — Pioneer Oil Refinery← 3 Miles
In 1875 the Star Oil Company, one of the predecessors of the Standard Oil Company of California, drilled its first Pico Canyon well, which yielded about one hundred barrels per day. The discovery resulted in the erection of the first commercial oil . . . — Map (db m145418) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — 168 — Oak of the Golden Dream← 6 Miles
In Placeritas Canyon, March 1842, Francisco Lopez y Arballo, while gathering wild onions from around an old oak, discovered gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. It is estimated that $80,000 in gold was discovered as a result of this . . . — Map (db m145417) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 1006 — Beale's Cut Stagecoach Pass
[This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No. 1006 on May 11, 1992. There are three rock and concrete bases which at one time displayed four different plaques. The plaques are now missing. The following plaque was . . . — Map (db m145459) HM
California (Los Angeles County), West Hills — Rocketdyne Santa Susana Field LaboratoryAIAA Historic Aerospace Site
On 15 November 1950, the SSFL conducted its first official test with a Rocketdyne-designed XLR43-NA-1 large liquid propellant rocket engine, which later became the Redstone engine. Encompassing 2558 acres, 18 large static test stands, 5 component . . . — Map (db m145188) HM
California (Orange County), San Clemente — 562 — La Cristianita
Two miles inland from this point, in Los Cristianitos Valley, the first Christian baptism in Alta California was performed by Padre Francisco Gómez, a member of the Portolá Expedition, in 1769. — Map (db m145307) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Williams House
This place was built in 1884 as a home for L. Williams, a flour merchant. The structure is primarily Stick style, with some Baroque and Second Empire influences which lingered into the 1880 Victorian Era.

It was moved about 40 feet west in . . . — Map (db m145240) HM

California (San Diego County), Blair Valley — 647 — Butterfield Overland Mail Route
This pass, puerta, between the desert and the cooler valleys to the north, was used by the Mormon Battalion, Kearny's Army of the West, the Butterfield Overland Mail Stages, and emigrants who eventually settled the west. The eroded scar on the left . . . — Map (db m145313) HM
California (San Diego County), Naval Air Station, North Island — Vice Admiral Edward H. MartinFitness and Liberty Complex — For Extraordinary Heroism, Courageous Sacrifice, and Distinguished Service —
Edward H. Martin lived a life of selfless service. In July 1967, as executive officer of VA-34, he was shot down by surface-to-air missiles while leading a flight of A-4 Skyhawks from the USS Intrepid against targets in North Vietnam. For almost six . . . — Map (db m145312) HM WM
California (San Diego County), Pala — 243 — La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala
Notable for its bell-tower or campanile. The chapel was built by Father Peyri, 1816. Almost destroyed by earthquake and storm. But later restored. Indians are still at Pala. — Map (db m145311) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 53 — La Casa de Estudillo
1829   Large adobe-block townhouse built by José Antonio Estudillo. Included servants' quarter, work and storage rooms, living and dining rooms, and Roman Catholic chapel. 1884   Helen Hunt Jackson's Ramona published, linking the . . . — Map (db m145304) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 1044 — Mission Beach Roller CoasterGiant Dipper
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m145282) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Remembering Chinese Pioneers
Remembering Chinese Pioneers The Santa Cruz Chinese community buried over 80 people at Evergreen Cemetery. It was customary for specialized 'bone pickers' to later exhume bones and send them home to China. Some Chinese remain buried here. . . . — Map (db m132265) HM
Colorado (Alamosa County), Mosca — Pike and Southwest CommerceAn Inauspicious Beginning
29th January. Thursday. Finding the distance too great to attempt crossing immediately to the river, in a direct line, we marched obliquely to a copse of woods, which made down a considerable distance from the mountains. Distance 17 miles. Saw . . . — Map (db m145393) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — Village of Christiana
Colonial River Port and Crossroads A National Historic District 1684 [reverse side] Named for Queen Christina of Sweden Home of Col. John Read Landing of Marquis de Lafayette and 1500 Troops. March 1781 Major colonial . . . — Map (db m145361)
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Purple Heart Trail in Delaware
Dedicated by Governor Jack A. Markell and the Military Order of the Purple Heart Department of Delaware July 27, 2011 The National Purple Heart Trail memorializes those heroic soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who have had the . . . — Map (db m145360) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-169 — Alexis I. duPont Middle School
The oldest portion of this structure was erected in 1893 to replace two smaller schools that were no longer adequate to serve the needs of local students. This building was constructed largely through the efforts of the duPont family, long-time . . . — Map (db m145425) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Brandywine Springs
