Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Search Results

 
Johann Nestroy Marker - wide view image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 14, 2017
Johann Nestroy Marker - wide view
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Johann Nestroy
In diesem Hause wurde Johann Nestroy am 7. Dezember 1801 Geboren

-

(English translation:) On December 7, 1801, Johann Nestroy was born in this house. — Map (db m145374) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Memorial Plaque of the Archdiocese Vienna at Judenplatz
„Kiddusch HaSchem“ heißt „Heiligung Gottes“

Mit diesem Bewußtsein wählten Juden Wiens in der Synagoge hier am Judenplatz — dem Zentrum einer bedeutenden jüdischen Gemeinde — zur Zeit der Verfolgung . . . — Map (db m145366) HM

New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Electrifying the Uptown / L'électrification du centre-ville
English: Saint John Energy was established by the Saint John Common Council in 1922 to manage and operate the transmission and distribution of electrical power and energy in the City of Saint John. The Union Street substation . . . — Map (db m145395) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Saint John – The Working Port / Saint John, port en activité
English: For more than two hundred years the City of Saint John and its sheltered, ice-free port, have been critical to the economic success of New Brunswick. Historically providing a port of entry for people and products, the . . . — Map (db m145394) HM
Guatemala, Alta Verapaz (Municipality de Cóban), Cobán — Oscar Majus K.
Oscar Majus K. Nacio en Hamburgo, Alemania el 13-9-1872 y murió en el mar, hacia Hamburgo, el 27-7-1936. Hombre preclaro que en 1917 trajo a Coban la prodigiosa semilla cardamomo. Un recuerdo a su memoria Municipalidad Coban A.V. 30 . . . — Map (db m145407) HM
Guatemala, Alta Verapaz (Municipality of Cobán), Cobán — Manuel Tot
Coban a su hijo Manuel Tot Procer y Martir de la Independencia de Centroamerica 15 de septiembre de 1973 Roldolfo Galeotti Torres, Escultor Centenario Alta Verapaz 4 de mayo de 1877 – 4 de mayo de 1977 Abrir año 2077 . . . — Map (db m145408) HM WM
Guatemala, Alta Verapaz (Municipality of Tactic), Tactic — Reconstruction of the Tactic Parish Church
Este templo arruinado por el terremoto de 4-2-1976 fue reconstruido por el Comité Pro-Reconstruccion de la iglesia. Presidente: Constantino Pelaez S. Vicepresidente: Alfonso Milian M. Secretario: Luis Cantoral P. Tesorero: . . . — Map (db m145409) HM
Guatemala, Baja Verapaz (Municipality of Purulhá), Purulhá — Sebastián Castro García
Sebastián Castro García Nació el 26 de febrero de 1948, en la finca El Zapote, Aldea Panimá, Purulhá B.V. propiedad de su abuelo Ramón Castro. Siendo sus padres: Pedro Castro Cruz y Felipa García durante su adolescencia además de . . . — Map (db m145411) HM
Guatemala, Baja Verapaz (Municipality of Salamá), Salamá — Miguel Angel Asturias
Prensa Libre, la Universidad San Carlos de Guatemala, Ministerio de Cultura y Deportes, Municipalidad de Salamá, en la celebración del Centenario del Nacimiento del Premio Nobel de Literatura Miguel Angel Asturias, nombre que llevará . . . — Map (db m145452) HM
Guatemala, Baja Verapaz (Municipality of Salamá), Salamá — Salamá, Baja Verapaz
¡Bienvenidos a Salamá, Baja Verapaz! Nuestro estandarte · Nuestros colores El nombre original de esta región fue Tucurutan a veces escrito como Tezulutlan o Tezulutlan, según afirma el diccionario Geográfico Nacional, Tierra de . . . — Map (db m145451) HM
Mexico, Aguascalientes (Municipality of Aguascalientes) — Benito Juárez
Al Benemerito de las Americas Lic. Benito Juarez el Estado de Aguascalientes Nacio el 21 de Marzo de 1806 Falleció el 18 de Julio de 1872 Al Sabio Reformador y Restaurador de la Republica El Patriotismo no mide los sacrificios, . . . — Map (db m145529) HM WM
Mexico, Aguascalientes (Municipality of Aguascalientes) — Catarino Arriola Rochín
El dia 23 de Abril de 1915 fue fusilado Catarino Arriola Rochin Superintendente de Trenes de la Division Centro, en la barda poniente de los talleres del ferrocarril de esta ciudad, por ordenes del General Franciso Villa, disgustado . . . — Map (db m145525) HM
Mexico, Aguascalientes (Municipality of Aguascalientes) — The Aguascalientes Railroad Depot Neighborhood
Barrio de la Estacion En este hermoso Barrio se han conjuntado tradición y modernidad. El más remoto recuerdo nos evoca el manantial de aguas termales le daría su nombre a la ciudad, y sus acequias de aguas cristalinas que de muy . . . — Map (db m145527) HM
Mexico, Aguascalientes (Municipality of Aguascalientes) — Ventura Salazar Ramírez
Ventura Salazar Ramírez Héroe de Guadalupe, Zac Perdió su vida el 17 de Marzo de 1946, intentando parar el solo el tren de carga que conducia como maquinista y que chocaría con el tren de pasajeros detenido frente a la estación de . . . — Map (db m145524) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Independence / Oliverio Martínez
La Independencia 1933-1938 Autor: Oliverio Martínez El tema de este grupo escultórico está dedicado a la Independencia. La Patria está representada por un gran personaje femenino, flanqueado por otro masculino situado a la izquierda . . . — Map (db m145458) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Agrarian Laws / Oliverio Martínez
Leyes Agrarias 1933-1938 Autor: Oliverio Martínez El tema de este grupo escultórico está dedicado a las Leyes Agrarias. La imagen vertical es la de un campesino que porta en la mano derecha la hoz y en la izquierda un titulo de . . . — Map (db m145384) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Labour Laws / Oliverio Martínez
