Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Utah

796 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 596
 
Beaver Opera House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, June 16, 2014
Beaver Opera House Marker
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — N-404 — Beaver Opera House
The Beaver Opera House, built between 1908 and 1909, helped mark the beginning of the local citizens’ desire to build a “New Beaver” that would be the envy of other communities. The board of directors of the opera house were quoted as . . . — Map (db m1429) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — N-603 — Beaver Relief Society HallUtah Historic Site
Built in 1896, the Beaver Relief Society Hall is one of only two buildings in Beaver associated with the Relief Society, the organization for women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The building was used for general gathering . . . — Map (db m75580) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 64 — Beaver Stake Tabernacle
On this site in 1865-66 a tabernacle was erected by the pioneers. Built of local brick, lumber and stone. It was of pioneer architecture with a large assembly hall, gallery, full basement, a tower and large bell. This building was used for church . . . — Map (db m75614) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 570 — Beaver Territorial Courthouse
Beaver Territorial Courthouse is considered one of the finest examples of Pioneer architecture. The architect, K.A. Kletting, designed the building in the Queen Ann style with Victorian overtones. The courthouse was constructed under the direction . . . — Map (db m75581) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Enoch E. Cowdell HouseUtah Historic Site
The Enoch E. Cowdell house, named after the original owner, was constructed around 1873 with a hall parlor type floor plan. Although the hall parlor was one of the earliest housing types in Utah, it continued to be a popular floor plan (particularly . . . — Map (db m75572) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 67 — Fort Cameron(Located 2 miles east)
Established as the post of Beaver, May 15, 1872, by the 8th U.S. Infantry, Major John D. Wilkins, commanding. The military reservation, declared May 12, 1873, comprised two and two-thirds square miles. The name was changed July 1, 1874, to Fort . . . — Map (db m75575) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 327 — Fort Cameron - Murdock Academy
In 1872-73 a two and two-thirds mile square, protective military reservation was established following the request of C.M. Hawley, Associate Justice, Utah Territory. Built of native rock and lumber, it received 250 troops Sept. 7, 1873, Major John . . . — Map (db m75578) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Beaver-1 — Grimshaw HomeUtah Historic Homes
Built By: Duckworth Grimshaw, 1877 Registered By: The Harley Fotheringhams, 1/12/72 Construction Notes Original Portion Built of Black Volcanic Rock — Map (db m75574) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Joseph Tattersall HouseUtah Historic Site
The house was built c. 1877 for Joseph Tattersall, an early settler of Beaver City. It is a one-and-a-half-story tall building constructed of black rock--a hard, dense volcanic stone that is commonly found in the nearby foothills in small . . . — Map (db m75573) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 68 — Lee’s Ranch Indian Raid
Hostile Indians raided a small settlement in this vicinity Oct. 27, 1866, centering their attack on the house where Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Lee, their two daughters, and eight year old son, a young Miss Hall and Joseph Lillywhite were barricaded, fighting . . . — Map (db m75616) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Philo T. Farnsworth
Philo Taylor Farnsworth was born August 19, 1906 in a log cabin near Beaver, Utah. At an early age, he became familiar with the various components of the telephone and the gramaphone. By age 12, he had a thorough understanding of electronics. In . . . — Map (db m1421) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 147 — Pioneer First Camp Ground
Near this site, Feb. 6, 1856, in zero weather, Beaver pioneers made their first camp. Prior to this, the land had been rejected as unfit for cultivation, but the amount of water available gave courage. At a mass meeting in Parowan some of the more . . . — Map (db m75615) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Pioneer Park
Dedicated to the memory of the valiant pioneers who erected the first woolen mills in Southern Utah in 1870. It was a busy mecca, with wagons coming and going from all over the State with their goods to trade. — Map (db m75576) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 31 — The Beaver Woolen Mills(Incorporated 1869)
On this site in 1870, in a three story building, 60 x 120 feet, the first Woolen Mills in Southern Utah operated. Machinery was brought here from New England by railroad and wagon. John Ashworth and others schooled in England in the art of wool . . . — Map (db m75577) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — N-211 — Thomas Frazer HouseUtah Historic Site
This house was constructed in three sections by Thomas Frazer, the local stonemason, as his own home. The middle section (1870) and the east section (1872) are built of black basalt. The west section (c. 1890) is constructed of pink tuf. Thomas . . . — Map (db m75570) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Cove Fort — 6 — Cove Fort
Completed April 12, 1867, by direction of Brigham Young, with L.D.S. Church funds, as a travelers way station and refuge from Indians. Ira N. Hinckley built and maintained it as a hostelry and residence until 1877. A well within the fort provided . . . — Map (db m75519) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Cove Fort — Fort WilldenA Farm and Way Station
The first settlers in this area were the family of Charles W. and Eleanor Willden. They were English converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who had come to Utah in 1849. Because Charles was an iron worker, Brigham Young called . . . — Map (db m75518) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Frisco — 268 — Frisco
A typical mining town at the foot of the San Francisco Mountain was fed by the fabulously rich Horn Silver Mine. By 1885 over $60,000,000 in zinc, copper, lead, silver, and gold were hauled away by mule train and the Utah Central Railroad. Water was . . . — Map (db m78264) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Beaver Dam — 334 — Hansen Cooperative Dairy
The Box Elder Cooperative Association was established in 1867 -68 by Lorenzo Snow, under direction of Brigham Young. In 1871 a dairy, said to be the first in Utah, was built south of Beaver Dam, near a cold water spring, Christian Hansen, operator. . . . — Map (db m44467) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Brigham City — 11 — Brigham City Co-op StoreBuilt 1890 — Brigham City Historic Tour
The mercantile store was the last building constructed for the Brigham City Co-op. Three years after the store opened, a fire broke out. Financial losses from the fire shut down the business a year before the cooperative organization closed. . . . — Map (db m105251) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Brigham City — Brigham City Fire Station/City Hall
Constructed in 1909 at a cost of about $7000, this building original housed the city fire department on the main floor and city offices on the second floor. It also had a jail in the southeast corner and "hobo apartments" in the basement. This was . . . — Map (db m105252) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Brigham City — Chinese ArchA Monument in Limestone
Ancient Lake Bonneville once covered this area, including the flanks of Promontory Range. The waves washing against the ancient shore eroded fault-fractured rocks, creating the arch in the 300-million-year-old Oquirrh Formation. More than . . . — Map (db m69125) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Collingston — Hampton's Bear River Crossing
Ford was used by Indians, Fur Tappers and Mountain Men. About 1853 Ben Hampton and Wm. Godbe operated a ferry for emigrant traffic. The site became a "home station" successively for stages of Oliver & Conniver, Ben Holladay, and Wells-Fargo. About . . . — Map (db m105494) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Collingston — HSLC UT-8 — Hensley/Salt Lake Cutoff - Hampton Ford