A fashionable spa and hotel was located on this site from 1827-1853. Distinguished personalities, such as Henry Clay, came for relaxation and enjoyment. T.U. Walter, the architect of the U.S. Capitol, designed and remodeled the hotel buildings. . . . — Map (db m145424) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-79 — Camp DuPont
First established May, 1861. The Fourth Regiment Delaware Volunteer Infantry camped here June to October 1862, whence they moved to a camp of the same name near Kennett Pike. The remustered First Delaware Regiment camped here in early February 1864, . . . — Map (db m145423) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-223 — Fells Mill Historic District
Constructed in 1749, the area is home to one of the earliest mill sites on the Red Clay Creek. A three-story flour mill once served as the center of activity on the site, and was the location of Oliver Evans’ first automated flour mill operation. In . . . — Map (db m145422) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-100 — Gibraltar — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places ~ 1998 —
In 1844, John Rodney Brinkle, grandnephew of Delaware patriot Caesar Rodney, built the Italianate core of this Brandywine granite home, named for the high, prominent rocky outcropping upon which it sits. In 1909, Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) and . . . — Map (db m145461) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-87 — Mount Olive Cemetery
In 1862 the members of Mother AUMP Church, also known as the Union Church of African Members, purchased property at the corner of Lancaster Ave. and Union St. in Wilmington for the purpose of establishing a cemetery. In 1914 the Church sold the . . . — Map (db m145421) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-34 — Robert Kirkwood, Jr.
Born in 1756, Robert Kirkwood, Jr. spent his youth on the family farm several miles north of Newark. Kirkwood eventually enrolled at the Newark Academy, later to become the University of Delaware. When the American Revolution began, Kirkwood was . . . — Map (db m145279) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kenilworth Park — Beauty and BusinessKenilworth Aquatic Gardens — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
"Beauty cannot be purchased, it must be created." — Helen Shaw Fowler Welcome to these aquatic gardens—transcend the busy streets and embrace the unique beauty, peace and natural rhythm to be found here. . . . — Map (db m145317) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kenilworth Park — Preserve and ProtectKenilworth Aquatic Gardens — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
National parks are special places owned by all Americans. Caring for these treasures is everyone's job. Throughout the country, citizen organized friends grouped to get people interested in and involved with preserving natural and cultural . . . — Map (db m145319) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — 7 — Like a VillageCity Within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail —
Churches have deep roots in the life of this historic African American community. A number of congregations in this immediate area, including Lincoln Temple United Church of Christ on this corner and Vermont Avenue Baptist Church just one block . . . — Map (db m145331) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — ChoicesA New Era of Choices
After the Civil War, slavery ended, but former slaves continued to live on the island. In this new era, former slaves and new landowners had to make difficult choices. In 1869 the Rollins family settled at the former plantation and called it . . . — Map (db m145390) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Fort George IslandThe Plantation Era in Florida
The plantation era began in Florida in 1763 after Britain took control from Spain. Soon after, the first planter was given land here and brought his slaves and household. Britain established a plantation economy and encouraged its growth by . . . — Map (db m145387) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Plantation HouseHistory of a House
The House at the North end will be in the course of a month a very comfortable habitation, & in any other country a handsome situation. John McQueen, Jr., 1798 Planter John McQueen built the original portion of the house with the use of . . . — Map (db m145389) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave Trade / La Traite d'EsclavesThe Port of Nantes / Le Port de Nantes
English: Once the Portuguese made successful transatlantic trading voyages, other European nations quickly followed. In the eighteenth century, the port of Nantes became the busiest French port involved in the European slave trade . . . — Map (db m145391) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave Trade / La Traite d'EsclavesA Valuable Commodity / Une marchandise de grande valeur
English: Slavery has been a component of human history through time. Whether captured, purchased, or taken as spoils of war, enslaved people had wide-ranging experiences, but they all shared one thing in common: loss of freedom. . . . — Map (db m145392) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — WaterwaysA Link to the World
Where there is now a tranquil river scene, a dock hustled and bustled with activity during the plantation era. Cotton bales were sent to market, and slaves and finished goods were brought here by boat. Most plantations were located along . . . — Map (db m145388) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — Coastal Weather
