Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Georgia

5247 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 3001 through 3201 are listed. Previous 200 Next 2047
 
New Echota Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jamie Abel, May 29, 2013
New Echota Marker
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — 064-29 — New EchotaCherokee National Capital
The sprawling town of New Town which had stood here since 1819 was designated the seat Of government for the Cherokee Nation in a legislative act of 1825 and it was renamed New Echota for a former principal town in Tennessee. In its short history . . . — Map (db m67572) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — 064-30 — New Echota Cemetery
On the hilltop, 100 yards to the south, is the cemetery for the village of New Echota. The marked graves are those of Pathkiller, Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation until his death in 1827 and a colonel in Morgan's regiment in the War of 1812, . . . — Map (db m11570) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — 064-31 — New Echota Ferry
The head of the Oostanaula River is formed 200 yards northeast by the confluence of the Coosawattee and the Conasauga Rivers. The passage of travelers and freight along the Tennessee Road was served at this point by a ferry operated by the Cherokee . . . — Map (db m11057) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — 064-25 — Richard Peters Plantation
May 16, 1864 Williams’ 1st & Geary’s 2d divs., 20th A. C. [US], crossed the Coosawattee at McClure’s Ferry near Pine Chapel, & night of the 17th, reached this cross-roads -- Buschbeck’s brigade of Geary’s div. camping on the Peters plantation. . . . — Map (db m30560) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — 064-34 — Roland HayesJune 3, 1887 - January 1, 1977
Roland Hayes, the first internationally renowned African - American classical singer was born in Gordon County and performed at this site, the former Calhoun High Auditorium. Hayes opened doors for African - American concert and opera performers and . . . — Map (db m13916) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — Sequoyah
Originator of the Cherokee Indian alphabet. Two miles east of this spot is New Echota, the last Indian capital in Georgia, where Sequoyah lived. Here was published the "Cherokee Phoenix," only newspaper edited in an Indian language. . . . — Map (db m87047) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — The Calhoun Depot
Constructed in 1847 by the Western & Atlantic Rail Road Purchased by the City of Calhoun 1990 Roof Donation by the Calhoun Woman's Club 1991 Renovated by the City of Calhoun 1996/97 Construction Project Manager Councilman . . . — Map (db m87057)
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — 064-33 — Trail of Tears
The New Echota Treaty of 1835 relinquished Cherokee Indian claims to lands east of the Mississippi River. The majority of the Cherokee people considered the treaty fraudulent and refused to leave their homelands in Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, . . . — Map (db m10051) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Cash — 064-24 — Big Spring
May 17, 1864: Butterfield's (3d) div., 20th A.C [US], marched this way from Field’s Mill, Coosawattee River, enroute to Kingston & camped at the Smith farm 2 ½ miles N. of Mosteller’s Mills. May 18: Schofield's 23d A.C [US], marching from . . . — Map (db m19284) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — Atlanta CampaignResaca — May 13-15, 1864 —
National Historic Site Atlanta Campaign Resaca May 13-15, 1864 In this vicinity the Confederate lines North and West of Resaca held firm against Federal attack. Sherman then executed a successful flank movement to the west and . . . — Map (db m44790) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 155-3 — Battle of Resaca
May 14: Stewart’s Div., Hood’s Corps (CS) moved from intrenchments near the John Green house and attacked left of Federals then extending toward the State R. R. This attack fell upon the left of Stanley ’s (1st) div., 4th A. C. and 5th lnd. Battery . . . — Map (db m10971) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-11 — Battle of Resaca
May 16, 1864. Johnston's forces (CS) withdrew from Resaca via pontoon, R. R. & trestle bridges over the Oostanaula River. The 4th & two divs. Of the 14th Corps (US) rebuilt 2 bridges which had been burned & followed the retreating Confederates S., . . . — Map (db m11551) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-9 — Battle of Resaca
May 13, 1864, McPherson's 15th and 16th A.C. (US) moving from Snake Creek Gap reached this cross-roads where his forces were deployed for advance toward Camp Cr. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick's Cav. Div. (US) led advance; during a sharp engagement he was . . . — Map (db m11552) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-3 — Battle of ResacaMay 14-15, 1864
0.5 mi. W. is Camp Creek Valley, scene of the 23rd Corps (US) assaults on Hood's left and Hardee's right (CS), May 14. On ridge 0.2 mi. W. was the position of Wood's (3rd) Div., 4th A.C. and Capt. Wm. Wheeler's 13th New York battery (US), May . . . — Map (db m11553) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-4 — Battle of ResacaMay 14-15, 1864
At this point the intrenched line of Gen. John B. Hood's Corps (CS) crossed the road ~ this corps being one of the three composing Gen. J.E. Johnston's Army of Tennessee. Line faced N., Hindman's Div. (CS) on the left extended W. to Camp Creek . . . — Map (db m11554) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-5 — Battle of Resaca
Hood's line, (CS) beginning E. at State R.R. ran W. to point atop ridge (S) where Hardee's rt. joined it & together with Polk's Corps, (CS) the line was prolonged 3 miles S. to the Oostanaula River. May 13, 1864, Sherman's forces (US) reached the . . . — Map (db m11555) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-6 — Battle of ResacaMay 14, 1864
A portion of Hood's A. C. (CS), thrust forward to hold ridge in fork of cr. was driven back to hills this side of the valley & N. of the road. Cox's ( 3d ) Div., 23d A. C. (US) having taken the ridge in creek - fork, was relieved by 4th A.C. which . . . — Map (db m11556) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-13 — Battle of Resaca
May 13, 1864. The 15th and the 16th A.C. (US) deployed astride road on ridges W. of those next to and this side of Camp Creek, where Polk's Corps (CS) was posted. May 14: The 15th and the 16th A.C. drove Polk's troops across creek from this ridges . . . — Map (db m11557) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-7 — Battle of ResacaMay 14, 1864
The Battle of Resaca was one of the few places where the entire armies of Sherman and Johnston faced each other in the Atlanta Campaign. Judah´s (2nd) Div., 23rd Army Corps & part of the 14th Corps [US] moved from the high bluff west of Camp Creek ¾ . . . — Map (db m13914) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-15 — Confederate Cemetery Resaca
Established shortly after the war by Miss Mary J. Green & Associates for burial of Confederate soldiers who fell at the battle of Resaca. May 14, 1864, Maj. Gen. A. P. Stewart´s Div., Hood´s A. C. (rt. Of Johnston´s line) [CS], posted 600 yds. N. . . . — Map (db m13915) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-21 — Harlan’s Cross RoadsMaj. Gen. John M. Schofield’s Headquarters, May 16, 1864
Hovey’s 1st and Judah’s 2d divs. Of Sheffield’s 23 A.C. [US], enroute from Resaca battlefield crossed the Conasauga river at Fite's Fy. intending to pass the Coosawattee at McClure’s Ferry, 1.25 mi. east of here. But the 20th A.C. [US], diverted . . . — Map (db m19281) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-22 — McClure’s Ferry
May 16, 1864. Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker (20th A. C.) [US], moving E. from Resaca, with orders to cross at Newtown Fy., elected to usurp the crossing at McClure’s thereby forcing Schofield’s 23d A. C. [US] to proceed E. to Field’s Mill & Ferry. . . . — Map (db m19283) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — Miss Mary Green
This tablet is dedicated by the Atlanta Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy to the memory of Miss Mary Green, who established this Resaca Cemetery –- the first in this state -- for our Confederate soldiers. Made by the . . . — Map (db m26347) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-14-2 — Polk's Line Withdrawn to Resaca