"...we came to Bear River Crossing, ... There has been a ferry established here all summer until the later week, when the waters have become so much fallen that it renders it useless The river is now about 150 ft. wide, an average depth of 2 1/2 . . . — Map (db m105495) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — 10 Miles of Track
10 miles of track, laid in one day. April 28th 1869 — Map (db m100050) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — BBU-7 — Bidwell/Bartleson Trail - Monument PointFirst Overland Emigrant Party
"We now skirted the north end of the lake, sometimes traveling in a valley and again along the shore of the lake where the mountains jutted down nearly to its shores." -- Nicholas "Cheyenne" Dawson, narrative, August 26, 1841 — Map (db m105300) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Big Fill Trail
Look down this path toward the sharp V-shaped notch in the shoulder of the mountainside ahead. Walking the Big Fill Trail, you can still see some of the violent fury of the final days of the race to Promontory, carved into unyielding limestone. . . . — Map (db m80953) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Centre Siding1879-1899
Mile 762.7 from San Francisco Information about this siding is limited to ambiguous notations amending Central Pacific RR survey plats and profiles. Onsite investigations have revealed no evidence of occupation. — Map (db m105299) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Competition 1869
Lacking precise instructions from Congress as to where to meet, and spurred by financial rewards for building grade, both railroad companies prepared railbed past each other for 250 miles. No parallel track was ever laid. Promontory Summit was . . . — Map (db m80934) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Corinne - Pioneer Railroad Town
Looking toward the immediate completion of the first Transcontinental Railroad, Corinne Townsite was laid out in the Spring of 1869. Railroad Financiers, Real Estate Promoters, Businessmen & Gambling Sharks, launched a boom to make Corinne the . . . — Map (db m72943) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Corinne Methodist Episcopal Church
1870 This is the oldest extant Protestant Church building in Utah. It was dedicated by Chaplin C.C. McCabe and Reverend G.M.Peirce on September 20, 1870 — Map (db m105257) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — 229 — Corinne Opera House
On this site the Corinne Opera House, for many years the largest recreation center in Utah outside of Salt Lake City, was erected in 1879. Built of red pine lumber with square nails, the leading stock companies, California bound on the new railroad, . . . — Map (db m105258) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Jubilation Coast to Coast
For four years Americans closely followed the progress of the Pacific railroad in their newspapers, anxious to see it completed. By May 1869, intense attention was focused on this desolate corner of northern Utah. The entire country was eager for . . . — Map (db m80933) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Last Spike DrivenNoon…Monday…May 10th, 1869
A rough crowd had gathered at the far set of tracks 15 yards ahead. Six million spikes and six years’ work lay behind them. Now, only one section of rails was left undone. The honor of ceremonially “finishing” the Pacific railroad with a . . . — Map (db m80931) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — May 10, 1869
With an officer of the Twenty-first U.S. Infantry posed on the completed tracks and men of his regiment behind him, dignitaries of the Union Pacific Railroad stand for a photograph. Dr. Thomas C. Durant, Union Pacific Vice-President, is seen , at . . . — Map (db m80940) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — May 9, 1869
In this photo, taken one day before the transcontinental line was completed, a 30-foot gap in the railroad remained. A tent town quickly grew around the Last Spike Site, and two of the first businesses, the Restaurant and the Red Cloud Saloon can be . . . — Map (db m80939) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Monument
Mile 748.6 from San Francisco Monument was little more than a siding and wye for the railroad, with little evidence remaining today of the railroad era. Its name came from Monument Point, a prominent landform visible from here. Photos from . . . — Map (db m105301) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Presbyterian Centennial1869 - 1969
The Presbyterian work in Utah began at Corinne June 11, 1969 under Rev. Melancthon Hughes, sent here by Rev. Sheldon Jackson, missionary and educator. This bell was later given to the first congregation. In the first century, the Presbyterians . . . — Map (db m105261) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Rozel1869-1942
Mile 765.0 from San Francisco This site was christened Victory on April 28, 1869 when Central Pacific Workers rested for lunch after laying six miles of track during the famous laying of ten miles of track in a day. The site was later named . . . — Map (db m105297) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — September 1869
The transcontinental railroad was a commercial link which opened new markets and figuratively untied the nation with bands of rail. Seen here are Union Pacific Railroad fruit cars en route to California to be loaded with perishables for Eastern . . . — Map (db m80938) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — September 1869
Four months after completion, Promontory was a notorious boomtown composed of hotels, saloons, and gambling tents with a few stores and shops. Transcontinental passengers changed trains here until mid-1870. Many were victimized by resident gamblers . . . — Map (db m80942) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — September 8, 1942
After the opening of the Lucin Cutoff in 1904, the historic rail line north of the Great Salt Lake was of minimal importance. In 1942 the last spike was ceremonially “undriven” here before a crowd of Union Pacific, Southern Pacific, and . . . — Map (db m80941) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Stairway to Promontory
The cut below you on the Union Pacific grade is a good example of the stair step construction method used by the railroads. The workers were set to grading, scraping and blasting on several different levels of a cut at once. This method increased . . . — Map (db m100047) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — The “Orange Special” Wreck
You are now standing on the historic railbed and to your right at the gate that separates the old railbed from the highway, the Southern Pacific covered an old trestle with fill on the steepest grade on the Promontory Mountains. For years helper . . . — Map (db m80956) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — The Big Fill
Competing for fame and money, the two railroads constructed over 250 miles of parallel grade. Here the Central Pacific built the Big Fill before Congress gave final construction rights to the Union Pacific. Afterward, the U.P. sold the tracks . . . — Map (db m80957) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — The Big Trestle
Lacking time to fill the ravine before you, Union Pacific crews built the bridge shown in the photo. One reporter said that nothing he could write “would convey an idea of the flimsy character of that structure.” You can still see the . . . — Map (db m80958) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — 136 — The First Weather Station in Utah
In 1870 the first U.S. Government weather station in Utah was erected on this site by the War Department Signal Service, U.S. Army Division of Telegrams and Reports, for the benefit of commerce. The observer was William W. McElroy. The station was . . . — Map (db m105253) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — The Last Cut
By April of 1869, the Union Pacific was working its Mormon and Irish labor forces day and night in order to meet the scheduled deadline for the completion of the railroad. Below you is the last cut made along the transcontinental route. Cuts such as . . . — Map (db m80952) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — The Locomotives of Golden Spike - Jupiter
”More representative American locomotives of the period would be difficult to find. Both the Jupiter and 119 were of the eight wheel or 4-4-0 wheel arrangement. This style of engine was so common in the United States that it was called the . . . — Map (db m80965) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — The Locomotives of Golden Spike - No. 119