Leyes Obreras 1933-1938 Autor: Oliverio Martínez El tema de este grupo escultórico está dedicado a las Leyes Obreras. La imagen congrega a tres personajes masculinos. La figura vertical del centro muestra el carácteristica empalme de . . . — Map (db m145509) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Reform Laws / Oliverio Martínez
Leyes de la Reforma 1933-1938 Autor: Oliverio Martínez El tema de este grupo escultórico está dedicado a las Leyes de Reforma. La Patria está representada por un gran personaje femenino que porta en las manos la espada de justicia. . . . — Map (db m145497) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Holly Springs — Holly Springs School
Four school sites have been located in this community known as Morton’s Center, Hew Hope, and Poplar Springs now Holly Springs. The first at Morton’s Center was taught in 1882 by George W. Burttram. The first school at New Hope was taught by . . . — Map (db m145410) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Estillfork — Walls of Jericho
Nature preserve, recreation area, and wildlife management area. This tract was protected and made available for public recreation through the efforts of the Alabama forever wild land trust. The Alabama state lands division of the department of . . . — Map (db m145464)
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 5 — American Bag Co.Oakland Waterfront Warehouse District
American Bag and Union Hide Company pioneered the vacuum cleaning and machine mend- ing of used burlap bags which it resold as "Guaranteed Amerbags” with an unconditional guarantee, an unusual practice at the time. The company also made new . . . — Map (db m145515) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 22 — Autocar SalesOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
This one story brick warehouse served as the showroom and service garage for The Autocar Sales & Service Company, an Ardmore, Pennsylvania car and truck manufacturer that pioneered the mass production of forward control trucks (cab-over design). . . . — Map (db m145495) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 10 — C.L. Greeno Co.Oakland Waterfront Warehouse District
The Cincinnati-based C. L. Greeno Company built the C. L. Greeno Pacific Coast Headquarters warehouse to receive upholstery and bedding supplies via rail from its Ohio factory for distribution throughout the area west of Denver. Favorable rail . . . — Map (db m145493) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 3 — Davis-Parker Whse.Oakland Waterfront Warehouse District
A tiny wholesale grocery firm was the first occupant of this warehouse built on speculation for developers Hyman Davis and M. Parker. Founded in San Francisco in 1896 by Samuel Sussman, and Gustav and Samuel I. Wormser, Sussman Wormser & Company . . . — Map (db m145505) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Former Safeway Headquarters
This building served as the corporate headquarters of Safeway Stores, Inc. from 1929 until 1997. The building, affectionately known as "4th & J" by it's occupants, was built in 1929 for Safeway by the Clinton Construction Company and was designed . . . — Map (db m145376) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 18 — Oakland PlumbingOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
The Oakland Plumbing Supply Company warehouse and showroom was one of the few buildings constructed in the District during the 1920s that did not serve a wholesale grocery purpose. The company was nevertheless a significant Port of Oakland customer . . . — Map (db m145506) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 26 — Oakland PortalOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
The Oakland Portal's elaborate Beaux Arts façade conceals eight massive fans that draw in fresh air and expel foul air to prevent carbon monoxide buildup in the George A. Posey Tube, an underwater automobile tunnel that runs under Harrison Street . . . — Map (db m145508) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 24 — Poultry ProducersOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
In 1985, this warehouse was renamed "The Egghouse” after the building's first use as an egg distribution center for Poultry Producers of Central California. Poultry Producers originated the Nulaid® brand name, a brand employed today to . . . — Map (db m145511) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 23 — United GrocersOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
"United We Buy ... Individually We Sell” was the marketing tag line of United Grocers, Ltd., a wholesale grocer that supplied 1,460 retail outlets in northern California and Nevada and posted $1 billion in annual sales by the time it was . . . — Map (db m145499) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 1 — W.P. Fuller & Co.Oakland Waterfront Warehouse District
The West Coast's largest and oldest paint company built the District's first warehouse. W. P. Fuller Paint Company used the warehouse to distribute paint and window glass throughout the western United States. Although the company has been sold many . . . — Map (db m145502) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Western Pacific RROakland Waterfront Warehouse District
After winning a legal challenge to Southern Pacific Railroad's 50-year stranglehold on the Oakland waterfront, Western Pacific Railroad Company inaugurated freight service in December 1909 and opened the Western Pacific Freight Office at Third and . . . — Map (db m145512) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 9 — Western StatesOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