May 14, 1864. After being driven from hills W. of Camp Creek by troops of the 15th and 16th Corps (US), Polk's A.C. (CS) was aligned on the E. side of the creek, its center posted on a chain of hills S. of this road and overlooking the creek ~ its . . . — Map (db m11558) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Sonoraville — GHM 064-26 — Old Sonora P.O. Now Sonoraville
May 18, 1864. Maj. Gen. J.D. Cox's (3d) Div., 23d A.C. (US) marching S. from Field's Mill, Coosawattee River, via Cash, took the direct rd. to Sonora. Moving S. 4 mi., the div. turned W. on the Fairmount-Adairsville rd. to Mosteller's Mills (near . . . — Map (db m16290) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Sugar Valley — 064-8 — Snake Creek Gap
May 8, 1864. McPherson´s 15th and 16th Corps [US] seized Snake Creek Gap. On the 9th, attempting to destroy the R. R. at Resaca, (defended by Cantey´s Div. of Polk’s Corps), [CS] McPherson was forced to withdraw to the mouth of the gap where he . . . — Map (db m13913) HM
Georgia (Grady County), Cairo — 65-1 — Birthplace of Jackie RobinsonFirst African American in Major League Baseball
Robinson was born here on January 31, 1919 before he and his family moved to California in 1920. After attending U.C.L.A., serving in the U.S. Army, and playing in the Negro American Baseball and International Leagues, Robinson joined the Brooklyn . . . — Map (db m27306) HM
Georgia (Grady County), Cairo — 065-1 — Grady County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 17, 1905, is named for Henry W. Grady, nationally famous editor and “silver tongued orator” of the New South. Born in Athens, Ga., in 1850 and educated at the Universities of Georgia & . . . — Map (db m27123) HM
Georgia (Grady County), Cairo — 065-2 — Grady County
"Original Diversified Farming County of Southeast” Established January 1, 1906 The Courthouse and County Jail were built in 1908 and the county was organized under the general supervision of the following first Board of County . . . — Map (db m27125) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — Bishop George Foster Pierce(1811-1884)
Born February 3 in 1811 near Greensboro, George Foster Pierce was converted while at the University in Athens; in 1830 he followed his father, Dr. Lovick Pierce, into the Methodist ministry. He was first assigned twenty-two preaching stations on the . . . — Map (db m14731) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — First Commissioner of Agriculture
In 1874, the Georgia Department of Agriculture was established by Act of the Legislature with Thomas P. Janes serving as its first Commissioner, 1874-79. Commissioner Janes, born 1823 in present Taliaferro County, (formerly the eastern part of . . . — Map (db m14726) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-7 — Fort Mathews»»— 2 mi. →
About two miles South, in the fork of the Appalachee and Oconee rivers, stood Fort Mathews, built in 1793. From this fort, Thomas Houghton observed the activities of General Elijah Clark and his land hungry followers as they built forts and . . . — Map (db m15809) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-1 — Greene County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 3, 1786, is named for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene, the strategist who ranked second only to Gen. Washington. Born in Rhode Island in 1742, he died at his Georgia plantation in 1786. Seven miles . . . — Map (db m42718) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 66-2 — Historic Springfield Baptist Church
Springfield Baptist Church was established on January 27, 1864 prior to the abolition of slavery, and is among the first African-American churches founded in Middle Georgia. Enslaved workers purchased land from Mrs. Nancy Bickers and began monthly . . . — Map (db m38893) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-5 — Old Greene County "Gaol"<------<<<<
The old rock jail in the rear of the Court House is patterned after the bastilles where prisoners were housed and punished a hundred or more years ago. Built of granite about two feet thick, it is two stories in height and has a trap door in the . . . — Map (db m15807) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — Sheriff L. L. Wyatt
[Marker Front]: This 1895 jail is named for the legendary Sheriff, Loy Lee Wyatt, who enforced the laws in Greene County for fifty-two years until his death in 1977. Sheriff L.L. Wyatt was born on January 2, 1904, in Paulding County. He was . . . — Map (db m15997) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-8 — Stagecoach Road
Near here ran the old Stagecoach Road from Augusta, Petersburg, Washington and Greensboro to Park’s Mill, where a toll bridge crossed the Oconee. After crossing the river the highway diverged -- the left fork going to Eatonton, Milledgeville, Macon, . . . — Map (db m42720) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-12 — The Burning of Greensborough
During the early years of its settlement, Greensborough and Greene County suffered greatly from depredations committed by Indians who occupied the West bank of the Oconee River about eight miles from here. Most tragic of these was the destruction of . . . — Map (db m38892) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-4 — Unknown Confederate Dead
Forty ~ five unknown Confederate soldiers, “known but to God,” are buried in this cemetery. These men died of wounds or disease in the Confederate hospitals in Greensboro, 1863 ~ 1865. These hospitals were the Dawson, Bell, Polk, Court . . . — Map (db m14728) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — William C. Dawson1798 - 1856 — Statesman - Soldier - Jurist - Freemason —
A native of Greene County, then on Georgia’s Indian frontier, he was educated in the law and admitted to the bar in 1818. The remainder of his exemplary life was spent in the public service as legislator, Captain of Volunteers in the Indian War of . . . — Map (db m14740) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Penfield — 066-13 — “Old Mercer”
Actuated by a legacy from Josiah Penfield, Mercer University was founded here in 1833 as Mercer Institute. After considering several locations, the Trustees moved the institution to Macon in 1871 and, in 1880, transferred all holdings in Penfield to . . . — Map (db m24726) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — 066-10 — Bethany Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1786, Bethany Presbyterian Church was the first church in Greene County. Dr. Francis Cummins, Dr. Francis Goulding, and other great ministers preached here. In 1886, Dr. James Woodrow was tried for heresy here in the first “monkey . . . — Map (db m24619) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — 066-9 — Bethesda Baptist Church
When Bethesda Baptist Church was organized in 1785, it was known as Whatley’s Mill Church, and was in Wilkes County before it was added to Greene in 1802. When the present building was erected in 1818, the name was changed to Bethesda. Jesse Mercer . . . — Map (db m24724) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — Confederate Wayside Home 1862-64
Commemorating the Confederate Wayside Home 1862-64. Whose activities were carried on by fourteen women of Union Point. — Map (db m60829) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — First Regimental Reunion of Confederate Veterans
Commemorating the site of the First Regimental Reunion of Confederate Veterans Survivors of the 3rd Georgia Regiment met at the Union Point Fair Grounds July 30-31, 1874 — Map (db m60774) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — Great Buffalo Lick
This site is described in the treaty signed by the Creek and Cherokee Indians at Augusta, Georgia, in 1773. Here began the survey of the ceded lands. — Map (db m15712) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — 066-2 — Site of Wayside Home
Here in 1862-1864 was located the Wayside home, operated by 14 gallant Confederate women of this city. More than one million meals were served to Confederate soldiers, sailors, and marines, passing thought this town. More than ten thousand . . . — Map (db m15803) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — The Two Committees
The Two Committees Who alternated weekly In carrying on the Wayside Home Mrs. Jas. B. Hart Mrs. P. W. Printup Mrs. M. L. Watson Mrs. L. Bynum Mrs. Martha E. Forester Mrs. Ira Brown Mrs. Dr. B. F. Carlton Mrs. Richard Dilworth . . . — Map (db m60845) HM
Georgia (Greene County), White Plains — 066-11 — Liberty Chapel
