Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Search Results

1841 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1641
 
Marker detail: Micmac Indians image, Touch for more information
Courtesy The Nova Scotia Museum
Marker detail: Micmac Indians
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Sheet Harbour — Early Settlement — Sheet Harbour —
Following the expulsion of the Acadians in 1755, the Government of Nova Scotia distributed grants of land, in an effort to populate the province with British subjects. Prior to white settlement, Sheet Harbour served as a summer hunting . . . — Map (db m146114) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Sheet Harbour — Hydroelectric Power — Sheet Harbour —
For almost 150 years, the East and West Rivers provided Sheet Harbour with waterpower for its sawmills. In the 1920s, the East River played an important role in delivering hydroelectric power to Sheet Harbour, as well as other communities in Nova . . . — Map (db m146158) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Sheet Harbour — Lumbering & Sawmills — Sheet Harbour —
Situated on the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia, Sheet Harbour lies at the junction of the East and West Rivers. This forested area, with its excellent river systems and natural port, proved ideal for the establishment of a prosperous lumber . . . — Map (db m146119) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Sheet Harbour — Salmon — Sheet Harbour —
For centuries, salmon fishing on Sheet Harbour’s East and West Rivers was both a livelihood and leisure activity. The Mi’kmaq were the first to utilize this rich resource, while Loyalist settlers and their descendents fished salmon for . . . — Map (db m146120) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Sheet Harbour — Sheet Harbour
First settled in the 1780's by British veterans and Loyalist refugees from the American Revolution, Sheet Harbour is an important centre on Nova Scotia's eastern shore. West and East Rivers meet near here, and where their waters tumble and froth . . . — Map (db m146113) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Sheet Harbour — Shipbuilding & Shipping — Sheet Harbour —
With few existing roads along the Eastern Shore in the eighteenth century, the only reliable route to Halifax was by sea. During this period, Sheet Harbour’s isolated inhabitants relied on boats and ships for fishing, trade, and travel along the . . . — Map (db m146116) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Sheet Harbour — The Community — Sheet Harbour —
Following the expulsion of the Acadians in 1755, the Government of Nova Scotia distributed grants of land in an effort to populate the province with British subjects. Located 75 miles (115 km) east of Halifax, on Highway 7, the . . . — Map (db m146118) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Sheet Harbour — The Pulp & Paper Industry — Sheet Harbour —
As Sheet Harbour's lumber industry prospered in the nineteenth century, there was a growing demand for ground wood pulp, which was used in the manufacture of paper products such as newsprint. Local lumber baron William Chisholm . . . — Map (db m146117) HM
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Amanda & Joseph P. Deacon Housebuilt 1870-72

Attorney & Police Magistrate — Map (db m147038) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Bartholomew and Ruth Ann Carley Housec. 1830

[Title is text] — Map (db m146910) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Brockville Infantry Company / The Brockville RiflesFor All Who Served

In honour of all our men and women who have answered the call to arms in defence of our homeland along with the Brockville Infantry Company (1862) and The Brockville Rifles (1866).

Unveiled by Mayor David Henderson, July . . . — Map (db m146965) HM WM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Brockville Recorder

Commemorating the continuous publication of the Brockville Recorder for one hundred years 1821 — 1921— Ontario's Oldest Newspaper Recording events of local, national and world-wide . . . — Map (db m146967) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Buell, Donaldson, and Ross Buildingsca. 1910 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

Brockville's new concrete granolithic sidewalks and electric arc street lamps are in place. — Map (db m146947) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Capt. Thomas Hayes Housec. 1851
Capt. Thomas Hayes House, c. 1851. — Map (db m146994) HM
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Centennial of Confederation1867 • 1967

Brockville Centennial Park Erected by the City of Brockville in permanent commemoration of the Centennial of Confederation in Canada in 1967. Construction was made possible through the co-operation of the Province of . . . — Map (db m147115) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Charles E. Jones Housec. 1858

Gentleman Son of the Hon. Charles Jones — Map (db m146907) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Chipman-Page Housebuilt ca. 1877

• Built by Abigail & Lewis Chipman about 1877

• Owned 1896-1933 by Olivia & J. Albert Page, a Lawyer and Police Magistrate — Map (db m147069) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Christina & Thomas Campbell Housebuilt ca. 1830

Clerk of the County Court for 40 years. Died 1857. Academy for Young Ladies, 1857. — Map (db m147072) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Comstock Funeral ProcessionMay 25 1892

Funeral procession for Edwin P. Comstock (1865-1892) — Map (db m146960) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Court House Avenueca. 1898 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

An unpaved Court House Avenue before 1917, when a boulevard was created and a fountain added. — Map (db m146943) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Daniel Derbyshire Housec. 1865

Businessman and Senator — Map (db m147061) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — David Simpson Housec. 1880

[Title is text] — Map (db m146908) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Dr. Thomas McQueen Housec. 1840

[Title is text] — Map (db m146990) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Elizabeth and James Hall Housec. 1820

James St. was named after him in 1832. — Map (db m147027) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — First Bank in Brockville

In September, 1843, the first bank in Brockville was opened on Court House Avenue by the Bank of Montreal This plaque commemorates that event and was installed by the bank to observe its 150th anniversary in the Centennial . . . — Map (db m146979) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — First Presbyterian Church1879

Architect: James P. Johnston, Ogdensburg, N.Y.

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m146863) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Fulford Blockca. 1905

The Fulford Block, built 1887-89

This photograph shows how the Fulford Block looked before a disastrous fire in July 1916 destroyed everything but the outside walls. — Map (db m146959) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Fun on the Riverc.1900

[Historical photos of river activities] — Map (db m146933) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — George Crain Housec. 1893

Contractor — Map (db m146993) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — George Malloch Housec. 1840

[Title is text] — Map (db m146861) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — H. H. Cossitt & Bro. Building

H. H. Cossitt & Bro. Confectioners c. 1895 - c. 1903

C. H. Buell & Son Bakers and Confectioners c. 1903 - 1918

John Tait Baker and Confectioner 1919 - 1930 — Map (db m146912) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Halladay Blockca. 1920 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

The large Halladay Block was mostly destroyed by the fire on November 27, 1949.