“The original Jupiter and No.119 were scrapped at the turn of the century. Despite their absence, the replica locomotive tell the story of the building and significance of the nation’s first transcontinental railroad. Today’s . . . — Map (db m80966) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Transcontinental RailroadNational Back Country Byway — Rails of History
Welcome to the Transcontinental Railroad National Back Country Byway. The railroad grade you will be driving represents an epic achievement in American history, linking East to West in a new nation. Today, the landscape looks much the same as it did . . . — Map (db m100000) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — Water BellCorinne Historical Society
This bell was brought to Corinne by Hyrum House to warn the community at times when the water was to be shut off. In 1896 it was used to ring in Statehood for the State of Utah. It was rung so hard that day, that it cracked, then was placed on a . . . — Map (db m105255) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Bovine
Mile 691.6 from San Francisco Track-laying crews reached Bovine March 28, 1869 and established a section station. A freight platform was constructed in Bovine in 1885. The site was named after Bovine Mountain located directly north of the . . . — Map (db m105480) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Historic Lucin
Mile 680.5 from San Francisco Historic Lucin was established as a section station on July 6th, 1875. A nearby rail station originally held the name "Lucin," but the name and the services were relocated here to Historic Lucin. It also served . . . — Map (db m105482) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Kelton
Mile 734.1 from San Francisco Kelton served as a section station for the Central Pacific Railroad from 1869-1942. The location was originally called Indian Creek but was soon renamed Kelton in honor of a local stockman. The town was built . . . — Map (db m105340) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Matlin
Mile 712.8 from San Francisco Track laying crews reached the site of Matlin on April 5, 1869. Matlin was used by the railroad from 1869-1904 as a section station. Chinese railroad workers built a small community next to the facilities. . . . — Map (db m105426) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Medea Siding1899-1906
Mile 686.4 from San Francisco The presence of the RR made vast areas of the rangeland available to ranchers by providing the vital link to civilization. The RR furnished an avenue for supplies and an outlet to numerous markets. This siding . . . — Map (db m105481) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Old Terrace
Mile 703.5 from San Francisco Old Terrace is a mile east of the population center of Terrace. There was probably never a settlement here, but heavy traffic in and out of Terrance may have required a backup siding. Not many references of Old . . . — Map (db m105430) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Ombey
Mile 722.6 from San Francisco The railroad siding at Ombey was completed in 1879. Within two years , a section house, tool house, and Chinese bunk and cookhouses had been constructed. The nearby facilities of Gravel Pit were abandoned in favor . . . — Map (db m105344) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Peplin
Mile 727.3 from San Francisco Peplin was a small temporary occupation. Central Pacific track layers reached this point on April 9, 1869, but the earliest documented use as a siding was 1888. The remains of Peplin siding can be seen in the . . . — Map (db m105341) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Red Dome Siding1895-1907
Mile 708.5 from San Francisco This siding was built May 30, 1895 to accommodate increased traffic and possibly area ranchers. It appears than no support facilities were constructed at the site. Railroad records indicate that siding . . . — Map (db m105429) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Romola
Mile 717.6 from San Francisco The railroad siding at Romola was built in 1899 to meet increased rail traffic and the needs of local ranchers. The railroad was used by ranchers and cowboys as a way to move the cattle they raised to market . . . . — Map (db m105347) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Terrace
Terrace was the largest of the Central Pacific towns built in Utah. It was established in April 1869 as the maintenance and repair headquarters for the entire Salt Lake division. The railroad facilities here included and 8-track switchyard, a . . . — Map (db m105434) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Terrace Cemetery1869- ca. 1910
As the town grew, so did the cemetery. Accidents, illness, and old age contributed to residents of Terrace being buried here. The cemetery has been slowly deteriorating, but was in fairly good condition until 1986 when vandals stole some of the . . . — Map (db m105433) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Walden Siding1898-1906
Mile 697.5 from San Francisco This siding, built nearly 30 years after the laying of the track is evidence of ever increasing traffic and constant upgrading and improvement through the years as many as 10 trains a day used the Promontory . . . — Map (db m105479) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Watercress
Mile 699.8 from San Francisco Following the abandonment of Terrace, Watercress served as a principle freight and siding for area ranchers early in the twentieth century. Railroad documents record the existence of corrals, a barn, a stock . . . — Map (db m105437) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Promontory — 10 Miles of Track
10 Miles of Track, Laid In One Day. April 28th 1869 — Map (db m4289) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Promontory — Golden SpikeNational Historic Site
" The last rails laid, the spike is driven, The Pacific Railroad is completed." Here at Promontory, Utah, at 12:47 P.M. on May 10, 1869. The driving of a Golden Spike completed the first transcontinental railroad. Climax of a dramatic . . . — Map (db m13488) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Promontory — The Southern Pacific MonumentGolden Spike National Historic Site
An Icon Restored In 1965, the National Park Service assumed ownership of the aging monument, which had been damaged by years of weathering and vandalism. The interior had also been severely damaged by ground water that had wicked up into . . . — Map (db m67076) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Promontory — The Track that United the States
A sharp eye can still pick out the marks of early railroad building along this rugged escarpment, even if the original iron rails and timber ties themselves are gone. These fading remnants tell the story of a daunting engineering . . . — Map (db m69108) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Snowville — Elinor
Mile 739.1 from San Francisco Elinor was largely uninhabited. It was a long siding, measuring 2,300 feet in length, and was constructed in the early twentieth century to accommodate increased rail traffic. It was possibly also used as a freight . . . — Map (db m105339) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Snowville — Nella Siding(???)2-19(?)6, 1916-????
Mile 743.6 from San Francisco Nella was an uninhabited siding built(?) in 1902 to serve local ranchers. The siding was removed in 1906, and relaid in 1916. In 191(?) a train car body and freight platform where present. — Map (db m105308) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Snowville — Seco
Mile 743 from San Francisco The section station at Seco was established in 1873 to accommodate facilities moved from Ten-Mile, another section station three-and-a-half miles east. The work crews and inhabitants of Seco were mainly Chinese. . . . — Map (db m105337) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Snowville — Ten-Mile
Mile 746.6 from San Francisco Ten-Mile was part of the long, circuitous route around the northern edge of the Great Salt Lake. Dry, inhospitable geography and steep railroad grades requiring helper locomotives in several locations led the . . . — Map (db m105304) HM
Utah (Cache County), Hyde Park — In Memory Of The Hyde Park Settlers
Erected in honor of those pioneers who helped settle Hyde Park. This Settlement was founded in 1860 by the following list.