About 1786, John Bush built a brush arbor as a community center for camp meeting at what was then called “Crackers Neck.” From this grew Liberty Chapel, “Cradle of Methodism” for this section. In 1797, Rev. James Jenkins, . . . — Map (db m23083) HM
Georgia (Greene County), White Plains — 66-1 — White Plains Baptist Church
White Plains Baptist Church was organized in 1806, with all four sanctuaries located here. The current sanctuary was constructed in 1887. Welcoming its first African-American member in 1812, both races worshipped together until 1869. In the late . . . — Map (db m23997) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Auburn — Karina Miller Nature Preserve
The preserve was dedicated by Gwinnett County in 2005 on land purchased from the Miller family. The preserve includes 200 acres of land to remain undisturbed for future generations. It contains a variety of wildlife including mammals, birds, . . . — Map (db m114324) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Auburn — Little Mulberry Park
History of the Park Land The land for Little Mulberry Park was purchased by Gwinnett County in three parcels from 1998 to 2001. The park officially opened in 2004. The property includes 890 acres of diverse landscape including two man-made . . . — Map (db m114326) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Auburn — Old Oak Tree
Old Oak Tree This forest was once a pasture. This White Oak (Quercus alba) is over 100 years old and provides evidence that it occupied the edge of a formerly cleared pasture area. The other clue is the occasional piece of barbed . . . — Map (db m114330) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Auburn — Stone Structures
Stone Structures These stone structures range from neatly stacked cubic assemblies to scattered piles of rock (that appear to formerly have been neatly stacked). Some are stacked five to six feet tall. There are hundreds of these mounds . . . — Map (db m114344) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Buford — Chesser-Williams House
One of the oldest surviving homes in Gwinnett County, this house was built in the 1850s. The house was originally two rooms wide and one room deep. This style is referred to as an I-house. The house is unique because of the beautiful, hand painted . . . — Map (db m107606) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — 067-7 — Elisha Winn House
This house was built by Elisha Winn around 1812. In 1818, the Georgia General Assembly created Gwinnett County from Cherokee and Creek cessions and part of Jackson County. The first Gwinnett elections and sessions of the Inferior Court were held in . . . — Map (db m16937) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — 067-5 — Fort Daniel
Fort Daniel was completed in 1813 to protect the frontier from Indians aroused by the British during the War of 1812. Presumably named for General Allen Daniel, the fort was garrisoned by the 25th Regiment of Georgia Militia. To further protect the . . . — Map (db m26485) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers
In honor of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers “Pioneers of Recorded Traditional Stringband Music” Gid Tanner lived in Dacula from 1922-1960, recording from March 1924 until March 1934. The group’s “Million Seller” . . . — Map (db m112329) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — Hog Mountain Baptist ChurchOrganized January 14, 1854
Eleven charter members first met near what was known as the Hog Mountain House eight miles N.E. of Lawrenceville to organize the church. The church was organized by Elder David H. Moncrief and Elder Amos Hadaway. The first building was erected in . . . — Map (db m19075) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — The Dr. William Hinton House
The Homeplace of W. T. “Dr. Will” Hinton Built 1905 - Relocated 2007 — Map (db m112545) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — 67-1 — Home of Alice Harrell Strickland - Georgia's First Woman Mayor
Alice Harrell Strickland (1859-1947) and her husband Henry built this home in 1898. The Stricklands raised seven children before Henry’s death in 1917. Mrs. Strickland then became a community leader. With her service as Mayor of Duluth in 1922-23, . . . — Map (db m21583) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — Passenger Coach No. 3780
This all-steel passenger coach was built for the Southern Railway System by the Bethlehem Steel Corporation in 1924. It has a seating capacity of 72. Withdrawn from service in 1959 for presentation by the Southern Railway System to this rail . . . — Map (db m113842) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — 067-2A — Peachtree Road
At Fort Daniel on Hog Mountain, about 12 miles NE, began the original Peachtree Road to the village of Standing Peachtree on the Chattahoochee River. This old road was opened to haul military supplies to the river. These were to be floated . . . — Map (db m21577) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — Spreader #JX635
Built: 1926 Builder: O.F. Jordan Company Built For: MacDougald Construction Co. Class: Knuckle Brace Weight: 85,000 lbs The Spreader was a railroad car designed to spread or shape ballast profiles as well as clear snow in winter. The . . . — Map (db m113897) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — Steam Locomotion at High Tide!
Steam Locomotion at High Tide! "Born of a railroad, Atlanta grew as its railroads grew." Margaret Mitchell in "Gone With The Wind." In March 1926, the 290, a Pacific type 4-6-2 steam passenger engine, was delivered to the Atlanta and . . . — Map (db m113844) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — The History of the Miniature Train CompanyThe Southeastern Railway Museum
Many of us can fondly recall the small train sets that operated at fairs, zoos, parks and yes, even the occasional drive in theater. Trains such as this reached their peak popularity during the 1950s & 1960s. Several years ago, two such part . . . — Map (db m70643) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — US 29 F-5 — Birthplace of Bill Arp
The beloved Charles Henry Smith, was born here June 15, 1826. He married Mary Hutchins of Lawrenceville in 1849; began his law practice and moved to Rome in 1851. Major, Confederate Army. His Nom de plume, “Bill Arp,” was first used in . . . — Map (db m14085) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-1 — Button Gwinnett
Button Gwinnett, for whom this county was named, was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1735, the son of a Church of England minister. He worked in the store of his father-in-law in Dexter for two years, then as an importer and exporter for three . . . — Map (db m84791) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Confederate Veterans of Gwinnett County, Georgia1861-1865 — Lest We Forget —
In remembrance of the citizens of Gwinnett County who honorably served the Confederate States of America "Any people with contempt for their heritage have lost faith in themselves and no nation can long survive without . . . — Map (db m85724) WM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Freeman's Mill
Freeman's MillWelcome to Freeman's Mill, the last operating gristmill in Gwinnett County. From the late 1860s to 1986, Freeman's Mill provided wheat flour, corn meal and feed meal for the county's residents and their animals. Its pond afforded . . . — Map (db m114273) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-2B — Garrard’s Cavalry Raid
On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hq. 2nd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen. Kenner Garrard, was in Decatur, 6 miles E of Atlanta. Garrard’s three brigades were guarding bridges over the . . . — Map (db m84574) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-4 — Gwinnett County
Created in 1818 from Cherokee and Creek cessions, Gwinnett is an original county. Courts, elections, and sheriff sales were held, first, in the home of Elisha Winn, 1 mile east of the Appalachee River. Selected to buy a permanent site for the county . . . — Map (db m16916) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — In Tribute to Ezzard CharlesHeavyweight Boxing Champion of the World — 1949-1951 —
Native son of Lawrenceville, Ga. July 7, 1921 May 28, 1975 Gentleman Sportsman Champion — Map (db m85722) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-6 — Lawrenceville Female Seminary
The first building erected on this property was completed July 31, 1838 to house the Lawrenceville Female Seminary. The Reverend John S. Wilson was elected first president of the Board of Trustees. The Seminary commenced operations on September 24, . . . — Map (db m23490) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Memorial to the Fallen of 1836