Western States Grocery Company roasted over 250,000 pounds of coffee a year in the basement of this warehouse. In addition to coffee, Western States distributed a full line of grocery products. Western States competed on price (“one case or a . . . — Map (db m145498) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — O. Oliver GoodallFirst Lieutenant — Army Air Corps
Lt. O. Oliver Goodall lived at 679 W. Harriet Street from 1961 until his death in 2010 and made a powerful impact on his adopted communities of Altadena and Pasadena, in addition to contributing to elevating the dignity and civil rights of . . . — Map (db m145504) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Glassell Park — Verdugo Village
One of many distinct districts of Glassell Park, Verdugo Village is a two block commercial corridor in the historic Sagamore Park tract (est. 1920s) situated along the early transportation route that linked the Rancho San Raphael (1784) and the . . . — Map (db m145372) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — General HospitalEntrance Facade — 1933 —
Placed high above the towering main entrance, nine enrobed figures stand vigil and greet visitors to LAC+USC General Hospital and half-way up the building, three classically robed figures stand atop columns in window niches. Completed . . . — Map (db m145460) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Rancho Rosa CastillaSite of California State University Los Angeles
On this site in 1776 Franciscan missionaries built one of 36 original California adobes. Historical markerMap (db m145404) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Monrovia — 14 — Upton Sinclair House
Upton Sinclair House has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m145405) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 172 — Pioneer Oil Refinery← 3 Miles
In 1875 the Star Oil Company, one of the predecessors of the Standard Oil Company of California, drilled its first Pico Canyon well, which yielded about one hundred barrels per day. The discovery resulted in the erection of the first commercial oil . . . — Map (db m145418) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — 168 — Oak of the Golden Dream← 6 Miles
In Placeritas Canyon, March 1842, Francisco Lopez y Arballo, while gathering wild onions from around an old oak, discovered gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. It is estimated that $80,000 in gold was discovered as a result of this . . . — Map (db m145417) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 1006 — Beale's Cut Stagecoach Pass
[This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No. 1006 on May 11, 1992. There are three rock and concrete bases which at one time displayed four different plaques. The plaques are now missing. The following plaque was . . . — Map (db m145459) HM
Colorado (Alamosa County), Mosca — Pike and Southwest CommerceAn Inauspicious Beginning
29th January. Thursday. Finding the distance too great to attempt crossing immediately to the river, in a direct line, we marched obliquely to a copse of woods, which made down a considerable distance from the mountains. Distance 17 miles. Saw . . . — Map (db m145393) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — Village of Christiana
Colonial River Port and Crossroads A National Historic District 1684 [reverse side] Named for Queen Christina of Sweden Home of Col. John Read Landing of Marquis de Lafayette and 1500 Troops. March 1781 Major colonial . . . — Map (db m145361)
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Purple Heart Trail in Delaware
Dedicated by Governor Jack A. Markell and the Military Order of the Purple Heart Department of Delaware July 27, 2011 The National Purple Heart Trail memorializes those heroic soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who have had the . . . — Map (db m145360) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-169 — Alexis I. duPont Middle School
The oldest portion of this structure was erected in 1893 to replace two smaller schools that were no longer adequate to serve the needs of local students. This building was constructed largely through the efforts of the duPont family, long-time . . . — Map (db m145425) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Brandywine Springs
A fashionable spa and hotel was located on this site from 1827-1853. Distinguished personalities, such as Henry Clay, came for relaxation and enjoyment. T.U. Walter, the architect of the U.S. Capitol, designed and remodeled the hotel buildings. . . . — Map (db m145424) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-79 — Camp DuPont
First established May, 1861. The Fourth Regiment Delaware Volunteer Infantry camped here June to October 1862, whence they moved to a camp of the same name near Kennett Pike. The remustered First Delaware Regiment camped here in early February 1864, . . . — Map (db m145423) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-223 — Fells Mill Historic District
Constructed in 1749, the area is home to one of the earliest mill sites on the Red Clay Creek. A three-story flour mill once served as the center of activity on the site, and was the location of Oliver Evans’ first automated flour mill operation. In . . . — Map (db m145422) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-100 — Gibraltar — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places ~ 1998 —
In 1844, John Rodney Brinkle, grandnephew of Delaware patriot Caesar Rodney, built the Italianate core of this Brandywine granite home, named for the high, prominent rocky outcropping upon which it sits. In 1909, Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) and . . . — Map (db m145461) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-87 — Mount Olive Cemetery
