Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Missouri

1500 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1300
 
Andrew County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Thomas Onions, December 4, 2010
Andrew County Marker
Missouri (Andrew County), Savannah — Andrew County
Andrew County, organized 1841, is one of 6 counties in the Indian Platte Purchase Territory annexed to Missouri, 1837. Named for Andrew Jackson Davis, St. Louis editor, the county was first settled in the middle 1830’s. Pioneers were from Ohio, . . . — Map (db m39756) HM
Missouri (Andrew County), Savannah — Conglomerate Rock
On Court St. just north of S. 5th Street, on the right when traveling north.
Formed during the Glacial Period. Weighs about a Ton. Removed from Bethel Church Road east of Highway 71 and North of 48 by County in 1941. Removed and placed here by Andrew County and Fred M Clark of Clark Construction Co. in September 1941 for . . . — Map (db m43018) HM
Missouri (Atchison County), Fairfax — Veterans Memorial
On Main Street (U.S. 59) near Denny Street, on the right when traveling west.
To Our Veterans They Shall Have a Noble Memory — Map (db m47490) HM
Missouri (Atchison County), Rock Port — Atchison County Walk of Honor
On Main Street (Missouri Route 111) near Clay Street, on the left when traveling south.
Atchison County Citizens have left and will continue to leave their footprints around the world Bravery • Courage Hope • Duty Liberty • Service Dedicated November 11, 2008 — Map (db m48118) HM
Missouri (Atchison County), Rock Port — Atchison County War Memorial
On Main Street (Missouri Route 111) at Clay Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
To the men and women of Atchison County who offered, and those who gave their lives in the cause of peace. [Roll of Honored Dead] [War Memorial Building Cornerstone] To the boys of Atchison County who gave, and offered their . . . — Map (db m48115) WM
Missouri (Atchison County), Rock Port — Rock Port
On U.S. 136 at Market Street, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 136.
Side A: Here on Rock Creek in Missouri's fertile Glacial Plains, Rock Port was laid out, 1851, by Nathan Meek and succeeded Linden as seat of Atchison County, 1856. A leader in corn production, the county, organized 1845, is named for U.S. . . . — Map (db m48107) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Audrain County Veterans Memorial
On Washington Avenue at Monroe Street, on the left when traveling south on Washington Avenue.
[Honor Rolls] Spanish-American War World War I World War II Korea Vietnam POW's - MIA's Remembered — Map (db m70461) WM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Bean Creek German Evangelical Church and Littleby Methodist Church Bell — "Honor the God on high" — "Ehre den Gott in der Hφhe"
Near Missouri Route 15.
[Title is text] — Map (db m70471) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Bonnot Combined Brick Machine — 1904 • 1926
Near Missouri Route 15.
Here rests a faithful servant of our company retired on account of age after twenty two years of continuous loyal service. It is a Bonnot Combined Brick Machine installed at the East Plant in 1904 and moved to Josephine Plant in 1917. During . . . — Map (db m70494) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Diaspore Boulder — Weight 10,400 Lbs.
Near Missouri Route 15.
This is the largest "surface boulder" of Diaspore found in the Missouri Diaspore Fields lying south of the Missouri River. - It was taken from a diaspora pit near Aud, Osage County, Missouri, in 1926. - Diaspore is a high alumina clay occurring . . . — Map (db m70497) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Graceland — Built 1857
On Muldrow Street (Missouri Route 15) south of Quisenberry Street, on the right when traveling south.
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m70472) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Hardin College Bell — June 1873 - May 1932
Near Missouri Route 15.
[Title is text] Mounted by Hardin College Alumnae November 1984 — Map (db m70468) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — John Bingle Morris
On Jefferson Street at Monroe Street, on the left when traveling north on Jefferson Street.
Born in Ky, Dec. 3, 1806 Married Julia Ann Shumate June 5, 1827 Settled in Mexico, Mo. 1836 Built the first residence and business house Post Master 15, County Clerk 18 and County Judge 16 years Had 18 children Honest, strong . . . — Map (db m70465) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Mexico
On Mudrow Street (Missouri Route 15) at Hisey Street, on the right when traveling south on Mudrow Street.
[Side A] Internationally known for its firebrick industry and famed for its saddle horses, this county seat was laid out by Robert C. Mansfield and James H. Smith not long before Audrain County was organized, 1836. Named for legislator . . . — Map (db m70508) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Missouri Military Academy
Presented to Missouri Military Academy in honor of its One Hundredth Anniversary 1889 - 1989 by the Mexico Area Chamber of Commerce with deep appreciation and grateful recognition of its 100 continuous years of . . . — Map (db m70509) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Old Courthouse Clock Bell — 1868 - 1952
Near Missouri Route 15.
[Title is Text] January 1976 — Map (db m70470) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Old Stones
Near Missouri Route 15.
Acquired 1973 Indian Mortar (Grist) Stone c.1700-1800 [Acquired] 1960 Granite Millstones used in first Audrain County mill 1850 — Map (db m70507) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — Rex McDonald 833 — The World's Champion Saddle Stallion — Born May 20, 1890 • Died Nov. 10, 1913
On Muldrow Street (Missouri Route 15) south of Quisenberry Street, on the right when traveling south.
With his last owner, B. R. Middleton, riding him, defeated every horse ever shown against him. Owned, raised and trained in Audrain County. Sire and Grandsire and Great Grandsire of champions. Most widely known and beloved by saddle horse . . . — Map (db m70492) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — The Churchill Gate
On Clark Street (U.S. 54) at Hendy Street, on the right when traveling north on Clark Street.
On March 5, 1946, at Westminster College in Fulton, MO, Winston Churchill delivered his renowned "Iron Curtain" Speech. Allen P. Green built this gate in anticipation of a visit to his home by the former British Prime Minister and President . . . — Map (db m70531) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — The Green Estate
On Clark Street (U.S. 54) at Hendy Street, on the right when traveling north on Clark Street.
Allen P. Green, with his wife and five children, came to Mexico in 1910 to manage a small, struggling brick plant. He soon bought it and founded the A.P. Green Fire Brick Company. It flourished and by 1937 had become the world's largest . . . — Map (db m70530) HM
Missouri (Audrain County), Mexico — The Missouri Exercise Tiger Army & Navy Anchor Memorial
On Monroe Street at Washington Street, on the left when traveling west on Monroe Street.
Thomas Creed, Jr. Garland Donaldson Ralph T. Earnest D. Dean Ferguson Harry Mettler Lowell Renner Wallace W. Smith James Spurling [Additional Honor Roll of Names] This state memorial honors the men of the United States . . . — Map (db m70462) HM WM
Missouri (Barry County), Cassville — Butterfield Overland Mail in Missouri - 1858-1861
On Main Street (State Road Y) at 7th Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

Cassville, the last town on the route of the Butterfield Mail in Missouri, was not a relay station but the coaches stopped for mail and passengers — Map (db m80212) HM

