Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Missouri

1453 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 1053
 
Missouri Mule, The Wild West Marker image, Touch for more information
By Sandra Hughes, August 12, 2012
Missouri Mule, The Wild West Marker
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Missouri Mule, The Wild West
Missouri Mule The mule was adopted as Missouri's state animal in 1995. Generally considered smarter, hardier, and more sure-footed than a horse, mules have been used or pulling wagons and other endurance-related task. For many years Missouri . . . — Map (db m107853) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Muralist/Broadcasters
Muralist Thomas Hart Benton (1889-1975) was born in Neosho, MO. An America regionalist painter, he is best known for his mural paintings depicting common everyday scenes of Midwestern life. Some of his most famous paintings and murals are . . . — Map (db m107850) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Old Lorimier Cemetery
Cape Girardeau's Oldest Shrine Earliest Inscription 1808 In this old cemetery gift of Don Louis Lorimier lie pioneers, founders, builders and defenders of our country. — Map (db m58684) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Old St. Vincent's Church — 1838 ------ 1982
On this site in 1833, Father John Timon, a Vincention Priest, celebrated mass in a warehouse of Don Louis Lorimier. The first St. Vincent's Church, constructed in 1838, was destroyed by a tornado in 1850. Re-built a year later, the foundation . . . — Map (db m52039) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Pook's Turtles — Did you Know?
An ironclad was a wooden warship of the 19-century having iron or steel armor plating. The Confederate's ironclad ,"Monitor" (formerly Merrimack"), and the Union's ironclad, "Virginia" fought off the coast of Virginia in March of 1862. However, . . . — Map (db m58930) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — River Commerce
Known to Native Americans as "Messipi" ("Big River") or "Mee-zee-see-bee" ("Father of Waters"), the Mississippi River originates in Minnesota and terminates 2,348 miles later at the Gulf of Mexico. The river played an integral part in the . . . — Map (db m58669) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — St Vincent's Seminary and Southeast Missouri State University
Terrace Park is located on the site where Father Odin of the Congregation of the Mission (Vincentian Fathers) established St. Vincent's Male Academy in 1838, which was followed shortly thereafter by St. Vincent's Seminary. Often affectionately . . . — Map (db m58663) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Telephone Service — 1877 - 1896
1877 1896 Telephone Service In 1877 The first long distance telephone line in Missouri was completed December 18, 1877 between Cape Girardeau and Jackson. In 1896 Here in a 10' by 12' second floor room the city's first telephone . . . — Map (db m38443) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — The Artists
Chicago artist, Thomas Melvin, and his lead portrait artist, Cameron Pfiffner, directed the paintings of the Mississippi River Tales, Mural between April and November of 2004. Other members of the crew are listed under the paint brush. . . . — Map (db m107852) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — The Civil War/The Boys of Summer
The Civil War Dred Scott (1795-1858) was born into slavery in Virginia and relocated with the family when it moved to St. Louis in 1830. In 1846, he sued to gain his freedom. After 11 years, in a landmark decision, he was denied his freedom . . . — Map (db m107847) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri
On Nov. 23, 1803, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark arrived at Cape Girardeau, a trading post established in 1795 by Louis Lorimier, the Spanish-appointed Commandant of the Cape Girardeau District. Here, Lewis, co-commander of the expedition, left . . . — Map (db m58675) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — The Mississippi River
"The Father of Water" has provided means of travel and commerce since early days. Indians, explorers, priests, traders, and settlers plied its current in canoes, dugouts, flatboats, keelboats, packets, and towboats. Until the Civil War, Cape . . . — Map (db m52040) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — The Red House
Pierre-Louis de Lorimier, French-Canadian fur trader, Indian agent, and founder of Cape Girardeau, built the Red House in the late 1790s west of this location on what is now the parking lot of St. Vincent's Church. The Red House served as the . . . — Map (db m58678) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — The Red House Interpretive Center
The Red House Interpretive Center, under construction from 2002-2004, is a cooperative effort of the Cape Girardeau Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Commission and the City of Cape Girardeau. The project was funded in part through grants from the . . . — Map (db m58674) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Title Panel
. This panel features the Missouri State flag, which was designed by Cape Girardeau native, Maria Watkins Oliver. It was officially adopted March 22, 1913. Also represented are the official tree of Missouri - the dogwood, the official bird of . . . — Map (db m107851) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Visionary Women/Entrepreneurs
Rosie O’Neill (1874-1944) was born in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Her family later moved to the Missouri Ozarks. She was a commercial artist and creator of the Kewpie doll, the first time ever that Merchandising was based on a . . . — Map (db m107765) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Hartle Ford — "Historical Marker"
The Niswonger family came to this area from Lincoln Co. N.C. in a caravan of 20 families, they crossed the river on ice near Ste. Genevieve Jan. 1, 1800, then came south to the Whitewater creeks along which they settled. The family consisted of 3 . . . — Map (db m33791) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Oriole — Father Jacques Marquette — 1673-1973
In 1672 Louis Joliet and Father Jacques Marquette were commissioned by King Louis XIV to discover the course of the Mississippi River. On June 17, 1673, the expedition entered the Mississippi from the Wisconsin River and began its descent by canoe. . . . — Map (db m61828) HM
Missouri (Carroll County), Carrollton — Court House Bell

Presented and placed atop the Carroll County Courthouse when building was erected 1902-1903 Removed in 1953 -- Erected this location as a historical landmark in 1970 by the County Court. — Map (db m90892) HM

Missouri (Carroll County), Carrollton — General James Shields

Born in County Tyrone · Ireland May 10-1810 Died in Ottumwa · Iowa June 1-1879

Soldier · Jurist · Statesman

United States Senator from Illinois · Minnesota and Missouri

Cerro Gordo · Chapultepec

Winchester · Port . . . — Map (db m90874) HM

Missouri (Carroll County), Carrollton — General James Shields

Born in County Tyrone, Ireland May 10, 1810 Died June 1, 1879 Rests in St. Mary's Cemetery near Carrollton, Missouri

Soldier · Statesman Jurist · Patriot Brigadier General Mexican War · Civil War Cerro Gordo · Winchester . . . — Map (db m90890) HM WM

Missouri (Carroll County), Carrollton — Veterans Memorial

Erected in memory of All Departed Veterans by American Legion Post No. 239 — Map (db m90761) HM

Missouri (Carter County), Van Buren — Big Spring — Ozark National Scenic Riverways — National Park Service-U.S.Department of the Interior
Big Spring rises through a jumble of giant boulders causing a dramatic “boil” at the spring surface. On an average day 288 million gallons of water flow from the spring, enough to fill Busch Stadium in St. Louis in only 33 . . . — Map (db m61738) HM
Missouri (Carter County), Van Buren — Big Spring-A Karst Topography — Ozark National Scenic Riverways — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Karst is a special type of landscape that is formed by the dissolution of soluble rocks, including limestone and dolomite.