In memory of Gwinnett Company of Mounted Volunteers, under the command of Capt. Hammond Garmany who were slain by Creek Indians 9 June 1836 in a Battle at Shepherd's Plantation in Stewart County: Ens. Isaac Lacy Sgt. James E. . . . — Map (db m85721) HM WM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 001 — Richard Dickinson Winn
Side 1: Richard Dickinson Winn, a son of Elisha and Judith Cochran Winn, was born January 14, 1816. Gwinnett’s first county elections and court sessions were held at his childhood home near Hog Mountain. Winn served as a Justice of the . . . — Map (db m23541) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — The Home of Major William E. Simmons
William E. Simmons, one of Gwinnett County’s foremost citizens, was born in Lawrenceville on August 26, 1839. After graduating at the top of his class from Emory College, he assumed editorship of the Lawrenceville News. In 1861, he became an officer . . . — Map (db m16958) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Watering Trough 1873
The First Courthouse Was Built On This Site Between 1823 And 1824 And There Was A Well On The Southwest Corner. People Came By Horse And Buggy To The Courthouse To Conduct Business And So A Wooden Watering Trough For Horses Was Provided . . . — Map (db m85719) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — "Holy Row"
Sunset Drive, originally known as Church Street, and later “Holy Row” has a long and storied past. On November 5, 1875 Norman Flavius Cooledge, an educator, bought the parcel of land (currently the site of the Summerour House) on the . . . — Map (db m44073) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — Brunswick HotelCirca 1870
On this site in 1870, the Brunswick Hotel was constructed. The Hotel was three stories high with wide porches on the first two stories. It had 29 rooms and a restaurant. The Hotel was a destination spot for vacationing Atlantans wanting to escape . . . — Map (db m14091) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — Historic Baptist ChurchCirca 1884
On May 17, 1872, seventeen people convened in the Community House on Church Street or “Holy Row,” now called Sunset Drive, in the fledgling town of Norcross. During the meeting, this inspired group organized The Baptist Church of Christ . . . — Map (db m16961) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — National Register of Historic Places – City of Norcross
The Norcross Historic District has been preserved as a 19th century railroad town, and its historical significance has been recognized by the U. S. Department of the Interior through its listing on the National Register of Historic Places on . . . — Map (db m35039) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — Site of Norcross Presbyterian Church Circa 1899
Originally chartered in 1833 by the Fairview Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville, the church was originally located at the intersection of Beaver Ruin Road and Hopkins Mill Road on land donated by Thomas H. Jones and was known as the Goshen . . . — Map (db m23285) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — Thrasher ParkNamed for the Founder of Norcross
Norcross was chartered in 1870 through its founder, J.J. "Cousin John" Thrasher, and named for his good friend, Jonathon Norcross, the fourth mayor (1851) of Atlanta. "Cousin John" purchased tracts of land which he subdivided and sold as lots along . . . — Map (db m12880) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Suwanee — Aviation Tragedy
In the evening hours of December 6, 1953 four F-84D jet aircraft of 128th Fighter Bomber Squadron of the Georgia Air National Guard crashed near this site. They were returning from a routine weekend training flight from the Miami area when they . . . — Map (db m9598) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Suwanee — Suwanee, Georgia 9/11 Memorial
Remembrance Our world can be reshaped in a single day. September 11, 2001 was such a day. This memorial includes a stainless steel sculpture depicting an aerial view of Lower Manhattan, historic timeline of the day's events, and a . . . — Map (db m85735) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-1 — Blair Line
The historic Blair line between the State of Georgia and the Cherokee Nation crossed this highway at this point. This line was surveyed by James Blair in the early 1800’s. It ran from the forks of the Soque and Chattahoochee rivers in a direct . . . — Map (db m43670) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — Clarkesville War Memorial
All Gave Much These Gave All — Map (db m90210) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-8 — Grace Protestant Episcopal Church
The first Episcopal service in Clarkesville was held Oct. 28, 1838 by the Rev. Mr. Ezra B. Kellogg, sent from N. Y. to the Diocese of Georgia as a missionary to this section. On Dec. 12, 1838, at his home, Grace Church was organized for three local . . . — Map (db m14384) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-8 — Habersham County
Habersham County was created by Acts of the Legislature, Dec. 15, 1818, and named for Joseph Habersham (1751–1815), of Savannah, who had a summer home near Clarkesville. He served in the Revolution as a Lieut. Col. in the Ga. Continental line; . . . — Map (db m40283) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-11 — Living & Learning In The Mountains
Three local citizens, W. M. Loggans, B. B. Heyward and W. P. Furr, donated 300 acres of prime farm land to entice location of the Ninth District School of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, a boarding high school, on this site. Since 1906, thousands . . . — Map (db m14522) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-7 — Summer Home of Joseph Habersham
This was the summer home of Joseph Habersham of Savannah (1751-1815), Georgia patriot, Revolutionary War hero, and political leader. He was a Colonel in the Continental Army, a member of Continental Congress, and of the Georgia Convention that . . . — Map (db m43697) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-4 — The Unicoi Turnpike← →
The Unicoi Turnpike, first vehicular route to connect North Georgia and Tennessee with the head of navigation on the Savannah River system, passed here. Beginning on the Tugalo River to the east of Toccoa, the road led this way, thence across . . . — Map (db m43671) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-9 — Toombs-Bleckley House
On this site Colonel S. A. Wales built a house in 1833. Robert A. Toombs (1810-1885). United States Congressman, Senator, and Secretary of State, of the Confederate States, purchased it in 1879 for a summer home. General Toombs sold the property to . . . — Map (db m27956) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Cornelia — Hilliard Almond WilbanksMemorial-Medal of Honor Recipient
Memorial to Hilliard Almond Wilbanks-Awarded the Medal of Honor in the name of Congress. Rank-Captain United States Air Force; Organization-21st Tactical Air Support Squadron, Nha Trang Air Force Base; Mortally Wounded-near Dalat, Republic of . . . — Map (db m62192) WM
Georgia (Habersham County), Cornelia — 068-2 — Indian War Trail
This highway runs along the divide between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. On the south the waters run into the Broad and Savannah rivers to the Atlantic Ocean. Waters on the north run into Chattahoochee and Apalachicola rivers and the . . . — Map (db m21065) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — 068-5 — Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co.<------<<<<
On the site of the Habersham Cotton Mills stood the Habersham Iron Works and Manufacturing Co., incorporated in late 1837 when this section of the state was Indian country. Jarvis Van Buren, a cousin of President Martin Van Buren and a pioneer . . . — Map (db m15310) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — 068-11 — Home of Johnny Mize“The Big Cat”
National Baseball Hall of Fame member John Robert Mize was born in this house in 1913. While only 15 years old and still in high school, Mize launched his distinguished baseball career playing for Piedmont College. He began his major league career . . . — Map (db m23665) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — John Robert Mize" The Big Cat "
