Has been designated a
National Natural Landmark
This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the Nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of the environment. — — Map (db m94912)
Established May 31, 1923
Through effort of Stephen T. Mather and friends
Occupied in 1863 by Dr. James M. Whitmore, who, with Robert McIntyre, was killed 4 miles S.E. Of here January 3, 1866 by Navajo and Piute . . . — — Map (db m131296) HM
Segments of centuries-old Indian trails between St. George and Long Valley were used by Mormon pioneers in 1864 to settle Long Valley and its resettlement in 1871 following Indian conflicts. The trail
divided at the area of this marker; the . . . — — Map (db m131299) HM
Text from: Historical Markers with The Arizona Department of Transportation right of way. Prepared by: Roadside Development Section April 1, 1997
Fatigued by a thirty mile ride, the padres picked their way down the rocky north slope . . . — — Map (db m39917) HM
In desperate search for a crossing of the Colorado River before the wild storms of winter might further weaken their starving bodies, Fathers Dominguez and Escalante led their expedition past this point on October 26, 1776.
Five days were spent . . . — — Map (db m94896) HM
From 1872 to 1929
principal route of travel
across the Colorado River
to Utah Settlements
First crossing made at the mouth of Paria Creek in 1864 by Jacob Hamblin. Regular ferry established by John Doyle Lee in 1872. Purchased by . . . — — Map (db m41998) HM
Because of long, deep canyons, Lees Ferry was the best crossing point along 500 miles (800 km) of the Colorado River.
In 1873, Mormon Church members opened a wagon road from Kanab, Utah, and built a ferryboat here. John D. Lee was the first . . . — — Map (db m41999) HM
John D. Lee settled here in Dec. 1872 and established ferry service thirteen months later. After her husband's death, Warren M. Johnson ran the oar-driven ferry for Emma Lee, 1875 to 1879, when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . . . — — Map (db m41997) HM
Northern gateway to Arizona for 54 years - from 1873 to 1927 - is located six miles upstream from this bridge.
This monument erected to the founder
John Doyle Lee
who, with superhuman effort and in the face of almost insurmountable . . . — — Map (db m94892) HM
A tourist lodge and trading post have operated near this site since 1929. Without them, travel through this isolated region would have been far more difficult. Marble Canyon Lodge was already in operation when the historic Navajo Bridge was . . . — — Map (db m94893) HM
There are three markers on this end of the Navajo Bridge.(Marker on left:)
National Historical Civil
Designated by the American Society of Civil Engineers . . . — — Map (db m94887) HM
This Erection Toggle Screw was used in the construction of the historic Navajo Bridge to maintain bridge vertical elevations and as a means of lowering bridge sections in place.
[Plaque Mounted on Bridge]:
State of Arizona
Navajo . . . — — Map (db m38469) HM
Welcome to Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, an isolated and spectacular landscape. Tucked away in north-central Arizona, this Monument is a wonderland of geologic formations and rugged terrain that supports a rich array of desert wildlife and . . . — — Map (db m94911) HM
Between 1876 and 1886, Hyrum Judd, under the direction of Lot Smith, supervised a Mormon Dairy one
mile northeast near Dairy Spring.
Beginning with a herd of 115 cows, large quantities of butter and cheese were produced. During the 1880s the . . . — — Map (db m35187) HM
This fountain is dedicated to the memory of our fellow employees who died October 8, 1997 in a plane crash near Montrose, Colorado.
Their names encircle the fountain just as the accomplishments of their careers and lives encircle us. . . . — — Map (db m40325) HM
Colorado River Storage Project
In recognition of the vision of the Colorado River Storage Project Act of 1956 and the significant contributions the act has made to the development of the Upper Colorado River Basin states, this plaque . . . — — Map (db m40350) HM
This is one of several concrete buckets that poured the concrete in Glen Canyon Dam. Each bucket held 24 tons (22 metric tons) of concrete and it took over 400,000 buckets to complete the dam. The first pour of concrete . . . — — Map (db m40342) HM
Within sight of this place the Franciscan priests Dominguez and Escalante and their ten companions experienced two of the most difficult challenges among many along the 1,800 miles of their epic journey from the Spanish presidio at Santa Fe, New . . . — — Map (db m40324) HM
The imprints were made by a one ton, twenty foot long, meat-eating dinosaur. The slab of sandstone came from a nearby side canyon.
When Dilophosaurus tracked through the silt 170 million years ago, this was a different landscape. Shallow streams . . . — — Map (db m40326) HM
A slightly larger, but reasonable replica of the 16 ft. pine rowboat in which Major John Wesley Powell first explored the canyons of the Colorado River in 1869. This craft was constructed by Walt Disney Productions and used in the river running . . . — — Map (db m40323) HM
Glen Canyon Bridge
Majestic Glen Canyon Bridge, 865 feet (264 meters) downriver from the dam, was the highest steel-arch bridge in the United States when completed.
The roadway is 700 feet (213 meters) above the surface of . . . — — Map (db m101903) HM
the First Lady
Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson
September 22, 1966
United States Department of the Interior
Stewart L. Udall, Secretary
Bureau of Reclamation
Floyd E. Dominy, Commissioner
[The following marker is inside the . . . — — Map (db m40370) HM
Glen Canyon Dam and other dams along the Colorado River provide critical water and power resources for millions of Americans in the Southwest. Recreation at the reservoirs is enjoyed by visitors from around the world.