On the near corner was the gasoline station and tire vulcanizing shop of Leroy Dickey. — Map (db m147012) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Halladay Blockca. 1915 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

On the right is the corner grocery store of James L. Greenwood.

It was located in the former Halladay Block, mostly destroyed by the fire on November 27, 1949. — Map (db m147013) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Henry and Ellen Soper Housec. 1876

Painter — Map (db m146909) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Hubbell Buildingc. 1825

[Title is text] — Map (db m146866) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Indian Cliff

Residence From 1884 to 1905 of Major James M. Walsh Superintendent of The North-West Mounted Police

Major James Morrow Walsh was a Canadian hero and a figure of national prominence in the second half of the nineteenth . . . — Map (db m147075) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Is[a]ac Beecher House

Front c.1840 Rear c.1815

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m146973) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — James Hall & Co. Ontario Glove Works 1865 - 1917Brockville Historic Area: The Brock Trail — Région Historique : La Piste de Brockville —

Founded in 1865, the James Hall & Co. Glove Works operated on this site until about 1917. By 1898, it was the largest company making gloves and mitts in Canada. Owned and operated by John MacLaren and later his cousin, William C. . . . — Map (db m146944) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — John C. Potter Housec. 1834

[Title is text] — Map (db m146918) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — John Harris Buildingbuilt c. 1865

Built & Owned by Marialene & John Harris Merchant Tailor — Map (db m146862) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — John M. McMullen Housec. 1834

[Title is text] — Map (db m146919) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Major General Sir Isaac Brock — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

Pictured hereon is the 1812 monument in St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England with the following inscription:

Erected at the public expense To the memory of Major General Sir Isaac Brock, who gloriously fell . . . — Map (db m146942) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — May Day Paradeca. 1900 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

This appears to be a May Day Parade, as the young girls in white dresses who performed each year on the Court House Green pass by. — Map (db m146958) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — McCrady Tannery / Brockville Yacht Clubca. 1909 — Brockville Historic Area: The Brock Trail —

The mouth of Buell’s Creek was the location of an early sawmill built by Daniel Jones Sr. in the 1790s. This was followed by the gristmill, built by Robert Shepherd in the 1850s (still existing to the north).

From the position, looking . . . — Map (db m146935) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Morris House

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m146867) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Newton Cossitt House1881

Architect: James P. Johnston. Ogdensburg, N.Y.

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m147029) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Ornamental Arch1860 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

One of 5 ornamental arches built for the visit of Queen Victoria’s son Albert Edward, Prince of Wales on September 2, 1860. — Map (db m147016) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Publow Terrace1895

Architects: Liston & Liston, Brockville — Map (db m146868) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Queen's Hotel and Victoria Hallca. 1890 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

In the middle of this picture are the former Queen's Hotel (left) and Victoria Hall (right). The latter, built in 1862-64, is now Brockville's City Hall. — Map (db m146962) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Rev. William Smart Housec. 1820

[Title is text] — Map (db m146864) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Robert Shepherd Grist Millc. 1852

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m146914) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Ross-Dowsley Housebuilt c. 1828

Early Owners: Mrs. Jane Ross, Widow. her son, John Ross, Merchant. George Dowsley, Shoemaker. — Map (db m146906) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Ruth & David Robertson Housec. 1853

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m146905) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Samuel Reynolds Housec. 1833

[Title is text] — Map (db m146911) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Senator John and Esmeralda Webster House1883

Cheese Dealer, Champion Horseman & Breeder, Town Councillor, M.P. 1911-17, Senator 1918-28

Architect: O.E. Liston — Map (db m147035) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Shop of George Houstonc. 1867

Originally the shop of George Houston Liquor Merchant — Map (db m146913) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Shop of Thomas Cunninghamc. 1846

Originally the shop of Thomas Cunningham Grocer — Map (db m146917) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Smart's Foundry

One of Brockville's most significant industrial complexes stood on the southern part of this park from about 1862 until 1961. Founded by James Smart in the 1850s, it was later incorporated as the James Smart Manufacturing Co. Ltd and was . . . — Map (db m146970) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Smart's Foundry — Brockville Historic Area: The Brock Trail —

This was the site of the large Smart's Foundry complex from ca.1862 to 1961

[Bird's eye view] ca. 1909 — Map (db m146971) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — St. Peter's Church of Englandoriginal part opened 1831

Built to the design of Arthur McClean, an Irish architect who had settled in Brockville. — Map (db m147050) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Sylvester Skinner Housec. 1830

Manufacturer — Map (db m146865) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — T. Gilmore & Co. Buildingc. 1870

Originally the store of T. Gilmore & Co. Wholesale Grocers — Map (db m146996) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Tall Ships 1812 Tour

On the occasion of the first port of call

The City of Brockville expresses tribute and commemoration to the legendary H.M.S. Bounty built in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada

Lost to the sea in November 2012 during Hurricane . . . — Map (db m146969) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — The Brockville Public Library — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

The predecessor of the Brockville Public Library was the Brockville Mechanics' Institute, established in 1842 to provide reading materials and educational opportunities for the town's workingmen. The library was first housed in rented quarters, . . . — Map (db m146939) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — The Strathcona Hotel / The Brock Theatre — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

These two significant Main Street buildings stood, in the past, on the opposite corner site.