Has a hurricane ever hit Jacksonville Beach? Records of Northeast Florida storms began in 1885. Since that time, Jacksonville Beach has had mild hurricane activity compared to many other coastal areas. Three relatively recent storms have come . . . — Map (db m145378) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — 3 — The StudioWashington Oaks Historic District
In the 1950s, the Youngs constructed a studio for Mrs. Young’s daughter, Virginia Powis Brown, who was a talented artist. Large skylights on the north side of the house fill the studio with natural light. The caretaker’s daughter, Francis Faye . . . — Map (db m145357) HM
Florida (Lake County), Mt Dora — Lakeside Inn
Lakeside Inn Est. 1883 was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior on March 19, 1987 — Map (db m145381) HM
Florida (Lake County), Mt Dora — Old Mount Dora Post Office
The area received its first post office in 1880. Ross C. Tremarin was appointed as the first postmaster and named the lakeside outpost “Royellou” after his three children, Roy, Ella and Louis. Two years later, the town’s official name . . . — Map (db m145363) HM
Florida (Lake County), Mt Dora — The Mount Dora Lawn Bowling Club
The Mount Dora Lawn Bowling Club was envisioned in 1925 by Willard Bryant and Fred Thompson, two winter visitors from Hartford, Connecticut. They approached Charles Edgerton, owner of the historic Lakeside Inn and member of the City’s Park . . . — Map (db m145383) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-500 — Bradentown Depot
The Atlantic Coastline Railroad Company Passenger and Freight Depot Bradentown Florida, built c. 1925, became the Bradenton Depot when Bradentown dropped the w from its name. The historical significance on local and state levels was tremendous as . . . — Map (db m144859) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Industry finds St. MarysCanning in Camden — St. Marys History Walk —
In 1912, three canning plants began operations in St. Marys. “Davis and Brandon” had a plant near Oak Grove cemetery specializing in the preservation of local shrimp, string beans and sweet potatoes. The Hardee Brothers canned shrimp . . . — Map (db m145206) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Industry finds St. Marys:Riding the Rails — St. Marys History Walk —
The state of Georgia issued a charter in 1856 for a St. Marys “Rail-Road” company. Shortly after Lemuel Johnson moved to St. Marys in the early 1900s, “the city of St. Marys granted land to his railroad…In 1908 the tracks . . . — Map (db m145203) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Industry finds St. Marys:Pine Gum to Turpentine to Paper — St. Marys History Walk —
The 1870s saw a county-wide boom in the production of turpentine, a resin distilled from the gum of pine trees. Gum harvesting was labor-intensive, back-breaking and conducted during the hottest, most humid time of year. After collection, the gum . . . — Map (db m145266) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — International Border TownSt. Marys History Walk
Today, the St. Marys River is the border between Georgia and Florida. During much of its history St. Marys was the southernmost community to separate two nations. Georgians closely watched their neighbors to the south. The fledging nation . . . — Map (db m145199) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — Shipbuilding Launched in St. MarysSt. Marys History Walk
Live Oak, widely used in early American shipbuilding , made St. Marys a natural site for shipyard enterprise. Lumber from the live oak was specifically used to make curved and especially strong , structural members of the hull. In the 1790s, Col. . . . — Map (db m145242) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Forgotten BattleThe War of 1812 — St. Marys History Walk —
President Harry S. Truman called The War of 1812 “the silliest damned war we ever fought. It should have been resolved through diplomacy.” Nevertheless, Congress declared war against Great Britain on June 18, 1812. The war was mainly . . . — Map (db m145198) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Last Battles of The War of 1812St. Marys History Walk
Even though the Treaty of Ghent ending the War of 1812 had been signed on December 24, 1814, and the British had sustained a stunning defeat at the Battle of New Orleans January 8, 1815, the war still came to St. Marys. On January 13, 1815, an . . . — Map (db m145246) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St. Marys — The Washington Pump & OakSt. Marys History Walk
St. Marys’ fresh drinking water was provided by six original wells. The last working well, located in the median in front of Orange Hall, was polluted by flooding. When George Washington died in 1799, St. Marys’ citizens marched from the . . . — Map (db m145204) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — James Lemen
James Lemen Born in Virgina, Nov. 20 1760 Died in Illinois Jan. 8 1823 A Revolutionary Soldier, Indian Fighter, Anti Slavery Leader, Baptist Minster and Organizer of the First Churches in Illinois. His wife Katherine Ogle . . . — Map (db m144921) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — La Belle Fontaine(Beautiful Spring)
The second American settlement in the northwest territory was established in 1782 by Capt. James Moore, an Officer of the American Revolution serving with the Virginia Militia. He was commissioned by Gov. Patrick Henry and sent George Rogers Clark . . . — Map (db m145121) HM WM
Iowa (Carroll County), Carroll — The Miracle Cornfield Landing of 1960
At 1:40 am during a blizzard on January 18th, 1960, a World War II and Korean War marine veteran conducted a successful emergency landing of a DC-3 airplane a few yards north of this spot.  