This . . . — — Map (db m40344) HM
The eight small "buildings" on the upstream face of the dam contain equipment to operate the penstock gates. Each penstock is 15 feet (4.6 meters) in diameter and carries water to one of the turbine generators in the powerplant. — — Map (db m40349) HM
Since Navajo sandstone tends to fracture vertically, rock bolts lock rock slabs together, thereby minimizing rock falls into the canyon. These bolts extend from 45 to 75 feet (14-23 meters) into the canyon wall. They are assembled . . . — — Map (db m40346) HM
These tracks were made by a three-toed dinosaur known as a Saurischia therapod. It lived here about 170 million years ago during the Jurassic era when the environment was tropical. The footprints are raised natural sandstone castings of the . . . — — Map (db m40321) HM
This stainless steel turbine runner was removed in 1989 from the Bureau of Reclamation's Crystal Dam Powerplant in Montrose, Colorado. Weighing about 8½ metric tons, it is the rotating part of a Francis-type reaction turbine (named after its . . . — — Map (db m40371) HM
In the summer of 1857 former Navy Lt. Edward F. Beale was chosen by the Buchanan Administration to develop a wagon road from Fort Defiance, New Mexico Territory (now Arizona) to the Colorado River along the 35th parallel. Secretary of War John B. . . . — — Map (db m48347) HM
Carl Richards constructed this building in 1947 as his blacksmith shop. At the time, auto garage work was just a sideline. Richards is known as Sedona's first 'Fire Chief' because he kept the town's first fire truck in his garage. If there was a . . . — — Map (db m78744) HM
It took decades of searching for a perfect location before Marguerite Brunswig Staude's inspiring modern Catholic church could be built. The Chapel of the Holy Cross is an extraordinary architectural achievement, designed by architects Anshen & . . . — — Map (db m94811) HM
In 1946, Walter Jordan's orchard business had expanded. This building was constructed to house an apple grading machine and other fruit packing operations. Walter Jordan operated the orchards until 1973. — — Map (db m94848) HM
In 1876 or 1877, Jim Thompson built a log cabin here and began cultivating the old Indian Gardens where the Indians had grown corn and squash long before Oak Creek was known to white men. Thompson remained here at his Indian Gardens Ranch until his . . . — — Map (db m33203) HM
This home of Walter and Ruth Jordan began as a one-room cabin in 1931. It grew by three rooms in 1937, and grew in 1947 to its present size. It was opened as the Sedona Heritage Museum in 1998. It exemplifies early Sedona red rock construction. — — Map (db m94846) HM
Built circa 1938 by George Jordan as a co-op retail outlet for fruit produced and marketed by local orchard farmers, including George and his brother Walter. It was a key part in the early commercial development of Uptown Sedona and is a good . . . — — Map (db m40921) HM
Fruit growing played a significant role in the early Sedona economy. Over time, settlers constructed ditches, flumes, pipelines, reservoirs, and water wheels to provide irrigation to their gardens and eventually to their larger orchards.
Apples . . . — — Map (db m54228) HM
Harold and Christine Strohm built their Old-West style building and opened 'Museum, Et Cetera.' to showcase their collection of antiques. The Strohms named the building 'Pushmataha' after a Choctaw Chief. It means “He has won all the honors of . . . — — Map (db m94831) HM
This was originally Bob Bradshaw's photo shop and living quarters. Bradshaw's photos appeared often in Arizona Highways, and he published several books of Arizona images. Bob was involved in Sedona's film-making business for 50 years. He sold . . . — — Map (db m94834) HM
L.E. "Dad" Hart established Sedona's first real store in this building in 1926. The general store sold Oak Creek fruit and tourist supplies and was considered modern with gravity-drained gas pumps and the first commercial power in town. When the . . . — — Map (db m33202) HM
The earliest peoples arrived in the Verde Valley about 11,500 years ago. These early people practiced a hunting and gathering economy until approximately A.D. 1 when agriculture appeared. The Sinagua, whose Spanish name means "without water." . . . — — Map (db m132998) HM
This house was built in 1917 and was the home of the Sedona District Ranger, Jesse I. Bushnell. It continued to serve as living quarters until 1996, when the structure was converted to office space for the USFS Sedona Ranger District. — — Map (db m94829) HM
Lee Van Deren, cattleman, arrived to put his children in the new Sedona school opened in 1910. Ranching was a major part of Sedonas early economy. Round ups and cattle drives were a twice a year occurrence for ranchers when moving their herds from . . . — — Map (db m54229) HM
They dominate the horizon, rising 12,633 feet (3851 m) to Arizona's highest point. Visible for miles from all directions, they stand guard over a land which has long sustained people in spirit and natural resources. All of the region's Native . . . — — Map (db m41664) HM
Cinder cones erode easily and scars are slow to heal. In 1973, Sunset Crater was closed to climbing when 2-foot-wide trails eroded to 60-foot-wide swaths. Tons of cinder were shoveled back up the cone to fill hip-deep trenches. Notice the scars . . . — — Map (db m41676) HM
Buried under Sunset Crater's lava and cinders are perhaps dozens of pithouses. Those excavated revealed few artifacts; even building timbers had been removed. This suggests people had ample warning of the impending eruption.