William Hyde, William Higgensen, Robert Daines, Lydia Wilkinson, Anthony Metcalf, James Hancey, Armenius Neeley, Thomas . . . — Map (db m44498) HM

Utah (Cache County), Logan — 102 North MainLogan Historic Site
This structure is built with beautiful, gray brick that has been well preserved. The two-story flat roofed building has a classical emphasis. The original front entrance of double doors was crowned with a stone engraving depicting a pioneer scene . . . — Map (db m44420) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 141 North MainS.E. Needham Jewelers — Utah Historic Site
This building, constructed in 1904, was first occupied by John H. Anderson who operated a general merchandise store. The store continued to function until the mid - 1960’s and sold shoes, dry goods, groceries, and clothing. The original owner, Louie . . . — Map (db m44448) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 160 North MainFederal Building — Logan Historic Site
This large brick structure, built in 1911, is classical in style and virtually unaltered since construction. The top of the building is crowned by a heavy, classic cornice. The front entrance is sided by pilasters and topped with a modified Roman . . . — Map (db m44429) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 19 North MainBluebird Restaurant — Logan Historic Site
Built c. 1890, this two-story, dark brick structure is crowned with a cream colored Federal-Greek cornice. Below the cornice are three French doors with transoms and small, Latin balconies. Large transom windows at the mezzanine have segmented . . . — Map (db m44424) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 220 West CenterLogan Center Street Historic District
Constructed in 1921, this two-story home is an excellent example of the Prairie School style popular between 1901 and 1925. The early of Frank Lloyd Wright gave rise to the Prairie School style by creating forms that were precise and angular with an . . . — Map (db m44421) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 5 South MainThatcher Brothers Bank & Opera House — Logan Historic Site
Wells Fargo Bank now occupies the site of the Thatcher Brothers Bank & Opera House, which was constructed in 1890. The Thatcher Brothers Bank was the first one to open in the valley. The Opera House was located on the second floor and could seat 800 . . . — Map (db m44426) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 75 South Main — Utah Historic Site
This property was owned in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s by Luna Young Thatcher, a daughter of Brigham Young by his first wife. Luna Young Thatcher owned the entire corner and, by all reports, had the area beautifully landscaped. In 1912 the . . . — Map (db m44447) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 99 North Main — Logan Historic Site
This building was one of the earliest general merchandise stores built in Logan, and it continued as such until 1872. The owner sold the building and his merchandise and joined the historically significant ‘cooperative’ movement sponsored by the . . . — Map (db m44481) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 1 — Bullen Center37 South Main — Utah Historic Site
This large, two-story, brick building is one of Logan’s early examples of commercial architecture, with some Victorian embellishments added. The building was constructed in 1902 by George W. Thatcher. KVNU, the first radio station in Logan, got it’s . . . — Map (db m45819) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — Cache County Court House
Restored in honor of pioneer Logan residents David Eccles 1849-1912 Ellen Stoddard Eccles 1867-1957 David Eccles, a Scottish immigrant to Utah became one of the state’s most prominent business leaders. His extensive enterprises laid the . . . — Map (db m44432) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 9 — Cache County Relic Hall
Erected in 1861 by Hezekiah Thatcher, assisted by Robert Crookston, Robert Murdock and John Hill, who quarried the building stones in Green Canyon and place them in these walls, hand made shingles covered the roof, the building was originally used . . . — Map (db m44436) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 2 — Cache Valley
Known to the Indians as Willow Valley was renamed by fur trappers and traders in the winter of 1825-1826. James Bridger led the first trappers to a winter encampment near here in 1824 towards December 1825. William L. Sublette, in charge of Gen . . . — Map (db m44438) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — S-9 — Caine Lyric Theater — Utah Historic Site
First used as theatre in 1913. Original Owner: George W. Thatcher and B.G. Thatcher Renovation made possible by Utah State University, Thatcher families and community of Logan. — Map (db m44441) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — S-20 — David Eccles Home — Utah Historic Site
Built 1907 of brick and white stone trim for David and Ellen Stoddard Eccles. Architects: Monson & Schaub of Logan. Renovation 1972 by S. Eugene Needham and Christie Smith Needham. — Map (db m44442) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — First Dawn To Dusk Flight Across America
Colonel Russell L Maughan of Logan, Utah, made the first daylight flight across the continent on June 23, 1924. Flying solo in a Curtis PW-8 pursuit aircraft, Maughan, then a Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Service, left Mitchell Field, New York, at dawn . . . — Map (db m44451) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — First Hospital203 West Center — Utah Historic Site
This house was built in 1890 for John R. and Bartha Blanchard. In 1903, this building was converted into the first hospital in the Cache Valley with a capacity of seven beds in four rooms. In 1916, it was sold to the Presbyterian Church and used . . . — Map (db m44446) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — Julia Budge Nibley House — Logan Historic Site
Built in 1914 - 15 by Charles W. Nibley for his third wife, Julia Budge, this two story house is an excellent example of the Prairie School style popular in Utah during 1905-25. The house was reportedly designed by Pope and Burton, architects. C.W. . . . — Map (db m44427) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — Merlin J. Olsen
Honoring Tradition Securing Our Future MERLIN J OLSEN Aggie All-American September 15,1940 - March 11, 2010 Utah State University’s football field at Romney Stadium as named the Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium on December 5, 2009 by . . . — Map (db m44455) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — N - 41 — Old Main BuildingUtah Historic Site
. . . — Map (db m44418) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 174 — Pioneer Mills of Cache Valley
In 1860 two grist mills were built and operated in this valley. One at Wellsville by Daniel P. Hill and the other at Millville by Esias Edwards and Leroy Kent. The first burrstones obtained from Black Rock, Utah proved to be too soft for grinding so . . . — Map (db m44471) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — s-40 — St. Johns Episcopal Church — Utah Historic Site
Seat of the first Non-Mormon congregation in Cache Valley, 1873. Gothic church and vicarage consecrated 1909. Logan’s first public Library and the Common Room Club housed in the vicarage. — Map (db m44443) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — Thatcher-Young Mansion
The Thatcher - Young Mansion was built in 1878 for the banker and industrialist George W. Thatcher and his wife Eunice Caroline (Luna) Young Thatcher. Her brother Brigham Young Jr. lived in it from 1883 - 1885 while he supervised the Brigham Young . . . — Map (db m44440) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 9 — The First Settlers of Logan
The first settlers of Logan encamped near this spot on the bank of the Little Logan early in May 1859 Heads of Families: John R Blanchard, Abraham Caldwell, Griffith Charles, Israel J. Clark, Ann Davis, William Dees, James Demino, Sidney Dibble, . . . — Map (db m44437) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — Whittier SchoolUtah Historic Site
The Whittier School, constructed in 1908, is important for its association with the education reform following Utah’s statehood. These reforms included a statewide curriculum and the construction of numerous unified schoolhouses. The Whittier School . . . — Map (db m44422) HM
Utah (Cache County), Mendon — Restoration of the James G. Willie Home
Originally built around 1865, the 1½ story rock home of James G. Willie is typical of the over 40 stone homes that were built in Mendon prior to 1880. Brigham Young encouraged early settlers to use native rocks for home construction as he felt . . . — Map (db m44482) HM
Utah (Cache County), Millville — Millville
In the spring of 1860, Apostle Ezra T. Benson and Peter Maughan advised the people living at the Elkhorn Ranch to locate near a sawmill built by Esais Edwards and Roy Kent. This was done to provide better protection. In that same year, Apostle . . . — Map (db m44456) HM
Utah (Cache County), North Logan — Cache - 2 — Nicholas W. Crookston Home — Utah Historic Home
Built 1890 - 1900 of logs hauled from Logan Canyon by Nicholas W. Crookston, Sheriff, Bishop, and construction foreman. Registered by Lucille C. Peterson 11-1-72 — Map (db m44462) HM
Utah (Cache County), Providence — 110 — Providence Pioneers
This marker honors the first settlers of Providence, who camped near here early in May 1859, and those who followed in the years 1860,1861,1862. Included in the groups who pioneered this section are the following families: Alder, Bowen, . . . — Map (db m44477) HM
Utah (Cache County), Providence — The Old Rock Church
Symbol of Heritage Listed on the National Register of Historical Places in recognition of its architectural and historical significance, and to encourage its preservation.

