Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Ohio

4732 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 4332
 
The Silas Bingham House Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, July 14, 2008
The Silas Bingham House Marker
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — The Silas Bingham HouseCirca 1805
Silas Bingham arrived in Athens in 1797. His home, originally built on South College Street, is the oldest house in Athens and one of the few remaining examples of a two-story log building in the area. Since the commissioners held meetings in . . . — Map (db m10909) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Chauncey — 7-5 — Athens County Infirmary
In the first quarter of the nineteenth century, when the general public believed that the insane and paupers could be rehabilitated into productive citizens, the Ohio Legislature gave authorization to county commissioners to establish county . . . — Map (db m122758) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Coolville — The Coolville Bridge1930-2006
Two bridges previously spanned the Hocking River at this location, to carry State Route 144 traffic, connecting the Village of Coolville to the railroad at Coolville Station on the east side. The first bridge was a wooden covered bridge built in . . . — Map (db m130353) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Glouster — Glouster Korea-Vietnam War Memorial
Korea For those who made the Supreme Sacrifice Vietnam For those who made the Supreme Sacrifice “Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind” John F. Kennedy, United Nations, . . . — Map (db m15574) WM
Ohio (Athens County), Glouster — 3-5 — Hisylvania Coal Company Mine No. 22
Approximately 150 feet east stood the Hisylvania Coal Company Mine No. 22 tipple, in use from 1912 to 1925. The company name was derived from combining “Ohio” and “Pennsylvania,” home states of its founders. Coal came from . . . — Map (db m15573) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Glouster — Trimble Township War Memorial
In Memory of the men who made the Supreme Sacrifice 1917 World War I 1918 James Cox • Frank McCann • Roy Sampson 1941 World War II 1945 Virgil Brooks • Robert C. Brown • Ernest Burdiss • Paul Byers • Cloyd Clemons • Andrew . . . — Map (db m15575) WM
Ohio (Athens County), Hamley Run — Snake Ridge Lookout Tower
Reconstructed on this site, this lookout tower once stood off S.R. 278 southwest of Nelsonville in Athens County. Known as the Snake Ridge Lookout Tower this tower was originally built in 1939. Many of the lookout towers were built by the . . . — Map (db m28511) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Jacksonville — Todd and Tony Carr Memorial
Jacksonville Volunteer Fire Department In memory of Todd Carr Died June 27, 1989 and Tony Carr Died March 21, 1989 Volunteer Firemen Always there when needed — Map (db m15610) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Millfield — Millfield Coal Mine DisasterNovember 5, 1930
Ohio's worst mine disaster occurred in this Sunday Creek Coal Company mine when an explosion killed 82 persons. Among the dead were the company's top executives who were in the mine inspecting new safety equipment. Nine hours after the explosion, . . . — Map (db m15611) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Millfield — Millfield Mine No. 6 - 1205 Disaster
In memory of the Millfield Mine No. 6 - 1205 disaster Nov. 5, 1930 Roy Andrews• J. H. Bergin• Delmar Bower• John Bower• George Brown• Sam Brown• William Brown• Paul Burgess• Alex Burmich• Joe Butsko• John Butsko Michael . . . — Map (db m15614) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Camp Site of Lord Dunmore1774
Rock weights were in drawbridge at Harper Street crossing of Hocking Canal. — Map (db m10892) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Daniel Nelson
This tablet is erected in honor of Daniel Nelson founder of Nelsonville who donated the ground for the Fort Street Cemetery the Public Square and this lot for School and Meeting House purposes This stone was a part of the doorway . . . — Map (db m37040) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — E. M. Poston1862-1931 — A Native of Nelsonville —
Built the first A.C. electric generator, west of the Allegheny Mountains, on Myers Street in Nelsonville, Ohio, in 1888. — Map (db m37037) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Fort Street CemeteryHistorical Site
. . . — Map (db m37283) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Hocking Canal Site1840–1940
This section of Route 33 in the City of Nelsonville is constructed on the site of the former Hocking Canal. This early waterway, a tremendous factor in the industrial development of the Hocking Coal District of Ohio, was completed to this . . . — Map (db m34217) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — 1-5 — Hocking Valley Railway
The arrival of the Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad in 1869 led to the decline of the Hocking Canal and assured Nelsonville's prominence as a major shipping point of coal and industrial products. The portion of the railway from Logan in . . . — Map (db m43240) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — 34 — Nelsonville"An Act of Devilishness" — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Confederate raiders, wearied by the relentless Union pursuit, crossed the Hocking River into Nelsonville in the mid-morning of July 22, 1863. They found the town almost abandoned. Nelsonville's local . . . — Map (db m130371) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — 6-5 — The Hocking Valley Coal Strike1884-1885
Side A: Following a wage reduction from 70 to 60 cents per ton after many Hocking Valley coal mines consolidated in 1883, the Ohio Miners' Amalgamated Association struck on June 23, 1884. The operators responded by offering an even smaller . . . — Map (db m37019) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Unknown Soldier Monument
In Memorial to all Unknown Dead in all Wars Known Only to God — Map (db m37282) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — Veterans' Memorial
Center marker: In Honor and Tribute To All Veterans of All Wars Aug. 20, 1972 Presented by Parade of the Hills Left marker: In Honor and Memory of the Vietnam Conflict Veterans Presented by Parade of the Hills . . . — Map (db m37021) WM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Buckland — The Mystery Stone — Usually Ignored in Light of the Frontier Marker Next to It —
The Mystery Stone when the middle pier of the railroad trestle spanning the Auglaize River was replaced in the mid 1940’s this sculpted stone was discovered as part of it. The stone was subsequently donated to the Village of Buckland by the . . . — Map (db m80773)
Ohio (Auglaize County), Buckland — White Feather's TownShawnee Village on the Auglaize River
The Shawnee chief Na-Wa-Ba-She-Ka or White Feather resided here- in the town which was located on both sides of the Auglaize River. A North- South trail paralleled the river and ran through the town on the east bank. The same trail went through an . . . — Map (db m74880) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Cridersville — 4-6 — Town Pond Reservoir Cridersville's Great Fire of 1918
Side A: The Village of Cridersville was founded in 1856. With the discovery of oil in 1885 the village prospered and grew quickly. Its business district developed along Main Street in the first block east of the railroad. The Town Pond . . . — Map (db m28668) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Kossuth — Bloody Bridge
During the canal years of the 1850's a rivalry grew between Bill Jones and Jack Billings for the love of Minnie Warren. This became hatred by Bill because Minnie chose Jack. On a fall night in 1854, returning from a party, Minnie and Jack were . . . — Map (db m80159) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Minster — Cholera Marker
In pious memory of all our cholera victims over 300 especially of the year 1849 Eternal rest grant unto thee O Lord Erected in 1937 — Map (db m100145) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Minster — Francis J. Stallo's log cabin
Francis J. Stallo is the founder of Stallostown, which was later named Minster. This is the site where Stallo owned and built his double wide log cabin. He, Along with John Feldman, John Surham, Frederick Rohenkuhl, and three unknown others made the . . . — Map (db m102490) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Minster — Minster's Origins
In 1832, 97 Germans met in Cincinnati to purchase a section of land for settlement. Designated leader Francis J. Stallo and six others set out from Cincinnati on foot, heading to the land office in Miami County.