The Strathcona Hotel Built for Thomas Tompkins 1900-01 Destroyed by fire Dec. 27, 1911 [Photo] ca. 1908

The Brock Theatre . . . — Map (db m146946) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Thomas & Anna Webster Housebuilt c. 1861

Merchant — Map (db m147046) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Thomas Hume Housec. 1847

District Surveyor & Architect — Map (db m147066) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Timber Rafts on the River

The St. Lawrence River was the major transportation route for natural and manufactured goods of all kinds in the 1800s. Many large rafts of hewn logs were assembled on the rivers of Upper Canada near where they were cut down. Oak timber, like . . . — Map (db m146975) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Tompkins Building and Grand Central Hotelca. 1899 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

Awaiting the parade of visiting firemen for the Canadian-American Firemen's Games. — Map (db m146951) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — War Memorial• Their Name Liveth Forever More •

In honoured memory
Brockville who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War and in grateful remembrance of those who shared its dangers 1914 - 1919 1939 - 1945

Korea 1950 - . . . — Map (db m146983) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Wesleyan Methodist Church1830

Formerly the Wesleyan Methodist Church — Map (db m147030) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — William Buell House — Brockville Historic Area: The Brock Trail —

William Buell Sr. (1751-) was one of Brockville's founders and the original landowner of this part of the village. He built and lived with his family in the four different houses he built near this intersection. The house shown here was Buell's . . . — Map (db m146932) HM

Israel, Haifa District, Sdot Yam — Caesarea / קיסריה
On this site of what was once a Phoenician town, Stratos Tower, King Herod (37-4 BCE) built a resplendent city and named it Caesarea in honor of his patron, Augustus Caesar. Its inhabitants – Romans, Samaritan, and Jews – enjoyed the . . . — Map (db m146243) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of Tapachula), Tapachula — The End of Bʼakʼtun 13
K’ich’e: Izapa ri junab’chi ma are ta ri junab Ri komon rech xa jun kaqb'an 21 diciembre 2012 Oj, oj, utzaqat rech ri ulew rumal la’xa oj jun ruk’ "Rech kaqapatinej, kojtzijon ruk'rech xa junam kaq’an chi rech ri . . . — Map (db m146121) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of Tuxtla Chico), Tuxtla Chico — Group F at Izapa Archaeological Zone
Grupo F Este complejo arquitectónico se ubica en la parte norte de Izapa, conformado por un juego de pelota, las estructuras 126 y 127, los edificios 113, 128, 129, 130, 131 y la plataforma 125, que tiene estructuras encima. Izapa es . . . — Map (db m146236) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of Tuxtla Chico), Tuxtla Chico — Izapa Archaeological Zone
Izapa Zona Arqueológica Patrimonio Cultural de Chiapas y de la Nación Esta antigua ciudad estuvo habitada entre los años 1250 antes de nuestra era y el 1200 de nuestra era. Se convirtió en el centro regional más importante del . . . — Map (db m146220) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Alejandro Arango y Escandón
En esta casa murió Don Alejandro Arango y Escandón favorecedor de esta Ciudad. 1883. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: In this house Alejandro Arango y . . . — Map (db m147387) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of José Joaquín Herrera
El General Don José Joaquín Herrera, Presidente de la República en tres ocasiones, estableció su Gobierno en esta casa, del 30 de mayo al 12 de junio de 1848 por estar ocupada la Capital de la República por el ejército invasor . . . — Map (db m147385) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of Valentín Goméz Farias
Esta casa fué propiedad de Don Valentín Gómez Farías, iniciador de la Reforma, Presidente de la República en dos periodos y constituyente de 1857. En la huerta estuvo sepultado varios años el cuerpo del Ilustre Hombre. . . . — Map (db m147345) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — La Casa de Maternidad
Aquí estuvo “La Casa de Maternidad” fundada por la Archiduquesa Carlota Amalia. 1867. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: Here was "The . . . — Map (db m147422) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Acámbaro), Acámbarao — Miguel Hidalgo as Supreme General of the Nation
El 22 de octubre de 1810, en esta parroquia se canto un te deum solemne por el nombramiento de Generalisimo de la Nacion - al Sr. Cura Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla. 22 de octubre de 1966 English translation: On . . . — Map (db m146276) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Acámbaro), Acámbaro — Home of María Catalina Gómez de Larrondo
En esta casa fue hospedado Dn. Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla del dia 13 al 15 y del 21 al 23 de Octubre de 1810. Vivia en ella, la Heroína Acambarense, Ma Catalina Gomez de Larrondo quien presto grandes servicios a la Gloriosa . . . — Map (db m146608) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Acámbaro), Acámbaro — José María Morelos y Pavón
“Morir es nada cuando por la Patria se muere” Don José María Morelos y Pavón El Pueblo y el Gobierno de Acámbaro rinden honor a "El Siervo de la Nacion" Se devela la presente en recuerdo de los 250 años del natalicio del . . . — Map (db m146363) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Acámbaro), Acámbaro — The Liberator Miguel Hidalgo
“Sin patria ni libertad estaremos siempre a mucha distancia de la verdadera felicidad” Libertador Miguel Hidalgo 204 Aniversario de la Constitución del Ejército Insurgente Libertador y Proclamación de Don Miguel Hidalgo . . . — Map (db m146450) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Dr. Mora), Dr. Mora — Fiftieth Anniversary of the Foundation of the Municipality of Dr. Mora
En el Cincuenta Aniversario de la Fundacion del Municipio de Dr. Mora, Gto. El Honorable Ayuntamiento 1998-2000 rinde homenaje a los doctormorenses que participaron en este acontecimiento histórico, destacando entre ellos los C. Luis . . . — Map (db m146688) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San José Iturbide), El Capulín — Porfirio Vega Guerrero
Pbro. Porfirio Vega Guerrero 1898-1966 Sacerdote Evangelizador Musico Impulsor del arte y la cultura y Constructor del progreso Nacio el 15 de IX de 1898 Ordenado sacerdote 19 de II de 1928 Parroco del 29 de VII de 1933 a 12 de XII . . . — Map (db m146610) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Tarandacuao), Tarandacuao — 175th Anniversary of the Beginning of Mexican Independence