The changed . . . — — Map (db m41693) HM
Erupting less than 1,000 years ago, Sunset Crater is the youngest in an impressive field of volcanoes all around you. The 1,000-foot-high (305m) cinder cone we see today formed when basalt magma rose directly to the surface through a primary vent. . . . — — Map (db m41665) HM
The landscape before you has existed on Earth for less than 1,000 years, less time than Romanesque architecture or paper money. Consequently, this environment has unique scientific value.
Geologists come here to study weathering processes and . . . — — Map (db m41691) HM
About 1,000 years ago, something spectacular happened in the lives of local Native peoples. Perhaps they first observed a change in animal behavior. Maybe they noticed the ground warming. Then the tremors increased in number and intensity. By the . . . — — Map (db m41689) HM
As a living ancestral homeland to the Hopi, Zuni, Yavapai, Havasupai, Navajo, Western Apache, and Southern Paiute, Sunset Crater is remembered, revered, and cared for.
People return often, bringing prayers and engaging in timeless traditions. . . . — — Map (db m41678) HM
Near here in 1879
Mormon Colonists Built
Arizona's First Woolen Mill
Hoping to utilize Hopi and Navajo wool and labor, the Mormons intended to build a new industry to supply the early settlers. The 192-spindle mill operated only a . . . — — Map (db m94884) HM
This was a community of relatives and neighbors. Its members worked together to haul water, hunt animals, and gather plants. They likely assisted each other with large fields on the rims. They shared walls and resources, joy and sorrow, success . . . — — Map (db m61366) HM
The Island Trail, visible below you, follows the sharp meander of Walnut Creek. Many cliff dwelling rooms, unique in this area, were built throughout the canyon at the level of this trail. On both rims are numerous pithouses and pueblos.
On . . . — — Map (db m61304) HM
Puebloan traditions reach far back in time and are the basis for the social organization portrayed here. What responsibilities might you have had in this community, given your age and gender?
[Photo captions read]
Hopi men plant and tend . . . — — Map (db m61350) HM
Perhaps people living here 800 years ago called this place Wupatupqa ("long canyon"), as it is known to some of their descendants, the Hopi. It was no doubt known as a place of abundance, given its wealth of plant and animal life and the . . . — — Map (db m61305) HM
When a volcanic eruption occurred near what is now Flagstaff, Arizona, people lost homes and lands they had cultivated for at least 400 years. A major life events for locals, the eruption was also visible to large population centers across the . . . — — Map (db m61325) HM
Overhanging ledges protected rooms from snow and rain, and shaded them during summer months. Thick walls of stone and mud insulated them from harsh winds and retained essential heat in winter.
Small doors were covered with animal skins, mats, . . . — — Map (db m61365) HM
As recently as the mid-1200s, families lived, worked, and played in Walnut Canyon. Tending crops on the rim, traveling to gather food, and collecting water from the canyon bottom were part of a daily routine.
It may be difficult to imagine . . . — — Map (db m61302) HM
Despite all it had to offer, in time Walnut Canyon became a difficult place for farmers to live. Drier, colder conditions meant crop failures. More people and diminished resources meant nutritional stress, disease, and conflict.
However, . . . — — Map (db m61370) HM
Limestone forms the massive overhang above you and the ledge you are standing on. In between, softer layers of silty limestone have retreated, eroded away. All of the cliff dwelling rooms in Walnut Canyon — more than 300 — were built . . . — — Map (db m61342) HM
Walnut Canyon was once filled with the sounds of a busy community as families hunted, planted, and harvested with the seasons. Children were born, grew up, and raised children of their own. They were neither the first nor the last to use and . . . — — Map (db m61328) HM
Time has worn away details that once made these rooms complete. Still, bits of evidence tell us people devised ways to make their homes comfortable, durable, and suitable for changing circumstances.
Rooms were added as families grew or . . . — — Map (db m61341) HM
Most rooms in this community did not house people. Archeologists think many rooms, like the one to your left, were used to store tools, food, and water. Residents could have stored a 100-day water supply without much difficulty, given large . . . — — Map (db m61347) HM
With its steep and sheer walls, Walnut Canyon provided homebuilding advantages along with controlled access. Living here, people were situated to monitor their world. This was not uncommon; most villages of the time had some form of passive . . . — — Map (db m61326) HM
For each room tucked into this rock alcove, nature provided the back wall, floor, and leak-proof ceiling; no excavation was needed. Builders simply laid up unshaped blocks of limestone for side walls, enclosed the front, and opened their doorway . . . — — Map (db m61340) HM
During the spring thaw, snowmelt rumbled through the narrow passage below you. Water flowed again during the summer monsoon. Shaded pools held precious water after the flow ebbed. Walnut Creek was the lifeblood of the community.