In 1862 the members of Mother AUMP Church, also known as the Union Church of African Members, purchased property at the corner of Lancaster Ave. and Union St. in Wilmington for the purpose of establishing a cemetery. In 1914 the Church sold the . . . — Map (db m145421) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — F-1074 — North Woodlawn Cemetery
During racial segregation, Fort Lauderdale's African American community was restricted to the northwest quadrant of the city. Recognizing a need in this area, the Christian Pallbearer's Association founded North Woodlawn Cemetery in 1926, most . . . — Map (db m145503) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — ChoicesA New Era of Choices
After the Civil War, slavery ended, but former slaves continued to live on the island. In this new era, former slaves and new landowners had to make difficult choices. In 1869 the Rollins family settled at the former plantation and called it . . . — Map (db m145390) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Fort George IslandThe Plantation Era in Florida
The plantation era began in Florida in 1763 after Britain took control from Spain. Soon after, the first planter was given land here and brought his slaves and household. Britain established a plantation economy and encouraged its growth by . . . — Map (db m145387) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Plantation HouseHistory of a House
The House at the North end will be in the course of a month a very comfortable habitation, & in any other country a handsome situation. John McQueen, Jr., 1798 Planter John McQueen built the original portion of the house with the use of . . . — Map (db m145389) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave Trade / La Traite d'EsclavesThe Port of Nantes / Le Port de Nantes
English: Once the Portuguese made successful transatlantic trading voyages, other European nations quickly followed. In the eighteenth century, the port of Nantes became the busiest French port involved in the European slave trade . . . — Map (db m145391) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave Trade / La Traite d'EsclavesA Valuable Commodity / Une marchandise de grande valeur
English: Slavery has been a component of human history through time. Whether captured, purchased, or taken as spoils of war, enslaved people had wide-ranging experiences, but they all shared one thing in common: loss of freedom. . . . — Map (db m145392) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — WaterwaysA Link to the World
Where there is now a tranquil river scene, a dock hustled and bustled with activity during the plantation era. Cotton bales were sent to market, and slaves and finished goods were brought here by boat. Most plantations were located along . . . — Map (db m145388) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — Coastal Weather
Has a hurricane ever hit Jacksonville Beach? Records of Northeast Florida storms began in 1885. Since that time, Jacksonville Beach has had mild hurricane activity compared to many other coastal areas. Three relatively recent storms have come . . . — Map (db m145378) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — General Bernardo De Galvez and the "Siege of Pensacola"The Longest Battle of the American Revolution
As the Spanish Governor of Louisiana Territories, Bernardo De Galvez was an important friend of American Colonists. When Spain became an ally of the American Revolutionaries in 1779, Bernardo de Galvez led a multinational force of troops from New . . . — Map (db m145510) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — 3 — The StudioWashington Oaks Historic District
In the 1950s, the Youngs constructed a studio for Mrs. Young’s daughter, Virginia Powis Brown, who was a talented artist. Large skylights on the north side of the house fill the studio with natural light. The caretaker’s daughter, Francis Faye . . . — Map (db m145357) HM
Florida (Lake County), Mt Dora — Lakeside Inn
Lakeside Inn Est. 1883 was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior on March 19, 1987 — Map (db m145381) HM
Florida (Lake County), Mt Dora — Old Mount Dora Post Office
The area received its first post office in 1880. Ross C. Tremarin was appointed as the first postmaster and named the lakeside outpost “Royellou” after his three children, Roy, Ella and Louis. Two years later, the town’s official name . . . — Map (db m145363) HM
Florida (Lake County), Mt Dora — The Mount Dora Lawn Bowling Club
The Mount Dora Lawn Bowling Club was envisioned in 1925 by Willard Bryant and Fred Thompson, two winter visitors from Hartford, Connecticut. They approached Charles Edgerton, owner of the historic Lakeside Inn and member of the City’s Park . . . — Map (db m145383) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coconut Grove — F-996 — Dr. Eleanor Galt Simmons-Office and Stable
This low oolitic limestone building was the office and stable of Dr. Eleanor Galt Simmons (1854 – 1909), Dade County’s first female physician. Simmons, a Bryn Mawr College alumna, graduated from the Women’s Medical College of Philadelphia in . . . — Map (db m145501) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Venice — Edgewood
(Side 1) In 1925, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers (BLE), a labor union based in Cleveland, Ohio, purchased land to create the city of Venice. The BLE hired city planner John Nolen to complete the city design which he had already . . . — Map (db m145507) HM
Kentucky (Lawrence County), Louisa — Vancouver’s Fort