Shortly after an 8:30pm takeoff from St. Louis, . . . — Map (db m145234) HM

Kentucky (Carter County), Counts Crossroads — 1222 — Aviation Pioneer – Matthew B. Sellers
Matthew Sellers is among first to experiment with gliding and power flight. Did this research at his home and laboratory, 6 miles south, 1897-1911. Built most advanced wind tunnel of his day, 1903, to study lift and drag of various wing designs; and . . . — Map (db m145292) HM
Kentucky (Carter County), Grayson — 637 — A Masterful RetreatConfederate Raids and Invasions and a Federal Retreat, in Kentucky.
Retreating from Cumberland Gap General George W. Morgan’s Union force of 8,000 men camped here Sept. 1862. CSA Morgan’s Raiders harassed USA, 30 miles along here; skirmishing, felling trees across roads and preempting food and supplies. Covering 200 . . . — Map (db m145350) HM
Kentucky (Carter County), Hitchins — 2246 — Eastern Kentucky RailwayHitchins
Here the EK had a junction with the Elizabethtown, Lexington & Big Sandy Railway that connected with the Ashland Coal and Iron Railway in Denton. January 1882 both would become part of Chesapeake & Ohio Railway. The EK and C&O shared a depot . . . — Map (db m145351) HM
Kentucky (Carter County), Olive Hill — 1177 — Beckham County
Created from parts of Carter, Lewis and Elliott Counties with county seat here by legislative act signed Feb. 9, 1904, by Gov. J.C. W Beckham for whom it was named. C. C. Brooks appointed County Judge. On April 29, 1904, the Court of Appeals . . . — Map (db m145288) HM
Kentucky (Carter County), Olive Hill — 640 — Home of Gov. Fields
“Honest Bill from Olive Hill.” Home of Gov. William Jason Fields, 34th Governor of Kentucky, 1923-27. Promoted Kentucky’s first grant of Federal aid for road construction, consolidation of schools, teacher-training colleges at . . . — Map (db m145260) HM
Kentucky (Carter County), Willard — 2301 — Eastern Kentucky RailwayWillard
In 1873, line was extended from Grayson to Willard. Located here were a turntable, water tower, railroad scales, & engine house. Near-by, the Lick Branch & Lost Creek spurs, as well as EK coal mines and coal camp existed. In 1892, an angry . . . — Map (db m145353) HM
Kentucky (Lawrence County), Webbville — 2056 — Eastern Kentucky Railway
This site became the railhead of E. K. Railway when 1.77 miles of track was laid from Willard, 1889, completing 36 miles of track from Riverton. The extension from Willard to Webbville was made primarily to provide an outlet for forest . . . — Map (db m145487) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Louisiana National Guard Memorial
Since 1636, the Minuteman has kept vigilant watch over our Nation and represents the men and women of the Louisiana National Guard who proudly serve and bravely answer the call of duty. Honored here are those who made the ultimate sacrifice to . . . — Map (db m145225) HM WM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Belmont Plantation
Land was an original Spanish Grant to Francois Pellerin. Property then owned successively by the Sterling, Peebles and finally the Wyche families. This plantation has produced sugar since the late 19th century and is site of unusual water powered . . . — Map (db m145406) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Eddie L. Dorsey, MD; Ima Pierson, DDS; Howard C. Scoggins, MD; Luins Williams, MDMay 17-18, 1944
Along with leaders of the newly formed NAACP chapter, Drs. Dorsey, Pierson, Scoggins, and Williams were violently expelled from Iberia Parish on May 17-18, 1944, because they supported Black workers, who successfully petitioned the federal . . . — Map (db m145416) HM
Louisiana (Washington Parish), Bogalusa — The Greater Ebenezer Baptist ChurchMatthew 5:16
The Greater Ebenezer Baptist Church has been utilized in support of community and civil rights activities prior and since the historic 1960s Civil Rights Movement. The only church in the Bogalusa community that permitted assembly of grassroots . . . — Map (db m144422) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Kinder Farm Ice House
Henry Kinder Sr. built this ice house about 1910, shortly after buying this farm and moving from Curtis Bay to Millersville. Ice house was refurbished by Dave Barry, A Friend of Kinder Farm Park. There was always a need for a . . . — Map (db m145232) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Sawmill
Sawmills were originally powered by water, making ownership of a mill difficult for those who could not harness water power. In the 1880's, smaller sawmills that could be run by steam engines began to be manufactured. Many companies began to . . . — Map (db m145230) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — The Kinder Farmhouse
Built around 1925 by Henry Kinder and his wife Hilda (Yanke) would raise their 8 children in this American four square brick home. This house has served as the heartbeat of the farm for over 50 years and in 1979 Henry Kinder's sons, Edward, . . . — Map (db m145231) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0005 — 1600 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society 1770Map (db m145475) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0027 — 1602 Lancaster Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1795Map (db m145474) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 10 — 1602 Shakespeare Street