Still, people . . . — — Map (db m61356) HM
"It is very dusty work to dig for relics....We dug for an hour or more, and found...cornstalks, corncobs in abundance, beans, gourds, nuts, reeds, arrows, bowstrings,...coarse cloth, a child's sandal, a measuring stick with notches at regular . . . — — Map (db m61368) HM
In 1926, the Old Trails Highway was officially designated U.S. Highway 66, and it became the "Main Street of America." In 1984, Williams was the last Route 66 town in America to be bypassed by the interstate highway system. Built in 1907, this . . . — — Map (db m33375) HM
The wood framed 1894 Polson Bros. General Store burned down in the 1901 fire and was replaced by this brick building in 1907. The Babbitt and Polson families were pioneer merchants in the area. In 1930 the building was stuccoed to create the only . . . — — Map (db m33384) HM
This mountain was named for a colorful mountaineer, guide, and trapper who is generally credited with being the first American to explore northern Arizona – 1830 or earlier. Williams lived at different times among the Osage and Ute Indians, . . . — — Map (db m33418) HM
Built by C. E. Boyce in 1907, this structure was a general merchandise and hardware store and shared a common wall with the Old Post Office to the west. In 1929 it became a dry cleaners with a huge array of belt driven machinery and an adobe . . . — — Map (db m33366) HM
This Neo-Classical Revival style building opened with much fanfare on Armistice Day, November 11, 1918. The bank was the financial center of the lumber, ranching and railroad operations in the area until it closed in 1958. The extensive terra cotta . . . — — Map (db m33381) HM
In 1901, a great fire swept through Williams, burning 36 business buildings, 2 hotels and 10 homes in less than an hour. Major fires in 1903 and 1908 further dictated the need for fire-resistant stone, concrete, and brick buildings. Many of those, . . . — — Map (db m33392) HM
Has been placed on the National Register
of Historic Places by the United States
Department of the Interior
Cormick E. Boyce built this large brick structure intending it to be used as a bank, although it served as a grocery store during . . . — — Map (db m33417) HM
Bill Williams Mountain was named in 1851 after fabled mountain man William S. Williams, who is said to have trapped beaver in this area. In its shadow, this building circa 1912, served local needs with a pharmacy and soda fountain at the front of . . . — — Map (db m33389) HM
The Atlantic and Pacific Railroad arrived in 1882, starting a stampede of commercial enterprise. The development of Williams as a community is indicated in part, by this ice cream and confectionery store built by Albert Lebsch in 1914. For a number . . . — — Map (db m33391) HM
Beginning in 1926, this vintage 1907 building served as the U.S. Post Office for 36 years. This was one of the many structures built by Cormick E. Boyce, who arrived in 1881 as a freight hauler and became one of the area's leading merchants and . . . — — Map (db m33368) HM
Built of locally quarried volcanic rock in 1901, this edifice housed a bank and many businesses displaced by the 1901 fire. These included the local newspaper, telegraph office, and eventually Arnold's, a famous Route 66 eatery. In 1928, the Masonic . . . — — Map (db m33382) HM
Built of native rock with brick facades, this 1913 garage served travelers at the end of the wagon age and beginning of the automobile era. By 1930, automobiles carried more people to the Grand Canyon than did the railroad. The opposite end of this . . . — — Map (db m33380) HM
In 1901, a 60-mile long railroad spur line to the Grand Canyon secured Williams the title "Gateway to the Grand Canyon." Train tickets at that time cost $3.95 serving world travelers and locals alike, this pre-1910 structure was home to a men's . . . — — Map (db m33388) HM
Built in 1901, this brick structure was the first train depot in Williams. After the Fray Marcos depot was built in 1908, this building took on freight arriving to and departing from Williams. It was moved here from across the railroad tracks in . . . — — Map (db m33379) HM
This entertainment center opened in 1912 and boasted a theater and room for dances and other events. It featured silent movies until 1930 when the first "talkies" in northern Arizona were shown, drawing notadle visitors like Will Rodgers. The . . . — — Map (db m33385) HM
Telegraph service came to Williams in 1894. The Postal Telegraph Co. was located here in 1910, when this office was built, until the 1940's. At some time the building was divided to share space with Ziriax Photo Shop. The town bandstand was located . . . — — Map (db m33387) HM
This Victorian-Romanesque style building, designed as a saloon and bordello was built in 1897 by German tailor August Tetzlaff. Offering female company in eight cribs and an elegant parlor, it also boasted a two-story outhouse. Whiskey, pool tables . . . — — Map (db m33377) HM
Constructed of formed concrete block in 1912, this saloon and billiard hall included a buffet for the townspeople who used it as a gathering place. Named for the famous Sultana Ruby of India. During prohibition the basement speakeasy provided . . . — — Map (db m33386) HM
Has been placed on the National Register
of Historic Places by the United States
Department of the Interior
The Cabinet Saloon was a boisterous spot along "Saloon Row." Here railroaders, cowboys, loggers, and rowdy local residents came to . . . — — Map (db m33378) HM
Sculpture by B.R. Pettit
"Old Bill" was born January 3, 1787 in North Carolina.
He died March 24, 1849. In that 62 year life span he
did a heap of living, most of it in the wilderness. In
the late 1700's and early 1800's the mountain men . . . — — Map (db m26456) HM
The area around what now is Williams, Arizona, was first explored by a Mountain Man who came to this area in 1876, William Shirley Williams, who was called “Old Bill”.
