Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Search Results

838 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 638
 
Marker detail: Malay Falls, power house excavation image, Touch for more information
Courtesy MacPhee House Museum, Sheet Harbour
Marker detail: Malay Falls, power house excavation
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Sheet Harbour — Hydroelectric Power — Sheet Harbour —
For almost 150 years, the East and West Rivers provided Sheet Harbour with waterpower for its sawmills. In the 1920s, the East River played an important role in delivering hydroelectric power to Sheet Harbour, as well as other communities in Nova . . . — Map (db m146158) HM
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Amanda & Joseph P. Deacon Housebuilt 1870-72

Attorney & Police Magistrate — Map (db m147038) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Bartholomew and Ruth Ann Carley Housec. 1830

[Title is text] — Map (db m146910) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Brockville Infantry Company / The Brockville RiflesFor All Who Served

In honour of all our men and women who have answered the call to arms in defence of our homeland along with the Brockville Infantry Company (1862) and The Brockville Rifles (1866).

Unveiled by Mayor David Henderson, July . . . — Map (db m146965) HM WM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Brockville Recorder

Commemorating the continuous publication of the Brockville Recorder for one hundred years 1821 — 1921— Ontario's Oldest Newspaper Recording events of local, national and world-wide . . . — Map (db m146967) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Buell, Donaldson, and Ross Buildingsca. 1910 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

Brockville's new concrete granolithic sidewalks and electric arc street lamps are in place. — Map (db m146947) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Capt. Thomas Hayes Housec. 1851
Capt. Thomas Hayes House, c. 1851. — Map (db m146994) HM
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Centennial of Confederation1867 • 1967

Brockville Centennial Park Erected by the City of Brockville in permanent commemoration of the Centennial of Confederation in Canada in 1967. Construction was made possible through the co-operation of the Province of . . . — Map (db m147115) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Charles E. Jones Housec. 1858

Gentleman Son of the Hon. Charles Jones — Map (db m146907) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Chipman-Page Housebuilt ca. 1877

• Built by Abigail & Lewis Chipman about 1877

• Owned 1896-1933 by Olivia & J. Albert Page, a Lawyer and Police Magistrate — Map (db m147069) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Christina & Thomas Campbell Housebuilt ca. 1830

Clerk of the County Court for 40 years. Died 1857. Academy for Young Ladies, 1857. — Map (db m147072) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Comstock Funeral ProcessionMay 25 1892

Funeral procession for Edwin P. Comstock (1865-1892) — Map (db m146960) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Court House Avenueca. 1898 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

An unpaved Court House Avenue before 1917, when a boulevard was created and a fountain added. — Map (db m146943) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Daniel Derbyshire Housec. 1865

Businessman and Senator — Map (db m147061) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — David Simpson Housec. 1880

[Title is text] — Map (db m146908) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Dr. Thomas McQueen Housec. 1840

[Title is text] — Map (db m146990) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Elizabeth and James Hall Housec. 1820

James St. was named after him in 1832. — Map (db m147027) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — First Bank in Brockville

In September, 1843, the first bank in Brockville was opened on Court House Avenue by the Bank of Montreal This plaque commemorates that event and was installed by the bank to observe its 150th anniversary in the Centennial . . . — Map (db m146979) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Fulford Blockca. 1905

The Fulford Block, built 1887-89

This photograph shows how the Fulford Block looked before a disastrous fire in July 1916 destroyed everything but the outside walls. — Map (db m146959) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Fun on the Riverc.1900

[Historical photos of river activities] — Map (db m146933) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — George Crain Housec. 1893

Contractor — Map (db m146993) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — H. H. Cossitt & Bro. Building

H. H. Cossitt & Bro. Confectioners c. 1895 - c. 1903

C. H. Buell & Son Bakers and Confectioners c. 1903 - 1918

John Tait Baker and Confectioner 1919 - 1930 — Map (db m146912) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Halladay Blockca. 1920 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

The large Halladay Block was mostly destroyed by the fire on November 27, 1949.

On the near corner was the gasoline station and tire vulcanizing shop of Leroy Dickey. — Map (db m147012) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Halladay Blockca. 1915 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

On the right is the corner grocery store of James L. Greenwood.

It was located in the former Halladay Block, mostly destroyed by the fire on November 27, 1949. — Map (db m147013) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Henry and Ellen Soper Housec. 1876

Painter — Map (db m146909) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Indian Cliff

Residence From 1884 to 1905 of Major James M. Walsh Superintendent of The North-West Mounted Police

Major James Morrow Walsh was a Canadian hero and a figure of national prominence in the second half of the nineteenth . . . — Map (db m147075) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Is[a]ac Beecher House

Front c.1840 Rear c.1815

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m146973) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — James Hall & Co. Ontario Glove Works 1865 - 1917Brockville Historic Area: The Brock Trail — Région Historique : La Piste de Brockville —

Founded in 1865, the James Hall & Co. Glove Works operated on this site until about 1917. By 1898, it was the largest company making gloves and mitts in Canada. Owned and operated by John MacLaren and later his cousin, William C. . . . — Map (db m146944) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — John C. Potter Housec. 1834

[Title is text] — Map (db m146918) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — John M. McMullen Housec. 1834

[Title is text] — Map (db m146919) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Major General Sir Isaac Brock — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

Pictured hereon is the 1812 monument in St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England with the following inscription:

Erected at the public expense To the memory of Major General Sir Isaac Brock, who gloriously fell . . . — Map (db m146942) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — May Day Paradeca. 1900 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

This appears to be a May Day Parade, as the young girls in white dresses who performed each year on the Court House Green pass by. — Map (db m146958) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — McCrady Tannery / Brockville Yacht Clubca. 1909 — Brockville Historic Area: The Brock Trail —

The mouth of Buell’s Creek was the location of an early sawmill built by Daniel Jones Sr. in the 1790s. This was followed by the gristmill, built by Robert Shepherd in the 1850s (still existing to the north).

From the position, looking . . . — Map (db m146935) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Newton Cossitt House1881

Architect: James P. Johnston. Ogdensburg, N.Y.