On the Point, 700 feet East of this spot in the Spring of 1789 was established the First Settlement in this section known as Vancouver’s Fort. Charles Vancouver was granted 15,000 acres on Dec 14, 2788 by Gov. Beverly Randolph of Virginia. He . . . — Map (db m145528) HM
Kentucky (Lawrence County), Webbville — 2056 — Eastern Kentucky Railway
This site became the railhead of E. K. Railway when 1.77 miles of track was laid from Willard, 1889, completing 36 miles of track from Riverton. The extension from Willard to Webbville was made primarily to provide an outlet for forest . . . — Map (db m145487) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Belmont Plantation
Land was an original Spanish Grant to Francois Pellerin. Property then owned successively by the Sterling, Peebles and finally the Wyche families. This plantation has produced sugar since the late 19th century and is site of unusual water powered . . . — Map (db m145406) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Eddie L. Dorsey, MD; Ima Pierson, DDS; Howard C. Scoggins, MD; Luins Williams, MDMay 17-18, 1944
Along with leaders of the newly formed NAACP chapter, Drs. Dorsey, Pierson, Scoggins, and Williams were violently expelled from Iberia Parish on May 17-18, 1944, because they supported Black workers, who successfully petitioned the federal . . . — Map (db m145416) HM
Louisiana (Washington Parish), Bogalusa — The Greater Ebenezer Baptist ChurchMatthew 5:16
The Greater Ebenezer Baptist Church has been utilized in support of community and civil rights activities prior and since the historic 1960s Civil Rights Movement. The only church in the Bogalusa community that permitted assembly of grassroots . . . — Map (db m144422) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0005 — 1600 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society 1770Map (db m145475) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0027 — 1602 Lancaster Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1795Map (db m145474) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 10 — 1602 Shakespeare Street
. . . — Map (db m145476) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1609 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society — Map (db m145478) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1621 Lancaster Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society — Map (db m145472) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1625 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register of Historic Districts Public and private documents show this lot owned by Wm Fell & sold to Thomas Usher in 1789. The present front section of four rooms was built in 1792. The . . . — Map (db m145480) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1627 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1790Map (db m145481) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1628 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society — Map (db m145484) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0040 — 1630 Shakespeare Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society 1890Map (db m145486) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0039 — 1632 Shakespeare Street
. . . — Map (db m145485) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0020 — 1633 Lancaster Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1795Map (db m145471) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0022 — 1723 Lancaster Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1869 Map (db m145469) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 0036 — 719 South Ann Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society c. 1803 Map (db m145468) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 823 South Bond Street
This property is listed on the National Register [of Historic Places] as part of Fell's Point National Historic District and is registered with the Preservation Society — Map (db m145488) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Vast Hospital Once Stood Here
"Our work was here and no less heroic than the ones who went over . . ." Emily Raine Williams, Army Nurse Corps. "General Hospital No. 2 has been built entirely around the original fort . . ." Captain . . . — Map (db m145541) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Heritage of Courage...The Society of the War of 1812
The successful defense of Baltimore from British attack has been remembered and commemorated every year since 1814. The Society of the War of 1812 maintains the legacy of remembrance. This society traces its origin to Fort McHenry. On . . . — Map (db m145540) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Historic Ships in Baltimore"Walk the Decks of History!" — Baltimore Maritime Museum —
US Coast Guard Cutter, Taney, the only warship still afloat that saw action during the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, was commissioned in 1936. This 326-foot High Endurance Cutter is one of seven Secretary class ships built. . . . — Map (db m145465) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Honor Roll
"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain." 1941 World War II 1945 Michael P. Angelonga U.S.A. Joseph Balek U.S.A. Jess Barton U.S.A. Andrew Baumer U.S.A. Kilian J. Buettner U.S.A. Carroll L. Caples . . . — Map (db m145466) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Honor Roll
Erected in honor of the men and women of Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish who served their country in World War II 1941 - 1945 — Map (db m145534) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Everlasting Recognition of Ann Shirley Doda and Victor P. Doda, Sr.