The town site was created by a cowboy named C.T. Rogers in 1879. . . . — — Map (db m48351) HM
This area seems quiet and lonely today - but not 800 years ago. This valley was used for farming and hunting by the people living in Citadel, Nalakihu, and other nearby pueblos, all inhabited at about the same time. (You can see the ruins of at . . . — — Map (db m41716) HM
Nalakihu - A modern Hopi name, "House Outside the Village"
Farmers lived here about 800 years ago. (Roof beams gave tree ring dates in the late 1100s.) The way the walls join show this small pueblo was not built all at once, but was added onto. . . . — — Map (db m41713) HM
Ballcourts were common in southern Arizona from A.D. 750 to 1200, but relatively rare here in the northern part of the state. This suggests that the people of Wupatki intermingled with their southern Arizona neighbors - the Hohokam - who may have . . . — — Map (db m41696) HM
This blowhole - a crevice in the earth's crust that appears to breathe - is one of several found in the Wupatki area. It connects to an underground passage - size, depth, and complexity unknown - called an earthcrack. Earthcracks resulted from . . . — — Map (db m41701) HM
Farming then did not mean vast fields like we use today. Anasazi and Sinagua people modified these small terraces to grow hand-tended corn, cotton, beans, and squash. We know the climate was about what it is now, very dry for farming. The terraces . . . — — Map (db m41715) HM
Welcome to Globe's Historic Downtown District, a designated Main Street City which once played a vital role in the saga of the Old West. We invite you to walk the steps of Historic Gila County Courthouse where you can enjoy the breathtaking . . . — — Map (db m28048) HM
You are standing next to the Cobre Valley Center for the Arts, located in the Old Gila County Courthouse. In 1905, stone masons working on Roosevelt Dam were contracted to build this imposing structure which is on the National Register of . . . — — Map (db m28193) HM
This pass was used by Kearny's Army of the West in a march to California in 1846. Guided by Kit Carson it was described in a journal of the trip as "Carson's Old Trail”. The pass led around the impassable canyon on the Gila River where . . . — — Map (db m28045) HM
George W.P. Hunt, Arizona's first Governor, arrived in Globe as a poor prospector. His first job was sweeping out a Saloon, but he eventually served four terms as Governor, beginning at Statehood in 1912. He campaigned on the back of a burro and . . . — — Map (db m67465) HM
Globe, Gila County, Arizona
Apache Warrior Stronghold
and Pioneer Home of
Hon. George W. P. Hunt
1859 – 1934
Member various Territorial Legislatures, President Arizona Constitutional Convention, Arizona's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, . . . — — Map (db m28047) HM
Colorful Arizona pioneer and faithful Gila County public servant. At intervals from 1885 to 1947, within the walls of three courthouses erected on this spot, he occupied various offices. His last office was Clerk of the Superior Court1912 to . . . — — Map (db m28046) HM
Located along this road
Ghost Mining Camp
In 1874 native silver was discovered in what became the fabulous Stonewall Jackson Ledge. This discovery brought boom conditions that lasted less than 10 years. An Indian attack on . . . — — Map (db m36905) HM
Included in this historic copper mine are the Globe ledge silver claims. Discovered in 1873, the first to yield profitable ore in the Globe-Miami district. The Old Dominion included many other early claims. Production ceased in the 30s, due to . . . — — Map (db m67463) HM
John Henry Thompson, a noted Gila County pioneer, brought his bride, Carrie Louise Nash, to Globe to live in the house he had built on this site, one of the town's early adobe buildings. Thompson was active in mining, cattle ranching and the feed . . . — — Map (db m34119) HM
In 1916, Jakes Corner originally called Felton, started as a stage stop, on the Annie Hardt homestead.
As a pull out on the road to Globe, stages used to stop and wait as the occasional flooding Salt River receded. Annie Hardt had a vegetable . . . — — Map (db m48354) HM
This wall is to honor the memory of all of the veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of this great nation, in war and in peace. They have placed themselves in harms way to serve a cause greater than themselves. Ensuring that the freedom we . . . — — Map (db m67472) WM
This historic mail trail is dedicated to the memory of the mail riders named below and unknown mail carriers that braved weather, rough terrain and the Verde River to deliver mail 52 miles from Camp Verde to Payson, Arizona from 1884 to 1914.
. . . — — Map (db m36063) HM
who made the
to protect our magnificent
Mogollon Rim Country
Date - Fire Name - Victim's Name - Remarks
6/15/61 - Roberts - Chuck Cochane - Pilot TBM Air Tanker
6/21/61 - . . . — — Map (db m67406) HM
In 1932 a log building named the Payson Hotel was built on this site. In 1954 it was remodeled, together with the building to the west, as the Ox Bow Inn and Saloon. The name comes from Oxbow Hill, the gateway to Payson, named when soldiers in the . . . — — Map (db m67403) HM
The Rim Country Museum complex is the site of the first headquarters for the Payson Ranger District, Tonto National Forest. The original buildings were placed here in 1907. The Ranger's family house is the second one, built in 1933. The ranger . . . — — Map (db m67407) HM
Shoofly Village Ruin is the remains of a large masonry and Jacal prehistoric community. It contains 80+ rooms and covers 4 acres. Between A.D. 1000 and 1200 as many as 250 people may once have lived inside its walls. The people made their living by . . . — — Map (db m67415) HM
On this strategic site, J.W. Boardman built a rock building and constructed a mercantile business. McLane Road, going north along the property, was the road to Pine and points north and west. The store was gutted by fire in 1938. Refrigerator . . . — — Map (db m67405) HM
The two-story Herron Hotel burned down in 1918 at this location. Subsequently a series of businesses were established on this block. Among them were Payson's first gasoline station, an ice cream parlor, barber shop, mercantile store, and finally the . . . — — Map (db m67404) HM
On June 25, 1990 a lightning caused fire entrapped ten members of the Perryville fire crew in this canyon. Resulting in six fatalities. Before the fire was contained it had burned more than 24,000 acres and destroyed over 70 structures.