They had $800 in silver coins, . . . — Map (db m100247) HM

Ohio (Auglaize County), Minster — The Crescent Theater
This large 2-story brick structure served as the only Minster movie house for over 60 years. It opened in 1933 and boasted a stage, orchestra pit, and seating for 611 patrons. The first show was an animated Mutt & Jeff short film. During the silent . . . — Map (db m100142) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Minster — The Log Church
This was the site of the first Stallostown Mission Catholic Church in Minster, completed in 1835. The brick wall surrounding the gazebo is representative of the footprint, measuring approximately 40 feet wide and 60 feet long. It was 16 logs high . . . — Map (db m100144) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Bowstring Girder
Constructed in 1864, this is the oldest cast iron "bowstring girder" bridge in Ohio. Originally part of a three-span structure over the Auglaize River in Wapakoneta, the bridge was moved to Moulton Angle Road north of New Knoxville in 1904. In 1984, . . . — Map (db m22947) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Loramie Summit
The Miami Erie Canal, built 1825-1845, 244.5 miles long, was a transporter of passengers and freight between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. This section is Loramie Summit., a 21 mile plateau of water retained by Lock 1-N (this marker) and Lock 1-S at . . . — Map (db m22946) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Miami and Erie Canal, New Bremen
Lockkeeper's House The Lockkeeper's House was the residence of the Lockkeeper and his family. The Lockkeeper was on duty 24 hours a day, seven days per week, and was responsible for operating the lock as needed to move boats through the . . . — Map (db m22781) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Miami and Erie Canal, New Bremen
Locking Through Lock One North is one of 105 locks used to raise and lower boats traveling between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. Large wooden gates were built at each end of the lock to hold water in the lock. A boat, pulled by a team of . . . — Map (db m23062) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Pioneer Cabin
This home has been restored from logs and the floor plan of the second oldest cabin in Mercer County. It is an example of a shelter the earliest settlers used in the 1830's. At the first sign of spring, a German immigrant family would move north . . . — Map (db m100741) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — 2-6 — The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen
The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen Begun in 1833, the Miami Extension linked the Miami Canal in Dayton to the Wabash & Erie Canal at Junction. Engineering difficulties, epidemics and the Panic of 1837 delayed completion of the Extension . . . — Map (db m20023) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Knoxville — 7-6 — New Knoxville: The Ladbergen Kinship
Side 1 The history of New Knoxville provides one of the best examples of chain migration to America. After the Shawnee were removed from what would become Auglaize County, James Knox Lytle, cousin to James Knox Polk, purchased land in . . . — Map (db m92310) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Saint Johns — CatahecassaBlackhoof Memorial
Nearby sleeps Chief (Blackhoof) Catahecassa, last principle chief of the Shawnees prior to their removal to Kansas in 1832. This was Blackhoofs town where he lived and died in Sept. 1831, at the age of 109. He fought with the French against Braddock . . . — Map (db m16971) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Saint Marys — Saint Marys River
To the right is the Saint Marys River. This waterway was used by the Indians for generations as a route to hunting grounds in Kentucky. French, and later English traders traversed its course with trade goods in exchange for furs. James Girty, a . . . — Map (db m30258) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Spencerville — 1-6 — Fort AmandaOhio Historical Marker
[Marker Front] After Gen. William Hull's surrender at Detroit early in the War of 1812, most of Michigan Territory came under British and Indian control. To prevent a possible invasion of Ohio, Gen. William Henry Harrison, commander of . . . — Map (db m19826) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Spencerville — C — Fort AmandaOhio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m136597) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St Marys — The "Short Level" of the Miami and Erie Canal
To the left is the "Short Level" of the Miami and Erie Canal. The canal extension from Dayton to Toledo was completed in 1837. Linking the Great Lakes to the Ohio River. Travel took only five days to Toledo and six days to Cincinnati. The canal . . . — Map (db m29673) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Johns — Blackhoof's Last Home
Blackhoof: Born in Florida about 1721. Arriving in this vicinity 1783 - Surnames: Cut-The-We-Ka-Saw or Catahecassa - Principal Chief of Shawnee Indian Nation - erected here in 1822. In a clearing of the vast forest a two story 18'x24' log house - . . . — Map (db m29631) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Marys — Broadwell Mill
Broadwell Mill On this site a mill was constructed using a mill race for power. Destruction of the mill race by the 1913 flood ended operation. — Map (db m98845) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Marys — Fort St. Marys
Erected here in 1795 by General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, probably after the signing of the Greenville Treaty, on land ceded by the Indians. This area was also the site of the signing of the Treaty of St. Marys in 1818 (the Indian campsites being to the . . . — Map (db m19855) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Marys — C18 — Fort St. Marys / Fort Barbee / Girty TownOhio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m29605) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Marys — Grand Lake Saint Marys
Grand Lake Saint Marys, originally Mercer County reservoir was worlds largest man made lake when constructed in 1837-1841 Water supply for Miami-erie Canal from here to the Maumee River at Defiance - 17603 acres. in 1856 lake level lowered 5.4 feet . . . — Map (db m93080) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Marys — Miami and Erie CanalLock 13 — Ohio Dept. Natural Resources, Division of Water —
Ohio Dept. Natural Resources Division of Water Miami and Erie Canal Lock 13 <- .1 mile Canal Tumble .1 mile Lock 12 -> — Map (db m30260) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Apollo Command Module and Gemini Spacecraft Mock-ups
Apollo Command Module Mock-up The command module carried the three astronauts to the moon and back during the Apollo missions 1969-1972. The spacecraft is 10 ft. 7 in. tall and 12 ft. 10 in. diameter. It weighed 13,000 lbs. Gemini . . . — Map (db m20930) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Congressional Medal of Honor RecipientsState of Ohio, Auglaize County
United States of America Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients State of Ohio, Auglaize County Civil War Cpl Christian Schnell Mississippi 1863 — Map (db m12416) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 5-6 — Dayton and Michigan Railroad
Side A The Dayton and Michigan Railroad provided the single most important impetus to the growth and development of Wapakoneta. Although Wapakoneta had been platted in 1833, at the time of incorporation (1848), "the town was still without any . . . — Map (db m12406) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 3-6 — Dudley Nichols
Dudley Nichols was born in Wapakoneta in 1895, the son of Dr. Grant and Mary Mean Nichols. He spent his childhood in a home on this site and graduated from Blume High School before leaving Ohio. After working as a journalist in new York City, he . . . — Map (db m92116) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — F5D Skylancer
This Douglas F5D Skylancer was one of four originally constructed, and is the only example still in existence. It was flown by Neil A. Armstrong from September 1960 to September 1962 to simulate the flight characteristics of the space vehicle . . . — Map (db m20920) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 9-6 — Neil Armstrong's Boyhood Home
Side A Stephen and Viola Armstrong moved their family, including 13-year-old Neil and his younger siblings, June and Dean, to the house at 601 West Benton Street in 1944. Here, Neil explored his fascination with flying by reading aviation . . . — Map (db m126824) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Plank RoadWapakoneta to St. Mary’s — Original Route 33 —