A karst topography is characterized by rolling hills, deep hollows springs, caves, sinkholes and tunnels. Rain water, . . . — Map (db m61739) HM

Missouri (Carter County), Van Buren — Building Human Happiness
"We are definitely in an era of building; the best kind of building - the building of great public projects for the benefit of the public and with the definite objective of building human happiness." Franklin Delano Roosevelt Growing out of . . . — Map (db m36208) HM
Missouri (Carter County), Van Buren — Camp Hains - 1710
"Company 1710 was organized at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, June 3, 1933...The company was made up of approximately 200 Missouri boys, 96 from three north Missouri counties (Putnam, Caldwell, Lynn) and the remainder from Jasper County.... On June . . . — Map (db m36195) HM
Missouri (Carter County), Van Buren — Carter County Veterans Memorial
(Front):Erected by the citizens of Carter County in memory of our soldier boys who lost their lives in World War of 1917William Thomas Main Charles O. Marchbank Oscar Marchbank George L. Shiffler Ed. Morler J.L. Kinnard Charles E. McSpadden . . . — Map (db m36150) WM
Missouri (Carter County), Van Buren — CCC - A Peace-Time Army
During the 1930s, a depression slowly strangled the nation. By 1933, nearly 13 million people suffered unemployment. In March, newly elected president Franklin D. Roosevelt responded with a bill creating the Civilian Conservation Corps. Its purpose . . . — Map (db m36191) HM
Missouri (Carter County), Van Buren — There Was Work To Be Done
The CCC worked within state and national parks and forest areas across the nation combating soil erosion, fighting forest fires and building park facilities. At Big Spring, boys from 3 separate camps (Co. 1710, 734 and 1740) kept busy with a variety . . . — Map (db m36196) HM
Missouri (Carter County), Van Buren — Van Buren
(Front): Van Buren, settled as the seat of Ripley County, organized, 1833, became the seat of Carter County when it was organized from parts of Ripley and Shannon counties, 1859. Nearby Big Spring State Park, 4582 acres of Ozark grandeur, . . . — Map (db m36143) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Belton — Smoot Peace Park and Veterans Memorial
Peace Park Love + Labor + Leisure + Light + Law= "Peace" A memorial to Mr. & Mrs. G. W. Smoot given to City of Belton by daughter Cynthia Smoot Jones 1956 Dedicated to those who served Dedicated Veteran's Day Nov. 11, . . . — Map (db m50860) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Burnt District Monument — The Heart of the Burnt District — Missouri's Civil War
Missouri's Civil War The Civil War on the Missouri-Kansas border was an extension of the raiding and looting that took place during the Bleeding Kansas era of 1854 to 1860. Early in the war, Kansas Jayhawkers and Redlegs dressed in blue . . . — Map (db m20318) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Cass County
(Front): Midway on Missouri's western border, Cass County was organized in 1835 and named Van Buren. The Free-Soil Party affiliation of Martin Van Buren led to name change, in 1849 for Democrat Lewis Cass. In territory ceded by Osage tribes . . . — Map (db m20267) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — General Order No. 11 — Aug. 25, 1863 — Brig. Gen. Thomas Ewing
(No inscription except for the title and portraits of significant personalities. This historical marker tells its story pictorially.) [Portraits of] Lewis Cass • L.O. Kunze Henry & Bursheba Younger [William] Quantrill • Cole . . . — Map (db m50871) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Harrisonville WWI Memorial
In Memory of our World War Veterans — Map (db m20702) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Jennison’s Jayhawks raid Harrisonville Square — July 1861
(No inscription except for the title. This historical marker tells its story pictorially.)Map (db m50870) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Lest We Forget
left tablet Stylized Eagle facing right perched on 3 arrows Lest we forget Korea map of Korea right tablet Stylized Eagle facing left perched on 3 arrows Lest we forget Vietnam map of Vietnam . . . — Map (db m21314) WM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — The Burnt District Monument
(Left Side Plaque) The Burnt District / Jennison's Tombstones When the Civil War began, Cass County was home to over 1,700 families. The population of 8,900 free whites and 1,000 slaves reflected widely diverse origins. Many had . . . — Map (db m22089) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — United We Stand Divided We Fall
The Cass Co. Judges who suffered imprisionment by the U.S. Federal Courts rather than make a tax levy to pay fradulent Co. and Township Railroad Bonds. FE Johnston WP Barnes Sept 1 1883 to Jan 1 1884 WA Wray FM George ET . . . — Map (db m20268) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Wayside Rest — The Robert Allison Brown House — Circa 1850

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior

Not open to the public — Map (db m99463) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 100 Veterans Parkway — Historic Building circa 1880

Operated as a grocery store/meat market until 1981 when a delicatessen was added. Building was destroyed by fire in 1891 and rebuilt at that time. From 1984 until 2006 various tenants operated out of the building. In 2006 the building was . . . — Map (db m88326) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 105 First Street — Historic Building 1881

In 1858 John Armstrong purchased this and surrounding land from the U.S. knowing the Pacific Railroad would site its station here. Armstrong sold some land to the railroad for $1.00. By 1865, when the railroad began construction, business men . . . — Map (db m88421) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 110 South Lake Street — Historic Building circa 1909