The 1869 completion of the transcontinental railroad ended an era, . . . — Map (db m46302) HM

Utah (Cache County), Providence — 143 — The Providence Players
Pioneer dramatic players entertained early Cache Valley audiences in this rock building. When erected, 1868 - 70, the only assembly hall in Providence. It has the finest dance floor, stage, proscenium, paintings, curtain in the valley. Among the . . . — Map (db m44435) HM
Utah (Cache County), Richmond — 15 — Richmond Fort
In July 1859 under the leadership of John Bair, (interpreter and guide) sixteen families settled here, built log cabins and dugouts between City Creek and Brower Springs. The following Spring other families arrived and a permanent fort was built for . . . — Map (db m105497) HM
Utah (Cache County), Richmond — S. Milton and Alba C. Webb House — Utah Historic Site
The house was designed by Gottlieb Stucki of Logan City in 1936 and is one on only two international Style houses built in Richmond. The Webb family was active in the Richmond community during the mid-century. Mr Webb was postmaster for 37 years . . . — Map (db m44459) HM
Utah (Cache County), Smithfield — In Memory of Ira Elias Merrill
First person buried in the Smithfield Cemetery, was born at Alder, Erie County, New York, in 1835, the son of Austin and Laura Wilder Harris Merrill, He was killed in an Indian attack July 29, 1880 as he and his brother Solyman were returning from . . . — Map (db m44449) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Carbon Hotel
The Carbon Hotel was built in the early 1900's. It was first owned by C.A. Bartolino. The building was used as a hotel, bar, cafe and sporting house throughout the years. Due to the large number of single male immigrants into the local mines, the . . . — Map (db m100991) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Matt WarnerApril 12, 1864-December 21, 1935 — The Bandit Who Became Judge
Matt Warner was born Willard E. Christiansen in Ephraim, Utah. He left home at the age of 14 after a fight in which he though he killed the town bully. He took the name Matt Warner, became a cattle rustler, bank robber and rode with Butch Cassidy . . . — Map (db m101029) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Rainbow Inn
The Rainbow Inn is located at 305 N Mains St, Helper, Utah and was built in 1922. Originally owned by Lena Fodero, the building was used as a hotel, bar, and sporting house. It was known for the bordello on the upper floor. The railroad which . . . — Map (db m106558) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — Abraham Powell 1877 Cabin
Vincent Paul Anella Troop 296 Eagle Scout Project Reestablished marker recognizing the first cabin built in Price by Abraham Powell in 1877. Original marker was at 600 South Carbon Avenue. December 22, 2011 Price Centennial . . . — Map (db m72728) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — Harding School
Harding School was named after President Warren G. Harding. Classes started August 1925 with George Fox as the first principal. It was used as an elementary school until May 1968 when Principal James L. Jensen called classes to order for the . . . — Map (db m101032) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — 1900 — The Nine Mile Road
The road through Nine Mile Canyon was constructed in 1886 by the Buffalo Soldiers of the U.S. 9th Cavalry to connect Fort Duchesne to the railroad in Carbon County. Most of the stagecoaches, mail and freight passed through Nine Mile into the . . . — Map (db m72729) HM
Utah (Duchesne County), Duchesne — 207 — Duchesne
Explorers, trappers and traders were here before Brigham Young sent a group, in 1861, to prepare the way for Mormon colonization. But in October 1861 the U.S. Government set apart Uintah Valley for Indian Reservation. In 1905 a portion was opened . . . — Map (db m44051) HM
Utah (Duchesne County), Duchesne — 16 — Father Escalante
In commemoration of the Catholic Priest, Father Escalante, who in 1776 came into Utah. He crossed the Green River at Jensen and camped two days at that place. His diary shows that he camped at the junction of the Strawberry and Duchesne rivers . . . — Map (db m72764) HM
Utah (Duchesne County), Duchesne — Saint Rose Philippine DuchesneAug. 29, 1769 – Nov. 18, 1852
According to one tradition, the Duchesne River was named after Mother Rose Philippine Duchesne. Mother Duchesne and the Catholic Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, had started schools in Missouri. The children of many of the early pioneer . . . — Map (db m72766) HM
Utah (Duchesne County), Myton — 388 — Myton
In 1866-7, U. S. Army made road to Price and Bridge across Duchesne River. At this point Henderson’s Indian Trading Post, Caldwell’s Stage Station and a blacksmith shop were erected. 1905, Army surveyed townsite named for H. P. Myton, Supt. . . . — Map (db m72760) HM
Utah (Emery County), Emery — Outlaw Country
This is outlaw country! Hidden deep in these canyons, Butch Cassidy, Elza Lay, Flat Nose George, Kid Curry, Joe Walker, and others eluded the lawmen who pursued them in the late 1800s. In the 1850s Chief Wakara escaped into these badlands with as . . . — Map (db m80465) HM
Utah (Emery County), Green River — Major Powell, Colorado River Explorer
The first organized attempt to conquer the swirling rapids and precipitous walled canyons of the Green and Colorado Rivers was made by Major John Wesley Powell, Civil War hero and explorer. Warned by Indians and mountaineers they would never . . . — Map (db m102089) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Desert Lake-Victor
Desert Lake, about 8 miles east of here, was first settled in 1885 by settlers building an irrigation ditch from Huntington Creek to the townsite and a reservoir to store the water for farming. In 1896 the dam broke, nearly drowning the small town. . . . — Map (db m101221) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Hiawatha
Hiawatha, about 13 miles NW of this location, was named from Longfellow's poem "Hiawatha." It was incorporated in Sept of 1911. In June of 1912, along with Blackhawk & Mohrland, it was purchased by the U.S. Fuel Company. Coal produced by Hiawatha . . . — Map (db m101011) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Mohrland
Coal was first mined on Cedar Creek, about 9.4 miles N.W. of this location in 1906. Four men named Mays, Orem, Heiner and Rice bought the mines in 1908 and Castle Valley Fuel Co. was formed. In 1909 Castle Valley Fuel Co. became U.S. Fuel Co. and . . . — Map (db m101010) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Robber's Roost
Robber's Roost was a popular outlaw hideout located along the Outlaw Trail in Southeastern Utah. Sandwiched between the Colorado, Green and Dirty Devil Rivers, the roost is a savage stretch of land crisscrossed with steep-walled canyons, hidden . . . — Map (db m101214) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce — Bryce Airport
Bryce Airport's Vital Role In this remote region, with major hospitals and airfields hundreds of miles away, Bryce Airport provides critical emergency support. Built in 1936 as an emergency landing strip for commercial airlines, the airport . . . — Map (db m74765) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Bryce Amphitheater
"Before there were any Indians, the Legend People, To-when-an-ung-wa, lived in that place. There were many of them. They were of many kinds - birds, animals, lizards and such things - but they looked like people....For some reason, the . . . — Map (db m40537) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Bryce Canyon Lodge
Union Pacific Railroad served Bryce Canyon well as it grew to national park status. The railroad's vision of the site's potential for tourism culminated in the creation of the "Grand Circle Tour", a tour that traveled to several parks in one trip. . . . — Map (db m40550) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Post-War Service Station
In 1924, when the park was first established, visitors for that year totaled 17,213. A remote locale, poor access, limited on-site accommodations, and few car owners allowed only the elite and the adventurous to come to Bryce Canyon. Twenty years . . . — Map (db m40533) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m40524) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Streetscape