Site of St. Marys – Wapakoneta plank road built 1850- 1852 of Burr and White Oak timber 3 to 5 ft in diam. cut and milled at Moulton financed by Wapakoneta – St Marys businessmen who charged toll for profit and maintenance. Replaced . . . — Map (db m77612) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 8-6 — Sts. Peter and Paul ChurchMother Church of the Petersburg Parishes
Saints Peter and Paul Church, Petersburg (1835), was the mother church for St. Joseph, Wapakoneta; St. John the Evangelist, Fryburg; St. Lawrence, Rhine; and Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Botkins. All were founded by German-Catholic . . . — Map (db m119322) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 6-6 — The Shannon Stock Company
Side A: The Shannon Stock Company, also known as Shannon's Famous Players, was a traveling theatre company based in Wapakoneta from 1913 until the Great Depression. Founded by Harry Shannon, the group included his wife Adelaide, their . . . — Map (db m29924) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Wapaghonetta Reservationthe Shawnee Reservation at Wapakoneta — the Eastern Boundary marker —
By the Treaties at the Maumee Rapids in 1817, and 1818 at St. Mary’s, the Shawnee Indians were given a reservation of ten miles by twelve miles. This being the eastern boundary line. Indian Towns within this area were Blackhoof’s (now St. Johns), . . . — Map (db m75195) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Wapakoneta (Wapaughkonnetta)
Council House (Capital) of the Shawnee from c.1798 until their forced removal to Kansas in 1832 — Map (db m12413) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Wapakoneta All Wars Memorial
Erected by the Disabled American Veterans Chapter 73 Wapakoneta, Ohio to their departed comrades and in memory of all veterans of all wars — Map (db m12414) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Wapakoneta Heritage Parkway
Plaque # 1 The Shawnee Indians were driven from the southern United States in the late 17th and early 18th centuries by white settlers and Catawba, Cherokee and Chickasaw Nations. the Shawnee were given permission by the Miamis and . . . — Map (db m86526) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Waynesfield — Headwaters of Scioto RiverReference Point of Ohio Land Surveys — The Ellusive Source of One of Ohio's Major Rivers —
Scioto River This is where the river starts and flowing southeast past Columbus, Circleville, and Chillicothe, joining the Ohio River at Portsmouth after a course of some 230 miles. Manchester Farm — Map (db m76598)
Ohio (Auglaize County), Waynesfield — Headwaters of the Auglaize RiverThe Flat Wet Praire where three major rivers begin
On the headwaters of the Auglaize River The watershed of Three Rivers originates within a distance of 1/2 mile from this point West- Miami East- Scioto North-Auglaize Susannah Russell Chapter DAR — Map (db m76609) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Waynesfield — Manchester School
This is the former site of a one room school house that was established in 1882. It later became known as the Manchester School. — Map (db m101810) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Waynesfield — Willow Branch Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all who serve (multiple service logos) — Map (db m93234) WM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — American Legion Post 168 Veterans Memorial
In Memory of All American Veterans Lest We Forget — Map (db m26745) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — B&O Railroad Tunnel
You are standing over a 423 foot man-made sandstone tunnel built by the railroad between 1864 and 1870. Located on the Pittsburgh-Columbus main line, up to 37 trains a day passed under East Main Street during the railroad’s heyday. The station, . . . — Map (db m21012) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — Barnesville Veterans Memorial
To honor those who have served to preserve this nation — Map (db m26752) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — Barnesville War Memorial
Lest We Forget Those Who Gave Their All For Our Country Our Honored W.W. I K.I.A. Wm. S. Bowen • Mansel E. Kaiser • George R. Higgins Our Honored W.W. II K.I.A. Edmund Bradfield • Wayne A. Thomas Wm. O. Cordner • Lewis Wade Paul . . . — Map (db m26864) WM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — 8-7 — Captina African Methodist Episcopal Cemetery
This cemetery stands as evidence of a once thriving African American farming community established in the 1820s. With the aid of community leader, Alexander "Sandy" Harper (c.1804-1889), Captina, originally called Guinea, became a stop on the . . . — Map (db m79263) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — 7-7 — Governor Wilson Shannon 1802-1877 / Barnesville’s Shannon Family
Governor Wilson Shannon (1802–1877), Ohio, first native-born governor, Wilson Shannon was born in February 1802 in the Mt. Olivet area near Barnesville. After attending Ohio University and studying law in Kentucky, he returned to Belmont . . . — Map (db m21055) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — Roby Cigar Museum
This small, backyard cigar company operated from 1900 to 1943. Mr. Roby's hand-made stogies or cigars were made here in this building by family members, with the help of 2 or 3 employees daily. It was located in Belmont, Ohio. This shop has . . . — Map (db m79272) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — September 11, 2001
We will never forget the tragic events of September 11, 2001 nor the lives that were lost Dedicated May 30, 2005 — Map (db m26862) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — The Village Bell
Dedicated to all veterans with appreciation for your service and sacrifice 2 August 2008 Home of the Free Because of the Brave — Map (db m26860) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — VFW Post 2792 Veterans Memorial
For God and Country in honor of those who served in all wars Lest We Forget Memorial Day 1979 — Map (db m26749) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — 19-9 — Watt Car and Wheel Company
Joseph Watt and son James H. started a small foundry in 1862 making plow points, window sash weights, and heating stoves. Later, brothers Stewart, Ross, and John W. joined and the name became J.H. Watt and Brothers. Securing a patent for a . . . — Map (db m26750) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 16-7 — Bellaire High School Clock Tower / Central School Clock Tower and Bell
Side 1 Bellaire High School Clock Tower The Bellaire High School Clock Tower was erected in 1925 as the second town clock to be mounted on Bellaire’s public schools. C.W. Bates of Wheeling designed this tower, built by C.D. Keyser & . . . — Map (db m78492) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — Civil War MemorialOur Fallen Heroes
. . . — Map (db m82483) WM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — Colonel John H. SullivanDedicated to the Life and Memory of
The Father of Bellaire, Ohio who "could hear more distinctly than other men, the footsteps of coming generations" In November 1854, Colonel Sullivan platted the Harris Farm for a community incorporated in 1860 as Bellaire City, and in . . . — Map (db m78495) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 18-7 — Cornelius D. Battelle, Methodist Circuit Rider / The First United Methodist Church, Bellaire
Side 1 Cornelius D. Battelle, Methodist Circuit Rider Cornelius D. Battelle was born July 13, 1807 in Washington County, Ohio. He entered the Methodist Episcopal Church on October 30, 1825 and the Pittsburgh Methodist Conference in . . . — Map (db m78493) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 9-7 — Imperial GlassGem of "The Glass City"
With ready access to raw materials, fuel, skilled labor, and transportation, the Ohio Valley became the center of the American glass industry during the late 1800s. Among dozens of local manufacturers, the Imperial Glass Company, founded in 1901 by . . . — Map (db m28439) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 14-7 — The Great Stone Viaduct
Construction of this Great Stone Viaduct began in 1870 at Union Street as an Ohio approach to the railroad bridge spanning the Ohio River. It was completed to Rose Hill in April 1871, and the entire bridge span connecting Ohio to West Virginia, of . . . — Map (db m28436) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 15-7 — Union Square and its Uses / The Question of Ownership
Side 1 Union Square and Its Uses Labeled "Union Square" on the first village maps, block 12 of the City of Bellaire was formed by joining portions of the Harris and Rodefer Farms in 1857. Used for tent shows, circuses, political . . . — Map (db m78494) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — War MemorialAnd These Our Dead In Honored Glory Rest
Dedicated in grateful tribute to the honor and sacrifice of those Citizens of the Bellaire Area who gave their lives in service to their country