This building has housed a theatre since 1909. In 1915 free Sat. matinees were sponsored by the merchants for country people. Nov. 7, 1916 it was packed with people waiting to hear the national election results coming in over a telephone line . . . — Map (db m88328) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 111 First Street — Historic Building 1870

This building was the post office from 1874-90. Other tenants included an insurance agency, a variety store, a shoe shop. and the Commercial Bank (1912). Since 1955 it has been a radio and TV shop, photo shop, telephone office, watch repair shop, . . . — Map (db m88423) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 113 Wyoming Street — Historic Building 1891

Until 1977 this building was always a drug store. Some space was rented to the Mo. Kan. Telephone System (Bell) for their central office. A veterinarian also leased space. A church leased the building from 1977 to 1986 at which time Randy and . . . — Map (db m88417) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 117 First Street — Historic Building circa 1895

From 1895 to 1913 Rolly Brothers restaurant was here. They had a waiting room for ladies in front and a dining room being cut off by a row of palms. In 1904 the rear half was added facing the Mo. Pacific Depot enabling the restaurant to cater . . . — Map (db m88569) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 118 First Street — Historic Building circa 1903

First housed a funeral parlor until 1906. For the next 52 years O.L. Beasley and his heirs the Woodmancys operated a clothing store. From 1962-77, it was a sporting goods and liquor store. Later a pawn shop. After extensive remodeling it became . . . — Map (db m88425) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 119 First Street — Historic Building circa 1907

The first building was destroyed by fire in 1893. In 1907 the present building was erected for a pool hall. It was constructed to hold a second story that was never built on. The pool hall is believed to be the oldest in the state of Missouri . . . — Map (db m88567) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 120 First Street — Historic Building

No record available of when 120 First St. was built. From 1902 to 1907 it was a post office. From 1907 to 1930 a grocery store. On July 26, 1909 Carrie Nation gave a lecture in front about the evils of alcohol. It has been an electrical shop, . . . — Map (db m88428) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 121 First Street — Historic Building 1894

In June 1894, the new building was the home of a drug store. The upstairs was occupied by a savings & loan co and a real estate co. In 1904 the upstairs became the offices of a doctor and a lawyer. In 1929 a bakery was opened downstairs, then a . . . — Map (db m88485) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 124 First Street — Historic Building 1893

This building was the home of the Citizens State Bank from 1893-1943. The assets were purchased and incorporated into the Pleasant Hill Bank. From 1943-58 it was a shoe and dress shop. In 1958 it became a liquor store for several years. Later . . . — Map (db m88429) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 126 First Street — Historic Building 1900

From 1900 until 1915 this building was the home of various jewelry businesses, then the Bargain Spot and in 1917 a shoe shop. From 1919-1921 it was a millinery store. Early 1921 it was a feed store. Later that year Pleasant Hill Times Publisher . . . — Map (db m88460) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 129 Wyoming Street — Historic Building 1920

The first frame building was built in 1868 as a home for boots and shoes. It was a shoe repair shop until 1916. In 1920 Jones Lumber Co. was moved to this location after the original building was razed. Later it was a shoe repair and store . . . — Map (db m88419) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 134 First Street — Historic Building circa 1890

Since 1890 this location has been a barber shop. Half the building has been an insurance agency and jewelry store. A new barber pole was installed in 1908. It is now in Miller's Museum.

Current owner is Joan Mitchell — Map (db m88462) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 135 First Street — Historic Building 1884

Constructed for $11,000 by John C. Knorpp, the second floor became the Knorpp Opera House, featuring vaudeville, drama and community functions. The ground floor became a grocery. In 1893 the opera hall was leased to the Masonic Lodge then, in . . . — Map (db m88479) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 136 First Street — Historic Building circa 1868

A bakery was here 1867-95. In 1891 a fire started up the street. Men were on top of 136 pouring on water from a line of buckets. A restaurant here in 1905 with sleeping rooms upstairs advertised "25 cents gets a square meal." In 1920 a cleaning . . . — Map (db m88469) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 140 First Street — Historic Building 1868

Was first used as a savings bank and housed banks until 1908. By 1890 the upper floors were used as lodge halls. Other occupants were dentists, real estate, loan, insurance, lawyers, telephone office and living quarters. The first floor has . . . — Map (db m88474) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 400 Cedar St. — Historic Building circa 1860

This was the original site of the stone mill owned by F.H. Marshal and Son. Here they operated a corn mill, saw mill, a turning lathe and repair shop. In 1898, the top was removed so the red brick Kellogg Opera House could be built on the . . . — Map (db m88321) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Civil War Dead

These Hallowed Grounds hold the remains of George W. Armstead, Ira W. Crouse, W. H. Darling, J. L. Warren and 23 other Civil War Soldiers known but to God, who lost their lives on July 11, 1862 and May 15, 1863. — Map (db m88292) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Col. Hiram Bledsoe — Apr. 25. 1825 - Feb. 5. 1899 — Bledsoe's Battery

One of the finest artillery units of the Civil War was Bledsoe's Battery, commanded by Col. Hiriam [sic] Bledsoe, a resident of Pleasant Hill.

Born in Kentucky, he moved at age 14 to Lexington, Mo. In 1846 he joined the U. S. Army, Missouri . . . — Map (db m88348) HM WM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Defenders of Freedom Veterans Memorial — "Some Gave All, All Gave Some"

"I see that the old flagpole still stands. Have your troops hoist the Colors to its peak, and let no enemy ever haul them down." Gen. Douglas MacArthur

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace." . . . — Map (db m88344) HM WM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Historic 115 Wyoming Street — 1866

This oldest building downtown stands on the original Pleasant Hill land grant of 1854 with a [sic] 126 years of continuous use.

In the 19th century, it was a furniture store and the town post office.