This . . . — — Map (db m28210) HM
These Trees Planted in Memory of the Firefighters Who Died in the Dude Fire June 26, 1990
Sandra J. Bachman Joseph Chacon Alex S. Contreras James L. Denny James E. Ellis Curtis E. Springfield — — Map (db m28211) HM
An Ohio born dentist, Zane Grey spent many years under the Mogollon Rim, writing "To the Last Man" and a dozen other westerns with Arizona settings and characters. His prolific writings popularized the American cowboy as a taciturn, romantic figure. — — Map (db m67413) HM
This historic mail trail is dedicated to the memory of the mail riders named below and unknown mail carriers that braved weather, rough terrain and the Verde River to deliver mail 52 miles from Camp Verde to Payson, Arizona from 1884 to 1914.
. . . — — Map (db m67417) HM
The Pine Community Center Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic buildings of the district are the LDS (Latter Day Saints/Mormon) Ward Chapel, built in 1915-1916, the Cultural Hall, completed in 1931, . . . — — Map (db m67416) HM
Veteran of the Civil War and for twenty years a leader of Scouts for the U.S. Army in Arizona Indian troubles was killed on this spot February 19th, 1907 by a rolling rock during construction of the Tonto Road. His body is buried in the cemetery at . . . — — Map (db m34114) HM
The Salt River begins high in the White Mountains as runoff from melting snow, finding its way into streams and creeks that eventually form the White and Black rivers. The confluence of the two rivers marks the beginning of the Salt.
Early . . . — — Map (db m34110) HM
Before dam modifications could begin, a $21.3 million bridge was built to relocate traffic off the top of Roosevelt Dam. Roosevelt Lake Bridge is the longest two-lane, single-span, steel-arch bridge in North America. The bridge, spanning 1,080 feet . . . — — Map (db m134161) HM
Over six million years ago, the mountains surrounding you were lifted skyward. As they rose, the land in between sank, creating the valley known as Tonto Basin.
Melting snow and summer rains drain from the vast Salt River watershed toward the . . . — — Map (db m34111) HM
The United States of America
Department of Interior
Bureau of Indian Affairs
President of the United States of America
Roy O. West Secretary of the Interior Hubert Work Secretary of . . . — — Map (db m81530) HM
The Strawberry School is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built by pioneers in 1885, this one-room cabin provided elementary instruction to students until 1916. The building represents the effort to teach the "Three Rs" in rural . . . — — Map (db m35837) HM
One of the Wests Longest and Bloodiest feuds took
place here and around Pleasant Valley. The Grahams and
the Tewksburys had been in the cattle business and it
seems probable that they first fell out over the division of cattle they jointly owned . . . — — Map (db m78742) HM
First home of the present Eastern Arizona College was Central's red-brick churchhouse located just north of this marker. Founded December 1890 The many-named school moved the next year to Thatcher. — — Map (db m28054) HM
Named for the rebellious medicine man who led the Chiricahua Apaches on their last raids, to surrender, and then into exile in Florida and Oklahoma. Their descendants lived in Eastern Arizona again. This was also the site of original Camp Thomas, . . . — — Map (db m28050) HM
Melvin Jones was born on January 13, 1879, near this site in Fort Thomas. He lived here for the first eight years of his life, during the Indian Wars here. In 1917, Melvin Jones formed Lions Clubs International with 20 delegates representing 27 . . . — — Map (db m28051) HM
A well-known Tucson architect, H. O. Jaastad, designed this imposing neo-classical revival structure in 1920. Snell & Harvey of Phoenix erected the building for around $50,000. The concrete foundation is capped by brick construction. Two terra cotta . . . — — Map (db m61511) HM
Since Graham County's formation in 1881 the courthouse had been relocated four times. It had been housed in an adobe structure in Safford, two sites in Solomonville, and the Rig's Building on Main Street when the county seat was returned to Safford. . . . — — Map (db m36370) HM
In Memory Of
Horatio Harris Merrill
Born January 3, 1837
And his daughter
Eliza Ann Merrill
Born July 27, 1881
Who, while traveling by team and wagon from Pima, Arizona to Clifton, Arizona, were . . . — — Map (db m36243) HM
In Memory of two of the
many pioneers who brought
law, order and safety to
the Gila Valley.
Lorenzo and Seth Wright
were killed 1 mile north of
this spot by Indians who
had stolen 45 horses from
While . . . — — Map (db m28170) HM
This monument commemorates the sesquicentennial celebration (1847 – 1997) of the Mormon pioneers' arrival into the Salt Lake Valley. The following groups are recognized for their contribution to the settlement of this Gila Valley. Native . . . — — Map (db m61509) HM
Safford City Hall started life as a school building. Safford School System bids for the North Ward School were opened in February 1898. The contract was awarded to R. A. Smith Jr. and John Morris. The new building was ready for the fall term in . . . — — Map (db m36369) HM
The Route of:
Coronado in search of the Fabled Seven Cities of Cibola. 1540
James O. Pattie and other famous trappers along the Gila River.