Korea June 1950 - July 1953 Thomas G. Ault • James A. Beveridge • Donald L. . . . — Map (db m82482) WM

Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — West Washington Street World War II Honor RollLest We Forget

In Memoriam Armand Fana who made the supreme sacrifice

Bill Respole Prisoner of Japan's Bataan Death March

[Honor Roll of Veterans] — Map (db m82513) WM

Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — Willow Grove Mine
Hanna Coal Company's #10 Mine March 16, 1940 An explosion ripped through the Willow Grove Mine resulting in the death of 72 Ohio Valley men — Map (db m78503) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — World War I Memorial

Honor Roll

Faun Blaknee • Ernest Boue • Joseph E. Bricker • James F. Brown • Amedo Cappelletti • Leo J. Carey • Clarence E. Day • John De Paul • Sabitini Domiana • Robert H. Engelhardt • Harry E. Fabry • Adrian Genevriere • Louis . . . — Map (db m82511) HM

Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — World War II MemorialIn Memoriam — 1941 - 1945 —
To our brave men who sacrificed their lives to preserve our nation They Served That Liberty Shall Not Perish Andrews Bernard W. ∙ Angus Daniel ∙ Apicella Anthony ∙ Balch Lloyd R. ∙ Bass Clarence R. Jr. . . . — Map (db m83222) WM
Ohio (Belmont County), Belmont — 5-7 — Harley E. Warrick(1924–2000)
The last barn painter for the Bloch Brothers Tobacco Company of Wheeling, West Virginia, Harley Warrick painted thousands of barns with the familiar Mail Pouch Tobacco logo over his 48-year career. Mail Pouch transcended advertising to become a . . . — Map (db m1035) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Belmont — 2-7 — Mile Marker
The earliest highway signs along the National Road (Route 40) in Ohio were milestones located at one-mile intervals along the north side of the roadway. Each stone indicated the distance to Cumberland, Maryland, the eastern terminus of the National . . . — Map (db m78496) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Belmont — Welcome to the National RoadThe Historic National Road in Ohio
The National Road crosses six states from Baltimore, Maryland, to East St. Louis, Illinois. The road fulfilled the dreams of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson to build an all-weather route across the Allegheny Mountains to connect the Eastern . . . — Map (db m132703) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Blaine — 11-7 — Blaine Hill "S" Bridge / Blaine Hill Viaduct
Blaine Hill "S" Bridge The first Blaine Hill Bridge was constructed in 1828 as part of the National Road, the nation's first federally funded highway. This three-arch S-shaped structure, 345 feet in length, spans Wheeling Creek (a tributary of . . . — Map (db m12618) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bridgeport — 4-7 — Historic Bridgeport
Colonel Ebenezer Zane, one of the founders of Wheeling, laid out the village that became Bridgeport in 1806 on the site of Fort Kirkwood (1789). Originally named Canton, it acquired its present name after the bridge to Wheeling Island was built. The . . . — Map (db m515) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bridgeport — The National Historic Road in OhioThe Road That Helped Build The Nation — An All-American Road - National Scenic Highway —
Welcome to the National Road The National Road crosses six states from Baltimore, Maryland, to East St. Louis, Illinois. The road fulfilled the dreams of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson to build an all-weather route across the Allegheny . . . — Map (db m78502) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Colerain — Concord HicksiteFriends Meeting House
Colerain Township was the location of the earliest Quaker settlement and the first organized Friends Meeting in Ohio. The first meeting house was built in 1800. The log structure burned and was replaced with this brick building in 1815. The . . . — Map (db m89234) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Colerain — Josiah Fox1763 - 1847
A Quaker, he wielded great influence in ship design during the early years of our country 1794 clerk, United States War Department 1795- 1798 assistant Navy Constructor 1798- 1801 Navy Constructor and Superintendent of Buildings, Gosport, . . . — Map (db m89226) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Elizabethtown — 1-7 — Mile Marker
The earliest highway signs along the National Road (Route 40) in Ohio were milestones located at one-mile intervals along the north side of the roadway. Each stone indicated the distance to Cumberland, Maryland, the eastern terminus of the National . . . — Map (db m21058) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Elizabethtown — State of OhioDepartment of Transportation Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of the Ohio Department of Transportation who gave their lives to provide a safe and transportation system for Ohio travelers. — Map (db m70343) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Martins Ferry — Elizabeth Zane
In memory of Elizabeth Zane whose heroic deed saved Fort Henry in 1782 Erected May 30, 1928 — Map (db m28446) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Martins Ferry — Martins Ferry Pioneers
. . . — Map (db m28447) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Martins Ferry — 3-7 — Walnut Grove Cemetery
Side A: The Walnut Grove Cemetery is the burial place of members of the Zane and Martin families. Their graves lie within the brick enclosure. The cemetery is also the resting-place of many early Martins Ferry residents, including veterans of . . . — Map (db m28444) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Martins Ferry — 12-7 — William Dean Howells / James Arlington Wright
Side A: William Dean Howells "The Dean of American Letters" Author, editor, and social critic William Dean Howells (1837-1920) was born in Martins Ferry, the son of an itinerant printer and publisher. Self-educated, Howells learned the . . . — Map (db m28477) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Morristown — 10-7 — Morristown
Platted in 1802 by John Zane and William Chapline along the old Wheeling Road. Morristown was named for Duncan Morrison, an early settler, innkeeper, and Justice of the Peace. Older than the state itself. Morristown prospered into the mid-1800s, . . . — Map (db m287) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Powhatan Point — George Washington
On his journey down the Ohio River, Wednesday, October 24, 1770 noted in his diary "at the mouth of it (Captina Creek) we came abt 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and finding nobody there, we agreed to camp." Camped on return trip November 14 just above . . . — Map (db m78500) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Powhatan Point — 13-7 — Powhatan Point
First surveyed in 1849, Powhatan Point was laid out by Franklin Knox. The "point" is the confluence of Captina Creek and the Ohio River. The small but thriving river and farming community served York Township and the rich Captina Valley as a . . . — Map (db m78499) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Powhatan Point — 6-7 — The Coal Industry at Powhatan Point / Powhatan Disaster, 1944
Side 1 The Coal Industry at Powhatan Point The Pittsburgh No. 8 coal seam, located 100 feet below river level at Powhatan Point, extends across much of eastern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and northern West Virginia. The Cleveland and . . . — Map (db m78501) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), St. Clairsville — Belmont County Revolutionary War Veterans
This memorial plaque was placed by the Zane's Trace Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in grateful memory of those buried in the soil of Belmont County who loved country more than life and served in the American Revolution - 1775 - . . . — Map (db m26739) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), St. Clairsville — Belmont County Veterans Memorial
This memorial erected by the people of Belmont County dedicated to the veterans of all wars — Map (db m26742) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), St. Clairsville — Benjamin Lundy Champion of Freedom
On January 4, 1816, the date of his 27th birthday, Benjamin Lundy invited several friends to his home in St. Clairsville to lay the groundwork for a national anti-slavery society. St. Clairsville served as an Underground Railroad headquarters, . . . — Map (db m76508) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), St. Clairsville — 17-7 — Governor Arthur St. Clair 1734-1818
Born in Scotland. From 1787-1802, was first governor of the Northwest Territory, which included Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and part of Minnesota. St. Clair established territorial court system and Ohio’s first nine counties . . . — Map (db m76511) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), St. Clairsville — Home of Benjamin Lundy
. . . — Map (db m4955) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), St. Clairsville — In Honor of Sgt. Sylvester Antolak US ArmyMedal of Honor Recipient
Side A In Honor of Sgt. Sylvester Antolak US Army Medal of Honor in action taken near Cisterna Di Littoria Italy May 24, 1944 resident of Richmond Township