In the 20th century, it housed . . . — Map (db m88415) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Liberty Tree — 1776 • 1976

This certifies that a red cedar is recognized as a Liberty Tree Two Hundred Year Old Living Monument to our nation's history — Map (db m88315) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Memorial Building — Historic Building 1948

In 1944 the American Legion and American War Dads joined forces to honor the war dead with this Memorial Building. In 1947 the V.F.W. and the Ladies Auxiliaries joined them in a fund drive to save expenses. Volunteers cleaned salvaged bricks . . . — Map (db m88372) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot — Historic Building circa 1903

The first depot was of wood frame and built on this site in 1866. It burned in 1901. In 1903 this building was built for the Missouri Pacific R.R. and called the "finest in the state." In 1915 the Wells Fargo office here was robbed. The night . . . — Map (db m88338) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Philip Short Baldwin — In Loving Memory Of — July 7, 1894 • March 17, 1921

2nd. Lieutenant 138 Field Artillery, U.S.A. who died after serving his country in the World War

Volunteered April 26, went to France in December, 1917. At all times Corporal in the Field Artillery, 2nd Division Intelligence G2 Section . . . — Map (db m88291) HM WM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Pleasant Hill, Missouri

[Side A] Pleasant Hill dates back to Missouri's early pioneer days. As early as 1823, there was a trading post located two miles east of the present town that was operated by a French Canadian by the name of Blois.

In 1828, David Creek . . . — Map (db m88330) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — The Civil War in Pleasant Hill

The American Civil War had a profound and long-lasting impact on the Pleasant Hill area. Its location in the border state of Missouri ensured that residents would align themselves on both sides of the conflict. Numerous skirmishes were . . . — Map (db m88350) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — War Memorial

In memory of those who gave their lives that we might live in peace

World War I James H. Biggerstaff • James L. Carpenter • Earnest J. Ditto • Newton J. Dudley • Wilford A. Fair • Jesse J. Hayes • Joseph S. Konantz • Joe Shelton • . . . — Map (db m88278) WM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — William McKitterick

The first man in the known world, who in 1871 commanded and induced swarming bees to enter the hive by retaining the queen bee. — Map (db m88294) HM

Missouri (Cedar County), El Dorado Springs — City Park Dedication
This land was dedicated to the City of Eldorado Springs for a park by N. H. and W. P. Cruce July 20, 1881 — Map (db m57378) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), El Dorado Springs — El Dorado Spring
El Dorado Springs was founded around this spring in 1881 due to the waters medicinal value. The stone above marked its first site 75 ft. to the SE until 1890 when routed to this basin. During repairs in Sept. 1992, this sandstone slab was found . . . — Map (db m57372) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), El Dorado Springs — Former School Districts in El Dorado Springs R-2
This bell has been donated by the Rock School District of Cedar County Missouri in commemoration of the former Common School Districts which presently comprise the El Dorado Springs R-2 School District. Cedar County Barnes • Cedar Springs . . . — Map (db m57417) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), El Dorado Springs — Grindstone Wash Basin
Before El Dorado Springs was founded, this stone wash basin sat before the Spring on rock supports. It was used by travelers along the trail. Some pioneer artisan cut it from a stone taken from Grindstone Quarry, located East of the Park Hotel. . . . — Map (db m57377) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), El Dorado Springs — Missouri Bicentennial Wagon — 1776 - 1976
This wagon represented the State of Missouri in the 1976 Bicentennial Wagon Train Pilgrimage to Valley Forge, Pennsylvania Wagon Master, Raymond Williams Asst. Wagon Master, Jack Nolan Outriders, Georgia Williams Dixie Nolan-Peak and . . . — Map (db m57421) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), El Dorado Springs — Nathaniel H. and Waldo P. Cruce — 1857 - 1925 and 1861 - 1904
Realizing it was believed by the general public that the spring water had some medicinal value and that people were coming great distances to drink the water for whatever ailments they had, Nathaniel H. and Waldo P. Cruce, brothers, had the . . . — Map (db m57380) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), El Dorado Springs — Prairie — A year-round palette of colors
A sea of grasses and wildflowers - the tallgrass prairie - once covered America's heartland. It is now one of the most endangered ecosystems in the world, and many of its inhabitants are struggling to survive. Thousands of acres of rolling . . . — Map (db m57202) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), El Dorado Springs — Roy Bandy and Eddy Wilson
This monument is dedicated to Roy Bandy and Eddy Wilson for their efforts in providing career and work opportunities for young people in the field of cadastral (land) surveying with the General Land Office and its successor, the Bureau of Land . . . — Map (db m57381) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), El Dorado Springs — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to All Veterans of the United States Armed Forces Erected Oct. 1972 — Map (db m57337) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), Stockton — Cedar County
(side 1) Here where the Ozark Highland borders on the Western Prairie region of Missouri, Cedar County was organized in 1845. The name is for the trees along Cedar Creek. Stockton, the county seat, was platted in 1846 on land given by . . . — Map (db m72914) HM
Missouri (Cedar County), Stockton — Veterans Memorial

A memorial to all deceased military personnel interred in Gum Springs Cemetery — Map (db m79790) WM

Missouri (Cedar County), Stockton — War Memorial

In honored memory of those from Cedar County who lost their lives in World War One, World War Two, the Korean and Vietnam Conflicts. These Heroes live beyond the tomb.

[Roll of Honored Dead]

And to all those who fought valiantly for . . . — Map (db m79791) WM

Missouri (Chariton County), Salisbury — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and and loyalty 40th . . . — Map (db m89550)
Missouri (Christian County), Billings — Honoring our Veterans
Billings City Park Honoring Our Veterans Billings Memorial — Map (db m62992) WM
Missouri (Christian County), Clever — Butterfield Overland Mail in Missouri — 1858-1861
The John C. Ashmore Relay Station in northwest Christian County stood in Polk Township, 152 ½ miles from the Tipton Terminus. It was the only station in the county. — Map (db m99690) HM
Missouri (Christian County), Ozark — Baldknobbers Hanging
(Front) On this approximate spot on May 10, 1889 three members of the Baldknobbers were hanged for murder. The name came from the Bald Knob hilltops on which the Taney County group met. After the Civil War justice on the area was . . . — Map (db m59918) HM
Missouri (Christian County), Ozark — Christian County
Deep in the Missouri Ozarks, Christian County, organized 1859, was one of last 3 of the State’s 114 counties to be formed. At the request of pioneer “Mrs. Thomas Neaves” it was named for her native Ky. county honoring Rev. War Col. . . . — Map (db m99716) HM
Missouri (Christian County), Ozark — Commercial Block — 1897
This property has been placed on the Ozark Register of Historic Places by the Ozark Historic Preservation Commission — Map (db m59916) HM
Missouri (Christian County), Ozark — Commercial Building — 1914
This property has been placed on the Ozark Register of Historic Places by the Ozark Historic Preservation Commission — Map (db m59917) HM
Missouri (Christian County), Ozark — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all veterans of Christian County November 11 1992 In Memory of All American Veterans This memorial honors all American veterans who, although separated by generations, shared a common, undeniable goal - to valiantly . . . — Map (db m59920) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Excelsior Springs — Hall of Waters