In the early 1920s, the Union Pacific Railroad, the National Park Service and the National Forest Service worked together to develop Bryce Canyon as a national park. This collection of cabins and the Bryce Canyon Lodge are a product of that . . . — Map (db m40558) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Wheeling through the Years
Before Bryce Canyon was a national park, the Union Pacific Railroad conceived the "Grand Circle" of parks; an area that encompassed Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. In order for the "Circle" to . . . — Map (db m40534) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 94 — Escalante
In 1866, a group of Mormon Cavalrymen noted this valley, while in pursuit of Indians during the Black Hawk War. In February, 1875, a company of men came from Beaver, Utah and explored the valley. The first permanent settlers came from Beaver, . . . — Map (db m74744) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 266 — First Public Building
In 1876-77 Escalante Pioneers erected a log building, 36 x 18 feet, located 20 feet west of this marker. The logs 18 inches in diameter came from Cyclone Lake Mountain by ox team. They were hewn by hand, fastened with oak pins, morticed ends and . . . — Map (db m74745) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 141 — L.D.S. Tithing Office
This structure, the second public building in Escalante, was erected in 1884 of native stone by Mormon pioneers under the direction of Bishop Andrew P. Schow, Edwin Twitchell and Thomas Heaps. The stone mason was Morgan Richards. It was used to . . . — Map (db m74746) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 501 — Old Boulder Mail Trail
The isolated trails between Boulder and Escalante, Utah, were important in the history of the two towns. The foot trail, used by Indians for centuries, connected the two areas and was known as the Death Hollow Trail. Mules, horses, or people . . . — Map (db m74759) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — Old White Church
Escalante's first church stood on or near this spot. It was a two-story building made of white sandstone. The upper floor was used as the LDS Chapel and for recreational purposes; the lower floor provided classrooms for church organizations and at . . . — Map (db m74748) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Hatch — Asay Settlement
About 1872 Joseph Asay with his family settled about 3/4 mile west and a little south of this spot. Soon other homesteaders settled in the locality. Tom Jessup and Dan LeRoy erected a water power saw mill. A shingle mill was also placed on the . . . — Map (db m74676) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Hatch — Hatch Ward Building and Bell
In 1904 the Hatch L.D.S. Ward building was erected on this lot. A vestibule was added in 1910 and the bell was purchased with donations from ward members. For many years it hung in the tower and rang out for all civic, social and church activities. . . . — Map (db m74679) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Hatch — 292 — Settlement of Hatch
In 1872 Meltiar Hatch settled at the head of the Sevier River, near the junction of Mammoth and Asay Creeks. He engaged in stock raising and operated a water-power saw mill. Soon other settlers came. Land was surveyed and irrigation ditches dug. . . . — Map (db m74677) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Henrieville — Second Powell ExpeditionCharting New Territory — Last Blank Spot on the Map
In 1871, this region was part of the last uncharted territory in the continental United States. That year, Major John Wesley Powell launched the Second Powell Expedition to explore and map this frontier, continuing the work he had begun three years . . . — Map (db m74763) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — Butch CassidyLegend of the Wild West
Outlaw or Hero? "My father, he carried the mail, and he always stopped and had dinner at a certain place [in Red Canyon]. While he was having dinner, old Butch Cassidy came to his camp. He told about these fellows following him. He got up . . . — Map (db m40513) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 62 — Panguitch Fort
In March, 1864, about fifty pioneers under the leadership of Jens Nielson settled Panguitch. They built a fort of logs, enclosing their homes and a building used for church, school and recreation. The town was abandoned in 1867, because of Indian . . . — Map (db m27020) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 166 — Panguitch Stake Tabernacle
Panguitch stake of the L.D.S. Church was organized in 1877 with James Henrie as president. In March 1880, plans were made for a stake house with George Dodds, architect, and M.M. Steel, Sr., chairman of the building. The following men were prominent . . . — Map (db m27040) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 442 — Panguitch Tithing Lot
During the first settlement of Panguitch, between 1864 and 1867, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints paid tithes with produce and cattle, which were kept on this lot and disbursed as needed. Barns and corrals were constructed . . . — Map (db m74680) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — Podunk Guard Station
Podunk received its name from a Paiute Indian named Po Dunk, who had become lost in the heavily timbered area near the East Fork of the Sevier River. The area was named after him, and the guard station named after the area in which it was built and . . . — Map (db m40482) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — Red Canyon TunnelsGateway to Natural Wonders
A New Park's Magical Opening "One little fairy hopped upon the running board and asked Governor Dern if he believed in fairies. 'Yes,' he said. 'Then,' said she, 'enter into Fairyland." - From Golden Nuggets of Pioneer Days, Daughters . . . — Map (db m40509) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 460 — Social Hall
The Panguitch Social Hall was built during the years between 1890-1900. Fredrick Judd made the bricks and slacked the lime for the laying of the brick. The walls were three bricks thick, and the building had wide double-doors on either side of the . . . — Map (db m74682) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 510 — The Panguitch Quilt Walk
The first group of pioneers came to Panguitch on March 16, 1864, from Parowan under the leadership of Jens Nielson. They followed the route over the rugged Bear Valley, a part of the Spanish Trail. Crops were planted, but the season was short and . . . — Map (db m27046) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — The Panguitch Quilt Walk History
In 1864 a group of hardy pioneers braved the mountain snows to save their families from starvation. This group of men encountered snows that were impassable. According to their faith they knelt on a quilt in a prayer circle. The answer to their . . . — Map (db m74681) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Tropic — 477 — Loseeville
Clifton (Loseeville) was situated in East Valley one mile east of the Pahreah River and four miles North of Cannonville. The first settlers were Ebenezer Bryce in 1876 and Daniel Goulding in 1878. They built a ditch to bring water to the valley from . . . — Map (db m74743) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Tropic — Tropic Pioneers
In Honor of Tropic Pioneers and diverting water over rim of Great Basin May 23, 1892 — Map (db m74741) HM
Utah (Grand County), Crescent City — Copper Ridge Dinosaur Trackway
Welcome to Copper Ridge. Here, you can see the tracks of two different dinosaurs. The larger were probably made by an Allosaurus, while the smaller three toed tracks were made by one of a number of smaller bipedal carnivorous spedies. — Map (db m39259) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Balanced Rock