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m147029) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Ornamental Arch1860 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

One of 5 ornamental arches built for the visit of Queen Victoria’s son Albert Edward, Prince of Wales on September 2, 1860. — Map (db m147016) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Queen's Hotel and Victoria Hallca. 1890 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

In the middle of this picture are the former Queen's Hotel (left) and Victoria Hall (right). The latter, built in 1862-64, is now Brockville's City Hall. — Map (db m146962) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Robert Shepherd Grist Millc. 1852

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m146914) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Ross-Dowsley Housebuilt c. 1828

Early Owners: Mrs. Jane Ross, Widow. her son, John Ross, Merchant. George Dowsley, Shoemaker. — Map (db m146906) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Ruth & David Robertson Housec. 1853

A Brockville Landmark Designated Under The Ontario Heritage Act — Map (db m146905) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Samuel Reynolds Housec. 1833

[Title is text] — Map (db m146911) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Senator John and Esmeralda Webster House1883

Cheese Dealer, Champion Horseman & Breeder, Town Councillor, M.P. 1911-17, Senator 1918-28

Architect: O.E. Liston — Map (db m147035) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Shop of George Houstonc. 1867

Originally the shop of George Houston Liquor Merchant — Map (db m146913) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Shop of Thomas Cunninghamc. 1846

Originally the shop of Thomas Cunningham Grocer — Map (db m146917) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Smart's Foundry

One of Brockville's most significant industrial complexes stood on the southern part of this park from about 1862 until 1961. Founded by James Smart in the 1850s, it was later incorporated as the James Smart Manufacturing Co. Ltd and was . . . — Map (db m146970) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Smart's Foundry — Brockville Historic Area: The Brock Trail —

This was the site of the large Smart's Foundry complex from ca.1862 to 1961

[Bird's eye view] ca. 1909 — Map (db m146971) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — St. Peter's Church of Englandoriginal part opened 1831

Built to the design of Arthur McClean, an Irish architect who had settled in Brockville. — Map (db m147050) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — T. Gilmore & Co. Buildingc. 1870

Originally the store of T. Gilmore & Co. Wholesale Grocers — Map (db m146996) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Tall Ships 1812 Tour

On the occasion of the first port of call

The City of Brockville expresses tribute and commemoration to the legendary H.M.S. Bounty built in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada

Lost to the sea in November 2012 during Hurricane . . . — Map (db m146969) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — The Brockville Public Library — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

The predecessor of the Brockville Public Library was the Brockville Mechanics' Institute, established in 1842 to provide reading materials and educational opportunities for the town's workingmen. The library was first housed in rented quarters, . . . — Map (db m146939) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — The Strathcona Hotel / The Brock Theatre — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

These two significant Main Street buildings stood, in the past, on the opposite corner site.

The Strathcona Hotel Built for Thomas Tompkins 1900-01 Destroyed by fire Dec. 27, 1911 [Photo] ca. 1908

The Brock Theatre . . . — Map (db m146946) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Thomas & Anna Webster Housebuilt c. 1861

Merchant — Map (db m147046) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Thomas Hume Housec. 1847

District Surveyor & Architect — Map (db m147066) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Timber Rafts on the River

The St. Lawrence River was the major transportation route for natural and manufactured goods of all kinds in the 1800s. Many large rafts of hewn logs were assembled on the rivers of Upper Canada near where they were cut down. Oak timber, like . . . — Map (db m146975) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Tompkins Building and Grand Central Hotelca. 1899 — Brockville Historic Area: Our Past —

Awaiting the parade of visiting firemen for the Canadian-American Firemen's Games. — Map (db m146951) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — War Memorial• Their Name Liveth Forever More •

In honoured memory
Brockville who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War and in grateful remembrance of those who shared its dangers 1914 - 1919 1939 - 1945

Korea 1950 - . . . — Map (db m146983) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — Wesleyan Methodist Church1830

Formerly the Wesleyan Methodist Church — Map (db m147030) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Brockville — William Buell House — Brockville Historic Area: The Brock Trail —

William Buell Sr. (1751-) was one of Brockville's founders and the original landowner of this part of the village. He built and lived with his family in the four different houses he built near this intersection. The house shown here was Buell's . . . — Map (db m146932) HM

Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Alejandro Arango y Escandón
En esta casa murió Don Alejandro Arango y Escandón favorecedor de esta Ciudad. 1883. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: In this house Alejandro Arango y . . . — Map (db m147387) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of José Joaquín Herrera
El General Don José Joaquín Herrera, Presidente de la República en tres ocasiones, estableció su Gobierno en esta casa, del 30 de mayo al 12 de junio de 1848 por estar ocupada la Capital de la República por el ejército invasor . . . — Map (db m147385) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of Valentín Goméz Farias
Esta casa fué propiedad de Don Valentín Gómez Farías, iniciador de la Reforma, Presidente de la República en dos periodos y constituyente de 1857. En la huerta estuvo sepultado varios años el cuerpo del Ilustre Hombre. . . . — Map (db m147345) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — La Casa de Maternidad
Aquí estuvo “La Casa de Maternidad” fundada por la Archiduquesa Carlota Amalia. 1867. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: Here was "The . . . — Map (db m147422) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — Benito Juárez
El Estado de Hidalgo Al Gran Reformador Benito Juarez En el primer centenario de su natalicio marzo 21 de 1906 English translation: The State of Hidalgo To the Great Reformer Benito Juárez On the 100th . . . — Map (db m147413) HM WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — Captain Antonio Reyes Cabrera"El Tordo"
Siendo Gobernador Constitucional del Edo. de Hgo. C. Lic. Manuel Angel Nunez Soto Fue remodelada e inaugurada esta plaza Cap. Antonio Reyes Cabrera “El Tordo” Huejutla de Reyes, Por la sangre de tu . . . — Map (db m147380) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — Huejutla Monument to the Mexican Revolution
El pueblo de Huejutla al distinguido revolucionario Gral. Daniel Cerecedo Estrada como homenaje de gratitude Noviembre 20 de 1966 La Escuela Secundario Particular Nocturna “Francisco I. Madero” al Apostol de la . . . — Map (db m146953) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — San Agustín Cathedral and Convent
Catedral y Convento San Agustín Huejutla de Reyes La antigua iglesia y convento de San Agustin, Huejutla, se sitúa en un terreno compuesto por una serie de terrazas elevadas; en la más alta, se levanta el convento. Las otras terrazas . . . — Map (db m147167) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huejutla de Reyes), Huejutla — Tribute to Mexican Independence and Revolution
Universidad Tecnológica de la Huasteca Hidalguense Organismo Público Descentralizado del Gobierno del Estado de Hidalgo Mexico 2010 Bicentenario Independencia La historia de una nación se forma de aquellos eventos sociales . . . — Map (db m147555) WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Landa de Matamoros), La Vuelta — Saint Junípero Serra and the Five Sierra Gorda Missions
San Junípero Serra Junípero Serra Ferrer O.F.M. (Petra, Mallorca; 24 de noviembre de 1713 – Monterrey, Alta California; 28 de agosto de 1784), bautizado como Miguel José Serra Ferrer y más conocido tradicionalmente como Fray . . . — Map (db m146929) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Xijitla), Xijitla — Edward Frank Willis James
Edward Frank Willis James Edward James, poeta, mecenas, coleccionista y diseñador, nació el 16 de agosto de 1907 en Escocia. Fue el quinto hijo, y el único varón, de William James y Elizabeth Evelyn Forbes. Su padrino fue el Rey . . . — Map (db m146985) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Rochester — Abdication House
King James II of England and VII of Scotland stayed at this house as the guest of Sir Richard Head before embarking for France on the 23rd December 1688 when he finally left England — Map (db m147191) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Rochester — Justice Tree
The iron plate outside the footpath marks the spot where stood the last "Justice Tree" in the county. Pie Powder courts were held here. — Map (db m147186) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Rochester — Restoration House
Restoration House Built in 1587. It is said that Charles II stayed here on the night of 28th May 1660 at his Restoration. The "Satis House" of "Great Expectations" — Map (db m147193) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Rochester — Site of the Saxon Cathedral
Site of the Saxon cathedral built by Ethelbert King of Kent AD 604. The line of the apse is marked inside the cathedral. — Map (db m147189) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Ford City — The Old Brick Presbyterian Church1820
Old Brick Church began in 1820 as the Mt. Pleasant Cumberland Presbyterian Church and met in a frame building which burned in 1824. The present building has undergone few changes since its construction in 1828 when the congregation was officially . . . — Map (db m147370) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Flomaton — The Old Church Bell
In 1878, Rev. James Lazaruth Bryars planted First Baptist Church in the community that would eventually come to be known as Flomaton. The bell was in the original wooden church building located on Palafox Street, and it was moved to the current . . . — Map (db m146902) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Hayneville — In Memory of Jonathan Myrick DanielsVMI Class of 1961
Johnathan Daniels was murdered near this spot, then Cash's Store, on August 20, 1965.

He gave his life in the fight for integration of the churches and universal voter registration.