Ten mineral springs were brought together in this building in 1935 under WPA project #5252 on the site of the original spring. The cost was more than one million dollars. The Hall of Waters houses City Hall and host[s] the world's longest . . . — Map (db m90755) HM

Missouri (Clay County), Kansas City — Antioch Church

"The Antioch Congregation was organized as a Christain [sic] Church (Disciples of Christ) in September 1853 by Moses Easterly Lard (1818-1880), Pastor of the Liberty Christain [sic] Church in Missouri. Its first 'Meeting House', a one room . . . — Map (db m86636) HM

Missouri (Clay County), Kansas City — Antioch Church — Clay County Historic Landmark

Congregation established in 1853 by Rev. Moses E. Lard as Christian Church. Building constructed 1859. Has served since as worship and social center. Reorganized as Community Church 1930. Building moved and [illegible] by Antioch Church . . . — Map (db m86639) HM

Missouri (Clay County), Kansas City — Antioch Church

Congregation formed in 1853 as Antioch Christian Church.

This building erected in 1859. Restored by Antioch Community Church Historical Society, organized December 1964 with Hugh P. Loughrey founding president. . . . — Map (db m86640) HM

Missouri (Clay County), Kansas City — Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport
This historic aviation facility is named in honor of longtime medical pathologist, Jackson County coroner, judge, and Mayor of Kansas City, Missouri, Charles B. Wheeler. In appreciation of his dedication to air service expansion for the people of . . . — Map (db m58406) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Kansas City — Lou E. Holland — The Father of Kansas City Aviation — 1878 - 1960
In 1927 led the city's airport development program and personally laid the framework for the network of air transport routes which today make Kansas City the Air Hub of the Nation. — Map (db m58407) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Kansas City — Woodneath — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Homeplace settled by Elbridge Arnold in 1838, home built in 1856. Family home of William A. Crouch 1922 until it became the home of Edwin Yancey Crouch in 1940. — Map (db m49819) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Kearney — James Farm
Home of Rev. Robert James, Baptist minister who came here in 1840. Son Jesse was born here and with his brother Frank, were involved with the Bushwhackers in criminal escapades until Jesse was killed in 1882. Frank surrendered and lived with his . . . — Map (db m59638) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Kearney — Watkins Mill — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
This farm established by Walthus L. Watkins, centered around his woolen factory built 1860-1861. It operated for 40 years with mass production machines. This farm (Bethany) also boasted a grist mill, flour mill and saw mill, church and octagonal . . . — Map (db m46134) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — "The Old Graveyard" "Mt. Memorial Cemetery"
On July 5th, 1836, Andrew Hixon and wife, Ann, conveyed by Warranty Deed to the "Town of Liberty" Trustees for $30, one acre, "for the purpose of a public burying ground". Used as such before the 1825 settlement of Liberty. "The Old Graveyard", . . . — Map (db m68263) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 1 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1894 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68153) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 11 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1880 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68188) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 12 North Main Street
This property built in 1885 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1993 — Map (db m68129) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 15 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1875 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68189) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 16 North Main Street
This property built in 1885 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1993 — Map (db m68127) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 17 East Kansas Street
This property built in c. 1877;1915 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68190) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 7 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1886 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68157) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 9 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1875 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68187) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Alexander W. Doniphan — 1808 - 1887 — Lawyer, Statesman and Military Leader
While living on this site in the 1830's, Alexander Doniphan championed the Constitutional rights of an oppressed people to ensure their religious freedom. He helped create Caldwell County as a refuge for the Mormons in 1836 and refused to carry . . . — Map (db m68243) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Bell-Pharis House — — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark —
Built by Daniel Bell in 1858, an impressive ante-bellum mansion, restored by present owner, Donald Pharis, who also re-erected an early day log cabin here from nearby Richmond. — Map (db m80964) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Boggess Hardware Store — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
This property built in c.1895 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 Formerly the Messick Hotel, was purchased by Sterling Price Boggess in 1902 and . . . — Map (db m68155) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Civil War Memorial
Jewell Hall was used as a hospital and barracks and this hill was fortified by Federal troops under Col. John Scott after their defeat at the Battle of Blue Mills Ferry, Sept. 17, 1861. A line of rifle pits was thrown up from the present location of . . . — Map (db m45555) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Clay County African American Pioneers
[Front] "Come, drink, all who thirst for freedom: The water fountain will no longer separate us as a people." During the Civil War era, one of every four Clay County residents was of African descent. Although sold in slave auctions and . . . — Map (db m68207) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Clay County American Revolution Veterans
Memorial to the Veterans of the American Revolution who once resided in Clay County James Arnold • William Boydston • Samuel Brown • Robert Burnside • William C. Corum • James Crowley • Joel Estes • Henry Green • Thomas Holland • John . . . — Map (db m68270) HM WM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Clay County Courthouse
This property built in 1935-36 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68186) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Clay County Historical Museum — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Drugstore built in 1877 by Daniel Hughes. Owned by Wm. Goodson after 1908. Operated by Joseph Simmons until 1945, then by Clarence Ferril. Purchased from Goodson estate complete with furnishings by Historical Museum in 1965. Walnut cabinets are . . . — Map (db m68128) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Col. John Thornton
was born Dec. 24, 1786 Died in Clay Co. Mo. Oct. 24, 1847 Col. commanding 28 Regt, 3 Brig. 1st Div. Mo. Militia from 1824 to 1829 on the extreme western border of Mo. during the Indian troubles. He represented Clay Co. in the . . . — Map (db m68107) HM WM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Confederate Soldiers
Erected in honor of the Confederate Soldiers of Clay County, Mo. 1904. In memory of the Daughters of the Confederacy of Clay County, Mo. This monument erected through the liberality of citizens of Clay County was concived . . . — Map (db m68105) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Doniphan – Hubbell House
From circa 1830 until 1925 a house stood on this site once occupied by Alexander W. Doniphan. A native Kentuckian, Doniphan practiced law in Clay County for 30 years, defended the Mormons, and founded William Jewell College. During the Mexican War . . . — Map (db m81735) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Faces of the Commonwealth
Immigrants from six continents settled in the rolling hills and prairies of Clay County in the vicinity of the Missouri River. — Map (db m68366) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — First Court House Site — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Originally John Owens' log tavern near Liberty Spring. Used for court sessions until 1831, when the permanent court house was built on the square. Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m68310) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — First National Bank
This property built in 1923 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1993 — Map (db m68130) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Founding Fathers