Gen. Stephen W. Kearny and . . . — — Map (db m48612) HM
Gila Valley Bank, forerunner of the Valley National Bank of Arizona, was formally organized on this site December 15, 1899, opening January 16, 1900. The bank was originally housed in the northeast corner of the I. E. Solomon Commercial Company . . . — — Map (db m28060) HM
Named for Isadore Elkan Solomon, a pioneer settler, who in 1876 burned charcoal here for supplying fuel to the Lesinsky Brothers' Copper Smelter near Clifton. First Treasurer of Graham County. Early day merchant, postmaster, and one of the founders . . . — — Map (db m28059) HM
When Andrew Kimball was called to preside over the St. Joseph Stake in 1898, Church members provided ten acres on which he built this adobe and brick home in 1902. He helped make the 12,000 adobes. His son, Spencer W. Kimball, 12th President of the . . . — — Map (db m61510) HM
Blasted from living rock this jail confined many of the bad men who crowed into the district in the boom days. Local tradition says that the first inmate in 1881 was the miner who built the jail. It was contributed to the town by the Lesinsky . . . — — Map (db m36373) HM
This 850-pound copper anode was one of the last anodes produced at the Phelps Dodge Hidalgo Smelter in Hidalgo County, New Mexico from copper concentrate produced at the Morenci Mine in Arizona. The Hidalgo Smelter operated from 1976 to 1999. . . . — — Map (db m36249) HM
In January of 1825, a trapper named James O. Pattie, ascended this river and with one companion in 14 days trapped 250 beavers. This was the first known penetration of Arizona by American citizens. — — Map (db m36372) HM
Historic Rehabilitation Project
Arizona & New Mexico Railway Passenger Station
Built in 1913
Mayor - David R. McCullar
Vice-Mayor - Pamela C. Combs
Councilmember - A. M. 'Tony' Rodriquez
Councilmember - Patricia Fowler . . . — — Map (db m36679) HM
This area served as a resting place for Apache war parties during the raids of the 1880's. Near here Felix B. Knox, a cattleman and gambler, stayed behind to face Indians while his wife, children, and hired man escaped in a buckboard. Out of respect . . . — — Map (db m36371) HM
Dedicated to the men who gave time in their lives to serve honorably and courageously for our country. We take this moment in time to recognize their achievements which were done with pride and dignity.
* * *
Ardennes - Alsace - . . . — — Map (db m29160) HM
Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe
The 739th Tank Battalion was activated in March 1943 at Fort Lewis, Washington. The officers were from various states, the enlisted personnel from Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana.
The . . . — — Map (db m78558) HM
The 740th tank battalion was activated at Fort Knox, Ky. on March 1, 1943. It trained at Fort Knox and at Camp Bouse, Az. as a canal defense light (CDL) unit and as a standard medium tank battalion from October 15, 1943 to April 24, 1944 then sailed . . . — — Map (db m78562) HM
The 748th Tank Battalion, Medium was activated on 20 August 1942 at Camp Rucker, Alabama. The Rhinos headed for Fort Knox on the 15th of April 1943 for training and on 20 April 1943 were reorganized as a special battalion equipped with CDL . . . — — Map (db m92814) HM
This building was built prior to 1912. The mercantile was known to do business with the A & C and Swansea railroads in 1916. It has been open continuously since that time. Bouse postmaster Cora L. Johnston moved the US Post Office to the store in . . . — — Map (db m39504) HM
Thomas Bouse was born in Mendecino County, California and came here about 1889 as a prospector and built the first two rooms of his home. He ran a small store here. He brought his wife, Katherine, and infant daughter here in 1892. Three more . . . — — Map (db m29070) HM
General George Patton established Camp Bouse in 1943 in the Butler Valley as the site for training over 5,500 carefully screened and qualified volunteers. These soldiers were trained to use a highly secret weapon called the Canal Defense Light. . . . — — Map (db m29165) HM
Activated 1 April, 1943 at Camp Perry, OH. Completed basic training and then sent to Ft. Knox, KY. Unit then assigned to Camp Bouse, AZ arriving there 9 November, 1943. Maintaining operation of special tanks named "Leaflets" was specific assignment. . . . — — Map (db m78557) HM
Central Europe Northern France Rhineland
The 701st tank battalion was activated 3/28/43 at Camp Campbell, KY. Here 553 young men and officers began their journey into history. These men began their basic training and for many saw . . . — — Map (db m78564) HM
Camp Bouse was established in Butler Valley 30 miles behind this monument in Sept. of 1943. It was one of twelve such camps built in the southwestern deserts to harden and train United States troops for service on the battlefields of World War II. . . . — — Map (db m78566) HM
He was our drinking buddy
While on duty
He drank our beer
Full of good cheer
And went to the nurses' quarters around the bend
And came to an untimely end,
Of the Colonel, he was unaware
That it would be the crime of all time . . . — — Map (db m78536) HM
We bring to a close
We tried to find
We must now impose
Units not found
748th Tank Battalion
150th Station Hospital
538th Ordnance Company
629th Quartermaster — — Map (db m29161) HM
In honored memory of those soldiers of the battalion who trained here at Camp Bouse and gave their lives in combat to preserve the freedom of the United States and to set the Peoples of Europe free.