Born and raised in Demorest, Mr. Mize was a keen-eyed slugger who smashed 359 home runs and batted 312 in 15-year career while topping 300 mark nine seasons in a row. Set major loop records by hitti8ng three homers 8n a game six times and trio in . . . — Map (db m56250) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — 068-12 — Piedmont College
Piedmont College is an accredited, independent, coeducational, liberal arts college, open to all regardless of race, sex, or creed. Founded under auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the College was chartered September 6, 1897 by Habersham . . . — Map (db m56248) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Flowery Branch — Gen. Andrew Jackson
. . . — Map (db m40837) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Flowery Branch — 069-5 — Jackson at Young's Tavern
At Young’s Tavern, 12 room log home of Robert Young, where travelers frequently stopped for lodging, Andrew Jackson, his staff and two companies of militia, spent a night on their way to the Seminole Campaign in 1818. General Jackson followed the . . . — Map (db m25030) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Flowery Branch — 069-3 — Old Federal Road
The route leading west from this point is the Old Federal Road, an early thoroughfare which linked Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Rights to open the passage were granted informally by the Indians in 1803 and confirmed by treaty in . . . — Map (db m24718) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Flowery Branch — The Flowery Branch Depot
Cotton, leather and furniture, as well as manufactured items from the region passed through these walls, as did passengers during its working years (c.1890-1970s) as a Richmond & Danville Railroad and Southern Railway System Depot. Sold to the City . . . — Map (db m27951) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Bicentennial Park
This marker and plaza proudly acknowledges the significant contributions of John William Morrow, Jr., and countless citizens for the betterment of this community. Born in 1918 in Hall County, John W. Morrow, Jr., graduated Booker T. Washington . . . — Map (db m25993) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902
“You triumphed over obstacles which would have overcome men less brave and determined” President McKinley Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 By Department of Georgia National Auxiliary United Spanish War Veterans . . . — Map (db m60433) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Dr. Emmett Ethridge Butler1908-1955
Dr. Emmett Ethridge Butler was born in Jefferson, Georgia, and reared in Macon. He was graduated from Morehouse College and the Meharry Medical College. He and his family moved to Gainesville in 1936 where he established his medical practice. . . . — Map (db m14530) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Federal BuildingU.S. Courthouse — Gainesville, Georgia —
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places January 24, 1974 James Knox Taylor Architect 1909 This property significantly contributes to the nations cultural heritage Commemorated June 1976 Gerald R. Ford . . . — Map (db m60453) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — HCHS-2 — First Private Mint Templeton Reid Mint1830-1831
Two hundred yards west, on the north side of Washington Street is the site of the first private mint in the United States to manufacture gold coins in dollar values. During the Georgia gold rush, trade suffered due to a shortage of sound money. . . . — Map (db m14882) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — George WashingtonFather of Our Country
Commander In-Chief of the American Army 1775–1783 First President of the United Sates - 1789–1797 First in war, first in peace, First in the hearts of his countrymen Lyman Hall Chapter – Sons of The American Revolution . . . — Map (db m87464) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — HCHS-1 — Hall County Sesquicentennial
In memory of the pioneer citizens who gave a great heritage to this area, this plaque was presented December 19, 1968 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the creation of Hall County, 44th county of Georgia. Named for Lyman Hall, one of the three . . . — Map (db m23154) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Henry O. Ward1926-2000
Henry O. Ward earned the singular distinction of serving both as Mayor of the City of Gainesville and the Chairman of the Hall County Board of Commissioners. The youngest son of H. Bryce Ward and Sadie Bell Braselton Ward of Braselton, he spent . . . — Map (db m26061) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — James Longstreet
In the military service of the United States 1838 to 1861, Brigadier General Confederate States Army June 1861, Promoted Major General May 1862, Promoted Lieutenant General September 1862, Commanding First Corps Army of Northern Virginia to April 9, . . . — Map (db m87467) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Jesse Jewell1902 - 1975
Jesse Dickson Jewell was born in Gainesville, attended the University of Alabama and Georgia Tech, then returned to his hometown in 1922 to work in the family’s feed, seed and fertilizer business. Encouraging area farmers to raise chickens, he . . . — Map (db m23152) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — 069-1 — Lt.-Gen. James Longstreet
This was the post-war home of General Longstreet, whom General Lee called his “Old War Horse”. Born in South Carolina January 8, 1821, Longstreet grew up at Augusta. The family moved to Alabama, and he entered West Point from that . . . — Map (db m25281) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — 069-2 — Lyman Hall
Lyman Hall (1725-90), one of three Georgia signers of the Declaration of Independence, was born in Connecticut but moved to Georgia when young. Member of the Savannah Conventions, 1774-75, and very influential in Georgia’s joining in American . . . — Map (db m25284) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — Site of the Home of General James Longstreet
Lee’s “Old War Horse.” — Map (db m60424) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — The Historic Jackson Building
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m131692) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — 069-7 — The Historic Piedmont Hotel
The Piedmont Hotel was constructed here just prior to the opening of the nearby railroad in 1873. Primarily a summer resort, the three-story hotel was a rambling, U-shaped structure with 30 rooms. A large dinning room and kitchen adjoined the . . . — Map (db m23476) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — 069-6 — Two Georgia Governors
In Alta Vista Cemetery, two Georgia governors, both officers in the Confederate Army, are buried. JAMES MILTON SMITH (1823-1890). A lawyer, he entered the Civil War as Captain of the 13th Ga. Inf. and rose to the rank of Colonel. Resigning from . . . — Map (db m14392) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Gainesville — U.D.C. Confederate Soldiers Monument
(front) Our Confederate Soldiers To the defenders of the Confederacy, patriots The record of whose fortitude and heroism in the service of their country is the proud heritage of a loyal posterity. "Tell ye . . . — Map (db m87466) WM
Georgia (Hall County), Oakwood — 069-4 — Historic Redwine
Co. D, 27th Ga. Inf., Colquitt’s Brig., CSA, organized here in early 1861, fought at Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Seven Days Battles. At South Mtn., Md., Sept. 14, 1862, against great odds, men of this Co. withstood four attacks by a heavy force of . . . — Map (db m24975) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Devereux — 070-8 — Gov. Charles James McDonald<-- 4.2 mi. --<<<
In this area stood the home of Charles James McDonald, elected Governor of Georgia in 1839 and 1841. "Fearless and guided by practical wisdom and integrity," he was Solicitor-General of the Flint circuit. Judge of the Superior Court, State . . . — Map (db m48941) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Powelton — 070-9 — Gov. William Rabun3 mi. →
The home of William Rabun, Governor of Georgia 1817-1819. Born in Halifax County, N.C., April 8, 1771, Governor Rabun moved to Wilkes Co., Ga., in 1785. Having the usual backwoods schooling of his day, he acquired by reading and observation, . . . — Map (db m13347) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Powelton — 070-10 — Powelton Baptist Church
The Powelton Baptist Church, first known as Powell´s Creek Church, was constituted July 1st, 1786, with 26 members by the Rev. Silas Mercer, the Rev. John Harvey, and the Rev. John Thomas. The Rev. Jesse Mercer became pastor of this church on . . . — Map (db m13346) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-5 — "Old Dominion"