In 1803, President Thomas Jefferson buys the Louisiana Purchase from France for $15 million. It remains one of the greatest acquisitions in American history. In 1804, Jefferson sent Meriwether Lewis and William Clark to explore and map the . . . — Map (db m68373) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Frank Hughes Memorial Library
This property built in 1940 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68235) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — General Alexander William Doniphan
Born in Mason Co. Ky. July 3, 1808, and died at Richmond Mo. Aug. 8, 1887 An orator, jurist, statesman, soldier and a Christian ——————— Colonel commanding the United States troops at the . . . — Map (db m68106) HM WM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Goldman-Duckworth House — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
"Steamboat Gothic" design, circa 1870's. Owned by Manheim Goldman, the first permanent Jewish settler in the metropolitan area who operated a store in Liberty. Twice Mayor of Liberty, a founder and chief benefactor of the Odd Fellows Home. . . . — Map (db m68239) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Grand River Baptist Church — Organized December 14, 1833
This plaque was presented to the church December, 1963, in memory of Mr. Hadley Brown (1887-1962), who helped to construct this building in 1918. — Map (db m68266) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Intelligencia
In 1849 William Jewell College was founded by Dr. William Jewell under the auspices of the Missouri Baptist Convention. Jewell Hall is on the National Register of Historic Places. Liberty Ladies College, a private college for women, was opened . . . — Map (db m68314) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Jesse James Bank Museum — Clay County Historical Society Historical Landmark
Built in 1858, only ante-bellum building remaining on the square. Originally housed a branch of the Farmer's Bank. Scene of first daylight robbery in 1866, supposedly by James-Younger gang. Restored to original appearance by Jack Wymore. . . . — Map (db m68210) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — John Dougherty
John Dougherty, a wealthy landowner and Indian agent, stands before his Little Dixie plantation, Multnomah. Dougherty witnessed the area's early history unfold between his birth in 1791 and his death in 1860. As depicted in these ceramic murals, . . . — Map (db m68269) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Jurisprudence
Col. John Thornton, Elisha Cameron and James Gilmore served as the county's first administrative judges. They met at Owen's Tavern until a brick courthouse was built and later burns. In 1869, a second courthouse was constructed. A wooden statue . . . — Map (db m68275) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Kansas City to Liberty to Excelsior Springs Interurban Depot
An Interurban Train Depot once stood just east of this location. Erected in January 1913 by the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway, the depot served as a terminal for passenger and freight service as part of an electric railway that . . . — Map (db m68244) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Lewis and Clark Mural — Dedicated June 24, 2005 — Artist: David McClain
The Clay County Fine Arts Council commissioned this mural in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery expedition. The artist's version shows the expedition stopping at sundown to set camp along a bend . . . — Map (db m68309) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty
[Front] Early border town, prominent trading and outfitting center, and one of the farthest northwest of U. S. towns to be based on southern culture and economy. Settled about 1820, mainly by southern pioneers, the town became the seat of . . . — Map (db m81749) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Lodge No. 49 I.O.O.F.
This property built in 1923 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68211) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Mormon Jail
Site of Liberty Jail built in 1833 and used by Clay County in 1856. Joseph Smith and associates held here awaiting trial in 1838-39. Restored as a Historic Site by the Mormon Church in 1963. — Map (db m90343) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Presbyterian Church — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Organized in 1829, first building on this site in 1852, present one in 1888. Additions follow the same architectural pattern. This was the first "Old School" Presbyterian in the County. Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m68241) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Tribune — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Established by Robert Hugh Miller in 1846, and continually published since. Oldest weekly newspaper west of the Mississippi River. Has had several locations. Bough by Townsend Publications. Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m68212) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Lightburne Hall — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Built in 1852 by Major Alvan Lightburne as his private residence. This 24 room Greek Revival plantation home is one of Northwest Missouri’s largest surviving antebellum mansions. Union soldiers camped on the grounds during the Civil War. Restored in . . . — Map (db m46678) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Lucy A. Ward Love — Born Mass., 1813 — Died Mo., 1891
A pupil of Mary Lyon, Mt. Holyoke Seminary, Mass. Twenty-five years a teacher in Central and Western Mo., and with her husband, James Love, A.D. 1855, founded Clay Seminary — Map (db m68110) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Mass Grave Site
The undulations in the ground behind this plaque mark the site of the mass burial of 17 men killed at the Battle of Liberty on September 17, 1861. These Federal soldiers came to Liberty to prevent Confederates from joining General Price at the seige . . . — Map (db m45569) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Methodist Episcopal Church Founded 1822 — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
This small frame church was built circa 1842 and is one of the oldest remaining buildings in Liberty. It is build of brick and stucco and has served several uses. In 1855 it became part of the Clay Seminary, an all girls school. One of its most . . . — Map (db m45678) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Passing Pleasures, Tourist Treasures
Clay County offers a variety of interesting choices for visitors. History buffs can visit the Jesse James farm in Kearney, the Elms Hotel, once a popular mineral water destination in Excelsior Springs, the Woolen Mill at Watkins Mill State Park . . . — Map (db m68365) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America Dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty 40th . . . — Map (db m68481) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Riverview — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Believed built by Graham Hughes 1849. Brick kitchen added 1860, interior woodwork 1880. Owned by Wynoop Kiersted, Civil Engineer 1903-1934 and by descendants until 1959. Present owners are Mr. and Mrs. Howard Pavelchek. — Map (db m46577) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Sacred Waters
Mineral waters were tapped as an economic and health benefit in the 1936 dedication of the Hall of Waters in Excelsior Springs. Early Plains Indians had built communities within the county. In hopes to preserve their legacy, archeologist and . . . — Map (db m68321) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Scales and Rails
In 1860 Watkins Mill became the first industry in Clay County. Major industries that followed were Cook Paint and Varnish in 1913, Ralston Purina Company in 1940's and the Claycomo Ford Assembly Plant in 1951. The ASB Bridge was built in 1912 . . . — Map (db m68311) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Site of First Daylight Bank Hold Up in United States
Clay County Savings Association robbed of $60,000 February 13, 1866 Attributed to Jesse James Gang — Map (db m68209) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — St. Luke A.M.E. Church — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Organized in 1875 by Rev. Jesse Mills. First church built in 1876. Present structure dedicated 1942 under pastorate Rev. A.G. Thurman, who also supervised construction. 104th anniversary celebrated 1979 under Rev. Jack Wills. — Map (db m68240) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Suburban Archways
To meet the needs of an increasing population, Antioch Shopping Center was built in 1955. The Northland Fountain, dedicated in 1983, and Tryst Falls provide beauty and enjoyment to many. — Map (db m68322) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri
“The Deer in the Morning & evening are feeding in great numbers on the banks of the River, they feed on young willow, and amuse themselves running on the open beeches or points.” William Clark, June 25, 1804.