Missouri (Barry County), Cassville — Secession Convention in Cassville — A State Divided — The Civil War in Missouri
On Main Street.
Between 1855 and 1884, there stood on this square, a two-story brick courthouse that was known as Missouri's "second Confederate capitol." It was here that members of the state legislature gathered between Oct. 29 and Nov. 7, 1861 to complete a . . . — Map (db m44605) HM
Missouri (Barry County), Cassville — Veterans Memorial
On Missouri Route 112.
Dedicated to men and women who serve in the Armed Forces of the United States, during war and peace. We sincerely appreciate your sacrifice and dedication to preserve the freedom of this great nation. God will one day judge our actions. Until then . . . — Map (db m62885)
Missouri (Barry County), Hilltop — Roaring River School
On "No Name" 0.2 miles south of State Highway 112, on the left when traveling south.
This valleys bountiful resources, particularly its abundant water, attracted settlers beginning in the 1820s. The constant rapid flowing of spring-fed Roaring River appealed to millwrights, who saw the opportunities such a reliable source of power . . . — Map (db m68553) HM
Missouri (Barry County), Monett — Christopher G. Stark Memorial
On Monett South Park Walking Trail.
Dedicated to a fallen hero and all Armed Forces Serving and Protecting the United States of America. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13. Under a picture of Specialist . . . — Map (db m62712) WM
Missouri (Barry County), Monett — Veterans Memorial
On S. Lincoln Avenue.
In grateful memory of our Armed Forces Veterans who honored their nation with their service and sacrifices. — Map (db m62806) HM
Missouri (Barry County), Monett — War Memorial

To those who served our country in time of war —————————— They gave their today for our tomorrow — Map (db m80213) WM

Missouri (Barry County), Purdy — Purdy Veteran's Memorial
On 3rd Street.
This monument is dedicated to those who served our country by the people of Purdy, Missouri. We must always remember that by the sacrifices we enjoy our freedom today. Dedicated 2012. — Map (db m62800) WM
Missouri (Barton County), Lamar — Harry S Truman — In Memoriam
On 11th Street near Truman Street, on the left when traveling east.
Born Lamar, Missouri May 8, 1884 Died Kansas City, Missouri December 26, 1972 Patriot - Statesman - Legionnaire First Legionnaire President of the United States This memorial was erected in May 1984 by Legionnaires and Friends of . . . — Map (db m37140) HM
Missouri (Barton County), Lamar — Harry S. Truman — May 8 1884 - Dec. 26, 1972
On Gulf Street, on the right when traveling north.
Birthplace: Lamar, Missouri 32nd President, Apr. 12, 1945-Jan.20, 1953 From this spot Mr. Truman delivered his Vice Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech on August 31, 1944 — Map (db m42287) WM
Missouri (Barton County), Lamar — Harry S. Truman Birthplace Memorial
On 11th Street at Truman Street, on the left when traveling east on 11th Street.
This shrine is dedicated to Harry S. Truman Thirty second [sic] President of the United States of America who was born at this location May 8, 1884 [died] Dec. 26, 1972 "I ask only to be a good and faithful servant of my Lord . . . — Map (db m37113) HM
Missouri (Barton County), Lamar — Lamar
On Gulf Street at 11th Street West, on the right when traveling north on Gulf Street.
Side A Lamar is distinguished as the birthplace of Harry S. Truman, the 33rd President of the United States. The son of John Anderson Truman and Martha Ellen (Young) Truman, he was born May 8, 1884. The family moved to Harrisonville in Cass . . . — Map (db m42286) HM
Missouri (Barton County), Lamar — McCook Post No. 34 G.A.R. Civil War Memorial — Barton County War Memorial
On Broadway at 10th Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway.
On October 1st, 1910, this cannon and original memorial presented to Barton County, Missouri by the members of McCook Post No. 34 G.A.R. Department of Missouri. It was dedicated to the memory of the soldiers and sailors of the Civil War 1861-1865. . . . — Map (db m42302) HM
Missouri (Barton County), Lamar — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
On Broadway at 11th Street, on the left when traveling north on Broadway.
. . . — Map (db m42304) HM
Missouri (Barton County), Liberal — Veterans Memorial — 1776 • 1976
On NW 40th Road (Missouri Route K) at Denton, on the left when traveling east on NW 40th Road.
In Memory of Those Who Served Our Country — Map (db m63675) WM
Missouri (Bates County), Adrian — Lt Charles Garrison Veterans Memorial — All Gave Some - Some Gave All
On Missouri Route 18 0.2 miles east of Exit 141 (Interstate 49), on the right when traveling east.

In memory of Veterans World War I and Veterans World War II

The Perimeter The Perimeter is a place warriors will always seek- even for eternity. Just gaze out at our National Cemeteries, for out there, on the outer . . . — Map (db m81538) WM

Missouri (Bates County), Butler — “First Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry” — They Fought Like Tigers
On Ohio Street at Delaware Street, on the left when traveling west on Ohio Street.
The 1st Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry fought and won the Battle of Island Mound, also known as The Battle at Fort Toothman on October 28 & 29, 1862 in Charlotte Township approx. 7.5 miles southwest of Butler. It is said to have been the only . . . — Map (db m54126) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Arnold Post No. 46 Veterans Memorial
Duty Honor Country Well Done Be Thou At Peace [Seals of the Five Armed Forces] — Map (db m46149) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Arnold Post No. 46 World War Memorial
In memory of the Veterans of the Great World War 1914 - 1918 — Map (db m46144) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Bates County World War I Memorial
On Ohio Street at Delaware Street, on the left when traveling west on Ohio Street.
In Memory of Our World War Veterans Unveiled under auspices of the American Legion Posts of Bates Co. May 30, 1927 — Map (db m39870) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Bates County, Missouri in 1862
Near Marth Road (Road 1002) near Cooper Road (County Road 5001).
Bates County was formed in 1841. Many early settlers came from Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee. The 1860 census listed a population of 6,765 with a slave population of 442. In 1862, the slave population had dropped greatly. Most Bates . . . — Map (db m60614) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Battle of Island Mound Memorial
On Marth Road (County Road 1002) east of Cooper Road (County Road 5001), on the left when traveling west.
Here, on October 29, 1862 was the first crucible to test the mettle of formerly enslaved black men during the Civil War. Here, a group of volunteers faced battle with the certainty of only two outcomes - victory or death - for there would be . . . — Map (db m60581) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Butler History Murals
On Dakota Street at Delaware Street, on the left when traveling east on Dakota Street.
1806 15 Ms. South of Butler Explorer Zebulon Pike Parley With Osage Chief 1863 Burning of Butler by Order No. 11 During the Civil War Where the Civil War Began Brother Against Brother Post Civil War Reconstruction [Mural . . . — Map (db m39898) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Butler Memorial Airport — 1963
Dedicated to those who served our nation in all wars — Map (db m39912) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — David Clayton Wolfe — 1864 - 1917
First Road Dragger in Bates County He lived for others. He tried to live a humble Christian [life]. The Lord blessed his life and will continue to bless all who trust fully in Him. — Map (db m46088) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Eugene S. Hurt Chapter 67 D.A.V. Veterans Memorial
On Main Street at Ohio Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
In honor and respect to every veteran Dedicated by Disabled American Veterans Nov. 11, 1987 — Map (db m39868) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — First Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry Regimental History
On Marth Road (County Route 1002) near Cooper Road (County Route 5001), on the left when traveling west.
Most of the men of the First Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry were escaped slaves. Many fled to Kansas from farms and towns in Missouri or Arkansas to find freedom. Some may have been "stolen" in Jayhawk raids. Others in the regiment were . . . — Map (db m65049) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — North Field — Webster School 1900
On Mill Street (State Road H) at Havannah Street, on the right when traveling east on Mill Street.
Webster School was erected on this site in 1900. It was one of 3 schools to serve the East, West, & North neighborhoods. Known as North School, it was razed when the 3 grade schools were consolidated into Butler Elementary. — Map (db m39907) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Order No. 11 — August 25, 1863 — Forced Evacuation and Burning of Bates County
On West Ohio Street east of North Delaware Street, on the left when traveling west.
By 1863 the Union Army’s inability to control Confederate Guerrilla activity in western Missouri exploded. On August 25, 1863, Union General Thomas Ewing issued Order No. 11 four days after Quantrill’s Raid on Lawrence, Kansas. Residents in Bates . . . — Map (db m74091) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Palace Office Building
On Ohio Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Ohio Street.
The Palace Hotel Building was built in 1879 as part of the rebuilding of Butler after it was burned during the Civil War. It is a good example of high style Italianate architecture with elaborate bracketed cornice. It originally had an exterior . . . — Map (db m39874) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Prairie Fire and the Battle of Island Mound
Near Marth Road (County Road 1002) near Cooper Road (County Road 5001).
In the 1860s, the vast, rolling tallgrass prairies of the Osage Plains stretched for miles. Maintained by periodic fires for approximately 5,000 years before European settlement, prairie once covered approximately 78 percent of Bates County, Mo. . . . — Map (db m60613) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
On High Street at Ohio Street, on the left when traveling north on High Street.