At the time, he was a divinity student at . . . — Map (db m147604) HM

Alabama (Lowndes County), Hayneville — Varner's Cash Store
On August 20, 1965, Jonathan Myrick Daniels, a 26-year-old Episcopal seminarian from Keene, New Hampshire, was shot dead at point blank range here. He was a graduate of Virginia Military Institute and was attending Episcopal Theological School, . . . — Map (db m147601) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Eight Mile — "Little Church in the Pines"Musuem at Chickasabogue Park
The building on this site has been called many names and served many functions in its long life. Originally known as the "Methodist-Episcopalian Church" and later as the "Little Church in the Pines," the structure was located a few miles from here . . . — Map (db m146901) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The UNESCO Slave Route: Resistance, Liberty, Heritage / Honoring The Memory Of The Ancestors
{Side 1} The UNESCO Slave Route: Resistance, Liberty, Heritage Launched in 1994, the international and inter-regional project ‘The Slave Route: Resistance, Liberty, Heritage’ addresses the history of the slave trade and slavery . . . — Map (db m147638) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Maxwell Air Force Base and the Air University
The Air Force presence in Montgomery, Alabama began in April 1918 with the establishment of the U.S. Army Air Service's Aircraft and Engine Repair Depot #3 at the same site as the earlier Wright Brothers' flying school. On November 8, 1922, the . . . — Map (db m146981) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Maxwell Air Force Base/Air University(Located to West off Bell Street)
In 1910, Wilbur and Orville Wright opened a flying school on the Kohn plantation west of Montgomery where for three months they trained aviators and made history with the first night flight. Today, Maxwell AFB, home of the Air University, the Air . . . — Map (db m146978) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Native Americans
Several cultures have occupied this region including Woodland, Mississippian and, later, Muskogeans. Called "Creeks" by Europeans, the latter made their homes along banks of streams. A loose confederation of tribes, Creeks developed a . . . — Map (db m146977) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Wright Brothers Flying School
On December 17, 1903, Orville and Wilbur Wright made the first controlled, powered, and sustained heavier-than-air human flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Over the next seven years, the brothers continued to develop their flying machine and had . . . — Map (db m146980) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 935 Hearst Avenue
No pivotal battles that changed the course of history were fought here. Nary a famous person was ever born or raised, lived, slept, dined, or even gave a glancing look at this place. This location did not provide a monumental role in the . . . — Map (db m147452) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Jonathan Davis
On December 19, 1854 just North of Georgetown above Cherokee Bar on Ruck-a-Chuky a gunfight occurred that makes the OK Corral look weak. The Sydney Ducky Gang consisting of 5 Australians, 4 Mexicans,2 Britons, 2 Americans and a Frenchman had . . . — Map (db m146755) HM
California (Fresno County), Dunlap — 33 — Dunlap CemeteryBaker's Mountain
Arriving in Fresno County in 1870, Sands Baker purchased a quarter section of land at the base of what became Baker's Mountain. Baker continually added to this tract until he had about 2000 acres. Baker was prominent in the mountain community. . . . — Map (db m147608) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale
This memorial plaque placed in memory of Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale First Superintendent of Indian Affairs in California appointed by President Millard Fillmore Sanctioned by the United States government the Tejon Indian . . . — Map (db m147357) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Crescenta-Montrose — The Bell of La Crescenta Elementary School
Dominated by a shingled belfry and resonant bell, the first schoolhouse in the Crescenta-Cañada Valley was erected on this site in 1888. Rehung in 1914, this bell summoned children to school until it was dismantled in 1948, when it began . . . — Map (db m147003) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Electric Power PoleCity of Los Angeles
On this corner, March 30, 1916, was erected the first pole of the municipal electric distribution system of the City of Los Angeles. This plaque placed February 5, 1952, by the Department of Water and Power as a part of the commemoration . . . — Map (db m147324) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 972 — Naval and Marine Corps Reserve CenterLos Angeles
Designed as the largest enclosed structure without columns in the world by noted California architects Robert Clements & Associates, this Art Deco building, constructed between 1938 and 1941 by the WPA, is the largest and second-oldest Navy Reserve . . . — Map (db m147662) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Rancho Rosa CastillaSite of California State University Los Angeles — Historical Marker —
On this site in 1776 Franciscan missionaries built one of 36 original California adobes. — Map (db m146916) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — World Trade Center Monument
This monument that now stands in front of you is a tribute to the Firefighters who lost their lives at the World Trade Center, on September 11, 2001. This monument once stood as a major portion of the vertical structural support for the center's . . . — Map (db m147659) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 106 — York Junction
Intersection of York & Figueroa York Junction is the name given to the intersection of York Boulevard and North Figueroa Street and the area surrounding it. The name "York Junction" is derived from a streetcar line stop, which . . . — Map (db m146881) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Harden GatehousePortuguese Point
Edward Walker Harden married Ruth Isabel Vanderlip in 1903, in Chicago. They built the gatehouse, as it stands today, in 1926. Gordon Kaufmann was the architect, and the Olmsted Brothers designed the landscaping. This imposing structure is of . . . — Map (db m147719) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Catalina Channel
The Catalina Channel, about 25 miles wide and close to 500 fathoms deep (about 3,000 feet), separates Santa Catalina Island from the mainland. This part of the Pacific Ocean was first visited by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542, sailing under the . . . — Map (db m147299) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Royal Palms County BeachWhite Point
Royal Palms County Beach was originally developed as the Royal Palms Recreation Center by Roman Sepulveda from his share of the original Rancho Palos Verdes land grant. In 1908, Sepulveda installed an outdoor, terrazo dance floor at the foot . . . — Map (db m147298) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Santa Catalina Island
About 25 miles west of here, across the channel, lies Santa Catalina Island, which can be seen distinctly on a clear day. Santa Catalina Island, originally named San Salvador by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542, was later visited . . . — Map (db m147341) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — White Point Fountain
White Point fountain is a relic of the one-time White Point Sulphur Springs spa complex which was built on the shore below the cliff. Made of concrete, it stood at the center of the hot springs building complex near the sea wall and outdoor . . . — Map (db m147327) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — White Point Nike Missile Site
The large concrete bunker, seen across the street, was the White Point Nike Site, built in the early 1950's. It was one of many such sites ringing the Los Angeles basin manned by National Guard units. Originally a site for the . . . — Map (db m147323) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Torrance — Jared Sidney Torrance1852 - 1921
Founder of the city of Torrance, known as Sidney to his many friends, he was a Southern California corporate and civic leader. At the age of 59, he purchased Rancho Dominguez grazing lands and created a city in which industry, commerce and . . . — Map (db m147394) HM
California (Modoc County), Canby — L-9 — Lassen Trail - Pit River
"We now call this cr. a river, but we do not know what it is. We begin to hear ... that we are near the Sacramento Valley" - Elijah Preston Howell, Sep 8, 1849 — Map (db m147426) HM
California (Modoc County), Davis Creek — A-33 — Applegate Trail - Davis Creek
... Decent [sic] to the lake ... Night brought us to the end of the lake ... We laid up on a mountain brook where the roads forked ... One branch going to Oregon, the other to California." Alonzo Delano, August 28, 1849 — Map (db m147424) HM
California (Modoc County), Davis Creek — A-31 — Applegate Trail - Descent to Lassen Creek
"Four miles to a beautiful little stream of pure cold water coming from the mountains to our left and emptying into Goose Lake ... Camped there ...Found plenty of ripe plums on the neighboring mountain sides." - Andrew Murphy, Sep 23, 1849 — Map (db m147338) HM
California (Modoc County), Fort Bidwell — A-28A — Applegate Trail - Fandango Pass Ascent
"We arrived at the foot of the summit ridge, the top of which lay one mile distant ... Up we ascended, slowly but surely, by the toilsome climbing of the teams and by lifting of the members. ... at the wheels." - William Swain, Oct 11, 1849 — Map (db m147406) HM
California (Modoc County), Fort Bidwell — A-28B — Applegate Trail - Fandango Pass Descent
"Passing over the summit, which is a very narrow ridge, a broad,deep valley ... presented itself to our view, far below us ... We immediately descended the mountain, which on this side, is fearfully steep" - Amos Batchelder, Sep 25, 1849 — Map (db m147407) HM
California (Modoc County), Newell — A-44 — Applegate Trail - Bloody Point
"Over divide to Tule Lake, on Lost River, passed in sight of Bloody Point where a train of emigrants were cut off last year. This afternoon Geo. W. Ebey killed a brant on the lake. Oh, so good to eat." - James Henry Bascomb Royal, Oct 19, 1853. — Map (db m147563) HM
California (Modoc County), Newell — BC-1 — Burnett Cutoff - At Klamath [Tule] Lake
"We followed the Applegate Route to Klamath Lake [Tule Lake], where we left that road and took a southern direction. Thomas McKay, myself, and five others ... Went on in advance of the wagons to discover the best route" - Peter Burnett, Oct 1848 — Map (db m147564) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Beach — 6 — Laguna Beach Art Museum
The Laguna Beach Art Association, started by Edgar Payne, was a natural development of the art colony established about 1900. The first gallery was in Old Town Hall. The permanent gallery, constructed on this site in 1929, houses a collection of . . . — Map (db m146972) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 780 — First Transcontinental Railroad Groundbreaking Site
First Transcontinental Railroad Groundbreaking Site At this location on January 8, 1863, Governor Stanford surrounded by politicians and locals, announced the start of the United States’ first transcontinental railroad. You are standing at . . . — Map (db m146872) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Ocean Beach Municipal PierEstablished 1966
Originally named San Diego Fishing Pier, the Ocean Beach Municipal Pier was built in 1966. The OB Pier is the longest concrete pier on the west coast, extending 1,971 feet with a T-shape platform at the end of the pier adding 360 feet to the south . . . — Map (db m147233) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — “World’s Safest Beach”Carpinteria
The moniker "World's Safest Beach” was initially used in the 1920's to attract visitors to Carpinteria's pristine beaches, made "safe” by the sheltering Channel Islands. It later came to be embraced by the local community as an . . . — Map (db m147472) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 2 — Heath Adobe
One of Carpinteria Valley's earliest American settlers, Russel Heath, built a two-story adobe home here in 1858. Heath served as Santa Barbara's district attorney, first elected sheriff, and California state legislator. Heath planted his original . . . — Map (db m147603) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 535 — La Carpinteria1769
The Chumash Indian Village of "Mishopshnow," discovered by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespi of the Gaspar de Portola expedition named it "San Roque," August 17, 1769. Portola's . . . — Map (db m147308) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Myron HuntArchitect — 1868-1952 —
Myron Hunt was one of the leading architects involved in the development of regional architecture for Southern California. The classical Mediterranean look of most of the important public buildings and large residential estates has . . . — Map (db m147419) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Capitola — Historic Lawn Way Cottages
The early land surrounding Capitola first saw sea side lagoons and meadows of colorful wild flowers, eucalyptus trees and butterflies with Ohlone Indians fishing in Soquel Creek to glowing barely fields and a potato warehouse in 1850.