At “Old Dominion”, then the home of John Lucas, in late December 1806, the first meeting of the Methodist North Georgia Conference was held. Although Sparta then was the extreme western appointment in the conference, preachers came from . . . — Map (db m55552) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — “July” 1858The Original July Foxhound
In July 1858 an Irish Foxhound arrived in Georgia as a gift from the noted hunter, Nimrod Gosnell of Roxbury Mills, Maryland to Colonel Miles G. Harris of Hancock County. The male puppy was named “July.” Col. Harris invited fox hunters . . . — Map (db m9486) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — Glen Mary "The Temple on the Hill"Built Circa 1848
Confederate Colonel Theophilus Jackson Smith built Glen Mary as a gift to his wife, Mary Salome Gonder. The estate would become a major cotton producer in Middle Georgia before the Civil War. The house is considered by many as the finest Greek . . . — Map (db m106811) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-7 — Gov. William Jonathan Northen
William Jonathan Northen, Governor of Georgia from 1890 to 1894, lived in this house. Born in Jones County, July 9, 1835 of Scotch ancestry, Governor Northen graduated from Mercer University. He taught for many years at Mt. Zion School in Hancock . . . — Map (db m24076) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-3 — Hancock County
Hancock County, created by Act of Dec. 17, 1793, was named for John Hancock of Mass., President of Continental Congress and the first man to sign the Declaration of Independence. It has been the home of 4 Governors of Ga. -- William Rabun, Charles . . . — Map (db m24332) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-12 — Nathan S.S. Beman at Mt. Zion(Nov. 26, 1785 - Aug. 6, 1871)
Nathan Sidney Beman, Presbyterian minister, educator, editor, college president, after graduating from Middlebury College, Vermont, taught and preached in New England until 1812, when he came with his wife to Georgia to regain his health. “A . . . — Map (db m24083) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-2 — Old Eagle Tavern
The Eagle Tavern, built in the late 18th century, once stood on the site of the present Lafayette Hotel. A stage coach stop on the Augusta to Macon line, the tavern owned by a Mr. A. Abercrombie was the scene of a great ball held for the Marquis de . . . — Map (db m24334) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-10 — Pierce Memorial Methodist Church
The first regular appointment for Sparta as a preaching place on a circuit was in 1799 with George Dougherty, one of the great preachers of the period as pastor. In 1802, Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the courthouse. In 1806, the South . . . — Map (db m48905) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-11 — Rockby<------<<<<
About 1 mi. from here, Richard Malcolm Johnston, lawyer, educator, and author, operated Rockby, a school for boys revolutionary in its day. Disgusted with the harsh disciplinary methods of the time, Johnston instituted an honor system whereby . . . — Map (db m24172) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-6 — Shoulder-bone Creek Treaty
Near the mouth of Shoulder-bone Creek on the banks of the Oconee River a treaty of "amity, peace and commerce" was signed by eight commissioners representing the State of Georgia and 59 head men of the Creek Confederation, November 3, 1786. Among . . . — Map (db m48972) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-4 — Sparta
Sparta, Seat of Justice for Hancock County in 1795, became a chartered town, Dec. 3, 1803. Situated at an Indian trading post, in constant danger of border trouble, the town was named Sparta to indicate the bravery of its pioneer citizens. In 1864 . . . — Map (db m24343) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 70-2 — Sparta Cemetery
The main cemetery in Sparta was established on property deeded to the town in 1806. Burials illustrate a common nineteenth-century pattern of migration to the area, as settlers from New England and Virginia moved south and west through the Carolinas . . . — Map (db m13378) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Spata — 070-1 — Famous Indian Trail
The Upper Trading Path, one of the historic Indian ways of the Southeast, passed here, leading westward from present Augusta to tribes as far away as the Mississippi River. By various connections the route reached the Muscogees of Western Georgia . . . — Map (db m48878) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), White Plains — 70-1 — Camilla and Zack Hubert Homesite
Zack Hubert, a former Warren County slave, moved here with his family in 1871. The Huberts were among the first African-American landowners in central Georgia and played influential roles in the area´s African-American community. They named their . . . — Map (db m49413) HM
Georgia (Haralson County), Buchanan — 071-1 — Haralson County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Jan. 26, 1856, is named for Gen. Hugh A. Haralson, Member of Congress and Chairman of the Committee on Military Affairs during the Mexican War. The County Site is named for James Buchanan, last . . . — Map (db m11177) HM
Georgia (Haralson County), Tallapoosa — 071-3 — Historic Tallapoosa
Tallapoosa was a place of great ceremonial importance to the Indians. Here in 1826 settlers discovered “Charles Town,” an Indian Village named for one of their great warriors. Several Indian trails intersected here and the Choctaw, Creek . . . — Map (db m11142) HM
Georgia (Haralson County), Tallapoosa — Sandtown Trail
This road was originally the Sandtown Trail traveled by several tribes of Creek Indians. It connected Sandtown on the Chattahoochee River near Atlanta, Ga. with another Sandtown in Tallapoosa Co., Ala. Later became Old Ala. Road over which early . . . — Map (db m11176) HM
Georgia (Haralson County), Tallapoosa — Seven Chestnuts
On this site under seven chestnut trees the Creek Indians held their council meetings. — Map (db m11148) HM
Georgia (Haralson County), Waco — 071-2 — Hungarian Colony
In 1888, three wine-making communities were founded here on some 2000 acres. A local land developer, Ralph L. Spencer, invited some 200 Hungarian wine-making families to settle this region. They named their largest community BUDAPEST, in honor of . . . — Map (db m11137) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Cataula — 072-12 — Kingsboro & Cataula
At KINGSBORO, 3 mi. S., Ga.’s first narrow gauge railroad (North & South RR), chartered in 1870 (Columbus to Rome), ended in 1873. CATAULA (Big Rock) is a Creek name. Clowers Meth. Church, organized as “Providence” in 1829, was built of . . . — Map (db m22419) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Ellerslie — 072-5 — The Wire Road»—→
This road marks the route of the first telegraph lines from Washington to New Orleans, via Columbus, completed in 1848. The road entered Harris County at Mount Airy (later Ridgeway), 5 miles from here. A stagecoach inn, stores, houses, and schools . . . — Map (db m22377) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Fortson — 072-10 — Bartlett's Ferry Dam; Antioch Baptist Church<-- 1 ½ MI. --<
Rev. Simpson Wilson Barley (1827-1884), minister and doctor, operated a ferry, known as Bartley’s Ferry, 1 ½ miles west on the Chattahoochee River. He preached at the nearby Antioch Baptist Church, one of the earliest in this section, and is . . . — Map (db m36165) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Fortson — Camp McKenzie
Side 1: On this site was Camp McKenzie, a 350 acre tract used for approximately 75 years as the official campsite for the local councils of the Boy Scouts of America. Under the leadership of W. W. McKenzie and Fred H. Schomburg, together with . . . — Map (db m22475) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Fortson — Mountain Hill District Consolidated School
(Side 1): This handsome Colonel Revival structure, completed in 1930, served the educational needs of children in the western half of Harris County from 1930 through 1989. The building, which consolidated several one- and two-room schools, . . . — Map (db m41817) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — B. F. White--1800-1879--
Song writer, teacher, editor, lived in Hamilton, 1843-c.1868, was mayor, 1865. Near this spot in 1844 he published Sacred Harp, a “fa-sol-la” acappella singing school book now in its 14th edition. White taught in a local academy, . . . — Map (db m22451) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — 072-4 — Columbus Baptist Association