175 Aniversario del Inicio de la Independencia 75 Aniversario del Comienzo de la Revolucion Mexicana 1810 1910 Jornada por la Patria Este Municipio de Tarandacuao ha tenido el alto honor de haber sido visitado por nuestros símbolos . . . — Map (db m146358) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Tarandacuao), Tarandacuao — Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla Generalisimo de America 1753-1811 Libertador de México Gobierno de Tarandacuao 2012-2015 Unidos Progresamos English translation: Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla Supreme . . . — Map (db m146341) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Tarandacuao), Tarandacuao — Royal Charter of Santiago Tarandacuaro
Cedula Real al feliz pueblo de Santiago Tarandacuaro 27 de abril de 1612 Carlos V Rey de España Fundadores: Frayles Misioneros: Santiago de Jesus Ruiz · Antonio Solis Capitanes de Arco y Flecha: 1º Pedro Campos · 2º Andres . . . — Map (db m146240) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — Benito Juárez
El Estado de Hidalgo Al Gran Reformador Benito Juarez En el primer centenario de su natalicio marzo 21 de 1906 English translation: The State of Hidalgo To the Great Reformer Benito Juárez On the 100th . . . — Map (db m147413) HM WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — Captain Antonio Reyes Cabrera"El Tordo"
Siendo Gobernador Constitucional del Edo. de Hgo. C. Lic. Manuel Angel Nunez Soto Fue remodelada e inaugurada esta plaza Cap. Antonio Reyes Cabrera “El Tordo” Huejutla de Reyes, Por la sangre de tu . . . — Map (db m147380) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — Cathedral and Convent San Agustin
Catedral y Convento San Agustín Huejutla de Reyes El Convento de San Agustín fue fundado en 1545, en este caso los misioneros habían accedido a esta región por la Sierra Gorda. La Huasteca fue una región especialmente encomendada a . . . — Map (db m146792) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — Huejutla Monument to the Mexican Revolution
El pueblo de Huejutla al distinguido revolucionario Gral. Daniel Cerecedo Estrada como homenaje de gratitude Noviembre 20 de 1966 La Escuela Secundario Particular Nocturna “Francisco I. Madero” al Apostol de la . . . — Map (db m146953) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — San Agustín Cathedral and Convent
Catedral y Convento San Agustín Huejutla de Reyes La antigua iglesia y convento de San Agustin, Huejutla, se sitúa en un terreno compuesto por una serie de terrazas elevadas; en la más alta, se levanta el convento. Las otras terrazas . . . — Map (db m147167) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — Tribute to Mexican Independence and Revolution
Universidad Tecnológica de la Huasteca Hidalguense Organismo Público Descentralizado del Gobierno del Estado de Hidalgo Mexico 2010 Bicentenario Independencia La historia de una nación se forma de aquellos eventos sociales . . . — Map (db m147555) WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Landa de Matamoros), La Vuelta — Saint Junípero Serra and the Five Sierra Gorda Missions
San Junípero Serra Junípero Serra Ferrer O.F.M. (Petra, Mallorca; 24 de noviembre de 1713 – Monterrey, Alta California; 28 de agosto de 1784), bautizado como Miguel José Serra Ferrer y más conocido tradicionalmente como Fray . . . — Map (db m146929) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Isla Mujeres), Isla Mujeres — Carlos García Castilla"Válvula" — 1949-2017 —
En Honor A Carlos García Castilla "Válvula" 1949-2017 Descubridor de la Cueva de los Tiburones Dormidos Develada Siendo Juan Carrillo Soberanis, Presidente Municipal English translation: In . . . — Map (db m146490) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Xijitla), Xijitla — Edward Frank Willis James
Edward Frank Willis James Edward James, poeta, mecenas, coleccionista y diseñador, nació el 16 de agosto de 1907 en Escocia. Fue el quinto hijo, y el único varón, de William James y Elizabeth Evelyn Forbes. Su padrino fue el Rey . . . — Map (db m146985) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Rochester — Abdication House
King James II of England and VII of Scotland stayed at this house as the guest of Sir Richard Head before embarking for France on the 23rd December 1688 when he finally left England — Map (db m147191) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Rochester — Justice Tree
The iron plate outside the footpath marks the spot where stood the last "Justice Tree" in the county. Pie Powder courts were held here. — Map (db m147186) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Rochester — Restoration House
Restoration House Built in 1587. It is said that Charles II stayed here on the night of 28th May 1660 at his Restoration. The "Satis House" of "Great Expectations" — Map (db m147193) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Rochester — Site of the Saxon Cathedral
Site of the Saxon cathedral built by Ethelbert King of Kent AD 604. The line of the apse is marked inside the cathedral. — Map (db m147189) HM
United Kingdom, Wales (Mid Glamorgan), Aberdare — Aberdare Freemasons1717-2017
FREEMASONS have held meetings in Aberdare since 1856 — Map (db m146606) HM
United Kingdom, Wales (Mid Glamorgan), Aberdare — Cynon Valley Combined Services Memorial
Centre Disc They shall not grow old, as we that are left to grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We will remember them. 3rd November 2019 Bench 1 LEST WE FORGET . . . — Map (db m146647) WM
Alabama (Colbert County), Ford City — The Old Brick Presbyterian Church1820
Old Brick Church began in 1820 as the Mt. Pleasant Cumberland Presbyterian Church and met in a frame building which burned in 1824. The present building has undergone few changes since its construction in 1828 when the congregation was officially . . . — Map (db m147370) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Flomaton — The Old Church Bell
In 1878, Rev. James Lazaruth Bryars planted First Baptist Church in the community that would eventually come to be known as Flomaton. The bell was in the original wooden church building located on Palafox Street, and it was moved to the current . . . — Map (db m146902) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Hayneville — In Memory of Jonathan Myrick DanielsVMI Class of 1961
Johnathan Daniels was murdered near this spot, then Cash's Store, on August 20, 1965.