The . . . — Map (db m147263) HM

California (Ventura County), Camarillo — El Camino Real BellCamarillo Ranch
In 1769 the "El Camino Real - The King's Highway” was begun by the Franciscans and lead by Fr. Junipero Serra. Missions were situated in areas where large populations of Indians lived and where soil was fertile enough to sustain a . . . — Map (db m146877) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — 16 — American Beet Sugar Factory
The American Beet Sugar Factory was built on a 100-acre site between 5th Street and Wooley Road in 1898 at a cost of $2,000,000 by sugar industrialists Henry, James, Robert and Benjamin Oxnard. It was the second largest sugar beet factory in the . . . — Map (db m146639) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — 9 — Cesar E. ChavezChildhood Home Site
Cesar E. Chavez was born in Yuma, Arizona, on March 31, 1927. His parents Librado and Juana Chavez came to Oxnard to work in the walnut orchards in 1938, 1939 and 1940. During their 1939 stay the family lived in a storage building at this . . . — Map (db m146945) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — 165 — The Maulhardt Winery
Built in the 1870's by Gottfried Maulhardt who was on the building committee for the Santa Clara Chapel along with his brothers Jacob and Anton plus Dominick McGrath, Thomas Cloyne & Christian Borchard. Gottfried grew 250 vines of the . . . — Map (db m146638) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 32 — Peirano Market
Built in 1877 for merchant Alex Gandolfo and later owned by the Peirano family for 96 years, this building was in continuous use as a grocery store until 1986, which marked the retirement of Nick Peirano. Restored in 1998 by KL Associates . . . — Map (db m147594) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A7 — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
American light infantry and cavalry under General William Maxwell encountered advance guard of British and Hessian troops under Generals Howe, Cornwallis and Knyphausen in this vicinity September 3, 1777. American troops were expert marksmen drafted . . . — Map (db m147686) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 15 — The Rock on Brightwood AvenueBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
Across Quackenbos Street is Emory United Methodist Church. Named to honor Bishop John Emory of Maryland (1789-1835), the congregation dates from 1832. From the beginning, Emory welcomed all races but, like most Washington churches then, . . . — Map (db m147739) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Dedicated to the Memory
Dedicated to the memory of those unknown who were enslaved and buried in the Archdiocese of Washington The souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them Wisdom 3:1 [Additional sign to . . . — Map (db m147417) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Duvall Foundry1050-30th Street, N.W.
Built between 1856 and 1866 as a machine shop by William T. Duvall, the Foundry is typical of commercial structures of that period. Duvall purchased the land from Thomas Beall, a grandson of Ninian Beall who was one of Georgetown's first settlers . . . — Map (db m147329) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — Flight Path
Look up, and every few seconds you'll see a plane taking off or landing from Washington Reagan National Airport, as they have since the 1940s. Due to its shorter runway, the airport is limited to smaller jet planes like 737s and 757s. . . . — Map (db m146987) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), North Cleveland Park — 19 — Community Building BlocksTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
Security and style came to Tenleytown in 1900, when Engine House No. 20 opened across from Wisconsin Avenue. No longer would fire fighters have to come all the way from Georgetown to extinguish blazes in Tenleytown's wood-frame houses. Opened . . . — Map (db m147297) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Rock Creek Park — Herring HighwayRock Creek Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
This may look like a natural arrangement of rocks but it is really a feat of engineering. Rocks are precisely placed to build a series of boulder step pools that raise the water level making it possible for fish to swim over an active sewer line. . . . — Map (db m147381) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Rock Creek Park — Herring HighwayRock Creek Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Boulder step pools dot this stretch of creek for an important reason. They were created to provide an essential passageway for migratory fish. Many sewer lines crisscross Rock Creek. Once buried, the pipes have been exposed due to high volumes of . . . — Map (db m147418) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest Waterfront — Thurgood Marshall
"The legal-system can force open doors, and sometimes even knock down walls, but it cannot build bridges. That job belongs to you and me. The country can't do it. Afro and white, rich and poor, educated and illiterate, our fates are bound . . . — Map (db m147019) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-202 — Micanopy, Florida
A Timucua Indian village of the Potano tribe was located near here when the early Spanish Explorer Hernando De Soto led his expedition through the area in 1539. Botanist William Bartram visited Cuscawilla village nearby in 1774. The first permanent . . . — Map (db m146838) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-75 — William Bartram(1739-1823)
The great Quaker naturalist of Philadelphia made a long journey through the southeastern states in the 1770's collecting botanical specimens. In May, 1774, he visited the Seminole Chief, Cowkeeper, at the Indian village of Cuscowilla located near . . . — Map (db m146839) HM
Florida (Charlotte County), Punta Gorda — Punta Gorda Army Air Field World War II
In May 1942, the Army Air Corps chose this site for the Punta Gorda Army Air Field (PGAAF). Construction began that October at a project cost of $700,000. The Army Air Corps activated PGAAF on December 11, 1943 with a mission to train pilots . . . — Map (db m146927) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Ortega's Most Famous Resident
Daniel McGirtt loved prosperously on this island (sometimes surreptitiously) during and immediately after the American Revolution. Originally from South Carolina he first sided with the colonists until he was betrayed by a fellow officer who coveted . . . — Map (db m147688) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Island of Ortega
Pre-European – Native Americans: Late Archaic, Timucuan, and Seminole Tribes. 1770-1775 – Abraham Jones was granted 2000 acres, then known as Maxton’s Creek Island, by King George III of England. He built a home and several small . . . — Map (db m147337) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — F-100 — Christ Church
Erected in 1832, this is the oldest church building in Florida still standing on its original site. Tradition ascribes the design of this Episcopal Church to Sir Christopher Wren. Constructed of locally made brick, it was used by Federal forces . . . — Map (db m147171) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-152 — The Tallahassee Democrat
Side 1 Founded as The Weekly True Democrat by John G. Collins, March 3, 1905. Milton A. Smith purchased the newspaper in 1908. On April 6, 1915, he made it "The Daily Democrat." Lloyd C. Griscom, became owner in 1929. It was purchased by . . . — Map (db m146837) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — 1914 Carnegie LibraryPalmetto Historical Park