. . . — Map (db m145476) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1609 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society — Map (db m145478) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1621 Lancaster Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society — Map (db m145472) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1625 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register of Historic Districts Public and private documents show this lot owned by Wm Fell & sold to Thomas Usher in 1789. The present front section of four rooms was built in 1792. The . . . — Map (db m145480) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1627 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1790Map (db m145481) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1628 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society — Map (db m145484) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0040 — 1630 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society 1890Map (db m145486) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0039 — 1632 Shakespeare Street
. . . — Map (db m145485) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0020 — 1633 Lancaster Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1795Map (db m145471) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0022 — 1723 Lancaster Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1869 Map (db m145469) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0036 — 719 South Ann Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1803 Map (db m145468) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 823 South Bond Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society — Map (db m145488) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Historic Ships in Baltimore"Walk the Decks of History!" — Baltimore Maritime Museum —
US Coast Guard Cutter, Taney, the only warship still afloat that saw action during the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, was commissioned in 1936. This 326-foot High Endurance Cutter is one of seven Secretary class ships built. . . . — Map (db m145465) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Honor Roll
"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain." 1941 World War II 1945 Michael P. Angelonga U.S.A. Joseph Balek U.S.A. Jess Barton U.S.A. Andrew Baumer U.S.A. Kilian J. Buettner U.S.A. Carroll L. Caples . . . — Map (db m145466) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Memory of Edward Fell / William Fell / Colonel Edward Fell / William Fell
In memory of Edward Fell Maryland 1723 from Lancaster, England. Acquired land, Jonestown. Later part of Baltimore Town. Importer, died 1743. William Fell Brother of Edward. Maryland 1730. Married Sarah Bond 1732. Acquired thousand . . . — Map (db m145477) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Candler BuildingFirst Operational Headquarters of the Social Security System
From 1936 - 1960, the Candler Building served as the operational headquarters of the U.S. Social Security system. It was here that the first Social Security numbers were issued, the records were kept and the benefits computed for millions of . . . — Map (db m145463) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — George and Betsy Sherman Hall
Named in honor of George and Betsy Sherman, in recognition of their sustained generosity and deep commitment to making a difference through education. Their philanthropy in the Baltimore community has helped serve at-risk children and families, and . . . — Map (db m145235) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Janet and Walter Sondheim Hall
Named in honor of Baltimore's legendary civic leader and his wife, Sondheim Hall and the Janet and Walter Sondheim Public Affairs Scholars Program affirm UMBC's connections to Baltimore and the university's mission to integrate research, teaching . . . — Map (db m145236) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Joseph Beuys Tree Partnership2000 - 2001
The true capital of the world is the human ability for creativity, freedom and self-determination in all their working places. — Joseph Beuys Joseph Beuys Tree Partnership was inspired by the German . . . — Map (db m145237) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Chemistry Building
Named in honor of Robert and Jane Meyerhoff, whose commitment to nurturing the potential of others launched the Meyerhoff Scholarship program at UMBC and established the University as a leader in achieving both excellence and diversity. Their . . . — Map (db m145233) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Halethorpe — Site of Manual Labor School for Indigent Boys1839 - 1922
"Baltimore Farm Where They Raise — Good, Honest Citizens", "Just outside the pretty little village of Arbutus, about seven miles from Baltimore, there is a farm whose principle product for 60 years has been men. It is a beautiful farm, too, . . . — Map (db m145239) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Calvert — Calvert Village
40-acre grant from William Penn in 1701 on which present East Nottingham Friends Meeting House built, 1724, with stone addition completed in 1752. Used as American army hospital in 1778. Cross Keys Tavern, built in 1744, was mid-way on Old . . . — Map (db m145437) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — A Historic Hub of Commerce
Formerly known as the “Village of Bohemia,” Chesapeake City owes its existence to the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. From the time work began on the canal in 1824, the village became a hub of activity and a thriving port, creating . . . — Map (db m145256) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — Beck's Landing