The Lewis and . . . — Map (db m46694) HM

Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — The Liberty Landing
The Liberty Landing, also known as Baxter’s Landing, located at the base of the bluffs one half mile west of Missouri 291 Highway, played a significant role in the history and development of Liberty, Missouri as well as Clay County. In use from 1829 . . . — Map (db m46604) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — The Liberty Spring
. . . — Map (db m46205) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — The Trenches On The Hill
Rumors of a Confederate Invasion which would include the burning of Liberty and a raid on Fort Leavenworth resulted in the fortifying of this hill in April, 1862. Doors from nearby homes were used to line the trench across the hill. This marker is . . . — Map (db m46619) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Veterans Memorial
Our veterans will never be forgotten in the County of Clay. Though all their names we do not know to this day, this memorial is dedicated to each one and all, past, present, and future for their courageous efforts to duty for our great nation . . . — Map (db m68453) WM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — War Memorial — (Left: Anguish and Right: Serenity)
Missouri soldiers from all the great wars are flanked on each side by white doves. The North and South acknowledges each other with a wave. — Map (db m68312) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — World War Memorial — Lest We Forget
In memory of the heroic achievements of Clay County Men in the World War 1917 - 1918 — Map (db m68126) WM
Missouri (Clay County), North Kansas City — Curran Park
February 3, 1903, Chicago meat packers Armour & Company and Swift & Company founded the North Kansas City Development Company. It purchased from Willard E. Winner several thousand acres of Clay County property immediately north of the Missouri . . . — Map (db m73534) HM
Missouri (Clay County), North Kansas City — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this replica of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty . . . — Map (db m73540) HM
Missouri (Clay County), North Kansas City — The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri
...the high lands which is on the Northe Side [just above the Blue Water river] does not exceed 80 feet high, at this Place the river appears to be Confined in a very narrow channel, and the Current Still more So by Couenter [counter] Current . . . — Map (db m67770) HM
Missouri (Clay County), North Kansas City — War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m73561) WM
Missouri (Clay County), North Kansas City — War Memorial
War Since recorded history, one of the tragedies of man's existence is war. Wars are started by leaders and finished by citizens of the country they represent - and always at a terrible cost in human lives. These memorials will help you . . . — Map (db m73566) HM WM
Missouri (Clinton County), Cameron — 1st Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade
Placed here on March 17, 1981 by Frank McQuinn, John Pete O'Connell, and Jim O'Connor in celebration of the 1st Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade as a symbol dedicated to honor the Irish families that helped settle this area of Missouri. — Map (db m67374) HM
Missouri (Clinton County), Cameron — Cameron Railroads

In the 1920's Cameron boasted over 40 trains a day and three active stations, including the elaborate Cameron Junction, described as one of the most popular and elegant eating houses in the West.

Two Cameron men are credited with initiating . . . — Map (db m86717) HM

Missouri (Clinton County), Cameron — John T. Walker — Rock Island Lines — 1852 • 1922
The memorial tree planted nearby is dedicated by the Rock Island in affectionate memory of John T. Walker who by his industry courage and loyalty through every vicissitude signally aided in the development of the Chicago Rock . . . — Map (db m67375) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Carnegie Library

Designated Landmark City of Jefferson — Map (db m84654) HM

Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Cole County World War Memorial
In Memory of the men from Cole County who died in the service of their state and country in the World's War 1917 to 1918 [Roll of Honored Dead] — Map (db m62237) WM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Corps of Discovery — (1804 - 1806)
Meriwether Lewis • William Clark York • Seaman • George Drouillard ——————— Sculptor: Sabra Tull Meyer Columbia, Missouri Project Designer: Austin Tao St. Louis, Missouri . . . — Map (db m62317) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Exchange Bank
Missouri State Capitol Historic District Entered on the National Register of Historic Places Bicentennial 1776 - 1976 — Map (db m62238) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Grace Episcopal Church