Building Palmetto’s Carnegie Library, the first real library in Manatee County was a collaboration: Andrew Carnegie’s foundation contributed $10,000, the City supplied $1000 and the land, and the Ladies’ Library Association provided all the . . . — Map (db m146785) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — Cypress House Military MuseumPalmetto Historical Park
The Cyprus House Military Museum opened the public on July 3, 2004, and is the most recent addition to the Palmetto Historical Park. This structure was originally located on Longboat Key in the mid 30’s and was one of the several cypress cottages . . . — Map (db m146749) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — Heritage ChapelPalmetto Historical Park
Heritage Chapel is the only building in the Palmetto Historical Park that is not historic. After searching for an original chapel, it was decided in 1999 to construct a new building approximately the standard size of the original churches in . . . — Map (db m146751) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — Heritage Station Post Office 1880Palmetto Historical Park
Heritage Station is Palmetto’s first free-standing post office. It was built for Mrs. Mary Nettles, Palmetto’s 2nd and 4th Postmaster, who served 1880-1889 and again 1893-1897. During her service and through the turn of the century, mail destined . . . — Map (db m146753) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — In Memory Of All Veterans
Call out our name as the years go by Remember us and we shall never die (front) A nation that honors its veterans is a nation dedicated to the preservation of freedom won by the sacrifice of life itself. These emblems . . . — Map (db m146746) WM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — Sugar KettlePalmetto Historical Park
The sphere-shaped sugar kettle was used in the late 18th and 19th centuries in the production of sugar. First, sugar cane was cut down and crushed between rollers to extract the cane juice. The juice was heated, clarified, and evaporated for . . . — Map (db m146788) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — T.P. Winter Building
: This facility was built during World War II by Palmetto High School student members of the Future Farmers of America and their faculty advisor Mr. T.P. Winter. Construction began in December 1943 and was completed in May . . . — Map (db m146896) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — The Cottage MuseumCirca 1900 — Palmetto Historical Park —
The Cottage Museum, a typical 1900 family home, has been refurbished with the help of families who lived there. Josephine Harrison and the members of the Heritage Doll Club were actively involved in establishing the Cottage Museum. The . . . — Map (db m146782) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — The Palmetto Armory
The Palmetto Armory has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior October 2012 — Map (db m146898) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — The Schoolhouse(Kindergarten Building 1920) — Palmetto Historical Park —
This kindergarten building was moved onto the Palmetto Elementary School property in 1936. It would serve for many years as Palmetto’s first public kindergarten. Hazel Lewis was the first teacher to serve there. The building stood on the east . . . — Map (db m146754) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — Woman’s Club of Palmetto
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m146903) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Blanton — F-1077 — Chipco Township
The former town of Chipco was located here, less than six miles west of the former site of Fort Dade #2, built in 1849 during the Seminole War era. The town rose to prominence after the Civil War as an economic center. It was named in honor of Chief . . . — Map (db m146964) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — F-1041 — Jack Russell Memorial Stadium
Jack Russell was a local businessman, city commissioner, chairman of the Clearwater baseball committee, and former major league baseball pitcher integral in the construction of a new stadium in the City of Clearwater. Russell advocated for the . . . — Map (db m146966) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Safety Harbor Historical Site: Lover's Oak
Lover's Oak is a grand live oak tree believed to be more than 200 years old. This tree was a favorite meeting place for many of Safety Harbor's young people and picnic groups from the 1890s to the 1950s. This stately oak tree once had a large lower . . . — Map (db m146976) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — PCHC-017 — Surveyor's Lake Schoolhouse
Polk County School Board Surveyor's Lake One-Room Schoolhouse District No. 26 1928-1936 — Map (db m146357) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Bostwick — Billy Graham
William (Billy) Franklin Graham preached his first sermon on Easter Sunday night, March 28, 1947 at the Bostwick Baptist Church near Palatka, Florida. Graham was born in Charlotte, North Carolina on November 17, 1918. He was saved in a Mordecal Ham . . . — Map (db m146961) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Bostwick — The Bostwick School125-3 Tillman Street
Built in 1921, was in continued use until 1977 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. The first floor had four rooms and was used for grades 1 through 8 with two . . . — Map (db m146963) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — “Rogana” – Dora FosterCircus Ring of Fame
Dora Foster famously known all over the world as the “Baroness of Balance” who with her unique sword balancing act on a high swaying ladder amazed circus and variety audiences across all continents. Also known as one of The Famous . . . — Map (db m147161) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Albert RixCircus Ring Of Fame
Trained from age 13 at Karl Hagenbeck’s renowned Stellingen Zoo, Albert Rix became one of the World’s foremost authorities on the breeding, care and training of bears. He was featured for many years on Ringling Bros., beginning in 1950 when he . . . — Map (db m147051) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Alberto ZoppeCircus Ring of Fame
Famed as the performer for whose services John Ringling North traded an elephant, he is the fabled patriarch of a family whose circus roots go back 160 years in Italy. His classic bareback equestrian act was featured in C.B. DeMille’s “The . . . — Map (db m147566) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Alfredo CodonaCircus Ring of Fame
A Ringling Bros. superstar of the 1920s, he was undisputed “King of the Flying Trapeze.” At a time when few had attempted it and even fewer had succeeded, he made the difficult triple back somersault a highlight of every performance, . . . — Map (db m147667) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Allan C. HillCircus Ring Of Fame
His love of the circus came from his parents, both of whom were circus people. He began his career selling peanuts, popcorn and cotton candy under the big top and rose to become one of the youngest showmen ever to own a large show, Allan C. . . . — Map (db m147040) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Allen BloomCircus Ring Of Fame
Allen Bloom worked with Irvin Feld beginning in the 1950’s as his partner. During the birth of Rock and Roll prior to Feld’s ownership of Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus, he was Vice President from 1967-95 responsible for marketing and . . . — Map (db m147143) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Antoinette ConcelloCircus Ring Of Fame