Named after Mayor Cliff Beck (1996-2000) Funding has been provided by the Department of Natural Resources - Program Open Space Chesapeake City Ferry Service November 1942 - September 1949 Life in the town of Chesapeake City was . . . — Map (db m145338) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Conowingo — The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal
The corporate title of the company authorized in 1783 to build one of the first inland waterways in America. The bed of this canal and some of its stone locks are still visible near this road. — Map (db m145441) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — The Anchorage
Home of the Lusbys in the early 1700’s. Ruth Lusby and Commodore Jacob Jones married in 1821, made the Anchorage their home and enlarged it in 1835. Jones served on the “Philadelphia” when it ran aground at Tripoli and commanded the . . . — Map (db m145440) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — “Partridge Hill”Built c. 1760
Home of Henry Hollingsworth, merchant, legislator and colonel of Elk Battalion of Militia in Revolutionary Way as Commissary for the Eastern Shore. He obtained supplies for the Americans and French allies embarking near here in 1781 on voyage down . . . — Map (db m145431) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Creswell Hall
The home of John A. J. Creswell who nominated James Buchanan for President in 1856 and turned Republican in 1861. He was successively Assistant-Adjutant General of Maryland, member of the House of Representatives, Senator and Postmaster by . . . — Map (db m145436) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — ElktonOriginally called “Head of Elk”
Lafayette embarked his troops March 8, 1781 to capture Benedict Arnold. Returned April 9, began overland march to Virginia April 12, 1781. Washington and Rochambeau with their combined forces stopped Sept. 6-7, 1781 on way to . . . — Map (db m145434) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Elkton, Wedding Capital of the East
In the early 20th century, Maryland had no waiting period for issuing marriage licenses, and couples from throughout the Northeast flocked to Elkton—the first county seat south of the State line—where they could be married without delay. . . . — Map (db m145433) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Henry Deibert and E. Deibert Bros. Barge BuildingElk Landing 1889 to 1911
Workers outfitting anchor chain on the barge “Arundel”. She was 215 ft. long, 30 ft. wide and 25 ft. deep. Notice the large expanse of marshland across the Elk Creek in the area of Fort Defiance.

An estimated 200 “Schooner . . . — Map (db m145462) HM

Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Holly Hall
Built c. 1810–1820 by James Sewall. He was Clerk of Cecil County Court 1805–1841; Brigade Major of Maryland Militia and a Commander at nearby Fort Defiance in War of 1812; one of founders of Trinity Episcopal Church, Elkton in 1832. — Map (db m145435) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Mitchell House
Built in 1769 as the home of Dr. Abraham Mitchell, noted physician. During the Revolutionary War he converted the house into a hospital for the use of wounded soldiers of the Continental Army. General Lafayette was a friend of the Mitchell family . . . — Map (db m145432) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Old Post RoadEstablished 1666
Where it crosses the Mason and Dixon Line, dividing the States of Maryland and Delaware. Run 1763–1767 — Map (db m145430) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Strong DefenseStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail-War of 1812 — Fort Hollingsworth-Elk Landing —
Three defensive earthworks safeguarded Elkton---Fort Hollingsworth, here, plus Defiance and Frederick downriver. A 60-foot chain across the channel secured the Elk River. On April 29, 1813, defenders at Fort Defiance fired on approaching . . . — Map (db m145473) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Wilna
Boyhood home of William Whann Mackall. Appointed to the U. S. Military Academy in 1834. Resigned from the U. S. Army, joined the Confederacy and served on the staffs of Generals Albert Sydney Johnston, Braxton Bragg and Joseph E. Johnston. General . . . — Map (db m145439) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — “O! say can you see…”Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail traces the War of 1812 in the Chesapeake. Along the trail you'll encounter tangible evidence of the war and stories that bring the people and events to life. Discover the far-reaching impacts of the . . . — Map (db m145483) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Maryland Women in Military Service MonumentDedicated 2014
Obverse Honoring women from the State of Maryland, past and present, who have served our nation honorably and proudly, in war and peace. Reverse Notable Accomplishments of Women in Military Service Although women have . . . — Map (db m145479) HM WM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Overlook of General Howe’s Landing
On August 25, 1777, after a month’s voyage from New York, 15,000 British troops led by Sir William Howe disembarked on the shores of the Elk River approximately two miles east of this site. The fleet of 300 vessels which had transported them was . . . — Map (db m145426) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — St. Mary Anne’s ChurchNorth Elk Parish – 1706