The forces of erosion are sculpting more than just arches. Balanced Rock clearly shows the various layers responsible for this amazing defiance of gravity. The caprock of the hard Slick Rock Member of the Entrada Sandstone is perched upon a . . . — Map (db m52002) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Dalton Wells
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp DG-32 (Co. 234) 1935-1942 During the Great Depression of the 1930s, CCC Camps were scattered all over the USA. They provided gainful employment to youth of the nation with work on public service . . . — Map (db m47587) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — 181 — Early L.D.S. Church
One room of this building, formerly the L.D.S. Church, was erected in 1888. Two years later a second room was added. The bishop was Randolph Stewart; building committee: O.W. Warner, who donated the land, Henry Holyoak, and O.D. Allen; supervisors . . . — Map (db m95092) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — 65 — Elk Mountain Mission
In April 1855, forty one men under the leadership of Alfred N. Billings were called to establish a mission in the Elk Mountains. They left Salt Lake City May 7, 1855, arrived at Grand River June 11, and selected the site for a settlement. By July . . . — Map (db m95090) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Grand Old Ranch House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Plaque above: Built 1896 — Map (db m95084) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — 373 — Moab L.D.S. ChurchUtah Historic Site
Constructed of adobe in 1889, the Moab L.D.S. Church was built nine years after the establishment of Moab in 1880. Angus Stocks supervised the laying of the foundation and adobes. Within a few years of original construction an addition was made to . . . — Map (db m95093) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Moab Utah UMTRA ProjectBackground and Current Status
Moab Mill The Moab mill was constructed in 1956 by Uranium Reduction Company, which operated the mill until 1962 when the assets were sold to the Atlas Minerals Corporation (Atlas). Uranium concentrate, the milling product, was sold to the . . . — Map (db m95083) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Protecting Wilderness
Wilderness is a word of many meanings. From a place to be feared to a place to be revered, wilderness evokes images of wild animals, jagged mountains, vast prairies or deserts. For some, wilderness offers physical challenges, solitude or a respite . . . — Map (db m95082) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Scott M. Matheson1929-1990
(There are two markers mounted on the kiosk) Dedication In June 1991, the Nature Conservancy dedicated this preserve in honor of one of Utah's leading environmental advocates: Scott M. Matheson. As Utah's governor, Matheson . . . — Map (db m95089) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Star HallUtah Historic Site
Constructed from 1905 to 1906 by local craftsmen, Star Hall is architecturally significant as a fine local example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture and is historically significant for the role it has played in the community over the years as . . . — Map (db m95120) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — The Legend of Dead Horse PointDead Horse Point State Park
You are standing at “the neck,” about to cross out onto the high promontory called “Dead Horse Point.” Before you do though, take a few moments to ponder the horses. What happened here? How did such a beautiful place get such . . . — Map (db m92541) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — The NeckCanyonlands National Park-Island in the Sky District
In front of you the park road crosses a strip of land only 40 feet wide called the Neck. Beyond this point lies an isolated, 43-square mile mesa known as the Island in the Sky. On all sides the Island is bounded by yawning canyons, and cliffs that . . . — Map (db m92540) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — The Old Log Cabin
Log cabins used to be common in Moab. I am the oldest one left. I was built, most likely, by the first bishop of Moab, Randolph Stewart, for his third plural wife, Marietta, about 1881. The Stanley's, a family of four lived here in 1908 after they . . . — Map (db m95091) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Tracks in the Canyon
Human activities have changed the face of Canyonlands. Livestock grazing in the late 19th century altered plant communities. The roads and seismic lines you see below were constructed in the 1950s in a search for uranium and oil. Mining and grazing . . . — Map (db m95081) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Wolfe Ranch
John Wesley Wolfe settled here in the late 1800s with his oldest son Fred. A nagging leg injury from the Civil War prompted John to move west from Ohio, looking for a drier climate. He chose this tract of more than 100 acres along Salt Wash for . . . — Map (db m72715) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Cedar City Historic Pioneer Cemetery Wall
The reconstruction of the historic pioneer cemetery wall was completed in August 1994 as a memorial to the stalwart Mormon pioneers who settled this part of the American West and who originally built and dedicated the wall in the year 1886. It was . . . — Map (db m75618) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Cedar City Railroad DepotUtah Historic Site
Built in 1923, the Cedar City Railroad Depot is historically significant for its direct association with the railroad and its impact on Cedar City. In addition to stimulating the local iron ore and livestock industries, the railroad connection to . . . — Map (db m59566) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 452 — Cedar City Tabernacle
A tabernacle was erected in 1885 on the adjoining corner of Main and Center Streets and was demolished in the spring of 1932. In 1872 Bishop Christopher J. Arthur suggested that this Tabernacle be built to replace the Social Hall. Mayhew Dalley . . . — Map (db m59540) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 402 — Chaffin Grist Mill
In 1866 Louis R. Chaffin, at the request of Apostle Erastus Snow, placed a gristmill in Cedar City. His son, Henry, ran it until 1868 when Louis returned from "The Muddy." Adjoining land was purchased in 1875. Excavation by Alva Matheson proved the . . . — Map (db m59538) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Cinder Cone - Lava Flows
Cinder Cone The cinder cone developed from a series of continuous mild volcanic explosions piling the debris on the surface surronding a volcanic vent. There are numerous cinder cones on the Cedar City Ranger District, many visible from . . . — Map (db m68762)
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Deseret Iron Works
This monument marks the spot where on Sept. 30, 1852 the first iron was manufactured west of the Mississippi River by the Mormon Iron Missionaries sent by Brigham Young. This 5½ ton ore body was obtained from the iron deposits used by . . . — Map (db m1288) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Ellen (Nellie) Purcell Unthank
Ellen (Nellie) Purcell was born November 6, 1846 in Tintwhistle, England. At 9 she, with her parents and sister Margaret (Maggie), 14, began the trek from Iowa to Salt Lake Valley in 1856 with the Edward Martin Handcart Company. Early snows . . . — Map (db m59517) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Escalante Trail
Father Silvestre Velez de Escalante with Father Dominguez and eight others, first white men to enter the Great Basin, left Santa Fe July 29, 1776 in attempt to reach Monterey. Abandoning attempt, party passed through Cedar Valley October 12 on . . . — Map (db m1440) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 418 — First Cedar Encampment
Iron ore having been discovered at Iron Springs, Brigham Young called missionaries to Iron County to make iron. A militia of 35 men was organized in Parowan, Nov. 5, 1851, under Captain Henry Lunt. Part of the company left Nov. 10th in 11 wagons and . . . — Map (db m59546) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 222 — Fort Cedar