Known as the “Queen of the Flying Trapeze,” she was the second woman to perform the difficult triple somersault. For many years she was the star female aerialist with the “Flying Concellos” who were considered to be one of . . . — Map (db m147230) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Barry LubinCircus Ring of Fame
Among modern-day circus clowns, he ranks in the very top echelon. As “Grandma,” an impish, red-attired solo clown, he has bestowed his feel-good merriment on 25 years of Big Apple Circus audiences and elevated physical comedy to a new . . . — Map (db m147421) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Bello NockCircus Ring Of Fame
Seventh generation member of one of the circus world’s royal families, his upswept red hair and daredevil aerial high jinks set him apart as one of the preeminent clowns in recent history. His mastery of such apparatus as the swaypole, highwire, . . . — Map (db m147510) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Captain William HeyerCircus Ring Of Fame
As a rider and trainer of high school horses, he had no peer. A former Dutch Cavalryman, he came to the U.S. in 1936 to join Ringling Bros. where, his steed, Starless Night, he set new standards for presentation of the classic Spanish riding . . . — Map (db m147047) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Cecil B. DeMilleCircus Ring of Fame
Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, the live entertainment circus spectacular, was brought to the big screen by movie director Cecil B. DeMille in “The Greatest Show on Earth.” The winner of the 1952 Academy Award for Best Picture, the . . . — Map (db m147378) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Cedric WalkerCircus Ring Of Fame
Creator of the world-renowned Universoul Circus, Cedric Walker is a preeminent pioneering force in urban influenced circus arts, theater and new generation, cutting edge productions. His skill, insight, diversity and veracity have earned him his . . . — Map (db m147136) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Charles and Mathias CoronasCircus Ring of Fame
Legendary highwire walkers who escaped war-ravaged Czechoslovakia during World War II and became some of the most innovative, daring and influential performers of the post-World War II period. Known for their imaginative, original routines they . . . — Map (db m147372) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Charles Robert Sidlow“Chucko” The All American Clown — The Circus Ring Of Fame —
As graduate and teacher of its famed Clown College, Chucko was named “The youngest boss clown in history” by RBBB, touring North America and Japan. After appearing for ten years in various capacities in Japan, he returned to Sarasota . . . — Map (db m147114) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Charles SchlarbaumCircus Ring of Fame
Few in American circus history have led as many circus bands in as many performances. Born into a musical family with ties to the circus, it came as no surprise in 1958 when he and his trumpet joined the Cristiani Bros. Circus Band. Three years . . . — Map (db m147446) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Charly BaumannCircus Ring of Fame
In the Post-World War II era he was one of the world’s preeminent animal trainers. For 19 years Ringling audiences were awed by the beauty of his superb Royal Bengal Tiger Act which included one of the most difficult of all circus feats in . . . — Map (db m147257) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Cliff VargasCircus Ring of Fame
His hands-on managerial style and tireless work ethic helped him build Circus Vargas into one of the great circuses of the modern era. Starting from scratch with three trucks and eight animals, by the time of his untimely death 20 years later the . . . — Map (db m147570) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Clyde BeattyCircus Ring Of Fame
Clyde Beatty, master trainer of wild animals presented the largest group of jungle beasts ever seen in the circus – 40 lions and tigers in one cage. His spectacular showmanship won him center ring stardom with Ringling and other major . . . — Map (db m147052) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Con ColleanoCircus Ring of Fame
Known as the “Wizard of the Silver Thread,” his remarkable acrobatics were unmatched by any other low wire performer and made him one of the premier stars of the Ringling Bros. shows of the 1920s – 1940s. His singular . . . — Map (db m147220) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Count NicholasAmerica’s Most Celebrated Ringmaster — Circus Ring of Fame —
“Ladies and Gentlemen! Boys and Girls! Children of All Ages! Welcome!” This grand greeting was heard worldwide during Count’s illustrious 50 years in show business. Born in Greece, he traveled to America as a boy. In 1927, at . . . — Map (db m147331) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Count Roberto de VasconcellosViconde Ponte de Barca — Circus Ring of Fame —
Born of Portuguese nobility, experts acclaimed him to be the foremost exponent of classical horsemanship. His career evolved in the great circuses, music halls and theaters on three continents and culminated with the 1963-4 tour by Ringling in . . . — Map (db m147243) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — CuccioloCircus Ring of Fame
He was one of the few little persons to gain stardom as a performer. Born Pasqualino Rizzi, he came to the U.S. from Italy in 1948 with the Zoppe Bareback Equestrian Riders to join Ringling Bros. and Barnum Bailey Circus. Among his notable . . . — Map (db m147182) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — D.R. and Isla MillerCircus Ring of Fame
Their contribution to the preservation of the traditional circus is enormous over six decades. They launched their tented shows to towns and cities throughout the nation, compiling the longest record of continual ownership in the annals of the . . . — Map (db m147619) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Dan RiceCircus Ring Of Fame
He was the first clown in the history of the American Circus to gain nationwide fame. His talents were unmatched: animal trainer, equestrian, writer and singer of comical songs, owner or manager of circuses bearing his name. He appeared without . . . — Map (db m147042) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Dieter TassoCircus Ring Of Fame
A juggler who for six decades has astounded audiences with his trademark routine in which, while mounted on a slackwire, he uses his foot to toss as many as ten pairs of cups and saucers, plus spoon, teapot, and sugar cube, into a stack atop his . . . — Map (db m147509) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Dime Wilson FamilyCircus Ring Of Fame
He clowned for a lifetime while helping raise a half-dozen future circus stars. Paired with his wife, Connie, who was one of the first performing female clowns, the couple amused audiences on more than 30 shows over half a century while also . . . — Map (db m147491) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Dolly JacobsCircus Ring Of Fame
The premier aerial performer of the 1980s and 1990s, her spectacular skills on the Roman Rings have earned her the title, “Queen of the Air.” The daughter of clown, Lou Jacobs, she joined Ringling Bros. as a teenager and became a solo . . . — Map (db m147062) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Dr. J.Y. HendersonCircus Ring of Fame