The building, erected 1742, is one of the oldest in Cecil County. The cornerstone bears the initials of the Rector and Vestrymen at that time. Communion vessels, a bible and a book of common prayer presented 1718 by Queen Anne of England still are . . . — Map (db m145427) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — Count de Rochambeau’s Troops
Crossed the Susquehanna River in five divisions and made their 23rd camp here at the end of August 1782 on the return from Yorktown victory to the north. — Map (db m145428) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — Old Post Road - Lower Susquehanna Ferry - Rodgers' Tavern
Old Post Road Established 1666 Lower Susquehanna Ferry established 1695 Rodgers’ Tavern where George Washington frequently stopped between 1781–1798 — Map (db m145429) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — John A. J. Creswell
Born at this house at Creswell’s Ferry, now Port Deposit, in 1828, John Creswell graduated from Dickinson College and became a lawyer. He was elected to the General Assembly in 1861, became Adjutant General in 1862, was elected to Congress that same . . . — Map (db m145442) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Smith’s Falls
In 1608 Captain John Smith ascended the Susquehannah River until stopped by the rocks. On his map he calls this point “Smyths Fales” marking it by a X which he explains as meaning “hath bin discovered what beyond is by . . . — Map (db m145453) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — USNTC Bainbridge
Named for Commodore William Bainbridge, who served in the Barbary Wars and the War of 1812. The U.S. Naval Training Center Bainbridge operated for 34 years. Beginning in 1942 as a recruit training command for World War II, and closing in 1976. The . . . — Map (db m145443) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — This is a Section of “The General’s Highway”
Route of General Washington’s triumphant journey, December 3-23, 1783, New York to Annapolis, to resign as Commander-In-Chief of the first American Army Originally erected 1932 by Dorsey Chapter N.S.D.A.R. to commemorate . . . — Map (db m145385) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Bethesda - Chevy Chase Veterans Memorial
★ ★ ★ ★ This memorial is dedicated to those men and women of Bethesda-Chevy Chase area who gave their lives in the defense of our country. World War I World War II Korean War Vietnam War The Gulf Wars . . . — Map (db m145229) WM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — History or Memory?Antietam Battlefield's Monuments and their Meanings
Veterans, state organizations, and individuals have placed 97 monuments at Antietam. Most of them are Union monuments constructed during the first twenty years after Congress established the battlefield in 1890. Each monument represents the . . . — Map (db m145454) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — The Paint Creek Cider Mill
The History of Goodison - It All Started with the Mill The Paint Creek Cider Mill's history shares a story of settlement, spanning the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries. Always the economic and social hub of Goodison, the buildings on this . . . — Map (db m145403) HM
Minnesota (Mower County), Albert Lea — Everyone's Country Estate
Today more than one hundred parks, waysides, monuments, historic sites, and trails are operated by the State of Minnesota. They fulfill the plea of Newton H. Winchell, state geologist and archaeologist, who in 1889 stressed the value of a system . . . — Map (db m145220) HM
Minnesota (Mower County), Grand Meadow — Historical site
This building, designed by architects William G. Purcell and George G. Elmslie stands as a historic symbol of the Prairie School style of architecture.

Built in 1910, the building captures many of the artistic and structural design . . . — Map (db m145221) HM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Hanley-Clayton Donation Helps Establish the St. Louis County Seat
Martin F. Hanley sought to establish the County Seat at the resort property at Mount Olive near where Olive Boulevard and Hanley Road intersect today. Hanley's former neighbor, Mr. Ecker, operated the resort. Hanley and Ecker offered to donate 100 . . . — Map (db m145210) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Historic Hanley House
Built in 1855 by Martin Franklin Henley, the Historic Hanley House is the oldest building in the City of Clayton and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house once stood on just over 100 acres of farmland. In 1876, Martin F. . . . — Map (db m145212) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — The Hanley Farm, Past and Present
In 1847, Martin F. Hanley purchased 100.6 acres of land from William Wyatt for $750. Hanley initially made his living as a blacksmith but turned his attention to farming following the construction of his home in 1855. Built in the Greek revival . . . — Map (db m145209) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Catherine "Kay" SpringHistoric Preservationist — 28 May 1936 - 11 December 2017 —
Kay dedicated her life working for the City of Florissant with a genuine affection for everyone she met. Kay played key roles in renovating many treasures including the John B. Meyers House/Barn, Archambault House, the Log Cabin & the Gittemeier . . . — Map (db m145310) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Charles Castello22 May 1839 - 11 December 1893