In November 1851, thirty-five men from Parowan settled Cedar City. A unique temporary encampment, composed of their wagon boxes and sage brush walls, sheltered them through the first winter. In 1853, a fort 100 rods square was built on this site. . . . — Map (db m59515) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 309 — Hamilton Fort
In 1852 Peter Shirts located a ranch on Sidon Creek, later known as Shirts Creek. He offered John Hamilton half the water to come and settle there. Hamilton came with his family and Peter Fife. When Walker Indian War broke out they moved to Cedar . . . — Map (db m59513) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Heroine of ChinaHelen Foster Snow — 1907 – 1997
Born and raised in Cedar City, Helen Foster Snow was a journalist, traveler, thinker, and activist who was present during the revolutionary period leading up to the establishment of the People's Republic of China and became a heroine to the people . . . — Map (db m59565) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Hornet Hill MonumentCaptain Maurice Francis Graham — Pilot, Patriot, Pioneer
The disappearance of a Western Air Services Boeing 95 mail plane during an intense snow storm thrust Cedar City, Utah, into the sharp focus of world attention. It was not because such accidents were uncommon, for air crashes were quite common in . . . — Map (db m74002) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Old Brickyards
It is believed that the first fired bricks in Utah were made in Cedar City in connection with the attempt of the Deseret Iron Company to manufacture iron in 1852. The blast furnace was located in the vicinity of 400 North 100 East. Fired brick was . . . — Map (db m1381) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — S-89 — Pioneer Iron Works Blast FurnaceUtah Historic Site
To satisfy an urgent need for manufactured iron products, a small group of English, Welch, Scotch, Irish and American pioneers answered a call from Brigham Young to become "Iron Missionaries" to settle Iron County and to make iron. They arrived in . . . — Map (db m59545) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Pioneer StockmanFrancis Webster — 1830-1906
Born in England, Francis Webster traveled to Utah in 1856 and played an important role in the early development of Cedar City. A leader in the sheep industry, he was among the first to begin shipping sheep and wool to the Chicago markets. An early . . . — Map (db m75620) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — The Casting of the Lots
On July 29, 1776, Fathers Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Silvestre Velez de Escalante led an exploration party of ten horsemen from Santa Fe, New Mexico, to establish an overland route to Monterey, California, while spreading the Catholic faith to . . . — Map (db m59514) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — The Founding of Southern Utah University
There are five plaques across the base of the statue In the annals of American higher education, there is no more dramatic founding of a school than that accorded Southern Utah University, nor a more striking example of the extent of the . . . — Map (db m59516) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 446 — The Social Hall
The Cedar City Pioneers had made their homes in the Old Fort and had built an adobe schoolhouse 28 feet by 60 feet when, in May 1855, President Brigham Young advised them to move to higher ground. By 1859, the majority of the people had moved to the . . . — Map (db m59542) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Ward HallErected 1897
Site of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints recreation building known as the Ward Hall. Rushed to completion in the fall of 1897 and deeded to the State of Utah so the Branch Normal School of the University of Utah could be legally . . . — Map (db m59543) HM
Utah (Iron County), Enoch — 480 — Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office
Schoolhouse - The second schoolhouse in Enoch was a two-story structure built on this site in 1917-1918. It was a brick building containing two classrooms, two libraries, two bathrooms and a furnace room. Only one room served as a classroom, and . . . — Map (db m59568) HM
Utah (Iron County), Enoch — 461 — Johnson's Fort
During the summer of 1851, a small company of men was exploring this area and discovered the springs on the bench one-fourth mile to the east. Joel H. Johnson was so impressed with the spot, that he sought and received permission from George A. . . . — Map (db m59571) HM
Utah (Iron County), Enoch — Jones Iron Works Park
In 1869, John P. Jones and sons moved from the fort at Johnson Springs and purchased land and springs on the east bench of the community. Jones, who was an iron worker, built a coke oven and blast furnace where scrap iron was melted and molded to . . . — Map (db m59960) HM
Utah (Iron County), Kanarraville — Fort Kanarra
Old Kanarra, as it was called by early inhabitants, was founded in the spring of 1861 by settlers who moved from Fort Harmony. The town was situated on Kanarra Creek about one mile north and east of the present location. Later, a group from . . . — Map (db m59472) HM
Utah (Iron County), Kanarraville — South Rim of the Great Basin
The low ridge at the south end of this valley forms the south rim of the Great Basin, which in prehistoric times was the bed of a vast body of water now referred to as Lake Bonneville. It was so named in honor of Captain Benjamin L. E. Bonneville, . . . — Map (db m1382) HM
Utah (Iron County), Paragonah — Henry W. LuntRoadside Park
This Park is dedicated to the memory of Henry W. Lunt, Jan. 25 1863-Dec. 26, 1926, in recognition of his contribution to the scenic, economic and spiritual development of Southern Utah. Mr. Lunt served as Vice Chairman of the State Road Commission . . . — Map (db m75617) HM
Utah (Iron County), Paragonah — 61 — Paragonah Fort
Paragonah was founded in 1852. Indian trouble caused abandonment a year later until 1855 when the pioneer fort was built. The site was selected and dedicated by President Brigham Young. The fort was 105 feet square with walls 3 feet thick at the . . . — Map (db m59617) HM
Utah (Iron County), Paragonah — Paragonah Town Square
This area, a part of the Great Basin, has evolved from the time of Lake Bonneville. It has known Anasazi Indian civilizations as evidenced by nearby ruins. It has seen the Dominguez-Escalante expedition of 1776 which passed west of this valley. It . . . — Map (db m59620) HM
Utah (Iron County), Paragonah — 475 — The Tithing Lot and Relief Society Hall
Tithing Lot - Pioneer William Robb Jr. built a rock house, consisting of two rooms with a cellar, diagonally across the street from this location. It was later sold to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and became a Tithing Office . . . — Map (db m59622) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Birthplace of Southern Utah
Welcome to the Birthplace of Southern Utah January 13, 1851 — Map (db m59581) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 168 — D.U.P. Relic Hall
This building, erected in 1866, served the community of Parowan for 52 years as a religious and cultural center. Later it was given by the L.D.S. Church to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, who in 1939-40 restored the old edifice and in 1949-50 . . . — Map (db m59614) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 135 — First School House and Council House in Iron County
"I commenced a grammar school in my wickiup by the light of the fire and only one grammar book." Diary of George A. Smith, February 25, 1851. The first school house, 18 x 24 feet, was built west of the Council House and dedicated December 25, . . . — Map (db m59611) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Jesse N. Smith Home
Dedicated to the memory of Mary Aikens Smith and her sons Jesse Nathaniel and Silas Sanford and to the memory of All the pioneer settlers who founded Parowan in 1851 Constructed 1856-58 by Jesse N. Smith Restored 1967 by . . . — Map (db m59602) HM

796 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 596
Paid Advertisement