With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States

The Boy Scouts of America

dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and and . . . — Map (db m93626) HM

Missouri (Bates County), Butler — The Battle of Island Mound
On Marth Road (County Route 1002) near Cooper Road (County Route 5001), on the left when traveling west.
During the fall of 1862, Bates County had become a haven for guerrillas and Confederate recruiters. One of their favorite haunts was a marshy tract on the Marais-des-Cygnes River, southwest of Butler, known to locals as "Hog Island." On Oct. . . . — Map (db m65050) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — The Battle of Island Mound: A Demonstration to the Nation
On Marth Road (County Road 1002) near Cooper Road (County Road 5001), on the left when traveling west.
African Americans saw the Civil War as a fight for their freedom. Early in the war, freed black men who tried to enlist in the Union Army were turned away. A 1792 Federal law still barred blacks from bearing arms for the U.S. Army. The U.S. . . . — Map (db m60617) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — The Toothman Farm — Home to a Notorious Rebel Family
On Marth Road (County Road 1002) near Cooper Road (Road 5001), on the left when traveling west.
After the 1854 Kansas-Nebraska Act was passed, pro-slavery Missourians and free-state Kansans fought over whether Kansas should enter the Union as a slave or free state. The fighting was so intense that the conflict was called "Bleeding . . . — Map (db m60584) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Hume — Veterans Memorial
On Hume Street (Missouri Route A) at 2nd Street, on the left when traveling east on Hume Street.

Erected Aug. 1, 1921 in memory of those who served in the World[']s War

Rededicated August 1, 2001 in memory of all American veterans — Map (db m84539) HM