The Columbus Baptist Association was organized November 22, 1829 at Mulberry Meeting House (then New Hope), 10 miles from here, at Mulberry Grove. Twelve churches reporting from Talbot. Harris, and Muscogee Counties formed this Association, Churches . . . — Map (db m14445) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — Hamilton Female College
The Hamilton Female College was chartered in 1853 in southern Harris County. It was located on what was known as College Hill. Asbury Johnston and Stephen A. Borders donated the property for the college. The Hamilton Female College was the first . . . — Map (db m22420) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — 72-1 — Harris County
This county, created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 14 & 24, 1827, is named for Charles Harris, eminent Savannah jurist. Born in England and educated in France, he served Savannah as Alderman or Mayor for 20 years, refusing higher offices. The . . . — Map (db m22825) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — 072-3 — U.S.S. Harris County
This bell was presented to Harris County by LST 822, U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY, commissioned Nov. 23, 1944. Carrying the commander of LST Group 68, she led fourteen convoys through enemy waters without a casualty. LST U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY participated . . . — Map (db m22826) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — 072-7 — “This Was His Georgia”
During the 21 years (1924–1945) in which he was a constant visitor to Warm Springs, GA., Franklin D. Roosevelt became familiar with the scenic beauties of field & forest in the environs. The splendid isolation of Dowdell’s Knob, with its . . . — Map (db m43137) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Bethany Baptist Church
SIDE 1: Bethany Baptist Church was chartered on Sept. 8, 1828. The six charter members were James Garrett, Levin Collins, Uriah Jones, Lucy Garrett, Catherine Simmons and Mary Jones. The first pastor, John W. Cooper, served from 1828 to . . . — Map (db m22411) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Callaway Gardens
(Side 1): Callaway Gardens was founded in 1952 by Cason Callaway, Sr. and his wife Virginia Callaway, for the purpose of preserving the native flora of the southern United Sates in a natural setting for the public to enjoy. At one time, . . . — Map (db m22837) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Chipley - Pine Mountain, Georgia
Chipley was incorporated on December 9, 1882, following the extension of the Columbus and Rome Railroad one mile north of the Village of Hood. Old Hood was the predecessor of Chipley. Chipley was named after Colonel W. D. Chipley, a partner in the . . . — Map (db m59012) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — 072-6 — Dowdell's Knob<------<<<<
The road extending one mile south traverses a spur which projects into Pine Mountain Valley and terminates in a knob 1395 feet elevation above sea level overlooking a spectacular spread of the valley floor. The knob was named for two pioneer Harris . . . — Map (db m22013) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Franklin D. Rooseveltand Dowdell's Knob
This overlook, named Dowdell's Knob, was one of the dearest spots on earth to Franklin D. Roosevelt. Named for an early Harris County family, Dowdell's Knob rises to 1,395 feet above sea level and is the highest point on Pine Mountain. Here,on this . . . — Map (db m69519) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — 072-8 — Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial Bridge
Pine Mountain Scenic Highway & this bridge, spanning historic King’s Gap, are living monuments to President Roosevelt’s abiding interest in the natural features of Warm Springs’ environs. He, personally, selected the location of this road atop Pine . . . — Map (db m22020) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Pioneer Log Cabin
Constructed from hand-hewn longleaf pine logs. Built around 1830 during the settlement of Troup County, Georgia. Moved to its present location in 1959. — Map (db m107904) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Smokehouse
A Smokehouse is a structure used to cure meat and fish. It is typically a small building with no windows where meat is smoked and stored. A slow burning fire dries the meat over a period that can range from a few hours to a few weeks. . . . — Map (db m107905) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Sunnyside School, Midway Baptist Church and Midway Cemetery Historic District
The community building and spaces in the Sunnyside/Midway Historic District reflect rural Harris County in the 1920’s. Sunnyside School was built by local residents in 1921 to consolidate several one-room schools. It was used as an elementary and . . . — Map (db m36190) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — The Iron Horse
In 1879, the Columbus to Rome railroad made its way over Pine Mountain to the village of Hood which had been established by Colonel W. D. Chipley. After two years, Hood vanished almost overnight due to a dispute over land titles. W. D. Chipley then . . . — Map (db m56780) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — The J.L. Hand Gazebo
The handsome gazebo was given in loving memory of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Hand and placed in the Gardens in January, 1972. Constructed of longleaf pine, it was originally the belvedere atop the now demolished J. L. Hand home in Pelham, Georgia, the . . . — Map (db m70847) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — 072-7 — This Was His Georgia
Franklin D. Roosevelt was a frequent visitor (41 trips) to Warm Springs from 1924-1945. Dowdell’s Knob was one of his favorite spots for both quiet contemplation and picnics. F.D.R. visited this spot overlooking Pine Mountain Valley as a private . . . — Map (db m21998) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Wildflower Trail
A desire to restore land eroded by years of cotton farming and a wish to protect the rare and beautiful Plumleaf Azalea led Cason and Virginia Callaway to create Callaway Gardens. The Wildflower Trail was established to preserve and display native . . . — Map (db m107907) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain Valley — 072-13 — Pine Mountain Valley Resettlement Project
The Resettlement Administration was founded on May 1, 1935 as part of the second phase of President Roosevelt's New Deal. FDR took a personal interest in the planning of this project with Under Secretary of Agriculture, Dr. Rex Tugwell, . . . — Map (db m11269) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain Valley — Valley of Hope
Pine Mountain Valley, Georgia was begun in November 1934 under the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal plan. It was conceived as a pilot community relief project to provide an escape from the effects of the Great Depression. . . . — Map (db m11271) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Waverly Hall — Lucy Laney Elementary School
Side 1: On this site, in 1954, Lucy Laney Elementary School was opened with the mission of educating black children in the Waverly Hall, Shiloh, Ellerslie, and surrounding areas. The school was named in honor of Lucy Craft Laney, a . . . — Map (db m58971) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Waverly Hall — 072-2 — Waverly Hall
This town was named by its first postmaster. William Osborne, appointed February 2, 1829. In 1827, Mt. Zion Methodist Church was built 1 ½ miles E. on the Old Indian Trail and Stagecoach Road from the Flint River via Talbotton and Waverly Hall . . . — Map (db m50926) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Whitesville — 072-11 — Whitesville
Incorporated in 1837 and named for the pioneer “White” family, Whitesville was the site of a stagecoach stop, inn, and stores on a branch of the Oakfuskee Indian Trail. This early road continued across the Chattahoochee River at Dobb’s . . . — Map (db m21026) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Whitesville — Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South
(Side 1): The Methodist church in Whitesville had its origins about 1828 in meetings held at the home of Reuben Mobley. The First Methodist Church was founded in the early 1830s and by 1837 the decision was made to erect a church for the . . . — Map (db m22898) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Canon — Goldmine