Side B Sylvester Antolak Sergeant US Army Company B 15th . . . — Map (db m89367) WM

Ohio (Belmont County), St. Clairsville — Medal of Honor Recipients of Belmont County
Gen. Henry Capehart Civil War Capt. Nathan H. Edgerton Civil War Capt. Samuel McConnel Civil War Sgt. Sylvester Antolak W.W. II Sgt. Emile DeLeau Jr. W.W. II — Map (db m89364) WM
Ohio (Belmont County), St. Clairsville — Milestone Marks where Extension of National Road...
Milestone marks where extension of National Road west of Ohio River was started July 4, 1825. Stone relocated 1964 — Map (db m5027) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Decatur — Byrd Township World War I DAR Monument
In honor of the boys of Byrd Township who served the American colors in the World War 1917- 1919 for liberty and humanity

Earl H. Baird · E. Victor Bennett · Walter F. Bennett · + Frank Brooks · George B. Brown · Alonzo Davis · John . . . — Map (db m122031) WM

Ohio (Brown County), Decatur — Decatur Civil War Monument
70th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Grand Army of the Republic 1861-1865 — Map (db m122029) WM
Ohio (Brown County), Decatur — 5-8 — Historic Decatur / A. N. Marquis and Who’s Who
Historic Decatur

Originally called St. Clairsville and platted in 1801, Decatur was named for early 19th century naval hero Stephen Decatur. It is among the oldest villages in Brown County, which before 1817 was a part of Adams County. . . . — Map (db m121885) HM

Ohio (Brown County), Fayetteville — Fayetteville Veterans Memorial
Dedicated in memory of United States Military Veterans Veterans of Foreign Wars Scanlon – Kelly Post 5920 Knights of Columbus Father Sourd Council 2423 Fayetteville Ohio 27 May 2013 — Map (db m95556) WM
Ohio (Brown County), Fayetteville — Vera Cruz WW II MemorialSt. Angela Merici Parish
In honor of God and in memory of the members of ths parish who served in World War II Flischel, Robert E. killed in action December 31, 1944 (38 names) — Map (db m95538) WM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — 2-8 — Dixon-Washburn Log House
This house originally stood at Logan’s Gap, Union Township. By tradition, it was constructed in 1783 by Indian scouts William Dixon and Cornelius Washburn who became residents of Brown County. Dixon lived in this house until 1800. — Map (db m135937) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — 3-8 — General Thomas Lyon Hamer1800-1846 — Teacher-Lawyer-Congressman-Soldier —
Master Mason (1824), Georgetown Lodge No. 72, Free and Accepted Masons. "...Hamer was one of the ablest men Ohio ever produced. I have always believed that had his life been spared, he would have been President of the United States..." . . . — Map (db m70909) HM WM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — 12 — GeorgetownRaiders in the Town Square — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan sent his brother, Colonel Richard Morgan, and about 200 Confederate raiders on a foraging expedition into Georgetown the morning of July 15, 1863. Elizabeth King wrote a letter to Ulysses S. Grant in 1884 . . . — Map (db m136005) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — 11-8 — Gist SettlementScott Township
Through the terms of his will, absentee British landowner Samuel Gist freed his 350 slaves in Virginia. Gist (c.1723-1815) intended that these freed people would remain on the land and receive instruction in Christianity and that schools . . . — Map (db m136037) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — The American Creed — Brown County Veterans Memorial —
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect . . . — Map (db m136034) WM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — The Washburn-Dixon Log House
Constructed in 1793 by William Dixon and Cornelius Washburn, Indian scouts who helped to clear for settlement the area that became Brown County. — Map (db m135967) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — Ulysses S. GrantNative Son — “...this place remained my home...” —
Commander of Union Army, 1864–1869. • 18th President of the United States, 1869–1877. • “Let Us Have Peace” —Ulysses S. Grant, 1968. — Map (db m136031) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — 1-8 — Ulysses S. Grant Boyhood Home
U.S. Grant, general-in-chief of the Armies of the United States, 18th president and first native Ohioan to be elected chief executive, lived in this house from 1824 to 1839. Jesse R. Grant, his father, built the original part fronting Water Street . . . — Map (db m70910) HM WM
Ohio (Brown County), Mt. Orab — Mt. Orab Korean and Vietnam MemorialCannon and Flag Pole
In memory of the men from the Mt. Orab area who served in the wars of Korea and Viet Nam and lost their lives in service of their country.