He gave his life in the fight for integration of the churches and universal voter registration.

At the time, he was a divinity student at . . . — Map (db m147604) HM

Alabama (Lowndes County), Hayneville — Varner's Cash Store
On August 20, 1965, Jonathan Myrick Daniels, a 26-year-old Episcopal seminarian from Keene, New Hampshire, was shot dead at point blank range here. He was a graduate of Virginia Military Institute and was attending Episcopal Theological School, . . . — Map (db m147601) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Eight Mile — "Little Church in the Pines"Musuem at Chickasabogue Park
The building on this site has been called many names and served many functions in its long life. Originally known as the "Methodist-Episcopalian Church" and later as the "Little Church in the Pines," the structure was located a few miles from here . . . — Map (db m146901) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The UNESCO Slave Route: Resistance, Liberty, Heritage / Honoring The Memory Of The Ancestors
{Side 1} The UNESCO Slave Route: Resistance, Liberty, Heritage Launched in 1994, the international and inter-regional project ‘The Slave Route: Resistance, Liberty, Heritage’ addresses the history of the slave trade and slavery . . . — Map (db m147638) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Maxwell Air Force Base and the Air University
The Air Force presence in Montgomery, Alabama began in April 1918 with the establishment of the U.S. Army Air Service's Aircraft and Engine Repair Depot #3 at the same site as the earlier Wright Brothers' flying school. On November 8, 1922, the . . . — Map (db m146981) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Maxwell Air Force Base/Air University(Located to West off Bell Street)
In 1910, Wilbur and Orville Wright opened a flying school on the Kohn plantation west of Montgomery where for three months they trained aviators and made history with the first night flight. Today, Maxwell AFB, home of the Air University, the Air . . . — Map (db m146978) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Native Americans
Several cultures have occupied this region including Woodland, Mississippian and, later, Muskogeans. Called "Creeks" by Europeans, the latter made their homes along banks of streams. A loose confederation of tribes, Creeks developed a . . . — Map (db m146977) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Wright Brothers Flying School
On December 17, 1903, Orville and Wilbur Wright made the first controlled, powered, and sustained heavier-than-air human flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Over the next seven years, the brothers continued to develop their flying machine and had . . . — Map (db m146980) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Parker — Empire Flat Landing Site
In the 1860's, Prospector Pauline Weaver discovered gold on the eastside of the Colorado River, setting off a mining rush in the area. Ore from nearby mines in the Buckskin Hills was transported by wagon down the washes to the Colorado River which . . . — Map (db m145826) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Pope John Paul IIOn September 2, 1985
His Holiness Pope John Paul II On September 2, 1985 Solemnly Proclaimed This Church of The Immaculate Conception of The Blessed Virgin Mary To Be A Minor Basilica The Ceremony of Designation December 8, 1985 Most Rev. Robert F. Sanchez . . . — Map (db m146333) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — "Site #6"Lake Havasu Auxiliary Field #6
Site #6, now officially known as Lake Havasu Auxiliary Field #6, was acquired by the Army Air Force during World War II as an emergency landing field for the Kingman Army Air Field's Yucca Aerial Gunnery Range. The emergency field was established . . . — Map (db m145825) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Apache Junction — Apache TrailState Route 88 — Arizona's First Historic Highway / Dedicated February 25, 1987 —
The Apache Trail was created by Native American tribes traveling between their summer homes in the mountains and winter homes in the desert. The Trail became a roadway in 1905, for use in hauling supplies to the construction site of Roosevelt Dam. . . . — Map (db m145828) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 935 Hearst Avenue
No pivotal battles that changed the course of history were fought here. Nary a famous person was ever born or raised, lived, slept, dined, or even gave a glancing look at this place. This location did not provide a monumental role in the . . . — Map (db m147452) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Burl Toler, Sr.(May 9, 1928 - August 16, 2009)
was a college football star at the University of San Francisco and #1 NEL draft pick but lost the chancce to play pro football when he suffered a career- ending knee injury during a college all- star game. Instead he became the first African . . . — Map (db m145994) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Historic "Lorin District"
South Berkeley was originally settled by Coast Indians. After Spanish conquest in the 1700s, large land tracts were held by the Peralta, Ashby and Harmon families.

Transportation has been a key factor in Lorin's history. Gov. Stanford . . . — Map (db m145998) HM

California (Alameda County), Hayward — 1025 — Ukrania
“Ukraina” is the site of the farm and burial place of the Ukrainian patriot and exiled orthodox priest Agapius Honcharenko (1832-1916) and his wife Albina. Honcharenko was the first nationally conscious Ukrainian to arrive in the United . . . — Map (db m146447) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 6 — S & W Fine FoodsOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
After leaving its leased location at 255 Third St. and constructing this warehouse, S&W Fine Foods, Inc. adopted the name that is today one of the oldest food brands in the United States. S&W grew to become one of the country's largest packagers . . . — Map (db m146200) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 7 — Safeway StoresOakland Waterfront Warehouse District
Sirloin steak sold for 20 cents a pound when Safeway Stores established its first headquarters in this warehouse. An adjacent Western Pacific Railroad spur line and nearby Port of Oakland shipping facilities allowed Safeway to receive inventory and . . . — Map (db m146199) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Bald Rock Dome
Bald Rock Dome was formed from a large body of melted rocks (called the Bald Rock Pluton) deep in the earth's crust. The Bald Rock Pluton is two miles wide, and was formed approximately 140 million years ago. As the pluton cooled, parts of its . . . — Map (db m146208) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Native Food Preparation
As you rest under the shade of this oak tree, you may notice several bowl shaped depressions in the rocks. These depressions, called mortars, were created over the last 2000 years by Maidu Indians. Each mortar was created for a specific purpose, . . . — Map (db m146228) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — A Community of Flower Growers
(front or street side:)

"My parents were given much help (from the Adachis and Nabetas) digging a well by hand and building their house. Much help was given on how to grow the flowers as well as how to build the greenhouses. . . . — Map (db m145945) HM

California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Contra Costa Florist
In front of you is the last remaining structure of El Cerrito's once vibrant Japanese American flower growing industry: the former storefront of Contra Costa Florist which was owned by the Mabuchi Family.