Victor was the first president of the Locust Point Civic Association. Shirley initiated the Annual Locust Point Community Festival. Together they worked for 5 years to have the final section of I-95 changed, from the proposed bridge . . . — Map (db m145538) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Memory of Edward Fell / William Fell / Colonel Edward Fell / William Fell
In memory of Edward Fell Maryland 1723 from Lancaster, England. Acquired land, Jonestown. Later part of Baltimore Town. Importer, died 1743. William Fell Brother of Edward. Maryland 1730. Married Sarah Bond 1732. Acquired thousand . . . — Map (db m145477) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ravelin Magazine
Near the end of the Civil War, several large cannon were mounted on the ravelin above, and in the adjacent water battery. The commanding officer ordered that 1,000 rounds of ammunition be kept nearby for each gun. In 1866, this magazine and two . . . — Map (db m145542) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Candler BuildingFirst Operational Headquarters of the Social Security System
From 1936 - 1960, the Candler Building served as the operational headquarters of the U.S. Social Security system. It was here that the first Social Security numbers were issued, the records were kept and the benefits computed for millions of . . . — Map (db m145463) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — This is Banner FieldHome of pride, inspiration & freedom
You are standing less than a mile away from Ft. McHenry, where the citizens of Baltimore valiantly defended our freedom back in 1814, inspiring Francis Scott Key to write "The Star-Spangled Banner." To this day, that anthem is played before every . . . — Map (db m145532) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Welcome! You Are Now "On Post"
Fort McHenry, like military bases today, comprised many buildings. If you were here in 1814, you would be standing on the edge of the outer drill field. Behind it stood two buildings: a gun shed, where small field cannons were stored, and a stable . . . — Map (db m145539) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Calvert — Calvert Village
40-acre grant from William Penn in 1701 on which present East Nottingham Friends Meeting House built, 1724, with stone addition completed in 1752. Used as American army hospital in 1778. Cross Keys Tavern, built in 1744, was mid-way on Old . . . — Map (db m145437) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Conowingo — The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal
The corporate title of the company authorized in 1783 to build one of the first inland waterways in America. The bed of this canal and some of its stone locks are still visible near this road. — Map (db m145441) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — The Anchorage
Home of the Lusbys in the early 1700’s. Ruth Lusby and Commodore Jacob Jones married in 1821, made the Anchorage their home and enlarged it in 1835. Jones served on the “Philadelphia” when it ran aground at Tripoli and commanded the . . . — Map (db m145440) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — “Partridge Hill”Built c. 1760
Home of Henry Hollingsworth, merchant, legislator and colonel of Elk Battalion of Militia in Revolutionary Way as Commissary for the Eastern Shore. He obtained supplies for the Americans and French allies embarking near here in 1781 on voyage down . . . — Map (db m145431) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Creswell Hall
The home of John A. J. Creswell who nominated James Buchanan for President in 1856 and turned Republican in 1861. He was successively Assistant-Adjutant General of Maryland, member of the House of Representatives, Senator and Postmaster by . . . — Map (db m145436) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — ElktonOriginally called “Head of Elk”
Lafayette embarked his troops March 8, 1781 to capture Benedict Arnold. Returned April 9, began overland march to Virginia April 12, 1781. Washington and Rochambeau with their combined forces stopped Sept. 6-7, 1781 on way to . . . — Map (db m145434) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Elkton, Wedding Capital of the East
In the early 20th century, Maryland had no waiting period for issuing marriage licenses, and couples from throughout the Northeast flocked to Elkton—the first county seat south of the State line—where they could be married without delay. . . . — Map (db m145433) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Henry Deibert and E. Deibert Bros. Barge BuildingElk Landing 1889 to 1911
Workers outfitting anchor chain on the barge “Arundel”. She was 215 ft. long, 30 ft. wide and 25 ft. deep. Notice the large expanse of marshland across the Elk Creek in the area of Fort Defiance.