David L. Bingamon · Vietnam Darrell B. Boothby · Korea Kenneth R. Foreman · Korea . . . — Map (db m122528) WM

Ohio (Brown County), Mt. Orab — Mt. Orab Viet Nam Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m122527) WM
Ohio (Brown County), Mt. Orab — Mt. Orab WW I Memorial
In memory of the boys of Green, Pike and Sterling Townships who lost their lives in the World War 1917 – 18

Edgar B. Wardlow · Carroll R. Patton · Glen E. Morgan · Harry R. Snyder · Louis F. Sanders · Henry R. Newberry · . . . — Map (db m122530) WM

Ohio (Brown County), Mt. Orab — Mt. Orab WW II Memorial
In memory of the boys of Green, Pike and Sterling Townships who lost their lives in World War II.

Richard Boyd · Harold Pond Karl Bradney · Harold Pursley Charles L. Colthar · Paul Ridings Orene L. Cornelius · Wm. Josiah . . . — Map (db m122531) WM

Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Battery F Ripley / Ripley Cannon
Battery F, 1st Ohio Light Artillery, was organized in Ripley by Major Daniel T. Cockerill. It was heavily engaged at the Battle of Stone River, Tennessee, January 1, 1863. Aiding in the repulse of repeated attacks “with great slaughter,” . . . — Map (db m135379) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — 7-8 — Camp Ripley / Camp Ammen1861–1864
With news of hostilities at Fort Sumter in South Carolina, Ripley men formed one of Ohio’s first military units and established Camp Ripley on what was the 12-acre Ripley Fairgrounds. Chosen as Captain was West Point graduate Jacob Ammen. His unit . . . — Map (db m135348) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Doctor BeasleyAnti-Slavery Sympathizer and Advocate
This tablet marks the site of the residence of Doctor Beasley, anti-slavery sympathizer and advocate. In a night encounter at the ferry landing, both a master and a slave were severely wounded. The slave escaped but lay in the barn of Theodore . . . — Map (db m135540) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Eliza’s Tale
In the winter of 1838 a slave woman and her baby began their journey to freedom. To avoid capture in Kentucky she crossed the ice floes in the Ohio River to the safety of the Ripley Shore. The story of Eliza in Uncle Tom’s Cabin was based on . . . — Map (db m135537) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — First Home of Rev. John Rankin
This three-family dwelling was the first permanent home of famed Underground Railroad Conductor Rev. John Rankin. Rev. Rankin, wife Jean, and their young family settled in Ripley, Ohio, in 1822 when he accepted the call to become the minister of . . . — Map (db m135533) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — John P. ParkerAbolitionist & Underground Railroad Conductor — John P. Parker Memorial Park —
John Parker came to Ripley in 1847 and networked with other established conductors on Ripley’s Underground Railroad: Rev. John Rankin; Thomas, Eli & Theodore Collins, & Rev. James Gilliland. Before and during the Civil War, John Parker led a . . . — Map (db m135454) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — John P. ParkerIron Moulder & Industrialist — John P. Parker Memorial Park —
Parker and Hood Foundry was owned by John P. Parker and William Hood. They manufactured many farm and household items. They produced 3 sizes of sugar mills. The sugar mills crushed sugar cane or sorghum. The juice extracted could be made into . . . — Map (db m135471) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — John P. Parker Memorial Park
John P. Parker (1827–1900). Born into slavery. Bought his freedom at the age of 18. Underground Railroad Conductor. He helped hundreds of freedom seekers. Mentor to Colonel Charles Young. There is quiet symbolism built into this 1 . . . — Map (db m135477) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — John P. Parker’s Early Life — John P. Parker Memorial Park —
• Born into slavery 1827 • First sold at age 8 • Forced to march from Norfolk Virginia to Mobile Alabama • Bought by a doctor • The doctor’s sons taught him to read and write • Learned the trade of iron moulding • Bought his freedom at . . . — Map (db m135475) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — John Parker’s Path — John P. Parker Memorial Park —
“I knew him (John Parker) as a boy, as the man who was afraid to walk on the sidewalk. Winter and summer, rain or shine, he invariably walked in the middle of the street. He did so because Ripley was an old town with many narrow alleys, out of . . . — Map (db m135452) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Liberty MonumentThe Men Who Wrought For Liberty and The Men Who Fought For Liberty
(west-facing tablet) The men who wrought for Liberty were the forerunners of the Abolition Movement culminating in the Civil War. • They were the intermediaries between the anti-slavery men of the American Revolution and the anti-slavery . . . — Map (db m135396) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Mr. Thomas KirkerWith Whom General U. S. Grant Boarded
In 1838 Mr. Thomas Kirker resided in this house, with whom General U. S. Grant boarded, while attending the Whittmore private school, his parents living in Georgetown. — Map (db m135536) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Rankin House
Home of Reverend John Rankin, Underground Railroad Station 1828-1863 A State Memorial of the Ohio Historical Society — Map (db m70904) HM WM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Rear Admiral Joseph Fyffe
This tablet is erected to Rear Admiral Joseph Fyffe. On Jan. 25th, 1865, as commander of a wooden gun boat The Hunchback, he attacked alone two Confederate Iron Clads which retreated up the James. Admiral Fyffe always held that day in . . . — Map (db m135479) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — 4-8 — Ripley / The John P. Parker House
Ripley was incorporated as the village of Staunton in 1812. Its name was changed in 1816 to honor General Eleazer Wheelock Ripley, a hero of the War of 1812. In the years before railroads. Ripley was principal Ohio River shipping center. Also . . . — Map (db m135431) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — 8-8 — Ripley and the Ohio River
A part of the Virginia Military District, Ripley was founded in 1812 by Colonel James Poage, a veteran of the Revolutionary War. Originally named Staunton, after Poage’s home town in Virginia, the village comprised 1,000 acres along the Ohio river. . . . — Map (db m135427) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Site of the Home of Senator Alexander Campbell
This tablet marks the site of the home of Senator Alexander, doctor, merchant, and early anti-slavery leader. A Virginian by birth, he moved to Ohio in 1803, freeing his slaves. U.S. Senator from 1809 to 1813. At the burning of the Capitol by the . . . — Map (db m135720) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — The John P. Parker FamilyJohn Percival (1827–1900) & Miranda (Boulden) Parker (1831–1920) — John P. Parker Memorial Park —
John and Miranda had seven children. 1. John P. Parker, Jr. (1849–1871), Oberlin College. Died while in college. 2. Hale Giddings Parker (1851–1925), Oberlin College and Law School. Was Superintendent & Lawyer. 3. Cassius Clay . . . — Map (db m135474) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — The Residence of General Granville Moody“The Fighting Parson”
This tablet marks the residence of General Granville Moody, ‘The Fighting Parson,’ preacher and soldier. At the laying of the cornerstone of the Methodist Church, like Elijah of old, he prayed that an impending storm be stayed, and the clouds hung . . . — Map (db m135503) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — 9-8 — The Squirrel Hunters
The American Civil War was in its second year, and Confederate forces were advancing in the east and in the west. Confederates led by General Edward Kirby Smith had defeated a Union Force at Richmond, Kentucky on August 30, 1862. Word was received . . . — Map (db m135372) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Russellville — B — Logan's Crossing 1796 Directional MarkerOhio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail $50 Fine or 10 days imprison- ment or both for defacing this marker Ohio State General Code Section 12489 — Map (db m137356) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Russellville — Russell ShawPioneer and Patriot
. . . — Map (db m122128) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Bethany — 19-9 — First Jain Temple in Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio
Side A: First Jain Temple in Ohio "Souls render service to one another" The Jain Center of Cincinnati and Dayton was established on April 22, 1979 as a non-profit tax-exempt organization under the laws of the United States and the State of . . . — Map (db m24073) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Busenbark — 8-9 — Busenbark / Dr. Charles F. Richter1900 - 1985 — An originator of the Richter Scale —
Side A: Busenbark In 1833, Robert Busenbark deeded land to the directors of School District No. 6 for Busenbark School. Twenty years later, Robert and son David granted a right-of-way on their property for a station on the Cincinnati, . . . — Map (db m28533) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Fairfield — 16-9 — Elisha Morgan Farm Mansion
Elisha Morgan purchased 48.6 acres in Fairfield Township, part of the Symmes Purchase, in 1817. The Farm Mansion was built shortly after he settled the land. The house incorporates two prevalent architectural styles in southwest Ohio in the . . . — Map (db m116553) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Fairfield — Ezekiel Walker - Revolutionary War Soldier
Sergeant • Northern Continental Army Captain James Osgood’s Company of Rangers enlisted July 15, 1775 born February 22, 1745, in Rumsford, NH died July 22, 1823 in Butler Co., OH marker placed by John Reily Chapter, NSDAR and . . . — Map (db m116555) HM WM
Ohio (Butler County), Fairfield — Hay GardenElisha Morgan Mansion
The Hay Garden features an antique hand pump that was donated by Ed and Kathy Creighton. The original pump was just outside the side door of the mansion.