Goldmine Consolidated School was created by the combination of Sandy Grove and Old Goldmine Schools in 1924. It’s size was augmented by Duncan’s pupils when the school was closed in the early 1930s. Grades one through nine were taught in a new brick . . . — Map (db m39431) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Canon — 073-2 — Redwine Church»→
Redwine Church was apparently founded prior to 1800 & named after Jacob R. Redwine, Revolutionary soldier born in Pa. who moved here from N.C. This is the 4th church, built in 1906. The first was a log cabin several hundred yards west near the old . . . — Map (db m38515) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — 073-3 — “Center of the World”»—→
This was Ah-Yeh-Li A-Lo-Hee, the Center of the World, to the Cherokee Indians. To this assembly ground, from which trails radiate in many directions, they came to hold their councils, to dance and worship which were to them related functions, and to . . . — Map (db m38518) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — Cherokee Assembly Ground
Cherokee Assembly Ground Ah-Yeh-Li A-Lo-Hee (Center of the World) — Map (db m38592) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — 073-4 — Hart County
Hart County was created by the Legislature on Dec. 7, 1853 out of portions of Franklin and Elbert counties. It is the only county in Georgia named for a woman - Nancy Hart. Nancy Hart and her husband, Benjamin Hart, obtained a 400 acre grant . . . — Map (db m21343) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — Hart County Confederate Monument
In Loving Memory of our Hart County Soldiers — Map (db m21391) WM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — Hart County Veterans of Foreign Wars Monument
In Honor and Memory of All Hart County Veterans of Foreign Wars by V.F.W. & Ladies Auxiliary Post 8076 [V.F.W. Cross of Malta]Map (db m51285) WM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — Hart County World War I Memorial
In Memoriam of the Hart County Soldiers who served in the World War, 1917-19. These lost their lives. John W. Adams • James B. Estes • Owen J. Alford • John R. Heaton • George W. Cason • Oscar B. McCurley • Preston B. Carter • . . . — Map (db m21390) WM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — Hart County World War II & Korean War Memorial
In loving memory of those who have made the supreme sacrifice and in honor of those who served. Dedicated this eleventh day of November nineteen hundred ninety by the citizens of Hart County and American Legion Post 109. — Map (db m61728) WM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — Louie Morris Memorial BridgeJanuary 17 , 1893 - May 10 , 1955
Formerly located upsteam 2 miles at Old Brown's Ferry Relocated 1958 Louie Morris Bridge Erected by the Highway Departments of South Carolina and Georgia, in co-operation with the U.S. Bureau Of Public Roads. Named in . . . — Map (db m21562) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — Nancy Hart
Erected by the Government of The United States in the Year 1931 to commemorate the heroism of Nancy Hart During the American Revolution a party of British Tories came to her home. Single handed she killed one and wounded another. The . . . — Map (db m21388) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — 073-1 — Parkertown - 1832
Parkertown was founded in 1832 in what was then Franklin County, now Hart County, by Joseph A. Parker who was born in Virginia in 1774 and moved to Elbert County, Ga. in 1796. He later moved to Big Shoal Creek where Jacob Parker & Co. founded by his . . . — Map (db m45081) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — The Broken V1959 Vietnam 1975
Center The Broken V Symbolizes The Casualties Broken Dreams. Promises and Plans Dedicated November 15, 1987 by Hart County Citizens to Honor The memory of the Six Hart County Men whose patronage never dimmed: Whose Loyalty never . . . — Map (db m21387) WM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — Veterans of All Wars
Dedicated to the glory of God and to the veterans of all wars. — Map (db m61732) WM
Georgia (Heard County), Franklin — 074-4 — Benjamin Hawkins<------<<<<
“The Beloved Man of the Four Nations” to the Creeks, Benjamin Hawkins (1754 - 1816) was appointed Indian agent by President Washington. Soldier, Congressman, Senator, he determined with firmness and kindness to guide the Indians toward . . . — Map (db m33030) HM
Georgia (Heard County), Franklin — 074-3 — Franklin Baptist Church<------<<<<
The Franklin Baptist Church was organized December 2, 1842 with 37 members. The founders included Elder Mitchell Bennett, Jesse Moon, James Davis and James Spurlin. Elder Robert Fleming served as pastor during the first year. The first church . . . — Map (db m32711) HM
Georgia (Heard County), Franklin — 059-2 — Franklin Methodist Church
This, the Franklin Methodist Church, erected in 1831, is one of the earliest permanent church buildings in this area. Constructed of 12x12 handhewn pine beams, the church has been extensively remodelled through the years except the steeple, which . . . — Map (db m32779) HM
Georgia (Heard County), Franklin — 074-1 — Heard County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature December 22, 1830, is named for Hon. Stephen Heard, elected President of the Council Feb. 18, 1781, thus, in the absence of Gov. Howley, becoming Governor de facto. An Englishman who moved to Wilkes Co. . . . — Map (db m33031) HM
Georgia (Heard County), Franklin — Heard County Jail
Pauly Jail Co. of Alabama built this jail in 1912, for $7,500, using plans by Manly Jail Works of Dalton, GA. This jail replaced an 1880 jail that became unfit. The new jail housed up to 16 prisoners upstairs. The County Sheriff (eight sheriffs from . . . — Map (db m61024) HM
Georgia (Henry County), Hampton — "The Old Bronze Gentleman of Lovejoy's Station"Captain Edward Croft's Flying Artillery of Columbus, Georgia
At first light of August 20, 1864, Confederate General Sul Ross’s Texas Cavalry had located Kilpatrick’s retreating Federals near Lee’s Mill and fought their rear guard as they took the road that led southward to the McDonough Road. This road took . . . — Map (db m70136) HM
Georgia (Henry County), Hampton — Kilpatrick's Raid
After the failed McCook and Stoneman raids, Union Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman mounted one last effort to cut Atlanta's railroads with his cavalry. Just before dark, August 18, 1864, Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick led 4,500 troupers of the 2nd and 3rd . . . — Map (db m9843) HM
Georgia (Henry County), Hampton — Kilpatrick's Raid at the Nash FarmAugust 20, 1864
As the last of Minty’s skirmishers withdrew, Kilpatrick and Eli Murray realign King’s 3rd and 5th Kentucky to confront the quiescent Confederate infantry. At the other end of the field, facing the opposite direction, Fielder Jones’ brigade, Captain . . . — Map (db m70151) HM
Georgia (Henry County), Hampton — Locomotive Bell from the Nancy Hanks"The Pride Of The Central Of Georgia Railroad"
The highlight of Ed Waterhouse’s railroad career came in 1892 when he was assigned as engineer of the “Nancy Hanks,” the South’s first non-stop steamliner, and the pride of the Central of Georgia railroad. Running between Atlanta and . . . — Map (db m95146) HM
Georgia (Henry County), Hampton — The "Right Flank" on the McDonough RoadAnd the Campsites of Hood's Army of Tennessee — September 2-18, 1864 —
After Hardee’s & Lee’s Confederate forces lose the first day’s battle at Jonesboro on August 31, 1864, Confederate Lt. General John Bell Hood, inside the fortifications of Atlanta, realizes that the last remaining railroad line that supplied Atlanta . . . — Map (db m70148) WM
Georgia (Henry County), Locust Grove — 075-8 — Locust Grove Institute1894 - 1929
Born in 1894 of a community mass meeting called for the purpose by B. J.W. Graham, Pastor of the Locust Grove Baptist Church, Locust Grove Institute was started as a coeducational school by the citizens of Locust Grove who gave the land and an . . . — Map (db m21341) HM
Georgia (Henry County), Locust Grove — 075-6 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 17, 1864, the right wing of Gen. Sherman’s Army [US] marched from McDonough to Jackson, enroute to Planter’s Factory on the Ocmulgee River, where it was to cross into Jasper County the next day. At this point, Woods’ and Hazen’s divisions of . . . — Map (db m21325) HM

5247 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 3001 through 3201 were listed. Previous 200 Next 2047
Paid Advertisement