Missouri (Bates County), Rich Hill — 33 — Harmony Mission — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 33
On Walnut Street (State Highway A) at 13th Street, on the right when traveling east on Walnut Street.
[Front] Historic Harmony Mission, a school for the Indians of Missouri, once stood east of Rich Hill, on the north bank of the Osage River, near the centuries-old camping sites of the Great and Little Osage tribes. The mission was founded . . . — Map (db m121349) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Rich Hill — The Town That Coal Built — Rich Hill, Missouri — "Big Mouth"
On 7th Street at Park Street, on the left when traveling south on 7th Street.
Marion 8200-5 Walking Dragline "Midway Princess" Total Working Weight • 6,800,000 Pounds Boom Length • 275 Feet Boom Angle • 35 [degrees] Maximum Digging Depth • 125 Feet Operation Radius • 251 Feet Bucket Capacity • 73 Cubic Yards . . . — Map (db m72041) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Centralia — The Civil War in Centralia — Missouri's Civil War
On West Singleton Street at South Allen Street, on the right when traveling east on West Singleton Street.
A violent encounter between Southern partisan cavalry and Union forces occurred in and near Centralia on September 27, 1864. /The Southern forces were irregular Confederate partisan rangers under the overall command of William "Bloody Bill” . . . — Map (db m116878) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — Beetle Bailey
Near Conley Avenue.
Come sit with Beetle Bailey, Mizzou's famous comic-strip character created through the genius of Mort Walker, AB '48 Humanities. Beetle relaxes in the re-creation of a booth from the Shack, a hangout frequented by Walker during his student days. . . . — Map (db m87609) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — Columbia Cemetery
On Broadway, on the right when traveling east.
This cemetery contains the original six lots established in 1821 as the burial ground for the City of Columbia. Commemorated on the one hundred and seventy-fifth anniversary. Dedicated May 27, 1996 This property has been placed on the . . . — Map (db m59457) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — Columbia, MO
On Old Highway 63 South, on the right when traveling south.
Columbia, "Educational Center of Missouri", originated in the town of Smithton, laid out by the Smithton land Company, 1819. By 1821, when the name was changed, the town was the seat of Boone Co., organized 1820, and named for Daniel Boone who died . . . — Map (db m106358) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — Don Faurot / Faurot Field
On Stadium Boulevard (Missouri Route 740) at Providence Road (Missouri Route 163), on the right when traveling east on Stadium Boulevard.
Don Faurot 1902-1995 Football Coach 1935-42, 1946-56 Athletic Director 1935-67 Here stands the symbol of Ol' Mizzou, famed "Thin Man" from Mountain Grove, a boy who helped build this stadium and a football coach who filled it . . . — Map (db m59512) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — George Clinton Swallow — A.M., M.D., L.L.D. — 1817 - 1899
First Professor of Geology, Chemistry, Agriculture, and First Dean of The College of Agriculture University of Missouri. First State Geologist of Missouri. — Map (db m59459) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — James Shannon L.L.D.
In memory of James Shannon L.L.D. Born in Monaghan Co. Ireland April 23, 1799 Died Feb. 23, 1859 Second President, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo. 1850-1856 Co-Founder of Christian College 1851 (Now Columbia College), . . . — Map (db m59462) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — Jewell Cemetery
Near Providence Road (Missouri Route 163) south of Green Meadows Road, on the right when traveling south.
Jewell Cemetery is located on what was originally the farm of George Jewell. George, his wife, and their children first moved from Virginia to Kentucky, then Franklin, Missouri, and finally Columbia in 1822. George, his son William, and . . . — Map (db m59646) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — Memorial Union Tower
On Hill Street 0.1 miles south of University Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
In grateful memory of these Heroic Sons of Missouri who in the Great War - 1917 - 1918 - paid the full measure of devotion [Roll of Honored Dead] Tipping of the Hats When the Memorial Union Tower was completed in 1926, . . . — Map (db m59474) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — Site of Columbia College
On 6th Street south of Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling south.
On this site stood Columbia College an institution of higher learning for men. First proposed in 1831, chartered by General Assembly in 1833, began its work in 1834. First session of University of Missouri held here in 1841. This college has been . . . — Map (db m59463) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — The Mel Carnahan Quadrangle — Honoring Leadership in Public Service
On Conley Avenue at Missouri Avenue on Conley Avenue.
Dedicated September 12, 2003, in honor of Mel Carnahan, Missouri's 51st Governor and alumnus of the University of Missouri. From his days as a law student at MU to his leadership as Governor of Missouri from 1993 - 2000, Mel Carnahan served his . . . — Map (db m87607) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Rocheport — Edward D. "Ted" and Pat Jones
Katy Trail State Park is one of Missouri's premier attractions, drawing about 400,000 visitors from across the United States and other countries. Stretching 225 miles from St. Charles in the east to Clinton in the west, the trail is the longest . . . — Map (db m46383) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Rocheport — History of Rocheport
1804... Land Before the Town Prior to its settlement, American Indians used the area we now call Rocheport. The closeness to the river, fertile soils, both salt and freshwater springs, and the protection given by the huge bluffs, rock . . . — Map (db m46345) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Rocheport — Katy Trail State Park 20th Anniversary — 1990 - 2010
From its inception and throughout its 20-year history, Katy Trail State Park has been one of the most successful rails-to-trail conversions projects in the United States. As the longest developed rail-trail in the United States, it has been . . . — Map (db m46403) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Rocheport — Steamboating on the Missouri
First Steamboats Early steamboat trips on the Missouri River tested boats, crews and passengers. Between 1820 and 1900, several hundred steamboats on the Missouri were destroyed by fire or boiler explosions, crushed by ice, or sunk by snags. . . . — Map (db m46353) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Iatan — Wetland Habitats of the Past — Little Bean Marsh Conservation Area — The Journey of Lewis & Clark
July 4th Wednesday (1804) ...proceeded on, passed the mouth of a Bayeau lading from a large Lake on the S.S. which has the appearance of being once the bed of the river & reaches parrelel for several Miles... William Clark Traveling up the . . . — Map (db m44569) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Lewis and Clark State Park — Lewis and Clark in Missouri
Missouri was a beginning and end for the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Planned by President Thomas Jefferson and carried out by the two captains and a large crew, the expedition is a keystone American event. When the United States took ownership of . . . — Map (db m44590) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Lewis and Clark State Park — The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri
The land that would become Missouri and 14 other western states was acquired by the United States in the greatest land acquisition in American history: the Louisiana Purchase. By the stroke of a pen, President Thomas Jefferson ensured the country . . . — Map (db m44615) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Lewis and Clark State Park — The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri
"Groops of Shrubs covered with the most delicious froot is to be seen in every direction, and nature appears to have exerted herself to butify the Senery by the variety of flours [flowers] Delicately and highly flavered raised above the Grass, . . . — Map (db m44624) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — "Queen of the River Towns • King of the Trails" — St. Joseph, Missouri — Great America VI
On Edmond Street at 6th Street, on the right when traveling west on Edmond Street.
[Mural depicting St. Joe's history] August 24, 2014 Sam Welty, Artist — Map (db m79252) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — "Saddle and Mochila"
On 3rd Street at Felix Street, on the right when traveling south on 3rd Street.
On April 3, 1860 the eastern Pony Express mail arrived by train and it was late. To save time the Pony Express Company which was located in the Patee House at 12th and Penn Streets had the mail taken directly to the post office. The post office was . . . — Map (db m47480) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — A Path To Freedom — Finding refuge across the river
Just south of Fort Smith hundreds of slaves escaped by crossing the frozen Missouri River during the winter of 1862-1863. Once in eastern Kansas, the slaves would move on to Iowa, Chicago, and other points north. Slavery in Missouri generally . . . — Map (db m79287) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Ballinger Building — Queen Ann[e] — 1889
On Edmond Street at 7th Street, on the right when traveling east on Edmond Street.
Designed by Joseph H. Bennett. Constructed by Isaac Ballinger. Walter Cronkite's father had his dentistry office here. — Map (db m66384) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Brian Jay Bradbury — May 1, 1984 - June 21, 2006
On Francis Street at 11th Street, on the left when traveling east on Francis Street.
Fire Support Specialist 71st Calvary [sic] Regiment 3rd Brigade Combat Team 10th Mountain Division Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan The Littlest Soldier with the Biggest Heart Greater love hath no [man] than this, that he . . . — Map (db m55835) WM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Buchanan County Courthouse — Neo-Classical — 1876
On 5th Street at Jules Street, on the left when traveling north on 5th Street.
Situated on "Council Hill". In 1882 Bob and Charlie Ford were tried here and sentenced to hang for the shooting of Jesse James. ——————— Saint Joseph Landmark — Map (db m66417) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — C. B. & Q. 5614 Steam Locomotive
On 10th Street near Seneca Street, on the left when traveling north.
• Built July, 1937 in West Burlington, Iowa by C.B.&Q. at a cost of $99,285.00 • Weight 288 Tons or 576,000 lbs. • Class 0-5-B Northern Type • Used in Passenger and Freight Service • Later Improvements Totaled $107,525.00 • . . . — Map (db m47491) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Christ Episcopal Church — Gothic Revival — 1877
On Francis Street at 7th Street, on the left when traveling east on Francis Street.
The west window was given in memory of Virginia Motter Davis by her husband and sons. Saint Joseph Landmark — Map (db m66392) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Coleman Randolph "Hawk" Hawkins — November 21, 1904 - May 19, 1969 — "Body and Soul"
On Felix Street at 7th Street, on the left when traveling east on Felix Street.
Born in St. Joseph, Missouri, Coleman Hawkins got his first saxophone at age nine and was traveling coast to coast, recording with Mamie Smith and the Jazz Hounds while still in his teens. Credited with making the sax a solo jazz instrument, . . . — Map (db m66410) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — David Johnson Heaton
Born in Phil. Pa. Dec. 6, 1808, Died in St. Joseph Mo. Apr. 28, 1898 Aged 89 years. United with the M. E. Church in 1834. A member of the I.O.O.F. from 1850 till death. In June 1827, became a professional undertaker and funeral . . . — Map (db m66453) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Donnell Court Building — Neo-Classical — 1902
On Francis Street at 5th Strret, on the left when traveling east on Francis Street.
Robert Washington Donnell, one of the first settlers of the Platte Purchase, was instrumental in organizing the Bank of the State of Missouri and securing St. Joseph's position as the eastern terminus of the Pony Express. — Map (db m66385) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Eugene Field's Lovers Lane
On Lovers Lane north of Lindenwood Lane, on the right when traveling north.
"... a proper horse goes slow In those leafy aisles where Cupid smiles In Lover's Lane, Saint Jo." - Eugene Field Lovers Lane, beginning where 18th Street meets Grand Avenue and extending a mile and a half to the northeast until it . . . — Map (db m66457) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Fort Smith — The Union's hope to hold St. Joseph
Fort Smith was erected in September 1861 as a Union fortification. St. Joseph was of great importance to preservation of the United States and the security of the goldfields of California for the war effort. A military presence in St. Joseph . . . — Map (db m79280) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — German-American Bank — Richarsonian Romanesque — 1889
On 7th Street at Felix Street, on the right when traveling south on 7th Street.
Designed by Eckel and Mann. The bank's owners were members of the German Krug family who were noted for their philanthropy. ——————— This property has been placed on the National Register of . . . — Map (db m66416) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Jesse James Home
On Penn Street.
Outlaw Jesse James was shot and killed in this house April 3, 1882. It was then at 1318 Lafayette on the hill above Patee House. It was moved here in 1977. — Map (db m58835) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Joseph Robidoux — City Founder — 1783 - 1868
Near this site the French fur trader Joseph Robidoux established a trading post in 1826 while it was still Indian territory. Robidoux and his family oversaw a far-ranging fur trading empire. The Platte Purchase of 1837 added the six county . . . — Map (db m47468) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Joseph Robidoux at Roy's Branch

Joseph Robidoux, founder of St. Joseph, was the leader of a French-Canadian fur trading family which sent men out to trade with the Indians along the Missouri River and as far west as today's Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. From his first . . . — Map (db m91000) HM

Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Kirkpatrick Building — Beaux Arts — 1923
On Francis Street at 7th Street, on the right when traveling east on Francis Street.
Built by W. F. Kirkpatrick whose jewelry company was known for its fine silver. — Map (db m66391) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Krug Building — Queen Anne — 1904
On 8th Street at Francis Street, on the right when traveling south on 8th Street.
Upper floors were originally leased to dentists and physicians while Krumm Florist and Haefli Real Estate occupied the main floor. — Map (db m66393) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Missouri Valley Trust Company — Commercial Italianate — 1859
On 4th Street at Felix Street, on the right when traveling north on 4th Street.
Oldest building west of the Mississippi River to function continuously as a bank This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Saint Joseph . . . — Map (db m47475) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Mount Mora Cemetery
On Mount Mora Road, on the left when traveling north.
On April 1, 1846, Simeon Kemper obtained a United States government patent for one hundred sixty acres at $1.25 per acre. Four years later, Kemper took two partners, Israel Landis and Reuben Middleton, who paid him almost $200 per acre for their . . . — Map (db m66373) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — No Turning Back
On Frederick Avenue (Business Interstate 29) at Faraon Street, on the right when traveling north on Frederick Avenue.
Too young and naοve to think they could fail Too full of visions for the end of the trail They stored their silk dresses and donned calico To join in the cry of Westward Ho Their diaries tell of the endless hours The . . . — Map (db m55832) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Our Confederate Dead — 1861 - 1865
[Title is text] — Map (db m66375) WM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Patee House — Company & Division Headquarters, Original Home Station — Apr. 3 1860 - Sep. 13, 1861
On Penn Street at 12th Street, on the right when traveling east on Penn Street.
The Patee House was the Pony Express Company's Eastern Headquarters from April 3, 1860 to September 13, 1861. The company's official name was "The Central Overland California and Pike's Peak Express Company." John Patee built the hotel from . . . — Map (db m47398) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Patee House - 1858 — The Pony Express
On Penn Street at 12th Street, on the right when traveling east on Penn Street.
Patee House – 1858 In this National Historic Landmark were located the offices of the Pony Express, founded by Russell, Majors & Waddell; the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad and the Civil War offices of the U.S. Provost Marshall. [sic] . . . — Map (db m47444) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Patee Park Baptist Church
On 10th Street (Business Interstate 29) near Seneca Street, on the right when traveling north.
Patee Park Baptist Church is the second oldest Baptist Church in St. Joseph. It began as a Sunday School in 1881 under the leadership of H.G. Walker, an active leader in the First Baptist Church of St. Joseph. It was organized as a church . . . — Map (db m48080) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Peace Officers Memorial
On Francis Street at 11th Street, on the left when traveling east on Francis Street.
[Numerous memorials to fallen officers, including] Joseph H. Killion Patrolman - SJPD Crushed By A Train In The Line of Duty Died June 14, 1917 Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That a Man Lay Down His Life For His . . . — Map (db m55836) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Pioneer Building — Georgian Revival — 1872, Facade Rebuilt 1929
On Francis Street at 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on Francis Street.
Originally known as the Tootle Opera House. Once regarded as the finest theater west of the Mississippi River. — Map (db m66389) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Pony Express — 1860 - 1861
On this site, April 3, 1860, a ferry carrying a horse and rider crossed the Missouri River to start a 10 day journey of 1,966 miles to deliver mail to Sacramento, California. The race against time, elements and a hostile land captured the spirit . . . — Map (db m47470) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Pony Express Stable
On Penn Street west of South 10th Street, on the left when traveling west.
1,996 miles in 10 days. A daring horseback relay mail service connects the nation. The Vision of the Pony Express In January 1860. William H. Russell, Alexander Majors, and William B. Waddell, right, (partners in the freighting firm . . . — Map (db m122600) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
On Francis Street near 11th Street, on the right when traveling east.
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and and loyalty . . . — Map (db m55726) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Saint Joseph
On Penn Street, on the left when traveling east.
(Front): Renowned city of the Pony Express, St. Joseph was first settled as a trading post for the American Fur Company by Joseph Robidoux, 1826. Later he acquired the site and laid out a town in 1843. St. Joseph became an outfitting point . . . — Map (db m4989) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — SPC Edward "Eddie" Lee Myers — June 12, 1984 - July 27, 2005
On Francis Street at 11th Street, on the left when traveling east on Francis Street.
Killed in Action Operation Iraqi Freedom United States Army 3rd Battalion, 69th Armor Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga “I made the ultimate sacrifice for you” — Map (db m55833) WM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — SPC Joshua James "Josh" Munger — May 6, 1983 - November 2, 2005
On Francis Street at 11th Street, on the left when traveling east on Francis Street.
. . . — Map (db m55834) WM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — St. Joseph — The Union's Linchpin to the West
In 1860, the United States stood on the brink of Civil War. Following the election of Abraham Lincoln as America's 16th President, states began seceding from the United States to form a new nation, the Confederate States of America. In April . . . — Map (db m79274) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — St. Michael's Prairie / The Lewis and Clark Expedition
St. Michael's Prairie St. Michael’s Prairie, the site where St. Joseph would be established, was identified on maps at least as early as 1792. French explorers and trappers had been traveling up and down the Missouri River since the early . . . — Map (db m47472) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The Boder Building
On 4th Street near Felix Street, on the right when traveling north.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m47476) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The California - Oregon Trail — 1840s & 1850s
Each spring thousands of emigrants camped in these hills and meadows waiting for new grass to support their teams along the trail. Wagons lined St. Joseph streets to the east waiting for two to three days to be ferried from this point. The settlers . . . — Map (db m47467) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The Civil War in St. Joseph — A State Divided: The Civil War in Missouri
On Penn Street, on the left when traveling east.
On April 3, 1860, the Pony Express started from this neighborhood on its historic run to the West. Eight months after the Pony Express joined East and West, the country split North to South when South Carolina seceded. Missouri, including St. . . . — Map (db m48063) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The First Pony Express
On Penn Street near South 10th Street, on the right when traveling west.
This monument erected by the Daughters of the American Revolution and The City of St. Joseph marks the place where the first Pony Express started on April 3, 1860 — Map (db m47492) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The Journey West
On South 3rd Street near Edmond Street, on the left when traveling south.
After the 1848 discovery of gold in California, more than 100,000 sturdy Americans passed through St. Joseph on their way west in quest of wealth, opportunity and better lives. The "Gold Rush" began and those who followed the "Star of Empire" . . . — Map (db m47479) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The Lewis and Clark Expedition

In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this "Corps of Discovery" to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly acquired . . . — Map (db m89212) HM

Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The Men of the Corps of Discovery / The Lewis and Clark Expedition
The Men of the Corps of Discovery During the winter of 1803, Lewis and Clark set up camp opposite the mouth of the Missouri River. Here they drilled and trained their men to prepare them for the task ahead. All of the men had been selected . . . — Map (db m79291) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The One-Room Schoolhouse
On South 9th Street (Business Interstate 29) north of Mitchell Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
For nearly 250 years the country school was the backbone of American education. These simple buildings often served as school, chapel, town hall and community center. One-room schoolhouses were the most common type of schools in the Midwest . . . — Map (db m122675) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The Patee House
On Penn Street near 12th Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Patee House has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site posseses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of . . . — Map (db m47443) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The Patee House In The Civil War — A State Divided: The Civil War in Missouri
On Penn Street at 12th Street, on the right when traveling east on Penn Street.
The Hotel Patee House opened in 1858 as St. Joseph’s finest hotel. It later served as the national Pony Express headquarters, the local Union Army headquarters, a women’s college and a factory. The building is now a National Historic Landmark. . . . — Map (db m47441) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The Pony Express — by — Albert Fales
On Penn Street near 12th Street, on the right when traveling east.
A stone from the U.S. Post Office 1898 - 1940 — Map (db m47466) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — The Pony Express — St. Joseph, Missouri
The National Significance of the Pony Express The Pony Express ran from April 3, 1860, until the transcontinental telegraph was completed in October, 1861. The Pony Express proved that the Central Route to California could be traveled all . . . — Map (db m79289) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — Transcontinental Telegraph — Electrical Engineering Milestone
On Penn Street near 12th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Between July 4 and October 24, 1861, a telegraph line was constructed by the Western Union Company between St. Joseph, Missouri, and Sacramento, California, thereby completing the first high-speed communications line between the Atlantic and . . . — Map (db m47465) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — War Memorial
On Francis Street near 10th Street, on the left when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m55771) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — William Mitchelhill — August 27th 1870 - May 7th 1915 — In Memoriam
Lost at sea, in the sinking of the "S.S. Lusitania" off the Old Head of Kinsale, Ireland, on May 7th 1915 — Map (db m66455) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — World War Memorial
In honor of those who answered their country's call during The Great World War 1917 - 1918 — Map (db m66376) WM
Missouri (Buchanan County), St Joseph — Patee Town
On Penn Street at South 10th Street, on the left when traveling east on Penn Street.
John Patee came to St. Joseph in 1845 and opened the city's first drugstore at the corner of of Main and Francis Streets. He purchased 320 acres, platted what was known as "Patee Town" and began selling building lots in 1849. He later built the . . . — Map (db m22072) HM
Missouri (Butler County), Poplar Bluff — First Presbyterian Church USA
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
A church building occupied by First Presbyterian Church has stood at this northwest corner of Main and Oak Streets since 1884, the longest period of time one denomination has occupied one site in Poplar Bluff's history. Founded in 1879, first church . . . — Map (db m36142) HM
Missouri (Butler County), Poplar Bluff — Historic Brick Streets
On North Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
In 1913 the city completed 3-1/3 miles of brick streets along Main & Vine at the cost of $86,645 following specifications established for brick streets in New York City. These historic streets have served the city for nearly a century. — Map (db m36140) HM
Missouri (Butler County), Poplar Bluff — Original Town Poplar Bluff
On West Pine Street (U.S. 60) at North 8th Street, on the right when traveling east on West Pine Street.
This site marks northwest corner of original town platted in 1849. Poplar Bluff, named for beautiful tulip poplars on bluffs overlooking Black River, became county seat of Butler County in 1849 and was incorporated on February 9, 1870. — Map (db m36126) HM
Missouri (Butler County), Poplar Bluff — Poplar Bluff
On East Pine Street (U.S. 60) at North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east on East Pine Street.
(Front): Butler County chose this bluff and the surrounding area as the county seat in 1849 and named it Poplar Bluff. The beautiful trees growing on the natural bluff were tulip poplars. (Reverse): According to legend, early . . . — Map (db m36127) HM
Missouri (Butler County), Poplar Bluff — Poplar Bluff
On Main Street at Vine Street on Main Street.
(Front): In the Ozark perimeter, above Missouri's Southeast Lowland Region, Poplar Bluff was laid out in 1849 as seat of newly organized Butler County. The town was named for its location in a forest of yellow poplars on the bluffs above . . . — Map (db m36128) HM
Missouri (Butler County), Poplar Bluff — Pvt. Billie Gene Kanell
On West Pine Street (U.S. 60) at North Main Street, on the right when traveling east on West Pine Street.
Dedicated to the memory of Pvt. Billie Gene Kanell 35th Infantry Regiment 25th Infantry Division - Company I Korean War Awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and to all the servicemen of Butler County Missouri who made the supreme sacrifice for . . . — Map (db m36139) HM
Missouri (Caldwell County), Braymer — Haun's Mill
On NE Hauns Mill Drive 0.5 miles west of Catawba Road, on the left when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m22502) HM
Missouri (Caldwell County), Breckenridge — Haun's Millstone Commemorative Marker
On 6th Street & Broadway, on the right when traveling east on 6th Street & Broadway.
Mill Stone believed to be from Haun's Mill (1836- ca. 1845) This relic represents a tragic episode in American Religious history. A testament to an enduring need for greater understanding and tolerance between peoples of differing ideologies, . . . — Map (db m22564) HM
Missouri (Caldwell County), Hamilton — "Richey" and Harden Stone Millstones
On McGaughy Street west of Davis Street (Missouri Route 13), on the right when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m66984) HM
Missouri (Caldwell County), Hamilton — Boyhood Home of J. C. Penney
On Davis Street (Missouri Route 13) at McGaughy Street, on the left when traveling north on Davis Street.
[Title is text] — Map (db m66989) HM
Missouri (Caldwell County), Hamilton — Hamilton
On Davis Street (Missouri Route 13) south of School Street, on the right when traveling south.
Founded in 1855 and named for Alexander Hamilton and Joseph Hamilton. First incorporated in 1868. Ten miles southwest the Mormons in 1836 established the town of Far West, the county seat from 1836 to 1843. — Map (db m66996) HM
Missouri (Caldwell County), Hamilton — Welcome to Hamilton
On Davis Street (Missouri Route 13) at McGaughy Street, on the left when traveling north on Davis Street.
J.C. Penney 1875-1971 • 500th J.C. Penney Store opened in 1924 • Frank Clark's Mill 1867 • Sam McBrayer's Livery Stable 1898 • Caldwell County Courthouse in Kingston Built 1898 • J.C. Penney Farms • Far West Memorial • Hamilton Holiday Street . . . — Map (db m66988) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Alpha Delta of Beta Theta Pi — Historic Greek Chapter
On Westminster Avenue south of West 6th Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Alpha Delta Chapter of Beta Theta Pi was chartered by its General Fraternity on March 5, 1868. Alpha Delta Chapter of Beta Theta Pi is the oldest chapter of any collegiate fraternity or sorority in continuous existence west of the . . . — Map (db m119020) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Boone's Rock
On 5th Street at Court Street, on the right when traveling east on 5th Street.
Originally located on a bluff on Stinson Creek in northwest Fulton, about 200 yards north of the Boone's Lick Trail, this rock bears the name D. Boone with the date 1801 and an arrow pointing due west. The gift of Mr. & Mrs. Harry McIntire to . . . — Map (db m69693) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Callaway County Men at War — Missouri's Civil War
On 5th Street near Court Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Civil War divided Missouri, but in Callaway County more soldiers served with the pro-Southern Missouri State Guard (MSG), the Confederate Army or irregular partisans. The MSG was a state-sanctioned force, organized in May 1861 to defend . . . — Map (db m70386) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Captain James Callaway
On 5th Street at Court Street, on the right when traveling east on 5th Street.
Sacred to the memory of Captain James Callaway, who sacrificed his life in the defense of his country, and who fell in the same battle in which McMullin, McDermid and Houchins were killed. Captain James Callaway, raised and . . . — Map (db m70383) HM WM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Fulton
On South Market Street south of St. Louis Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
This is a two sided marker Side A: Fulton was founded here in the Little Dixie Region of Missouri, 1825, to replace the poorly located Elizabeth as seat of Callaway County. Named for a grandson of Daniel Boone and War of 1812 . . . — Map (db m78757) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Fulton - 1824 — Boone's Lick Road
On East 4th Street east of Court Street, on the left when traveling east.
Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Missouri 1913 — Map (db m118981) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Memorial Park
On 2nd Street at Court Street, on the left when traveling west on 2nd Street.
Dedicated in 1922 to the Soldiers, Sailors & Marines of Callaway Co. who served their country in the World War of 1917-1918 and whose names now appear on bronze tablets in the Callaway Co. Court House. This ground was acquired in 1921, . . . — Map (db m69665) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — President Robert L. D. Davidson — 1909 - 1998
On Westminster Avenue at 6th Street, on the left when traveling north on Westminster Avenue.
Dedicated to the highest principles, President Robert L. D. "Larry" Davidson was a leader of character during times of both prosperity and adversity. As the 15th president of Westminster College, Davidson passionately invested in students, . . . — Map (db m70395) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Robertson Historic District — Historic Fulton Missouri
On 7th Street east of Westminster Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Rev. William W. Robertson, (1807-1894), Presbyterian minister and educator, established Fulton Female Seminary (1850) on W 7th Street, originally known as Seminary Street. Rev. Robertson founded Westminster College in 1853. — Map (db m70423) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — The Berlin Wall
On West 7th Street just west of Westminster Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
Following the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945, the country was divided into four zones of occupation by the World War II Allies. The United States, Great Britain, France and the Soviet Union. Berlin, located deep within the Soviet zone also was . . . — Map (db m59080) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — The National Winston Churchill Museum
On Westminster Avenue.
Commemorates Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech delivered at Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri on March 5, 1946, in which he warned:

"From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic an IRON CURTAIN has descended across the Continent. . . . — Map (db m59085) HM

Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — The Winston Churchill Memorial and Library
On Westminster Avenue.
The Church of St. Mary Aldermanbury first mentioned in 1181, destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1666, rebuilt by Christopher Wren, destroyed by bombing in 1940. The remaining fabric removed to Westminster College in 1966 and restored as this . . . — Map (db m59087) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — War Comes to Westminster College — Missouri's Civil War
On Westminster Avenue at 5th Street, on the left when traveling north on Westminster Avenue.
"The Columns" atop this hill are the venerated remains of Westminster College's original academic building, Westminster Hall, destroyed by fire in 1909. Founded in 1851, Westminster was one of the few Missouri colleges to function in some . . . — Map (db m70437) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — War Memorial
On 2nd Street west of Market Street (U.S. 54), on the left when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m69667) WM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — War Memorial
On 5th Street at Court Street, on the right when traveling east on 5th Street.
In honored memory of those from Callaway County who gave their lives in the service of our country. They joined an unbroken line of patriots who died, that liberty, freedom and justice might live and grow. Erected May 29, 1989 [Rolls of . . . — Map (db m69691) WM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Westminster College Columns
On C. F. Lampkin Drive, on the left when traveling south.
"A reminder of the historic past and a symbol of strength for the future." The Columns of Old Westminster Hall, built in 1858, preserved after the Fire of 1909, repaired by the Class of 1927 and rebuilt in 1972 by many loyal alumni. . . . — Map (db m70419) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Westminster Hall Threshold — 1911 - 1974
On C. F. Lampkin Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Stepping stone to knowledge for more than 8,000 Westminster men — Map (db m70415) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — William Chrisman Swope Memorial Chapel — Erected A.D. 1917-1918
On C. F. Lampkin Drive, on the left when traveling south.
In memory of William Chrisman Swope 1878 - 1909 Graduated from Westminster 1900 Faithful to every duty, self-sacrificing and helpful. A loyal officer in his church, a sincere and devout Christian ————— . . . — Map (db m70421) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Fulton — Winston Churchill's "Iron Curtain" Speech — Westminster College Gymnasium
On C. F. Lampkin Drive, on the right when traveling south.
In this building 5 March 1946 the Right Honorable Winston Churchill Wartime Prime Minister of Great Britain delivered his "Iron Curtain" Speech having been introduced by Harry S. Truman President of the United . . . — Map (db m70417) HM
Missouri (Callaway County), Tebbetts — Fur Trading in Missouri
On Olive Street (County Route 485) south of County Route 4011, on the left when traveling north.
Big Business on the Missouri River The fur trade was a booming business in the wilderness west of St. Louis. Trapping primarily took place on the upper Missouri River in the Dakotas and Montana. Furs were then sent down the river to St. Louis . . . — Map (db m121229) HM
Missouri (Camden County), Lake Ozark — Bagnell Dam
On Bagnell Dam Boulevard, on the left when traveling west.
This is a two sided marker Side A: The historic Osage River, impounded here by Bagnell Dam, flows east and north some 82 miles to join the Missouri. At the river's mouth, the 1804 Lewis and Clark Expedition camped several days and . . . — Map (db m78759) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Burfordville — Bollinger Mill/Burfordville Covered Bridge
On County Road 360 0.1 miles east of State Highway OO, on the right when traveling east.
(Front): Bollinger Mill Maj. George Frederick Bollinger built the first mill here in 1800, on a 640-acre grant from Louis Lorimier, Spanish Commandant of Cape Girardeau district of Upper Louisiana. A German Swiss from North Carolina, . . . — Map (db m35367) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Giradeau — Dwarfing the Titanic — Did you Know?
On North Water Street.
Deep-water ships cannot sail the Mississippi River. The river is frequently too shallow, and its strong currents would play havoc with ships designed to navigate oceans. At its headwaters, the Mississippi is less than three feet deep. Nor . . . — Map (db m107744) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Giradeau — Nature's River
On Water Street.
Before humans lived in this area, the Mississippi River Valley was a great wide wetland teaming with plant and animal life. The hawthorn plant, with its brilliant blossoms and bright red berries, became the Missouri state flower. The Carolina . . . — Map (db m107731) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — "Red Rover, Red Rover" — Did you know?
On North Water Street near Broadway Street.
"Red Rover" was the first hospital ship of the United States Navy, the first Navy ship that women served on and the apparent namesake of the popular children's game. It was also build and launched in Cape Girardeau in 1859. "Red Rover" was a . . . — Map (db m58928) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1673 — Marquette and Joliet
On North Water Street north of Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north.
In 1673 Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet led the first French expedition down the Mississippi. Joliet was the explorer; Marquette was the missionary and chaplain. The French hoped to find a rumored big river to the south that might lead to . . . — Map (db m107728) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1735 — Girardot Post
On North Water Street north of Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north.
Sieur Jean Baptiste Girardot established a trading post in the vicinity of Cape Rock in the middle of the 18th century. This remote outpost became a gathering place for river travelers. By 1765, maps of the Mississippi River identified the bend in . . . — Map (db m107727) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1793 — Planning a City
On North Water Street at Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south on North Water Street.
In 1793 Spanish officials in St. Louis named Louis Lorimier the Commandant of the District of Cape Girardeau. Shortly thereafter, he received Spanish land grants totaling several thousand arpents (1 arpent= .85 acres).In 1806 Lorimier and his . . . — Map (db m107725) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1803 — Lewis and Clark
On North Water Street south of Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south.
Between 1803 and 1806, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led President Jefferson's Corps of Discovery to the great American West. On November 23, 1803, they stopped at Cape Girardeau to deliver letters of introduction to Louis Lorimier. Captain . . . — Map (db m107721) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1804 — The Louisiana Purchase
On North Water Street south of Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south.
In 1803 the Mississippi River Valley was an important area in international diplomacy and intrigue. Napoleon's brothers, Lucien and Joseph, sought to dissuade him from selling the entire Louisiana Territory to the newly established United States. . . . — Map (db m107718) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1821 — Missouri Statehood
On North Water Street south of Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south.
When the territory of Missouri asked for statehood, it sought admission as a slave state since there were already many African-American slaves in the territory. Missouri was granted permission, but would be the only area in the Louisiana Territory . . . — Map (db m107715) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1838 — The Trail of Tears
On North Water Street south of Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south.
In 1830 the U.S. Congress passed the Indian Removal Act which led to the forced removal of eastern tribes to "Indian Territory" west of the Mississippi (later the state of Oklahoma). In the autumn of 1838, sixteen separate groups of Cherokee, about . . . — Map (db m107712) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1861 — The Civil War
On North Water Street south of Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south.
This view of the Mississippi River is from Fort A, one of the four forts constructed by Union forces in the summer of 1861. These forts, which encircled Cape Girardeau, provided protection from attack from either land or water. Fort A was on the . . . — Map (db m107711) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1863 — The Civil War
On North Water Street south of Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south.
An exciting incident occurred at the "Battle of Cape Girardeau" on April 23, 1863 when Confederate forces attacked from the west and south of town. During the battle several Confederate cannon balls pierced the roof of the residence of Alfred Lacey . . . — Map (db m107708) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1870 — St. Vincent's Young Ladies Academy
On North Water Street south of Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south.
St. Vincent's Young Ladies' Academy was founded in 1839 by the Sisters of Loretto as a school for young women. Located at the corner of Spanish and Good Hope streets, it was one of the first schools for women west of the Mississippi. Prior to its . . . — Map (db m107707) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1875 — River Commerce
On North Water Street at Themis Street, on the left when traveling south on North Water Street.
Before the coming of the railroad, the Mississippi River was the commercial lifeline of Cape Girardeau. The arrival of the packet boats, loaded with goods for local and regional residents, was an exciting event in the community. To the left of the . . . — Map (db m107706) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1880 — The Coming of The Railroad
On North Water Street at Themis Street, on the left when traveling south on North Water Street.
After earlier attempts to build a railroad to Cape Girardeau failed, local attorney Louis Houck made an arrangement with creditors to bring a railroad into the city by midnight of January 1,1881. If he could do so, he would acquire clear title to . . . — Map (db m107752) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1909 — President Taft's Visit
On Water Street.
The first sitting President to visit Cape Girardeau was William Howard Taft, who arrived on the riverfront in the early morning of October 26, 1909. He was part of a 16-boat flotilla carrying cabinet members, Congressmen, governors, river . . . — Map (db m107865) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1916 — The Great Fire
On Water Street.
The city was awaken to the shriek of a steamboat whistle early on the morning of March 15, 1916, to the biggest fire in Cape's history. The blaze began south of Broadway engulfing the Terminal Hotel, the Buckner-Ragsdale Store, the Frisco Railroad . . . — Map (db m107864) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1918-1919 — The Big Freeze
On Water Street.
In the early 20th century, the Mississippi River was a wider and slower river than today. Because it was slower, it was more inclined to freeze over in periods of cold weather. The winter of 1918-1919 was especially frigid, and the river was . . . — Map (db m107863) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1924 — The Three "Cape Girardeaus"
On Water Street.
For most of the 19th century and the first third of the 20th,steamboats were vital to the economic livelihood of Cape Girardeau and southeast Missouri. Three steamboats bore the name "Cape Girardeau," the last being christened here in 1924. . . . — Map (db m107862) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1925 — Riverboat Jazz
On Water Street.
Two of the most exciting new trends of the 1920s were jazz and ballroom dancing. The riverboats were ideal locations for both. Here, Jess Stacy on piano and Raymond F. "Peg" Meyer on saxophone, Berg Snider on drums, and Pete Lowry on banjo performed . . . — Map (db m107861) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1927 — The Big Flood
On Water Street.
The great flood of 1927 remains the flood by which all Mississippi River floods are measured.The devastating effect upon the lower Mississippi River resulted in the Jadwin Plan, which sought to control the river with a coordinated system of levees . . . — Map (db m107860) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1958 — River Industry
On Water Street.
The Mississippi River provides an abundant supply of sand to Cape Girardeau. This great resource has enhanced the community's ability to construct such large concrete projects as the A.C. Brase Arena Building, the Common Pleas Courthouse steps, . . . — Map (db m107859) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1964 — The Great Wall
On Water Street.
After centuries of floods, the Mississippi River flood-wall provided protection from the floodwaters that periodically ravaged Cape Girardeau. Construction began on the massive flood-control project in 1956 and was completed in 1964 at the cost of . . . — Map (db m107857) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 1980 — Riverfest
On Water Street.
Cape Girardeau has a close relationship with the Mississippi River. For 21 years Riverfest celebrated the fact that the community was on the river and of the river. The festival featured music, games, food, fireworks, crafts, and special events. . . . — Map (db m107856) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — 2003 — The Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge
On Water Street.
After 15 years of planning and 7 years of construction, the Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge opened to traffic on December 13, 2003. The bridge was named for Bill Emerson, and eight-term Congressman who had championed the legislation that brought about . . . — Map (db m107855) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Cape Girardeau and the Railroad
Near Aquasmi Street, on the right when traveling south.
After the golden age of the steamboat, port cities like Cape Girardeau suffered as railroads provided alternate means of transportation. Responding to the post-Civil War railroad boom, a syndicated of local business leaders formed the Cape . . . — Map (db m58672) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Cape Girardeau River Crossings
Near Aquasmi Street, on the right when traveling south.
In the 1790s, the Spanish governor granted Louis Lorimier permission to operate a ferry service at Cape Girardeau. Thereafter, ferry operators continued to shuttle people and products across the Mississippi River until 1928 when a new, privately . . . — Map (db m58667) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Cape La Croix Creek
On South Central Avenue near William Street.
In 1699, fathers Montigny, Davion, and St. Cosme, French missionaries erected a cross where this stream entered the Mississippi and prayed that this might be the beginning of Christianity among the Indians. The stream has ever since been known as . . . — Map (db m58683) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Captains of Industry
On Water Street.
August Busch (1899-1989) was born in St. Louis, Mo. He headed what has become the world’s largest brewery, Anheuser-Busch. In 1953, he purchased the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team and inspired them to compete in six World Series from 1964-1987. . . . — Map (db m107767) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Champion Beech Tree
On Morgan Oak Street, on the right when traveling east.
This stately Beech is one of the largest and oldest trees in the State of Missouri. A registered "champion" tree, it is approximately 200 years old. Quite possibly it was alive at the time of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. The American Beech . . . — Map (db m58665) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Don Louis Lorimier / El Camino Real
On S. Spanish Street (Missouri Route 177) at William Street, on the right when traveling north on S. Spanish Street.
Don Louis Lorimier On this site stood the home of Don Louis Lorimier first commandant of the Spanish Military Post established here in 1793