Designated Landmark City of Jefferson — Map (db m84688) HM

Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — James A. Houchin House

Designated Landmark City of Jefferson — Map (db m84628) HM

Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Jefferson City
Front The capital of Missouri, officially named the City of Jefferson in honor of the third U.S. President, is built on a site chosen by the First General Assembly, 1821, for a seat of government. St. Charles, until 1826, was the temporary . . . — Map (db m62394) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Jefferson City Greenway: — Lewis and Clark Trailhead Plaza
The Jefferson City Greenway is a linear park that serves as a conduit for non-motorized travelers to gain access to recreation areas, natural and cultural features, schools and businesses. The greenway is a multi-use trail designed to provide a . . . — Map (db m62318) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Judge J. C. Young House

Designated Landmark City of Jefferson — Map (db m84650) HM

Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Lewis and Clark Expedition
Commemorating the Lewis and Clark Expedition which explored these hills June 3 and 4, 1804 Cedar Island and Cedar Creek on the north shore of the Missouri River are especially mentioned in the Original Journals Of The . . . — Map (db m62388) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Missouri Governor's Mansion — Built 1871

Designated Landmark City of Jefferson — Map (db m84622) HM

Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Missouri Motor Carriers Association Building
George W. Burruss, President Robert W. Wilson, Vice-President Dedication September 26, 2003 The Missouri Motor Carriers Association proudly dedicates this building in honor of these great men who have served the trucking industry with . . . — Map (db m62223) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association
On February 20, 1823, the U.S. government granted the land on which this building stands to the State of Missouri "for the purpose of fixing their seat of government thereon." The land was subsequently divided into 40 town lots, the first sale . . . — Map (db m62386) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Missouri State Penitentiary Warden's House

Designated Landmark City of Jefferson — Map (db m84624) HM

Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Monroe House
Missouri State Capitol Historic District Entered on the National Register of Historic Places Bicentennial 1776 - 1976 — Map (db m62236) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this replica of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty . . . — Map (db m62315) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Robert William Wells — 1795 - 1864 — Site of Residence

Designer Missouri State Seal 1822

Attorney General of Missouri 1826 - 1836

Judge U.S. District Court for Missouri 1836 - 1857

Judge U.S. District Court Western District of Mo. 1857 - 1864

President Constitutional . . . — Map (db m84716) HM

Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Site of Price Mansion
For 63 years scene of Missouri's political and social activity Erected in 1842 by General Thomas Lawson Price 1809 - 1870 First Mayor of Jefferson City 1839 Lieut. Governor of Missouri 1849 Appointed Brigadier General by . . . — Map (db m62221) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Soldiers' Memorial Plaza — Courage • Sacrifice • Education • Equality • Humanity
Dedicated to the Officers and Soldiers of the 62nd and 65th United States Colored Infantries Lincoln University was founded by the black enlisted men of the 62nd and 65th United States Colored Infantries and their white officers who . . . — Map (db m62284) HM WM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Spanish-American War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m62390) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Temple Beth El
The Missouri American Jewish Tercentenary Service commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the first Jewish settlement in the United States was held here on September 19, 1954. Missouri State Capitol Historic District . . . — Map (db m62260) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — The Corps of Discovery in the Jefferson City Area
On June 4, 1804, a keelboat and two pirogues containing the members of the Corps of Discovery passed this spot as they headed upstream to the headwaters of the Missouri River and across the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. The Lewis and . . . — Map (db m62379) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — The Exchange National Bank Building
Missouri State Capitol Historic District Entered on the National Register of Historic Places Bicentennial 1776 - 1976 — Map (db m62227) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — The Missouri River Valley as a Transportation Corridor
Lewis and Clark, 1804 "The object of your mission is to explore the Missouri river, & such principal stream of it, as, by its course & communication with the water of the Pacific ocean may offer the most direct & practicable water . . . — Map (db m62349) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — The State Capital During The Civil War — A State Divided: The Civil War in Missouri
Jefferson City witnessed many dramatic events during the Civil War. In the early months of the war, Secessionists and Unionists engaged in a tense contest for dominance. It ended in the hasty flight of the elected pro-Southern government and its . . . — Map (db m62402) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — The Tennessee House
Missouri State Capitol Historic District Entered on the National Register of Historic Places Bicentennial 1776 - 1976 — Map (db m62225) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Thomas Jefferson — 1743 - 1826
Third President of the United States Author of the Declaration of Independence and Father of the Louisiana Purchase Patria — Map (db m62220) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Willis Porter Corwin — 9ABD
On this site, during the night hours of January 27, 1917, eighteen year old Willis Porter Corwin received and re-transmitted three Morse Code messages, which became the first successful one-way transcontinental relay of formal message traffic in . . . — Map (db m62312) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Young-Ewing House

Designated Landmark City of Jefferson — Map (db m84653) HM

Missouri (Cooper County), Blackwater — Blackwater Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to All Veterans Past Present & Future WWI • WWII • Vietnam Harold Dean Waller • Vietnam James Paul Barton • Vietnam John Wesley Dial • World War II Aubrey Embrey • World War II Glenn Alley • World War II Charles H. . . . — Map (db m44105) HM
Missouri (Cooper County), Blackwater — Osage Chieftain
The Osage Indians thought so much of the French Explorer, Pierre Chouteau, as a fur trader, that on March 19, 1792 they gave him land along the Lamine River including what is now Blackwater township, Pilot Grove township and of course, the once . . . — Map (db m44103) HM
Missouri (Cooper County), Boonville — Battle of Boonville — A State Divided: The Civil War in Missouri
On June 17, 1861, the Battle of Boonville took place at this and other locations along this road. By most standards of warfare, the Battle of Boonville was more truly a skirmish or demonstration than a full blown battle. But small conflicts can . . . — Map (db m46060) HM
Missouri (Cooper County), Boonville — Boonville
Side A: Historic Boonville's first settlers were pioneer Mother Hannah Allison Cole and her 9 children who located on the Missouri River bluffs where St. Joseph Hospital now stands, 1810. Hannah, whose husband William T. Cole was killed by . . . — Map (db m46067) HM
Missouri (Cooper County), Boonville — Boonville Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m45856) HM
Missouri (Cooper County), Boonville — Capture of Boonville
. . . — Map (db m45861) HM

1453 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 1053
Paid Advertisement