An estimated 200 “Schooner . . . — Map (db m145462) HM

Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Holly Hall
Built c. 1810–1820 by James Sewall. He was Clerk of Cecil County Court 1805–1841; Brigade Major of Maryland Militia and a Commander at nearby Fort Defiance in War of 1812; one of founders of Trinity Episcopal Church, Elkton in 1832. — Map (db m145435) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Mitchell House
Built in 1769 as the home of Dr. Abraham Mitchell, noted physician. During the Revolutionary War he converted the house into a hospital for the use of wounded soldiers of the Continental Army. General Lafayette was a friend of the Mitchell family . . . — Map (db m145432) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Old Post RoadEstablished 1666
Where it crosses the Mason and Dixon Line, dividing the States of Maryland and Delaware. Run 1763–1767 — Map (db m145430) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Strong DefenseStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail-War of 1812 — Fort Hollingsworth-Elk Landing —
Three defensive earthworks safeguarded Elkton---Fort Hollingsworth, here, plus Defiance and Frederick downriver. A 60-foot chain across the channel secured the Elk River. On April 29, 1813, defenders at Fort Defiance fired on approaching . . . — Map (db m145473) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Wilna
Boyhood home of William Whann Mackall. Appointed to the U. S. Military Academy in 1834. Resigned from the U. S. Army, joined the Confederacy and served on the staffs of Generals Albert Sydney Johnston, Braxton Bragg and Joseph E. Johnston. General . . . — Map (db m145439) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — “O! say can you see…”Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail traces the War of 1812 in the Chesapeake. Along the trail you'll encounter tangible evidence of the war and stories that bring the people and events to life. Discover the far-reaching impacts of the . . . — Map (db m145483) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Maryland Women in Military Service MonumentDedicated 2014
Obverse Honoring women from the State of Maryland, past and present, who have served our nation honorably and proudly, in war and peace. Reverse Notable Accomplishments of Women in Military Service Although women have . . . — Map (db m145479) HM WM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Overlook of General Howe’s Landing
On August 25, 1777, after a month’s voyage from New York, 15,000 British troops led by Sir William Howe disembarked on the shores of the Elk River approximately two miles east of this site. The fleet of 300 vessels which had transported them was . . . — Map (db m145426) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — St. Mary Anne’s ChurchNorth Elk Parish – 1706
The building, erected 1742, is one of the oldest in Cecil County. The cornerstone bears the initials of the Rector and Vestrymen at that time. Communion vessels, a bible and a book of common prayer presented 1718 by Queen Anne of England still are . . . — Map (db m145427) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — Count de Rochambeau’s Troops
Crossed the Susquehanna River in five divisions and made their 23rd camp here at the end of August 1782 on the return from Yorktown victory to the north. — Map (db m145428) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — Old Post Road - Lower Susquehanna Ferry - Rodgers' Tavern
Old Post Road Established 1666 Lower Susquehanna Ferry established 1695 Rodgers’ Tavern where George Washington frequently stopped between 1781–1798 — Map (db m145429) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — John A. J. Creswell
Born at this house at Creswell’s Ferry, now Port Deposit, in 1828, John Creswell graduated from Dickinson College and became a lawyer. He was elected to the General Assembly in 1861, became Adjutant General in 1862, was elected to Congress that same . . . — Map (db m145442) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Smith’s Falls
In 1608 Captain John Smith ascended the Susquehannah River until stopped by the rocks. On his map he calls this point “Smyths Fales” marking it by a X which he explains as meaning “hath bin discovered what beyond is by . . . — Map (db m145453) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — USNTC Bainbridge
Named for Commodore William Bainbridge, who served in the Barbary Wars and the War of 1812. The U.S. Naval Training Center Bainbridge operated for 34 years. Beginning in 1942 as a recruit training command for World War II, and closing in 1976. The . . . — Map (db m145443) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — This is a Section of “The General’s Highway”
Route of General Washington’s triumphant journey, December 3-23, 1783, New York to Annapolis, to resign as Commander-In-Chief of the first American Army Originally erected 1932 by Dorsey Chapter N.S.D.A.R. to commemorate . . . — Map (db m145385) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — History or Memory?Antietam Battlefield's Monuments and their Meanings
Veterans, state organizations, and individuals have placed 97 monuments at Antietam. Most of them are Union monuments constructed during the first twenty years after Congress established the battlefield in 1890. Each monument represents the . . . — Map (db m145454) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — The Paint Creek Cider Mill
The History of Goodison - It All Started with the Mill The Paint Creek Cider Mill's history shares a story of settlement, spanning the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries. Always the economic and social hub of Goodison, the buildings on this . . . — Map (db m145403) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Charles Castello22 May 1839 - 11 December 1893