Hikojiro and Tomi Mabuchi, . . . — Map (db m145944) HM

California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 110 EscobarOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest —
Tucker Mansion Originally located at 40 Escobar, this luxurious mansion was built for Capt. Tuckers Family, a sea captain turned successful wheat grower. Home was moved here in the 1920S by city postmaster Franklin Glass & is listed on . . . — Map (db m146404) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 236 EscobarOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest —
Original Martellacci Home Frank & Emma emigrated from Suvereto, Tuscany, Italy. They owned Martellaccis Grocery on Main St. & provided a wine press at $1.25 for the service. Built 1926 — Map (db m146403) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 534 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest —
Original home of David & Golda Mendel, owners of "Mendel's Dry Goods" on Main St. Later home to the Frazer & Vitale families

* Built 1920 * — Map (db m146395) HM

California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 608 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest —
Dr. John Tennant practiced from this Queen Anne home until his death in 1892. House was later sold to City Attorney James Rogers Sr

circa 1880's — Map (db m146392) HM

California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 614 RichardsonOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest —
Building originally served as a boarding house to early refinery workers & fishermen. Owned by Frank Martellacci, who lived next door. He also owned a grocery store, worked at the Shell Refinery & C&H Sugar

Built (date illegible)Map (db m146385) HM

California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 634 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest —
Original Rogers Home This home was moved from downtown in early 1900's as a wedding gift to James Rodgers Jr. Grandson of the Buckleys

Built 1880's — Map (db m146389) HM

California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 700 AlhambraOld Town Martinez — Home of Historical Interest —
Original Oehm Hotel First modern hotel in Martinez. Built in anticipation of the soon to come Shell Oil refinery. * Built- 1914 * — Map (db m146378) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pittsburg — Bristol Bay Sail Gill Netter
Early Pittsburg, then called New York Landing and Black Diamond, was largely an Italian commercial fishing and canning village. Many of the Italian-American and other families from Pittsburg are descendants from that era. This boat is a . . . — Map (db m146534) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pittsburg — California Theatre
Since opening its doors on May 4, 1920, this theatre has been a cornerstone to the New York Landing Historic District in Old Town Pittsburg. Like many Bay Area theaters of the 1920's, the California Theatre was designed by A.W. Cornelius in a . . . — Map (db m146532) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Alvarado Park
Alvarado Park (Grand Canyon Park) was established in 1909 and soon became a popular destination for visitors from throughout the Bay Area. From the mid-1930s to 1943 Richmond installed the park's rock and concrete walls, barbecue pits, and stone . . . — Map (db m146005) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Alvarado Park
A Popular Gathering Place for 200 Years

Alvarado Park has long been a popular spot to gather. Native Americans lived here and ground acorns on the site. Later, Spanish settlers came to picnic at what they called Arroyo Cañada (stream . . . — Map (db m146445) HM