John Hay, the owner in 1831, was the father of Mary Ann Hay, first wife of David Huston. . . . — Map (db m116704) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — A Pioneer Family
The Stewart family lived constantly in Butler County for over 200 years. 1802 to Present Gift to City of Hamilton by: John Antenen Stewart, M.D. Marian Vail Stewart, M.T. September 1, 2002 — Map (db m73637) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 28-9 — Abraham Lincoln's 1859 Hamilton Speech
Abraham Lincoln spoke from the rear of a Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad passenger train on Saturday September 17, 1859, to about 1000 people at South Fourth and Ludlow streets (about 785 feet south of here). Lincoln, elected president of the . . . — Map (db m122279) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Beckett Homesite
On this site stood a square two-story brick farmhouse occupied by Wiiliam Bebb and built in 1835. After he was elected nineteenth Governor of Ohio, William Bebb sold his house in 1848 to William Beckett, founder of Beckett Paper Company, who . . . — Map (db m116670) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 2-9 — Bethel Chapel 1815- 1873Historic Bethel Presbyterian Cemetery
William Holmes McGuffey, author of the Eclectic Series of Readers, was ordained a Presbyterian minister in a log meeting house on this site in 1829. The ordination was performed by Robert Bishop, President of Miami University, and other ministers . . . — Map (db m107745) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 31-9 — Bunker Hill / Dog Town
Bunker Hill The Millville, Reilly and Milton Turnpike brought prosperity to the village now renamed Bunker Hill. School House No. 10 stood nearby from 1849-1857. By 1860 clothing manufacturing was the major business here. A Post Office was . . . — Map (db m107801) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 43-9 — Butler County Children’s Home1869- 1985
Side A The Civil War created orphaned and impoverished children across the nation. To establish a home for area children, a group of Hamilton women met with Reverends Thane Miller and Benjamin W. Chidlaw in January 1869. By May, the women . . . — Map (db m137852) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 22-9 — Butler County Courthouse
Side A: Butler County was created on March 24, 1803, about three weeks after Ohio became a state. Hamilton won the competition for the county seat, thanks to Israel Ludlow, Hamilton's founder. Ludlow's donation of the public square secured . . . — Map (db m28546) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 3-9 — Champion Hamilton Mill
Side A: The Champion Coated Paper Company began production here April 15, 1894, with nine employees under the direction of Peter G. Thomson (1851-1931), a Cincinnati businessman, who had incorporated the firm in November 1893. Thomson, . . . — Map (db m28547) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Cosmopolitan No. 4
110 yards from the back of this marker on the present southeast corner of 4th and Butler Streets stood the Cosmopolitan Arms Company, founded by Edward Gwyn and Abner C. Campbell, where carbines for the Union Army were manufactured during the Civil . . . — Map (db m122283) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Earliest Industry
Mills were essential in the settlers' struggle to convert their land from a debt to an asset. Financial survival depended on access to grist mills, saw mills and carding mills - the trading complexes and community centers on the Ohio frontier. . . . — Map (db m73595) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 39-9 — Fannie Hurst - Author, Humanitarian and Advocate
Author Side