Erected by the Nancy Hunter Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1917

El Camino Real . . . — Map (db m52042) HM

Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Entertainers
On Water Street.
Josephine Baker (1906-1975) was born in St. Louis, Mo. Her creative, exotic acts Made her a singing star from New York To Paris. During WWII, she worked with The Red Cross, gathering intelligence and entertaining troops in Africa and . . . — Map (db m107763) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — George Drouillard
Near Water Street north of William Street, on the right when traveling north.
George Drouillard was cheif hunter and interpreter on the Lewis and Clark Expedition Corps of Discovery. He was the son of a Frenchman and Shawnee woman as well as nephew of Louis Lorimier, Commandant of the Cape Girardeau District. Drouillard lived . . . — Map (db m51818) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — George Washington Carver
On Water Street.
George Washington Carver (1864-1943) was born in Diamond Grove, MO. As an agricultural chemist and inventor at Tuskegee Institute, now Tuskegee University, in Alabama, he developed a system of crop rotation. He also discovered 300 uses for peanuts . . . — Map (db m107822) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Hollywood
On Water Street.
Ginger Rogers (1911-1958) was born in Independence, MO. Nicknamed Feathers, she was a dancer extraordinaire and attained real stardom paired with Fred Astaire. She got her start in vaudeville at the age 14, and her first big movie hit was 42nd . . . — Map (db m107844) HM

1500 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1300
Paid Advertisement