California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Native Peoples of the East Bay
Before the coming of Europeans, the land we now call California supported hundreds of tribal groups. The East Bay had about 25 independent tribal groups with well-defined territories. The people of these tribes spake dialects of three distinct . . . — Map (db m146034) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — 1032 — Richmond Shipyards
During the World War II Home Front effort, the Richmond Shipyards were an immense facility covering 880 acres. Constructed for the Henry J. Kaiser Company in 1941 and 1942, these shipyards became the largest in the world. New methods of ship . . . — Map (db m146451) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Where the Deer and the Antelope PlayAnza Expedition of 1776
In 1775 and 1776, Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza, Father Pedro Font, along with 240 settlers, soldiers, and others traveled 1,800 miles from Sonora, Mexico to Monterey, California. Anza and Font, with a small group passed through by horseback . . . — Map (db m145988) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 143 — James W. Marshall1810 - 1885
. . . — Map (db m146477) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Jonathan Davis
On December 19, 1854 just North of Georgetown above Cherokee Bar on Ruck-a-Chuky a gunfight occurred that makes the OK Corral look weak. The Sydney Ducky Gang consisting of 5 Australians, 4 Mexicans,2 Britons, 2 Americans and a Frenchman had . . . — Map (db m146755) HM
California (Fresno County), Dunlap — 33 — Dunlap CemeteryBaker's Mountain
Arriving in Fresno County in 1870, Sands Baker purchased a quarter section of land at the base of what became Baker's Mountain. Baker continually added to this tract until he had about 2000 acres. Baker was prominent in the mountain community. . . . — Map (db m147608) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Lone Pine's 'Movie Man'
The story of movie-making in Lone Pine must include local rancher Russell Spainhower, who for years was Hollywood’s main contact man here. “We need 50 horses and 10 wagons next week,” they’d say and Spainhower would arrange it, plus help . . . — Map (db m146399) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — The Duke and the Dow
The Dow Hotel was built in 1923 to accommodate the growing numbers of movie companies coming regularly to Lone Pine even then. The motel units were added in 1957. Those who stayed here over the years while filming in the Alabama Hills include Tom . . . — Map (db m146400) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale
This memorial plaque placed in memory of Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale First Superintendent of Indian Affairs in California appointed by President Millard Fillmore Sanctioned by the United States government the Tejon Indian . . . — Map (db m147357) HM
California (Lassen County), Janesville — 758 — Fort Janesville
Built in 1859 during the Piute War — Map (db m146483) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — 750 — The Munch Box
A classic 1950's hamburger stand built in 1956 Cultural Heritage Commission Cultural Monument No. 750. — Map (db m145764) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Alex Theatre
Alex Theatre Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1925 Theatre Building — Arthur G. Lindley & Charles R. Selkirk, architects 1940 Marquee & Tower — S. . . . — Map (db m145347) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — Fairmount Pioneer Cemetery
Fairmount Pioneer Cemetery was established in 1876 on land donated by James C. Preston, owner of this San Felipe Hill site and the surrounding property, to serve the communities of Azusa, Glendora, and Covina. Trustees appointed by the Los . . . — Map (db m146425) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — Rain Bird Impact Drive Sprinkler HeadHistoric Landmark of Agricultural Engineering
The Rain Bird horizontal action impact drive sprinkler head was invented in 1933 by Orton Englehardt, a citrus grower and native of Glendora. The design offered slow rotation and uniform watering, benefits long sought by local irrigators. . . . — Map (db m146402) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Crescenta-Montrose — The Bell of La Crescenta Elementary School
Dominated by a shingled belfry and resonant bell, the first schoolhouse in the Crescenta-Cañada Valley was erected on this site in 1888. Rehung in 1914, this bell summoned children to school until it was dismantled in 1948, when it began . . . — Map (db m147003) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Electric Power PoleCity of Los Angeles
On this corner, March 30, 1916, was erected the first pole of the municipal electric distribution system of the City of Los Angeles. This plaque placed February 5, 1952, by the Department of Water and Power as a part of the commemoration . . . — Map (db m147324) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 972 — Naval and Marine Corps Reserve CenterLos Angeles
Designed as the largest enclosed structure without columns in the world by noted California architects Robert Clements & Associates, this Art Deco building, constructed between 1938 and 1941 by the WPA, is the largest and second-oldest Navy Reserve . . . — Map (db m147662) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Nike Missile Site LA96C
Panel 1: Formerly a Nike Missile control site, U.S. Army 1956-1968. Currently San Vicente Mountain Park, gateway to the Big Wild. Restricted entry, vehicles with handicapped permits only beyond this point. Welcome. Panel . . . — Map (db m146037) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Rancho Rosa CastillaSite of California State University Los Angeles — Historical Marker —
On this site in 1776 Franciscan missionaries built one of 36 original California adobes. — Map (db m146916) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Rio de Los Angeles State ParkTaylor Yard
Tongva, 10,000 BC. The first people of Los Angeles used this river as a source for food, materials for daily life, and spiritual renewal. Spanish, 1769. The Portola Expedition. Rancho San Rafael, 1784. The . . . — Map (db m145349) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 1 — The Honorable Edmund D. EdelmanSupervisor, Third District — Serving from 1974 - 1994 —
Edmund D. Edelman was first elected to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors in 1974, following a distinguished nine-year career on the Los Angeles City Council and prior public service in Washington, D.C.; Sacramento; and the U.S. Navy. . . . — Map (db m146509) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — World Trade Center Monument
This monument that now stands in front of you is a tribute to the Firefighters who lost their lives at the World Trade Center, on September 11, 2001. This monument once stood as a major portion of the vertical structural support for the center's . . . — Map (db m147659) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 106 — York Junction
Intersection of York & Figueroa York Junction is the name given to the intersection of York Boulevard and North Figueroa Street and the area surrounding it. The name "York Junction" is derived from a streetcar line stop, which . . . — Map (db m146881) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Harden GatehousePortuguese Point
Edward Walker Harden married Ruth Isabel Vanderlip in 1903, in Chicago. They built the gatehouse, as it stands today, in 1926. Gordon Kaufmann was the architect, and the Olmsted Brothers designed the landscaping. This imposing structure is of . . . — Map (db m147719) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Catalina Channel
The Catalina Channel, about 25 miles wide and close to 500 fathoms deep (about 3,000 feet), separates Santa Catalina Island from the mainland. This part of the Pacific Ocean was first visited by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542, sailing under the . . . — Map (db m147299) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Royal Palms County BeachWhite Point
Royal Palms County Beach was originally developed as the Royal Palms Recreation Center by Roman Sepulveda from his share of the original Rancho Palos Verdes land grant. In 1908, Sepulveda installed an outdoor, terrazo dance floor at the foot . . . — Map (db m147298) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Santa Catalina Island
About 25 miles west of here, across the channel, lies Santa Catalina Island, which can be seen distinctly on a clear day. Santa Catalina Island, originally named San Salvador by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542, was later visited . . . — Map (db m147341) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — White Point Fountain
White Point fountain is a relic of the one-time White Point Sulphur Springs spa complex which was built on the shore below the cliff. Made of concrete, it stood at the center of the hot springs building complex near the sea wall and outdoor . . . — Map (db m147327) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — White Point Nike Missile Site
The large concrete bunker, seen across the street, was the White Point Nike Site, built in the early 1950's. It was one of many such sites ringing the Los Angeles basin manned by National Guard units. Originally a site for the . . . — Map (db m147323) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — St. Francis Dam
The St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles Aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12⅓ billion gallons of water roaring down . . . — Map (db m146564) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Torrance — Jared Sidney Torrance1852 - 1921
Founder of the city of Torrance, known as Sidney to his many friends, he was a Southern California corporate and civic leader. At the age of 59, he purchased Rancho Dominguez grazing lands and created a city in which industry, commerce and . . . — Map (db m147394) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Valencia — Tesoro Adobe