Donald D. . . . — — Map (db m78537) HM
Gold and silver strikes in the 1860's created growth in the area. It is said Wyatt Earp served as sheriff of Cibola for one year in the 1890's. The town of Cibola formed in 1898 and construction began on a 16 mile canal to bring water from the river . . . — — Map (db m78552) HM
Ferries of various size and design once provided transportation across the lower Colorado River linking Arizona with California, Nevada and Utah.
Ferrymen plied their trade from Yuma to Pearce Ferry. The first ferry on the river was started at . . . — — Map (db m78553) HM
This monument built to
perpetuate the memory of
the pioneers, trailblazers,
and adventurers that rest
in these unmarked graves.
(Arizona Highway Department, 1934)
Rededicated: April 27, 2003 (CY 6008)
By the Ancient and . . . — — Map (db m31188) HM
We honor our ancestors who died violent deaths at the hands of their captors and at this concentration camp. We greet the spirits of our ancestors and embrace their strength and above all else, their will to survive this holocaust: the Hualapai . . . — — Map (db m36012) HM
First used sometime after June 16, 1862. Some of Arizona's earliest pioneers, people of every race and moral persuasion, lie here in eternal peace. The last burial was on April 22, 1988. — — Map (db m31827) HM
[ The single 30 foot concrete pillar of the monument symbolizes "unity of spirit". The hexagonal base represents a Japanese stone lantern. The 12 small pillars situated around the monument make it a working sundial. Mounted on the 30 foot pillar . . . — — Map (db m32258) HM
McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom was a multi-service aircraft, served as primary fighter with Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps during Vietnam era. Carrying a crew of two, Pilot and Weapon Systems Officer, it was capable of speeds in excess of Mach . . . — — Map (db m118796) HM
The famous camel herd with which the name of Hi Jolly is linked constitutes an interesting sidelight of Arizona history. Jefferson Davis (afterward president of the Southern Confederacy), as Secretary of War, approved a plan to experiment with . . . — — Map (db m70566) HM
Thomas P. Quinn, born in 1869 in New Jersey, had a mine near here and dug a cistern to catch water. He built a house just north of this sign and lived there until old age forced him to move to Bouse.
The remains of his cistern survive and . . . — — Map (db m29068) HM
This was a stage stop between Ehrenberg and Wickenburg and points east. Travelers in the 1870's and 80's made their first stop here on eastward journeys from the Colorado River. "No grass, but good water," an early desert guide indicated . . . — — Map (db m7004) HM
Dug by hand around 1864 by a miner named Tyson. This 40-foot-deep well marked the spot around which grew the town of Quartzsite. Originally known as "Tyson's Well," "Tyson Wells," or "Tyson's Wells," the small community served as an important . . . — — Map (db m39416) HM
Harrisburg was established on this site in 1886 by Captain Charles Harris, and his partner Governor Fredrick Tritle, as a mill town to process ore from the Socorro and other mines in the area. By 1887 two mills were operating here.
The post . . . — — Map (db m31821) HM
This desert town was made famous by the humor of Dick Wick Hall, healthseeker and operator of the laughing gas station. Hall's publication the Salome Sun was filled with extravagant tales of the desert's adaptation of species. He told of his frog . . . — — Map (db m31824) HM
Every year on Veterans Day, the five pillars of the Memorial will align perfectly to cast one, long shadow across the circle of pavers at precisely 11:11 a.m. At the exact same time, the sunlight projecting through the elliptical openings in the . . . — — Map (db m81043) WM
Alchesay led his people in war and peace
Alchesay Canyon, to your right, was named for a great leader. Chief Alchesay, born around 1853, was a leader among the White Mountain Apache. Other Apaches looked up to him not only because he . . . — — Map (db m34073) HM
Apache Lake is the deepest on the entire chain of reservoir lakes on the Salt River. It was created by the construction of Horse Mesa Dam in 1927.
Apache Lake Marina will help you enjoy the Lake. Food, lodging and marina services are available. . . . — — Map (db m34063) HM
After nearly nine years of work, $430 million in construction cost, 450,000 cubic yards of concrete, and 849 miles of reinforcing steel, another vivid chapter in Arizona history has been rewritten. Modifications to Roosevelt Dam were required . . . — — Map (db m34107) HM
The construction of Roosevelt Dam involved several thousand people over the course of the project. Hiring was straightforward; a foreman would simply size up a man and decide if he could do the work. Jobs requiring diverse skills were plentiful. . . . — — Map (db m34108) HM
"The Apache Trail combines the grandeur of the Alps, the Glory of the Rockies, the magnificence of the Grand Canyon and then adds an indefinable something that none of the others have. To me, it is the most awe-inspiring and most sublimely . . . — — Map (db m34066) HM
Main Marker - Side A:
The Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge spans the Gila River on Old US 80 Highway, between the communities of Arlington and Gila Bend. Built in 1927 as a Federal Aid Project, the bridge is a unique and elegant reminder of . . . — — Map (db m54936) HM
In December 2011, as the Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge approached its 85th year of service, the Maricopa County Department of Transportation began a major bridge rehabilitation and repair effort to save one of Arizona's earliest and most significant . . . — — Map (db m69445) HM
Marker 1 - (Main Marker):
The original Verde River Sheep Bridge, also known as the Red Point Sheep Bridge, was constructed at this location in 1943 by Flagstaff Sheep Company, which had been grazing sheep in the area under a Forest . . . — — Map (db m53966) HM
1260 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 251 through 451 were listed. Previous 200Next 810