Elected twenty-seven times to the office of Mayor he served from 1865 to 1890 and then again from 1892 to 1893, dying in office. He helped to bring the West End Narrow Gauge Railroad to Florissant and under his leadership Florissant offered land and . . . — Map (db m145367) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — David L. Reynolds7 November 1936 - 9 January 2003
A United States Navy veteran, Dave served on the Florissant City Council from 1976 - 1994 and was Council President in 1979. He served as President of the St. Louis County Municipal League in 1988 and was elected to four terms as a Missouri State . . . — Map (db m145370) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Donald L. Bond"Mr. North County" — 17 June 1931 - 21 April 1990 —
Florissant Councilman 1959 - 1977 St. Louis County Councilman 1977 - 1990 Don earned a reputation for fighting for his constituents, and for a high quality of life in Florissant and North County. Always easily accessible, he hosted annual . . . — Map (db m145371) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Francois Dunegant dit Borosierb. Canada 1752 - d. Florissant September 13, 1825 — A Walk Through History —
Commissioned by the Spanish Governor as the Military and Civil Commandant of the village of St. Ferdinand de Florissant throughout the Spanish regime, often described as a man of honesty and integrity who shaped and guided the little settlement of . . . — Map (db m145290) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Gregorie AubuchonFlorissant's First Mayor
He was a descendant of Joseph Aubuchon who was in Florissant as early as 1799. In 1857 when the Missouri State Legislature changed Florissant’s form of government from trusteeship to mayor-council he became the first mayor under the Special . . . — Map (db m145368) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — James E. Fischer29 March 1924 - 1 August 2012
Co-Owned Fischer's Department Store with his brother Al, the oldest business in Florissant still in operation. Served as a Flight Engineer on a B17 Crew during World War II. Charter Member and past President of Florissant Rotary Club and Rotary . . . — Map (db m145345) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — James J. EaganBorn March 4, 1926 - Died in office November 2, 2000
He was the first Mayor elected under the 1963 Charter. During his administration a new Community Center and Civic Center were built. He initiated the LSV program and free bus service for older residents. Proud of his Irish ancestry, he was . . . — Map (db m145414) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — John H. "Johnny" Londoff, Sr."Family Businessman, Veteran, Philanthropist & Celebrity" — 24 August 1924 - 11 May 2010 —
In 1940, John Londoff, Sr. founded a Motor Co. with his dad Harry. Then joined the Marines in WWII. Famous jingle, Florissant building and lot and scholarships circa 1960. Variety Club Telethon Man of the Year, raised millions for children helped by . . . — Map (db m145308) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — John MullanphyBorn 1758 In Enniskillen, Ireland — Died In St. Louis September 29, 1833 —
It has been said “One man's name towers above all others as a giant among the great men of North County's past.” When Missouri became a State, he offered to build the State House at his own expense if Florissant were made the capital. . . . — Map (db m145369) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Joseph Peters1832-1913
A founder of the first bank in Florissant and of the Florissant Canning Factory, he owned the Joseph Peters Furniture Company in St. Louis. He has been described as "one of the industrial builders of St. Louis." His home stood on the grounds of the . . . — Map (db m145412) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Jules ONeil
He served as Mayor from 1955 to 1959. He was a staunch supporter of the 1821 St. Ferdinand Church recognizing its historical significance. Through his efforts and with community support, the building was saved. The preservation movement in . . . — Map (db m145306) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Kenneth J. "Ken" Otto"Handyman Hardware Humanitarian" — 16 November 1927 - 6 January 2006 —
Ken had a lifetime of community service in two cities & St. Louis County. He served Pine Lawn as Mayor, Alderman & businessman. In Florissant he owned two popular hi touch Handyman Hardware stores with wife Kathleen & sons Dave & Glenn, was . . . — Map (db m145344) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Paul F. Detrick, Sr.Christian Hospital Founding Father — 6 September 1923 - 31 August 1999 —
Paul Detrick named President of Christian Hospital 1960. Paul & Mary raised three children in North County, their home for life. His vision & leadership instrumental developing Florissant healthcare services opening Christian Hospital Northwest 1968 . . . — Map (db m145342) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Philip A. "Phil" Foeller"Business Owner & Community Volunteer" — 5 December 1929 - 25 November 2013 —
One of the original German families of Sacred Heart Church. A lifelong community oriented resident & businessman of Florissant. He & his wife Rose Marie raised five children in Old Town & founded Florissant Auto Radiator still at 865 N. Lafayette. . . . — Map (db m145343) HM

279 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 79
Paid Advertisement