Harry Carey Sr. was an early silent-screen actor who starred in more than 200 films. In 1916 he took over the homestead rights of a previous settler and established his ranch of almost 2,000 acres. Carey, the first of many film actors to settle in . . . — Map (db m146570) HM
California (Modoc County), Canby — L-9 — Lassen Trail - Pit River
"We now call this cr. a river, but we do not know what it is. We begin to hear ... that we are near the Sacramento Valley" - Elijah Preston Howell, Sep 8, 1849 — Map (db m147426) HM
California (Modoc County), Davis Creek — A-33 — Applegate Trail - Davis Creek
... Decent [sic] to the lake ... Night brought us to the end of the lake ... We laid up on a mountain brook where the roads forked ... One branch going to Oregon, the other to California." Alonzo Delano, August 28, 1849 — Map (db m147424) HM
California (Modoc County), Davis Creek — A-31 — Applegate Trail - Descent to Lassen Creek
"Four miles to a beautiful little stream of pure cold water coming from the mountains to our left and emptying into Goose Lake ... Camped there ...Found plenty of ripe plums on the neighboring mountain sides." - Andrew Murphy, Sep 23, 1849 — Map (db m147338) HM
California (Modoc County), Fort Bidwell — A-28A — Applegate Trail - Fandango Pass Ascent
"We arrived at the foot of the summit ridge, the top of which lay one mile distant ... Up we ascended, slowly but surely, by the toilsome climbing of the teams and by lifting of the members. ... at the wheels." - William Swain, Oct 11, 1849 — Map (db m147406) HM
California (Modoc County), Fort Bidwell — A-28B — Applegate Trail - Fandango Pass Descent
"Passing over the summit, which is a very narrow ridge, a broad,deep valley ... presented itself to our view, far below us ... We immediately descended the mountain, which on this side, is fearfully steep" - Amos Batchelder, Sep 25, 1849 — Map (db m147407) HM
California (Modoc County), Newell — A-44 — Applegate Trail - Bloody Point
"Over divide to Tule Lake, on Lost River, passed in sight of Bloody Point where a train of emigrants were cut off last year. This afternoon Geo. W. Ebey killed a brant on the lake. Oh, so good to eat." - James Henry Bascomb Royal, Oct 19, 1853. — Map (db m147563) HM
California (Modoc County), Newell — BC-1 — Burnett Cutoff - At Klamath [Tule] Lake
"We followed the Applegate Route to Klamath Lake [Tule Lake], where we left that road and took a southern direction. Thomas McKay, myself, and five others ... Went on in advance of the wagons to discover the best route" - Peter Burnett, Oct 1848 — Map (db m147564) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — Surviving the Snowy Trek Out
In February, 1847, the first relief party from Sutter's Fort arrived. Two more relief parties came in March. These relief parties took 14 people from here out across the frozen Sierra. Only 11 survived (8 were children). Five people remained at . . . — Map (db m146235) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — The Fight to Stay Alive
By December 20th, the outlook was grim. Jacob Donner and three of the teamsters had died. The cold and dampness were constant. As snow piled higher, dry fire wood was harder to find. Tall tree stumps were once numerous throughout this area. They . . . — Map (db m146234) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Petrified TreeFrom the Pike Petrified Forest, Colorado
This section weighs five tons and measures 7 1/2 feet in diameter. The original tree, estimated to have been 200 feet tall, was part of a sub-tropical forest 55 to 70 million years ago in what is now Colorado. Scientists believe it to be of the . . . — Map (db m146186) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 21 — Buddhist Church
Built in 1935 and dedicated in 1936. First Buddhist Church in Orange County. In 1954 the Church was moved to Stanton then moved to present location in Anaheim in 1965. — Map (db m146156) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Beach — 6 — Laguna Beach Art Museum
The Laguna Beach Art Association, started by Edgar Payne, was a natural development of the art colony established about 1900. The first gallery was in Old Town Hall. The permanent gallery, constructed on this site in 1929, houses a collection of . . . — Map (db m146972) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 794 — McFadden (Newport) Wharf
The original wharf at this site was completed in the winter of 1888-89 and was connected by railroad with the hinterland in the winter of 1890-91. It served as a shipping and distributing point for Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties . . . — Map (db m146157) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — First Mining DitchYankee Jims Historical Landmark
Here the first mining ditch was built by H. Starr and E. Phelps in 1851 — Map (db m146237) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 2008-5 — Booth Building
This building was the home of the Booth Company, a wholesale grocery business and its founder Newton Booth, lawyer, writer, lecturer, and politician. Booth served as State Senator 1862-1863, and lived here while Governor of California 1871-1875 . . . — Map (db m146474) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 780 — First Transcontinental Railroad Groundbreaking Site
You are standing where the First Transcontinental Railroad in America had its western origin, at Front and K Streets in Sacramento. On January 8, 1863, prominent citizens and railroad founders gathered here for a groundbreaking ceremony to . . . — Map (db m146491) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 780 — First Transcontinental Railroad Groundbreaking Site
First Transcontinental Railroad Groundbreaking Site At this location on January 8, 1863, Governor Stanford surrounded by politicians and locals, announced the start of the United States’ first transcontinental railroad. You are standing at . . . — Map (db m146872) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — United States Post Office, Courthouse, & Federal BuildingNational Register of Historic Places
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior United States Post Office, Courthouse, & Federal Building c. 1933 — Map (db m146396) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — San Juan Bautista Historic District
San Juan Bautista Historic District has been designated a National Registered Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or . . . — Map (db m146476) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Ocean Beach Municipal PierEstablished 1966
Originally named San Diego Fishing Pier, the Ocean Beach Municipal Pier was built in 1966. The OB Pier is the longest concrete pier on the west coast, extending 1,971 feet with a T-shape platform at the end of the pier adding 360 feet to the south . . . — Map (db m147233) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 1016 — Stockton Developmental Center
The Stockton Developmental Center was established in 1853 as the Insane Asylum of California, the first of several state asylums. Stockton’s founder, Charles M. Weber, donated half of the 100 acre site. It was one of the first facilities of its kind . . . — Map (db m146475) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Tracy — 777 — Site of San Joaquin City
This river town was established in 1849. Pioneers and freight wagons following post roads to the southern mines crossed the river nearby at Durham's Ferry. As a terminal for riverboats, the town played an important part in development of west . . . — Map (db m146456) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — “World’s Safest Beach”Carpinteria
The moniker "World's Safest Beach” was initially used in the 1920's to attract visitors to Carpinteria's pristine beaches, made "safe” by the sheltering Channel Islands. It later came to be embraced by the local community as an . . . — Map (db m147472) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 2 — Heath Adobe
One of Carpinteria Valley's earliest American settlers, Russel Heath, built a two-story adobe home here in 1858. Heath served as Santa Barbara's district attorney, first elected sheriff, and California state legislator. Heath planted his original . . . — Map (db m147603) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 535 — La Carpinteria1769
The Chumash Indian Village of "Mishopshnow," discovered by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespi of the Gaspar de Portola expedition named it "San Roque," August 17, 1769. Portola's . . . — Map (db m147308) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Myron HuntArchitect — 1868-1952 —
Myron Hunt was one of the leading architects involved in the development of regional architecture for Southern California. The classical Mediterranean look of most of the important public buildings and large residential estates has . . . — Map (db m147419) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 339 — New Almaden(The New Mine) — After Almaden Mine in Spain —
The first workable quicksilver mine in North America – First mine of any kind in California – First worked 1824 – Denounced November 1845. Has produced more metallic wealth than any individual gold mine in California. Its discovery . . . — Map (db m146473) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Capitola — Historic Lawn Way Cottages
The early land surrounding Capitola first saw sea side lagoons and meadows of colorful wild flowers, eucalyptus trees and butterflies with Ohlone Indians fishing in Soquel Creek to glowing barely fields and a potato warehouse in 1850.

The . . . — Map (db m147263) HM

California (Shasta County), Shingletown — Bumpass’s HellKendall Vanhook Bumpass
Our guide [Mr. K.V. Bumpass,] after cautioning us to be careful where we stepped, that the surface was treacherous, suddenly concluded with Virgil that the “descent to Hell was easy” for stepping upon a slight inequality in the ground . . . — Map (db m146201) HM

1841 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1641
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 7, 2020