Raised and educated in St. Louis, author Fannie Hurst (1885-1968) was born in Hamilton at 918 Central Avenue, the home of her maternal grandparents. She was the daughter of Rose Koppel and Samuel Hurst. Already a writer as a . . . — Map (db m122411) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Flatboats and Early Trade
Because water was the most efficient way to transport goods, most early Ohio roads led to a navigable stream, such as the Great Miami River. Through the 1820s, much of Butler County's abundant agriculture output found its way to market on . . . — Map (db m73593) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Flood & Recovery
March 25, 1913, a record Great Miami River flood hit Hamilton, claiming more than 200 lives, leaving about 10,000 homeless and causing more than $10 million in property damage. Local survivors helped create the Miami Conservancy District - a . . . — Map (db m73594) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — C9 — Fort Hamilton
Built by General St. Clair in 1791, on his campaign against the Indians. It was enlarged in 1792 and used by General Wayne in 1793, on his march to Fallen Timbers. — Map (db m30661) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Founding of Fort Hamilton
On this spot in the year of our Lord 1791 General Arthur St. Clair founded Fort Hamilton. Here, in 1793 General Anthony Wayne organized his expedition against the Indians which gave to this Republic five great states. Here our . . . — Map (db m30657) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — French Exploration
Pierre-Joseph Celron, sieur de Bienville, with 200 to 250 French soldiers and some Indians, was sent in 1749 to renew and strengthen France's claim to the Ohio country and drive out the British. During navigation of the Allegheny, Ohio and Great . . . — Map (db m73591) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Gen. Anthony WayneFive Mile Spring — On the Trail, North of Fort Hamilton —
Gen. Anthony Wayne and his men camped here at Five Mile Spring September 1793 — Map (db m97797) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial
To Honor Our Fathers The Grand Army Of the Republic [Dedicated] May 30, 1941 — Map (db m73636) WM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Hamilton
Immortalized by William Dean Howells in his book "A Boy's Town" — Map (db m73627) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — OHS 41- 9 — Hamilton Airport- Hogan Field
Side A The Hogan Family owned and operated what was known as the Hamilton Airport for over 52 years. Airplane owner and pilot, Carl "Pop" Muhlberger and aviation enthusiast and farmer, Joe Hogan, co-founded the airport in July 1929. . . . — Map (db m137853) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Hamilton Civil War Memorial
Erected     A.D. 1936 by Veterans Memorial Association In honor of our soldier dead May they rest in peace G.A.R.     U.S.W.V. — Map (db m122558) WM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Hamilton Hydraulic
The privately developed Hamilton Hydraulic opened Jan. 27, 1845, providing cheap, reliable water power and starting Hamilton's era of industrial growth and diversification. Water was diverted into the hydraulic canal system from the Great Miami . . . — Map (db m73598) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Heritage Hall
Heritage Hall features rotating historical exhibits highlighting Hamilton's rich industrial and business heritage. It is the home of the Robert McCloskey Museum which honors the famous children's author and artist. Three of his books reflect his . . . — Map (db m73633) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — High-Main Street Bridge
The filled Spandrel concrete arch bridge previously located at this crossing was constructed by A.J. Yawger & Company in 1914 after the Flood of 1913. It was the fourth structure to cross the Great Miami River at this location. The bridge . . . — Map (db m73596) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 37-9 — Lane Public Library / Clark Lane
Side A

Clark Lane built this library in 1866 and donated it to the people of Hamilton two years later. The 1913 Great Miami River flood catastrophe damaged much of the building and many of its books and records. The refurbished library . . . — Map (db m122413) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 7-9 — Lane-Hooven House
Side A: James Elrick, a local carpenter, built the Lane-Hooven House in 1863 for Clark Lane (1823-1907), a Hamilton industrialist and philanthropist. Lane, who first came to the area at age twenty-one as a blacksmith, resided in the house for . . . — Map (db m28775) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Lentil Park
This park was established by the Hamilton Community Foundation on land owned by the city. It was one of several major legacy gifts to Hamilton by the Foundation in celebration of its 50th Anniversary. The Foundation wished to honor Hamilton's . . . — Map (db m73638) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Native American Trail
The site for Fort Hamilton was chosen because of a ford on the Great Miami River at the approximate site of the High - Main Street Bridge. That shallow crossing was believed to have been on an ancient Indian trail known as the Wabash Trail. The . . . — Map (db m73615) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Old Log Building
This log building, which was erected while this part of the country was still a wilderness, is a silent tribute to the courageous and hardy Americans who preceded you who read this. This tribute symbolizes the strength and character of which we are . . . — Map (db m30660) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 10-9 — Rossville Historic District
Side A: Rossville was settled in April 1801 shortly after the U.S. Government initiated land sales west of the Great Miami River. Its original proprietors--John Sutherland, Henry Brown, Jacob Burnet, James Smith and William Ruffin--named . . . — Map (db m28790) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Site of Fort Hamilton
Fort Hamilton was completed Sept. 30, 1791, and occupied by the U. S. Army commanded by Gen. Arthur St. Clair. The supply base was the first in a chain of outposts north of Cincinnati (Fort Washington) in the Northwest Territory. The log . . . — Map (db m73600) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 25-9 — Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul"
Side A: Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument The Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument was planned and promoted by Butler County Civil War veterans and financed by a county levy in 1899. The monument, built of Indiana Limestone, is . . . — Map (db m30705) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Symmes MonumentHollow Earth Theory
- “I declare the earth is hollow and habitable within,” said John Cleves Symmes in summarizing his “Theory of Concentric Spheres and Solar Voids” to a doubting scientific world in the early 1820’s. His theory is commemorated . . . — Map (db m116622) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The Dream of Hamiltonia
Relaxing by the Great Miami, Hamiltonia dreams. She dreams of children presenting her with the Helmet of Hope, a symbol for a bright future. - Norikazu T. Tsuchiya, Sculptor — Map (db m73597) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The High-Main Street Bridge
. . . — Map (db m73624) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The Hollow Earth MonumentGrave of Capt. John Cleve Symmes
Capt. John Cleves Symmes as a philosopher, and the originator of ‘Symmes Theory of Concentric Spheres and Polar voids.’ He contended that the Earth is hollow and habitable within.

Capt. John C. Symmes a Native of New . . . — Map (db m116618) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 1-9 — The Miami Canal
Side A

The dimensions of the canal channel were 26 feet wide at the bottom and 40 feet wide at the top. The depth of the canal averaged four and one-half feet. The 12 locks were 80 feet long with 14-foot wide interior chambers which could . . . — Map (db m122419) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The Old Well
of the original Fort Hamilton was located 31 feet west of this marker In memory of Carl E. Margedant — Map (db m30662) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Trinity Episcopal Church
An Episcopal Congregation was first established in Hamilton in 1823 as part of a missionary movement under Bishop Philander Chase who later became the founder of Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio. The present building was designed by Cincinnati . . . — Map (db m122284) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Veterans Memorial
May all who pause and are refreshed here reflect on those who went forth from their homes to defend American freedom ———————— This fountain, erected 1949, was conceived and sponsored by the . . . — Map (db m73622) WM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Veterans Memorial
In honor of all veterans in times of peace and war The patriots blood is the seed of the freedom tree -Thomas Campbell — Map (db m103416) WM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 36-9 — Warren Gard
Side A

Warren Gard (1873-1929), son of Samuel Z. Gard and Mary Duke, was born in Hamilton, Ohio. He established his practice in Hamilton after graduating from Cincinnati Law School and being admitted to the Ohio Bar in 1894. Gard served as . . . — Map (db m122416) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 12-9 — William Dean Howells
Author William Dean Howells (1837-1920) spent his boyhood from 1840 to 1848 in Hamilton. Called the "Dean of American Letters," Howells wrote 35 novels, 35 plays, 34 miscellaneous books, 6 books of literary criticism, 4 books of poetry, and . . . — Map (db m28772) HM

4732 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 4332
Paid Advertisement