For over 40 years he was veterinarian of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus looking after the world’s largest traveling menagerie. He is recognized as an outstanding authority on the care and feeding of circus animals. Charley’s . . . — Map (db m147679) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Elly ArdeltyThe Circus Ring Of Fame
Her feats on the high trapeze have never been duplicated by a female performer. Her act was climaxed by standing on her head while the trapeze swung in a 60 foot arc with no safety net. A native of Russia she began her career as a ballet dancer . . . — Map (db m147026) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Emmitt KellyCircus Ring of Fame
Emmett Kelly, the most famous clown of his time, will always be remembered as the creator of “Weary Willie” a clown whose sad face and original antics delighted circus audiences here and abroad. Thanks to Kelly’s rare gift for . . . — Map (db m147199) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Fay AlexanderCircus Ring of Fame
Recognized as one of the most accomplished artists of the flying trapeze. Performed with the “Flying Concellos” with Ringling and later formed the “Flying Alexanders.” His artistry has been seen in the movie . . . — Map (db m147623) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Felix AdlerCircus Ring Of Fame
He is remembered as the clown who in grotesque costume and makeup, paraded around the circus tent with a small trained pig. Their antics were classic examples of so-called clown gags. Adler became so popular that he was called “King of the . . . — Map (db m147071) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Floyd R. KingCircus Ring Of Fame
In a 60-year career that began during the circus’s Golden Age and extended into the 1970s, he was one of the great circus men of his time. He started as a candy butcher and worked as an agent before launching his own circus with brother Howard in . . . — Map (db m147070) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Francis Brunn Lottie BrunnCircus Ring Of Fame
A brother and sister who became two of the greatest of all jugglers. He is renowned for his incredible speed, for using his entire body to direct the movement of objects and for being the first ever to juggle ten rings at a time. In his . . . — Map (db m147067) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Franz Czeisler TihanyCircus Ring of Fame
Born in 1916 Hungary, he became one of the great impresarios of our time. In 1955, he and his wife Ilona, created Circus Tihany Spectacular, Latin America’s largest traveling circus. In a half-century of touring South and Central America and . . . — Map (db m147612) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Franz UnusCircus Ring of Fame
Franz Unus, an equilibrist of unequaled skill. Originated and perfected the spectacular one-finger stand in which he balanced his body on his right index finger atop a large electric light bulb. He was a center ring star with Ringling for 13 . . . — Map (db m147217) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Fred and Ella BradnaCircus Ring Of Fame
As newlyweds, they joined the great Barnum & Bailey Circus, launching careers in which both would attain super stardom. The quintessential equestrian director who became the model for nearly every ringmaster, he directed the daily performances of . . . — Map (db m147207) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Fred D. Pfening, Jr.The Circus Ring of Fame
Author, journalist, historian, biographer and lover of all things circus. Friend to trouper and fan alike, his fascination with the circus began as a child and consumed his life for the next seventy-five years, including forty-nine as editor and . . . — Map (db m147350) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Gee Gee EngesserCircus Ring of Fame
Over seven decades she thrilled audiences with her remarkable riding skills, her outstanding animal presentations and her theatrical productions. First gaining fame at 18 on Cole Bros. Following World War II, she became one of a very few to ever . . . — Map (db m147550) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — George ScottScott’s Unrideable Mule — The Circus Ring of Fame —
A one-of-a-kind act that his never been duplicated and the most recognized comedy act in circus history, George and his partner the mule Nebraska performed over 25 years together. George, along with his beloved wife Catherine and family came to . . . — Map (db m147269) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Gunther Gebel-WilliamsCircus Ring Of Fame
The most versatile and admired animal trainer in Circus History. As a youth Circus Williams in his native Germany he demonstrated a rare rapport with animals especially tigers, elephants and horses. After becoming Europe’s leading circus . . . — Map (db m147039) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Guy LaliberteCircus Ring Of Fame
: Renowned artist, entrepreneur, and visionary, Guy Laliberte founded Cirque Du Soleil in 1984. To this day, he is the creative guide behind some 50 awe-inspiring shows that have pushed the boundaries of human performance above and beyond what . . . — Map (db m147083) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — H.S.H. Prince Rainier III of MonacoCircus Ring of Fame
His life-long enthusiasm for the patronage of the circus arts culminated in his founding of the International Circus Festival in Monte Carlo. Unsurpassed in its grandeur, this annual event has become the world’s largest and most prestigious . . . — Map (db m147339) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Hamid FamilyGeorge A. Hamid, Sr., George A. Hamid Jr., James M. Hamid Sr., James M. Hamid Jr. — Circus Ring of Fame —
Hailing from Broumana, Lebanon, George, Sr., an acrobat, arrived in America in 1908 with Buffalo Bill Wild West and was taught to read and write English by Annie Oakley. He opened his first circus at age 17. This was the first circus in the . . . — Map (db m147301) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Hans WinnCircus Ring of Fame
For seven decades, he has performed in and produced some of the world’s most exciting thrill acts. While he is widely known for the motorcycle incline, the Winn repertoire has included more than a dozen sensational aerial and ground acts, all of . . . — Map (db m147428) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Harold AlzanaCircus Ring of Fame
On a thin sliver of wire, 60 feet above the ground he performed more near-suicidal feats than any other wire walker in circus history. With the Ringling Show he danced, skipped rope, and walked where angels fear to tread, flirting with death twice . . . — Map (db m147685) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Henry Ringling NorthCircus Ring Of Fame
Along with his brother, Ring of Fame inductee John Ringling North, he was co-owner of the RBBB Show from 1936-1967, overseeing much of the management of the circus, and acted as consultant to the show after its sale to the Felds. He deferred the . . . — Map (db m147162) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Hubert CastleThe Circus Ring Of Fame
His dazzling performance on the tightwire won him center-ring stardom with “The Greatest Show On Earth.” He began his act impersonating a drunken man who, after staggering and stumbling on the wire, accomplished feats which only a . . . — Map (db m147031) HM

838 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 638
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 7, 2020