Elected twenty-seven times to the office of Mayor he served from 1865 to 1890 and then again from 1892 to 1893, dying in office. He helped to bring the West End Narrow Gauge Railroad to Florissant and under his leadership Florissant offered land and . . . — Map (db m145367) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — David L. Reynolds7 November 1936 - 9 January 2003
A United States Navy veteran, Dave served on the Florissant City Council from 1976 - 1994 and was Council President in 1979. He served as President of the St. Louis County Municipal League in 1988 and was elected to four terms as a Missouri State . . . — Map (db m145370) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Donald L. Bond"Mr. North County" — 17 June 1931 - 21 April 1990 —
Florissant Councilman 1959 - 1977 St. Louis County Councilman 1977 - 1990 Don earned a reputation for fighting for his constituents, and for a high quality of life in Florissant and North County. Always easily accessible, he hosted annual . . . — Map (db m145371) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Gregorie AubuchonFlorissant's First Mayor
He was a descendant of Joseph Aubuchon who was in Florissant as early as 1799. In 1857 when the Missouri State Legislature changed Florissant’s form of government from trusteeship to mayor-council he became the first mayor under the Special . . . — Map (db m145368) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — James J. EaganBorn March 4, 1926 - Died in office November 2, 2000
He was the first Mayor elected under the 1963 Charter. During his administration a new Community Center and Civic Center were built. He initiated the LSV program and free bus service for older residents. Proud of his Irish ancestry, he was . . . — Map (db m145414) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — John MullanphyBorn 1758 In Enniskillen, Ireland — Died In St. Louis September 29, 1833 —
It has been said “One man's name towers above all others as a giant among the great men of North County's past.” When Missouri became a State, he offered to build the State House at his own expense if Florissant were made the capital. . . . — Map (db m145369) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Joseph Peters1832-1913
A founder of the first bank in Florissant and of the Florissant Canning Factory, he owned the Joseph Peters Furniture Company in St. Louis. He has been described as "one of the industrial builders of St. Louis." His home stood on the grounds of the . . . — Map (db m145412) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Robert G. Lowery, Sr.Police Chief 1979-2001, Mayor 2001-2011 — 29 December 1938 - 30 July 2018 —
Bob Lowery began his 50 year career of service to Florissant residents as a Patrolman in 1961 advancing to Chief in 1979 & excelling in that position until elected Mayor in 2001. He loved Carole & his family. He loved people & always placed a . . . — Map (db m145413) HM
New York, New York — Fireman’s Garden.169 acre
The Firemen’s Garden on East Eighth Street between Avenues C and D honors the memory of all New York City firefighters who were killed in the line of duty. The site pays homage in particular to the memory of Martin R. Celic (1952-1977), a young . . . — Map (db m145373) HM
New York, New York — Jubilee Year
1843 – 1968 Jubilee Year commemorating 125th Anniversary of Most Holy Redeemer Church Sept. 28, 1968 Most. Rev. Terrence J. Cooke Archbishop of New York — Map (db m145415) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Pilgrimage Shrine

Most Holy Redeemer Church designated Pilgrimage Shrine in honor of Our Mother of Perpetual Help Centennial Year – 1966

Francis Cardinal Spellman Archbishop of New York — Map (db m145401) HM

South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — Masonic Temple, Aberdeen
The Masonic Temple Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Built 1899 — Map (db m145323) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 182 — Woodruff - Fontaine House
Bulit in 1871 along "Millionaires Row", this French Victorian mansion was home to two prominent Memphis families. Amos Woodruff, a successful carriage maker, built the house for his family. Noland Fontaine, an established businessman, purchased the . . . — Map (db m145375) HM
Texas (Harris County), Webster — Gateway to William States Jacobs Ranch
This is the only surviving gatepost to the former 2,000 acre William States Jacobs Ranch. Dr. Jacobs (1871 1951) was a fourth generation Presbyterian preacher, philanthropist, civic leader and active supporter in establishing Houston as a deep . . . — Map (db m145377) HM
Texas (Young County), Bunger — 2228 — Gooseneck Cemetery
Named for a bend in the Brazos River, this cemetery first served pioneers of the Gooseneck community. Land for the burial ground was donated by Kentucky native George Washington Fore (1823-1903) and his son, John Silas Fore (1851-1931), who became . . . — Map (db m144946) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Owenton — OB 19 — Donald Robertson’s School
Donald Robertson (1717-1783), born and educated in Scotland, established a private boarding school on his farm two miles southwest of here by 1758. Among his students were James Madison, fourth president of the United States and "Father of the . . . — Map (db m145379) HM
Virginia (King William County), Manquin — OC 37 — Pamunkey Indians In The Civil War
Residents of the Pamunkey Reservation, 12 miles southeast of here, aided Union troops during the Civil War. About a dozen Pamunkey men enlisted as guides, scouts, gunboat pilots, and spies for Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's Army of the Potomac . . . — Map (db m145380) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), Trout — Sinking Creek Raid
On November 26, 1862, 20 members of Company G, 2nd WV Cavalry, led by Maj. William H. Powell and Lt. Jeremiah Davidson, surprised and routed 500 Confederate soldiers of the 14th VA Cavalry at the base of Cold Knob. Union forces captured more than . . . — Map (db m144217) HM WM

137 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement