Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Wisconsin

2556 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2356
 
East Arkdale Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Keith L, April 19, 2008
East Arkdale Cemetery Marker
Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — East Arkdale Cemetery
On State Highway 21 east of 16th Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
On July 11, 1859, Mr. Halvor Olson offered this 1/2 acre of his land to be used as a cemetery for the members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (Hauge Synod) here in the Roche a Cree (Arkdale) settlement. People of the community outside the . . . — Map (db m7368) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — Lutheran Church of the Norwegian Synod
On 18th Avenue 0.3 miles north of Cumberland Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
On this site once stood a Lutheran Church of the Norwegian Synod, from the years 1887 to 1921. This church developed because of a disagreement on some doctrinal points with the United Lutheran Church which stood one half mile south of here. . . . — Map (db m4657) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — 390 — Site of the First Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Roche-a-Cri
On Cypress Avenue west of 18th Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
In 1850, a group of Norwegian settlers from Koshkonong, the foremost Norwegian settlement colony in the United States at the time, left their southern Wisconsin home and migrated north, settling here in "Roch-a-Cree" or Roche-a-Cri. Imbued with . . . — Map (db m36123) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — West Church
On 18th Avenue at Cumberland Avenue, on the left when traveling south on 18th Avenue.
In 1853, Norwegian immigrants to this area, organized the Norwegian Evangelical Church of Roche-a-Cri, in 1860. A log church was constructed one mile south of this location. It was destroyed by fire in 1866. A frame church was then erected on this . . . — Map (db m4658) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Friendship — 260 — Roche-A-Cri State Park
Near State Highway 13 0.3 miles north of Czech Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
This prominent butte, perhaps the steepest hill in Wisconsin, was called La Roche-a-Cri by 17th and 18th century French voyageurs. Rising 300 feet above the surrounding plain, this landmark undoubtedly guided Indians and early pioneers. Indians of . . . — Map (db m19822) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Friendship — Veterans Memorial / Cpl. Red Cloud Tribute
On Main Street (State Highway 13) at West Third Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Korea Lest We Forget In Honor of all Veterans, POWs – MIAs 24th Infantry "Victory Division" Designed by Cpl. Donald E. Hahn 34th and 19th Reg. Tribute to Cpl. Mitchell Red Cloud . . . — Map (db m37091) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Monroe Center — Monroe Cemetery
On Bighorn Drive 0.6 miles west of County Highway Z, on the left when traveling west.
Ira and Ransom Gleason, father and uncle to Charlotte and Francis Marion Rous set aside the original acre of land for this cemetery, from the land they obtained through the Public Lands Act of 1820. This plaque in memory of Edna Rous Russell and . . . — Map (db m7534) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Rome — Spring Branch Cemetery Veterans Memorial
Near County Road D near 10th Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Duty, Honor, Country We dedicate this monument to all our service men and women in all wars and conflicts. United States Army United States Marines United States Navy United States Air Force United States Coast Guard . . . — Map (db m41686) WM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — Doctor Edwin Ellis1824 - 1903 — Father of Ashland
On Stuntz Avenue at 3rd Street East, on the right when traveling south on Stuntz Avenue.
A man of indomitable faith, he brought culture to a wilderness. Learning and religion were of first concern. Freely giving to both, he labored unceasingly for a city whose good lay very close to his heart. — Map (db m94062) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 304 — Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy
On Lake Shore Drive East (U.S. 2) 0.1 miles west of 20th Avenue East, on the right when traveling west.
William Daniel Leahy was born in Iowa in 1875 and his family soon moved to Wisconsin. He graduated from Ashland High School in 1892 and for the rest of his life considered Ashland his home town. Leahy graduated from the Naval Academy and served . . . — Map (db m48412) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 224 — Northland College
On Ellis Avenue (State Highway 13) north of 16th Street east, on the right when traveling north.
North Wisconsin Academy, founded in 1892 by the Congregational Churches, provided the first high school education available to young people of the small, isolated lumber camp, sawmill and farm communities in the area known as the Great Lakes Pinery, . . . — Map (db m48411) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 6 — Radisson-Groseilliers Fort
On Lake Shore Drive West (U.S. 2) at Turner Road, on the right when traveling west on Lake Shore Drive West.
A crude structure of boughs of trees “layed acrosse, one upon an other” was erected near here by Pierre Radisson and Medart Groseilliers in 1659. The two French traders came to Chequamegon Bay from Montreal and Radisson's account of . . . — Map (db m48410) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — Schooner LucerneHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Near Lake Shore Drive East (U.S. 2) 0.1 miles east of 15th Avenue East.
Type; Wooden Schooner, three-masted Built: 1873, Parsons & Humble, Tonawanda, N.Y. Sank: November 17, 1886 Length: 195’ Beam: 34’ Cargo: Grain, coal, and iron ore Depth: 20’ Lives Lost: 9 Listed on the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m46920) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Glidden — Glidden State Bank
On East First Street (County Highway N) east of North Grant Street, on the left when traveling east.
Glidden State Bank Circa 1905 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Nominated by Jerry Hellenbrand - 2006 — Map (db m47483) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Glidden — 54 — Great Divide
On State Highway 13 2 miles north of State Highway 77, on the left when traveling north.
You are now on the great divide which seperates the two principal drainage areas of Wisconsin. Water falling to the north of this point finds its way into Lake Superior, then down through the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River 2,000 miles into . . . — Map (db m47222) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Glidden — World's Largest White Pine LogBiggest & Last Sleigh Hauled Log
On East First Street (County Highway N) at North Grant Street on East First Street.
This white pine log was sleigh hauled to Glidden on Dec. 21, 1984 on the sleigh it sets on. It was cut on State 40 14 miles east of Glidden. Its estimated weight is 7000 lbs. The 20 ft log scaled 1960 [?] board ft. Estimated age 500 to 600 . . . — Map (db m47534) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), La Pointe — Early VesselsWisconsin's Maritime Trails
On Fort Road 0.5 miles south of Ferry Dock, on the right when traveling south.
Native American canoes launched North America’s maritime legacy about 12,000 years ago, making them among the world’s oldest watercraft. The origins of the birchbark canoe are told in the oral traditions of the Ojibwe people. The spirit . . . — Map (db m57836) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), La Pointe — 108 — Madeline IslandKnown to the Ojibway Indians as Moningwunakauning, "The Home of The Golden Breasted Woodpecker"
On Bayfield - La Pointe Avenue at Colonel Woods Avenue (County Route H), on the left when traveling north on Bayfield - La Pointe Avenue.
The largest of the Apostle Islands was one of the earliest areas of Indian settlement, fur trade, missionary activity and commercial fishing in the interior of North America. It was discovered by French explorers in 1659. Trading posts were built . . . — Map (db m57662) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Odanah — 70 — The Bad River
On U.S. 2 at Old Odanah Road, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 2.
The Mauvaise (Bad) River was so named by the French due to the difficulties of its navigation. The Indians called it Mushkeezeebi or Marsh River. In 1845 the Rev. L.H. Wheeler, Protestant missionary at La Pointe, planned an agricultural settlement . . . — Map (db m63661) HM
Wisconsin (Barron County), Chetek — 218 — Pine Was King
Near U.S. 53 at milepost 125, 6.4 miles north of County Highway M, on the right when traveling north.
Vast forests of virgin white pine were the treasure which brought the first wave of white settlers to Northern Wisconsin. The farms came later, but for half a century the forests were local history. In 1847, the Knapp, Stout & Co. purchased . . . — Map (db m45069) HM
Wisconsin (Barron County), Dobie — 469 — Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church
On 23rd Street 0.1 miles north of 24th Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The congregation for this church traces its roots back to 1870 when people first held services in their homes in what was originally called Stanfold. This community later became Dobie. Their first Catholic church was built in 1876 but was destroyed . . . — Map (db m45151) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — A Turning Point in Place and Time
On South 1st Street at Wilson Street, on the left when traveling south on South 1st Street.
You are standing at the “turning Point” for the Bayfield Waterfront Walk and across the water is a place of significance where “turning points” in history occurred. Madeline Island, or “Mooningwanekaaning Minis,” . . . — Map (db m98243) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — Bayfield Historic WaterfrontEastern Waterfront / Ferry Dock — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
On Washington Avenue at North Front Street, on the left when traveling east on Washington Avenue.
Bayfield’s history has been powerfully shaped by its location. Situated on the shores of a deep, natural harbor, the city is sheltered from Lake Superior’s notorious storms by the outlying Apostle Islands. Lighthouses, shipwrecks, and a historic . . . — Map (db m57835) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — Memorial to Commercial Fishermen of BayfieldPast—Present—Future
On Front Street north of Rittenhouse Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Dedicated in 1981 to the hard working commercial fishermen whose indomitable spirits will not be forgotten. Commissioned by Edwin Erickson, Mayor of Bayfield, 1970-1976 & 1980-1988 Designed by Harold Kerr (1909-1981) Constructed by . . . — Map (db m57811) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — Schooner PretoriaHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
On South 1st Street at Wilson Street, on the right when traveling south on South 1st Street.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places In the waters off Outer Island lies the wreck of the Pretoria, one of the largest wooden vessels ever to sail the Great lakes. On September 1, 1905, Captain Charles Smart and nine crew . . . — Map (db m98244) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — The Booth Cooperage
On Washington Avenue at Front Street, on the left when traveling east on Washington Avenue.
At one time, a local fishery once encompassed this entire block. Early sailing vessels would bring their harvests here to be salt packed in barrels and shipped to market. Here in “The Cooperage,” one of the remaining buildings of that . . . — Map (db m57810) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Cornucopia — 28 — Tragedy of The Siskiwit
On State Highway 13 west of Siskiwit Falls Road, on the left when traveling east.
Once upon a time, according to an old Indian legend, the sand beach on the east side of this bay was a favorite camping ground. One spring a few lodges of Chippewa from La Pointe encamped here. When their chief, Bi-aus-wah, returned from the hunt, . . . — Map (db m30843) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Herbster — 522 — "The Gym"
On Lenawee Road 0.1 miles south of Wisconsin Highway 13, on the left when traveling south.
When the community sought funding for a new gymnasium and town hall, they looked to the Work Progress Administration, a depression-era program, which utilized local materials and labor to create jobs for unemployed workers. Architect Roland C. Buck . . . — Map (db m36553) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Port Wing — 145 — School Consolidation
On State Highway 13 at Grand Avenue, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 13.
As the 20th century began, logging operations were in full swing in this area and the small log schoolhouses could not handle the increasing number of students. Some classes were held in churches but additional facilities were needed. T.N. . . . — Map (db m30845) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Town of Russell — Hokenson Brothers Fishery
On Little Sand Bay Road 0.5 miles west of Allen Road.
Harvesting the Waters In 1927, the Hokenson brothers (Leo, Roy, and Eskel) began life as fishermen. For more than 30 years, they met the challenges of fishing the largest lake in the world, relying on their skills, strength, and . . . — Map (db m46908) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Town of Russell — Steamer SevonaHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
Near Little Sand Bay Road 0.5 miles west of Allen Road.
Type: Steel, bulk and package freighter Built: 1890, Frank W. Wheeler, Bay City, Mich. Sank: September 2, 1905 Length: 372’ Beam: 41’ Cargo: Iron ore Propulsion: Propeller Depth of Wreckage: 25’ Lives Lost: 7 Listed on the . . . — Map (db m46907) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Bank of Washburn1890
On East Bayfield Street (State Highway 13) at Central Avenue, on the right when traveling south on East Bayfield Street.
The Bank of Washburn is a unique variation of the Romanesque Revival Style designed by architects Conover & Porter of Ashland, Wisconsin. Built in less than one year, the building was fashioned from brownstone quarried at Houghton Point located . . . — Map (db m48439) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — 49 — Madeline Island
On State Highway 13 north of Burlager/Bodin Road, on the right when traveling north.
To the east is Madeline Island, known to the Ojibway as Moning-wunakauning, “The Home of the Golden Breasted Woodpecker.” The French soldier Pierre le Sueur built his post there in 1693. In 1718 a fort was erected which remained France’s . . . — Map (db m30844) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — The Sprague WellHistorical Landmark
Near 8th Avenue West at Lakeview Drive.
The Sprague Well, believed to be the first drilled artesian well in Bayfield County, was completed at 119 feet 8 inches in April, 1903 by Monroe H. Sprague at the mill office of the Akeley–Sprague Lumber Co. Flow from the 4 inch casing was . . . — Map (db m57812) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Washburn Historic WaterfrontBigelow / Hines Railroad Trestle — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
Near 6th Avenue West south of Lakeview Drive, on the left when traveling south.
In the early days of Washburn, the waterfront was filled with saw mills. The A.A. Bigelow Mill (1887-1902), later to become the Hines Mill, was the largest of three major sawmills in Washburn. It rested on pilings that ran directly out from the . . . — Map (db m57839) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Washburn Lumbering Days / The Hines Lumber Company
Near 6th Avenue West south of Lakeview Drive, on the left when traveling south.
(side 1) Washburn Lumbering Days Washburn begins on the shoreline of Chequamegon Bay. The city rises gradually 75 ft. above level of the water. In 1884, the town was created, born of the necessity of the railway (Chicago, St. Paul, . . . — Map (db m57824) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — Washburn, The Monolith City
On East Bayfield Street (State Highway 13) at Central Avenue, on the right when traveling south on East Bayfield Street.
This title was given back in 1892 when Frederick Prentice, president of the Prentice Brownstone Co. of Wisconsin, offered to supply a huge brownstone monolith for the Wisconsin Exhibit at the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. He proposed to furnish this . . . — Map (db m48441) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — First Episcopal Mission in Wisconsin
On W. Mission Road west of South Webster Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Near this site stood the first Episcopal Mission in Wisconsin Founded in 1827 by the Reverend Richard Fish-Cadle Later first director of Nashotah House — Map (db m68040) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — First Redemptorist Church in America
On Riverside drive (State Highway 57) north of Allouez Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
The church of St. John the Evangelist, the first church of the Redemptorists in this hemisphere, stood 215 feet east of this marker. It was begun by Rev. S. Mazzuchelli, O. P. and completed by Redemptorist missionaries sent from Europe by Rev. . . . — Map (db m66522) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — 239 — Heritage Hill State Park
Near South Webster Avenue at Greene Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
This park, built to portray and preserve Wisconsin's beginnings, is located on a site that is itself a part of history. On this 40-acre site stood Camp Smith--a temporary location of Fort Howard--part of the pioneer settlement known as Shantytown, . . . — Map (db m10544) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — The Catholic Bark Chapel
Near Riverside Drive south of Iroquois Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Built by the Indians for Father Claude Allouez in 1671, this is a replica of Wisconsin's first Catholic Church. The original was part of Mission St. Francis Xavior, about one mile south of this site. — Map (db m68048) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — Address by President LincolnAt The dedication Of — The Gettysburg National Cemetery
On College Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m60509) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — Bernard Henry PenningsCanon Regular of Premontre
Near North Broadway Street (State Highway 57), on the left when traveling south.
Here surrounded by his spiritual sons lies all that is mortal of Bernard Henry Pennings Canon Regular of Premontre founder of St. Norbert Abbey Born June 9, 1861 Gemert, Holland Ordained June 19, 1886 Berne Abbey Heeswijk, Holland Blessed . . . — Map (db m97952) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — Brown County Court House 1838 to 1854
On South Wisconsin Street at George Street (County Route G), on the right when traveling north on South Wisconsin Street.
The site of the Brown County Court House from 1838 to 1854.

Erected by Jean Nicolet Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1930 — Map (db m38984) HM

Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 189 — Marquette–Jolliet
On George Street at Broadway (Wisconsin Highway 57), on the right when traveling west on George Street. Reported missing.
Here in June, 1673, an expedition headed by Jesuit priest Jacques Marquette and his companion Louis Jolliet departed from St. Francis Xavier Mission to find and explore the upper Mississippi River. In September they returned here to record their . . . — Map (db m10393) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 266 — Rapides des PeresVoyageur Park
Near William Street west of North Front Street.
The rapids at De Pere were well known to all early travelers along the Fox and Wisconsin rivers, which provided the best access to the Mississippi. Despite Indian domination, the waterway served explorers, fur traders and voyageurs, missionaries, . . . — Map (db m11053) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — St. Norbert College & The PackersPackers Heritage Trail — Lambeau-Lombardi Spur
On 505 3rd Street north of Marsh Street, on the right.
St. Norbert College became the training camp of the Packers in 1958 in an agreement that would become the longest such partnership in NFL history. Father Dennis M. Burke, then president of the college, suggested the arrangement to the team that year . . . — Map (db m56440) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 262 — White Pillars
On North Broadway (State Highway 57) north of Cass Street, on the left when traveling north.
This building was erected in 1836 to serve as the office of the Fox River Hydraulic Company, which was chartered by Wisconsin's first Territorial Legislature to construct a dam at Rapides des Peres. Following the 1837 financial crisis, notes issued . . . — Map (db m10887) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Denmark — 373 — Denmark
On Wisconsin Avenue (County Highway KB / T) north of Kellner Street, on the right when traveling north.
In 1848, immigrants from Langeland, Denmark, seeking economic opportunity and plentiful farmland, settled in this vicinity. The Danes purchased land here and called their early settlement "Copenhagen," later changed to Denmark. In subse­quent years, . . . — Map (db m22453) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 11 — 1634 • 1909
Near Benderville Road 0.2 miles north of Nicolet Drive (County Highway A), on the left when traveling north.
Commemorating the discovery of Wisconsin in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, emissary of Governor Champlain of New France. In this vicinity Nicolet first met the Winnebago Indians. Unveiled August 12, 1909, by members of the State Historical Society of . . . — Map (db m15786) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Alexis De Tocqueville
Near Dousman Street.
Alexis De Tocqueville The 25 year-old French aristocrat and author of Democracy In America visited this area during his 1831 - 1832 tour of America Placed by C-Span and the cable television industry while retracing the tour in 1997 - 1998 — Map (db m39543) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Augustin de Langlade
On South Washington Street north of Crooks Street, on the right when traveling south.
On the river shore Block 3 Astor directly west of this marker stood about the year 1745 the home and trading house of Augustin de Langlade and his distinguished son Charles, the first permanent settlers of Wisconsin. Charles . . . — Map (db m39145) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bank Of Wisconsin
On Chicago Street west of South Adams Street.
. . . — Map (db m39144) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bellevue ParkPackers Heritage Trail — Packing Plant Spur
On Main Street (U.S. 141) south of Brook Street, on the right when traveling north.
Bellevue Park served as the Packers' home field from 1923 to 1924 and was the site of the first Packers-Bears game played in Green Bay. Bellevue Park was built in less than three weeks in the spring of 1923 with wood salvaged from the stands at . . . — Map (db m56414) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bellin BuildingPackers Heritage Trail
On East Walnut Street (State Highway 29) at South Washington Street, on the right when traveling east on East Walnut Street.
Gerald Clifford and Dr. W. W. Kelly, two members of the "Hungry Five," a group of local men critical to the survival of the Packers over their first three decades, had offices here. Kelly was a physician with an office on the fourth floor. Clifford . . . — Map (db m56344) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Birthplace Of The PackersPackers Heritage Trail
On Cherry Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Green Bay Packers were organized on Aug. 11, 1919, in the old Green Bay Press-Gazette building that stood here at 315 Cherry Street. The meeting took place in the editorial department on the second floor. Two days later, the paper briefly . . . — Map (db m56385) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Brown County Civil War Memorial61 Heroes 65
On South Jefferson, on the right when traveling south.
Dedicated To The Memory of the brave men of Brown County who fought to preserve the union. Erected by the Woman's Relief Corps No.91. Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic 1934 — Map (db m43396) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Brown County CourthousePackers Heritage Trail
On South Jefferson Street at Doty Street, on the right when traveling south on South Jefferson Street.
The imposing Brown County Courthouse was where the first stockholders meeting of the newly formed non-profit Green Bay Football Corporation was held on Sept. 17, 1923. It was the first of many important Packer meetings held here over the next four . . . — Map (db m60522) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bryan Bartlett Starr"Bart" No. 15
On Packer Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Quarterback 1956 to 1971 Head Coach 1975 to 1983 6 Conference Championships 5 NFL Championships Pro Bowl Team 1961,62,63,67 All Pro Selection 1961,62,64,66 MVP Super Bowl 1 MVP Super Bowl 2 NFL MVP 1966 Elected to Pro . . . — Map (db m39251) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Chicago & North Western DepotPackers Heritage Trail
Near Dousman Street (U.S. 141) east of North Broadway Street (U.S. 141).
The Chicago & North Western Depot was the Packer's usual port of call for road trips over nearly four decades. And often those trips started or ended, or both, with a party thrown by the team's ever-faithful fans. They threw impromptu . . . — Map (db m56341) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — City StadiumPackers Heritage Trail
On North Baird Street at Cherry Street, on the right when traveling north on North Baird Street.
City Stadium is one of the last remaining relics from the early days of the National Football League. Although its appearance has greatly changed from the time when the Packers played here, it stands as a monument to the team's humble, hardscrabble . . . — Map (db m56388) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 494 — Cnesses Israel Synagogue
On Pine Street at North Jackson Street, on the right when traveling east on Pine Street.
Upon this site stood Cnesses Israel Synagogue, the first Jewish congregation in Brown County dedicated September 4, 1904 (24 Elul 5664). Designed by local architect Henry A. Foeller, the synagogue was Moorish in design and had two octagonal towers . . . — Map (db m51362) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Columbus Community ClubPackers Heritage Trail
On South Jefferson Street south of East Walnut Street (Wisconsin Highway 29), on the right when traveling north.
The Columbus Community Club, which opened in 1925 as a recreational and social center, played many roles in Packer history. In the 1920s, before radio broadcasts of Packer games, large crowds gathered on Sunday afternoons when the team was . . . — Map (db m60523) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Curly Lambeau's Birthplace HomePackers Heritage Trail
On North Irwin Avenue south of University Avenue (Wisconsin Highway 54), on the right when traveling south.
Earl Louis “Curly” Lambeau is Green Bay's most famous native son and the driving force behind the city's most treasured jewel. The storied Green Bay Packers were largely his creation, and they've become his lasting legacy. Born in . . . — Map (db m56336) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Curly Lambeau's Office Northern BuildingPackers Heritage Trail
On North Adams Street at East Walnut Street (Wisconsin Highway 29), on the left when traveling south on North Adams Street.
Curly Lambeau occupied an office in the Northern Building for nearly 20 years while he was coaching the Packers, but visitors might have been taken aback by the sign on his door. It read: Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co. Lambeau was an . . . — Map (db m56362) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Downtown Green BayPackers Heritage Trail
Near North Washington Street south of Mains Street (U.S. 141), on the right when traveling south.
The Packers were founded in downtown Green Bay in 1919 and have had a presence here ever since. In 1921, their inaugural season in what is now the NFL, they held their first practice at the Old Courthouse Grounds at the southwest corner of . . . — Map (db m56346) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Earl L. (Curly) LambeauFounder/V.P./Head Coach/Player 1919–49
Near Lombardi Avenue west of South Oneida Street, on the left when traveling west.
Curly Lambeau founded the Green Bay Packers in 1919 and was a driving force in the team's early years, including the 1921 decision to join what is now the NFL. He served as head coach for the franchise's first 31 seasons, leading the Packers to six . . . — Map (db m77462) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Elks ClubPackers Heritage Trail
On South Adams Street at Crooks Street, on the right when traveling north on South Adams Street.
The Elks Club was the site of an annual sports banquet that honored many of the biggest names in Packer history from the Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi eras. The first was billed as the "Lombardi Testimonial Banquet" and was held in April . . . — Map (db m56377) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Elvis Favorite RideThe Zippin Pippin
Near North Irwin Avenue north of East Shore Drive.
The Zippin Pippin was Elvis Presley's favorite ride. The "King" rented Libertyland August 8, 1977 from 1:15 a.m. to 7 a.m. to entertain a group of about 10 guests. Decked in a blue jumpsuit with black leather belt, huge belt buckle with turquoise . . . — Map (db m66565) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — First Catholic Church In Green Bay
On Washington Street at Adams Street on Washington Street.
Near this site stood the first Catholic church in Green Bay begun in the year of our Lord 1823 by Father Gabriel Richard Vicar Apostolic of the Northwest and finished by Father Stephen Badin first resident pastor and missionary. A short . . . — Map (db m39394) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Fort Howard Stockade
On Dousman Street (Business Route 29) 0.2 miles from North Broadway, on the right when traveling west.
853 feet north 45 degrees, 7 minutes east, from this tablet, stands a flag pole, marking the southeast corner of the stockade of Fort Howard; occupied by United States troops August 1816, and almost continuously until 1852. On this site also stood . . . — Map (db m100952) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Freimann Hotel Building
On South Washington Street near Crooks Street, on the right when traveling south.
In 1896, Michael Freimann built a large three story hotel building on what had previously been a vacant lot. The building first served as the O'Neil Hotel but was soon renamed the New Freimann Hotel in 1898. The building typically housed about ten . . . — Map (db m39058) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 237 — Green Bay Packers
Near Lombardi Avenue (U.S. 41) at Oneida Street (County Highway AAA), on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
The Green Bay Packers, an institution and a legend, are unique. The only publicly-owned club in professional sports, they were founded as a town team in 1919 by E. L. "Curly" Lambeau, who coached them to six world championships. They acquired . . . — Map (db m37200) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Green Bay Press-GazettePackers Heritage Trail
On East Walnut Street (State Highway 29) at North Madison Street, on the right when traveling west on East Walnut Street.
The Packers might have been born in the old Press-Gazette building five years before this one was completed, but the close ties between the team and the newspaper carried on here. Had it not been for the Press-Gazette, and particularly Andrew . . . — Map (db m56358) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Hagemeister ParkPackers Heritage Trail
On North Baird Street at East Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north on North Baird Street.
Hagemeister Park was the home of the Packers from 1919, their inaugural season as a semipro team, through 1922, their second year in the NFL. Before East High School and City Stadium were built, Hagemeister Park included the tract of land from . . . — Map (db m56395) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 156 — Hazelwood
Near South Monroe Avenue (State Highway 57) 0.1 miles north of Emilie Street, on the left when traveling north.
On this site Morgan L. Martin (1805-87) built this home in 1837, after his marriage to Elizabeth Smith of Plattsburgh, N.Y. It was a center of social, literary and political accomplishment for nearly a century. Coming here in 1827 as a young . . . — Map (db m37202) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — HazelwoodHazelwood was the home... — Fox River Trail
Near South Monroe Avenue (State Highway 57) 0.1 miles north of Emilie Street, on the left when traveling north.
of the Morgan L. Martin family for 100 years (1837-1937). Martin was a prominent Green Bay attorney, civic leader, Indian agent and entrepreneur, originally from upstate New York, who helped lay the foundation for Wisconsin's statehood. In 1848, . . . — Map (db m37204) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 540 — Historic Green Bay Road
Near Fox River Trail just from Main Street (U.S. 141).
In 1829, citizens of the Green Bay area petitioned Congress to build a road to Chicago. Following an ancient Indian trail, the military road to connect Fort Howard at Green Bay with Fort Dearborn at Chicago was surveyed by the U.S. War Department . . . — Map (db m68166) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Hotel NorthlandPackers Heritage Trail
On Pine Street at North Adams Street, on the right when traveling west on Pine Street.
The Hotel Northland was the social hub of Green Bay and more specifically the city's nerve center during football weekends and other Packer events from shortly after it opened in 1924 through the 1960s. Vince Lombardi's introductory press . . . — Map (db m60521) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Indian Packing Plant & Acme Packing PlantPackers Heritage Trail — Packing Plant Spur
On Elizabeth Street at Main Street (U.S. 141), on the right when traveling north on Elizabeth Street.
The Indian Packing Corp. was the original sponsor of the Packers. Curly Lambeau was working at the packing plant in 1919 when he took the lead in organizing the team. Frank Peck, the company's president at the time, gave Lambeau $500 in cash to buy . . . — Map (db m60562) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Influence of the Fur TradeGreen Bay was home... — Fox River Trail
Near South Washington Street at Crooks Street.
to many people for thousands of years before the first Europeans arrived. The rich waters of the bay attracted a number of American Indian Tribes - all members of a large and complex trading network stretching throughout North America. Green . . . — Map (db m43813) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 32 — La Baye Burial Place"La Baye Cemetery"
On Washington Street at Adams Street on Washington Street.
La Baye burial place 1720 - 1835 Land donated by Domitille de Langlade Grignon - Langevin — Map (db m39398) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Love at First Leap[The Lambeau Leap]

Since that frigid December day in 1993 when LeRoy Butler made a spontaneous leap into the arms of fans, the Lambeau Leap has become a Packers tradition. It declares that nothing gets in the way between Packers players and their fans. In all of . . . — Map (db m89954) HM

Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Menomineeville, Seat of JusticeIn 1823, James Doty... — Fox River Trail
Near Riverside Drive (State Highway 57) at Lazarre Avenue.
was appointed by President Monroe as a district judge for the northern and western Michigan Territory, which included what is now the state of Wisconsin. Doty set up the region's new court in an empty log building. Three years later, . . . — Map (db m43822) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Milwaukee Road DepotPackers Heritage Trail
On South Washington Street at Crooks Street, on the right when traveling south on South Washington Street.
Back when The Packers traveled exclusively by train, they were welcomed home here at the Milwaukee Road Depot by throngs of joyous fans after clinching three of the six NFL championships they won under Curly Lambeau. The celebrations took place . . . — Map (db m56337) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Milwaukee Road Passenger Depot — Fox River Trail
Near South Washington Street at Crooks Street.
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad… later known as the Milwaukee Road came to Green Bay in 1873. This depot was built in 1898 and was the only passenger depot located on the east side of the river. It served as a . . . — Map (db m43821) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Minahan's TombOverlooking Riverside Drive... — Fox River Trail
Near Riverside Drive (State Highway 57) south of Allouez Terrace. Reported missing.
and the Fox River Trail is the tomb of Dr. William Edward Minahan, who died in the sinking of the Titanic. William had four brothers who were also doctors, and his oldest brother, Robert, was also a lawyer who served as mayor of Green Bay from . . . — Map (db m43818) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Naval Veterans Monument
Near North Irwin Avenue north of East Shore Drive.
Dedicated to the Glory of God and in Memory to All Men and Women Who Served in the Naval Forces of the United States Erected by the Navy Club, Ship 18 1956 Rededicated June 1996 — Map (db m66600) WM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Nicolet Landing1634-1909
On Benderville Road 0.2 miles from Nicolet Drive.
Commemorating the discovery of Wisconsin in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, Emissary of Governor Champlain of New France. In this vicinity Nicolet first met the Winnebago Indians. — Map (db m39541) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Oneida Veterans Memorial
Near Pleasant Lane north of West Mason Street (Wisconsin Highway 54), on the right when traveling north.
Welcome to the Oneida Veterans Memorial Civil War About the War: The civil war was fought in 1861-1865 between the United States (the "Union" or the "North") and several southern slave states that declared their secession and . . . — Map (db m78976) WM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Packers Heritage TrailPackers Heritage Trail
Near Dousman Street (U.S. 141) at Museum Place, on the right when traveling east.
The Packers Heritage Trail was designed as a self-guided walking tour past a treasure trove of landmarks that played a big part in the history of the Green Bay Packers from Curly Lambeau's era through Vince Lombardi's. During those 50 years, . . . — Map (db m56310) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Packers Office BuildingPackers Heritage Trail
On Crooks Street at South Washington Street, on the right when traveling west on Crooks Street.
The Packers moved into the south side of this building, located at 349 S. Washington St., in 1949 and occupied it until a new administration building was completed next to what is now Lambeau Field in 1963. Curly Lambeau was the first coach to . . . — Map (db m60579) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Packers Practice FieldsPackers Heritage Trail — Packing Plant Spur
On North Baird Street south of Main Street (U.S. 141), on the right when traveling north.
During the 32 seasons that the Packers played at City Stadium, they mostly practiced on nearby fields. As early as 1923, when East High was under construction, the Packers practiced in front of the school in Joannes Park. In 1937, they created . . . — Map (db m56411) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Port of Green Bay's Economic ImpactA Critical Link... — Fox River Trail
Near Eliza Street at South Madison Street.
in Wisconsin’s transportation system is the Port of Green Bay. It serves as a multi-modal distribution center connecting waterborne vessels with an extensive network of highways and railroads. The Port of Green Bay provides Northeast Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m43812) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 62 — Red Banks
Near Bay Settlement Road north of Van Laanen Road, on the right when traveling north.
Many of the explorers who followed Columbus were more interested in finding an easy route to Asia than they were in exploring and settling this continent. In 1634 Jean Nicolet, emissary of Gov. Samuel de Champlain of New France, landed at Red Banks . . . — Map (db m22457) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Riverside BallroomPackers Heritage Trail — Packing Plant Spur
Near Main Street (U.S. 141) at Elizabeth Street, on the left when traveling north.
The Packers used the Riverside as indoor practice facility when there were no such luxuries. Before their final game in 1940, Coach Curly Lambeau held practice here over two days due to snow, ice and sub-freezing temperatures. The Packers worked out . . . — Map (db m56408) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Robert E. Harlan Plaza
Near Lombardi Avenue near South Oneida Street, on the left when traveling west.
Robert E. (Bob) Harlan, the ninth president in Packers history, played a central role in orchestrating the $295 million Lambeau Field redevelopment, first unveiled in 2000 and completed at the start of the 2003 season. Harlan's unwavering leadership . . . — Map (db m77463) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — September 11, 2001 MemorialIn Loving Memory Of The Known And Unknown, The Found And The Unfound
On Dousman Street (U.S. 141) at Museum Place, on the right when traveling east on Dousman Street.
The World Trade Center - American Airlines Flight 11 - American Airlines Flight 175 - United Airlines Flight 93 - United Airlines Flight 77 - The Pentagon Wisconsin's Lost Kevin F. Cleary Ramzi A. Doany Andrea L. Haberman John P. . . . — Map (db m43283) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — ShantytownIn 1820, as a defensive move, — Fox River Trail
Near Riverside Drive (State Highway 57) north of Allouez Avenue.
Fort Howard commander Colonel Joseph Smith moved the garrison to near this location, about a half-mile back from the shore. The high ridge on which the camp, dubbed “Camp Smith,” was located provided good visibility and protection . . . — Map (db m43820) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — St. Willebrord Catholic ChurchPackers Heritage Trail
On South Adams Street at Doty Street, on the right when traveling north on South Adams Street.
St. Willebrord Catholic Church was where Vince Lombardi faithfully attended Mass during his 10 years in Green Bay. A devout Catholic, Lombardi would invariably arrive minutes before 8 a.m. on weekdays, park in the back lot and enter the church . . . — Map (db m56359) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Birthplace Home of Earl "Curly" Lambeau
On North Irwin Avenue 0.1 miles south of University Avenue.
Built in 1868, this example of mid-19th century architecture is one of the oldest homes on its original foundation with its original exterior. On April 9, 1898, two residents of this home, Marcel and Mary Lambeau, gave birth to their first . . . — Map (db m39007) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Fort Howard StoryGreen Bay's Fort Howard, — Fox River Trail
Near Main Street (U.S. 141) at North Washington Street.
as well as Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, was built following the War of 1812 to establish a U.S. presence in the Wisconsin territory and strategically cut off British access to trade routes. The forts were also used to construct Wisconsin's . . . — Map (db m43816) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Little House with a Big HistoryThe Roi-Porlier-Tank Cottage... — Fox River Trail
Near Eliza Street at South Madison Street.
has an extraordinary rich history in Green Bay, as it was home to a fur trader, schoolmaster, judge and missionary. In 1803, a French Canadian fur trader by the name of Joseph Roi built the small cottage along the west bank of the Fox . . . — Map (db m43823) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Port & the EnvironmentWaterborne transportation... — Fox River Trail
Near Riverside Drive (State Highway 57) 0.3 miles north of West St Joseph Street.
is the most cost-effective mode of transportation when compared to truck or rail. Ships quietly move cargo farther (per ton mile) and more efficiently than trucks or trains. Most importantly, ships move cargo more safely than trucks and trains. . . . — Map (db m43814) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Port of TodayThe Port of Green Bay... — Fox River Trail
Near North Adams Street at Elm Street.
is a vital part of our local economy, our history and our lives. It plays an important role in the transportation of goods and commodities that are critical to the economic health of the region. The Port of Green Bay receives and/or sends . . . — Map (db m43817) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Significance of the PortWaterways are transportation... — Fox River Trail
Near North Jefferson Street at Utility Street.
and geographic location is everything. The sparkling waters of Green Bay and sweeping rivers feeding into it have attracted numerous industries over the past few hundred years. The French fur-trading empire of the early 1700s gave way to . . . — Map (db m43819) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Spirit of the Northwest
On East Walnut Street at South Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling west on East Walnut Street.
This statue, designed by Suamico native, Sydney Bedore, and dedicated on June 10, 1931 with Governor Phillip Lafollette among the speakers, represents a Fox Indian, Claude Allouez and Nicholas Perrot. Native Americans lived in Wisconsin for about . . . — Map (db m39250) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Vice Admiral James H. Flatley Jr."Reaper Leader"
June 17, 1906 July 9, 1958 Navy Cross May 7 - 8, 1942 Distinguished Service Medal July 1953 - June 1958 Legion of Merit W/Combat "V" Dec. 1944 - May 1945 Distinguished Flying Cross W/Two Gold Stars Nov 1942 - . . . — Map (db m39232) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Vincent T. (Vince) LombardiHead Coach/G.M. 1959-67; General Manager 1968
Near Lombardi Avenue west of South Oneida Street, on the left when traveling west.
Vince Lombardi directed the Green Bay Packers to five NFL championships in seven years (1961-62, 1965-66-67) – a feat without parallel in pro football history. His 1966 and '67 teams also won the first two Super Bowls. Lombardi forged an . . . — Map (db m77461) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Zachary Taylor"Old Rough and Ready"
On 128 Dousman Street (U.S. 141) just from Museum Place, on the right.
Major Zachary Taylor served as commandant of Fort Howard for nearly three years, arriving in the spring of 1817 with 500 men of the fifth United States Infantry. He would become the twelfth president of the United States on the fifth of . . . — Map (db m57539) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Lawrence — 105 — Eleazer Williams
Near Lost Dauphin Road (County Road D).
This site is part of a 4800-acre tract patented to Eleazer Williams by the United States. In 1882 Williams led a delegation of New York Indians to the Fox River Valley, hoping to set up an Indian Empire in the West. A year later he married the . . . — Map (db m57219) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Oneida — 502 — Revolutionary War Veteran
On Freedom Road (County Highway U/E) 0.5 miles south of Airport Drive (State Highway 172), on the right when traveling south.
James Powlis, whose Oneida name Tewakatelyλ·thale! means "I'm Worried", was born around 1750, probably in New York State. In 1777, after the disintegration of the Iroquois Confederacy's neutrality, Congress sought to offset the allegiance of . . . — Map (db m11097) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Alma — 230 — Beef Slough
On The Great River Road (State Highway 35) 0.3 miles north of Iron Creek Road (County Highway I), on the left when traveling north.
The Beef Slough was a sluggish branch of the Chippewa River that provided an excellent storage pond for the logs floated downstream by numerous logging companies. Here loggers were employed to arrange the mixed-up logs into orderly rafts to be towed . . . — Map (db m10103) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Alma — Lock & Dam No. 4
Near North Main Street (State Highway 35) north of East Cedar Street, on the left when traveling north.
Designed by and constructed under the direction of The Corps of Engineers, United States Army 1932 – 1935 Contractor for lock – Ouilmette Construction & Engineering Co. Contractor for dam – United Construction Co. . . . — Map (db m17300) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Alma — Veterans Memorial
On South Second Street north of North Street (County Highway E), on the right when traveling north.
This site and memorial is forever dedicated to the memories, valor, courage and ideals of those Buffalo County residents that have given their all and rest in burial sites at home, abroad and at sea. It is also dedicated to those that have endured . . . — Map (db m73314) WM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Fountain City — Fountain City
On South Main Street (State Highway 35) at Fountain Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street.
Thomas A. Holmes (1804-1888) established the first permanent settlement in Buffalo County in 1839 at the present site of Fountain City. In the fall of that year Holmes and a party of twelve including his wife came up the Mississippi River to barter . . . — Map (db m43205) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Fountain City — Fountain City
On South Shore Drive (State Highway 35) at South Main Street, on the right when traveling north on South Shore Drive.
Before the white man came to this area Indians of the Chippewa, Winnebago and other tribes roamed freely along the Mississippi River. Recorded history tells of an Indian tribal battle that took place on these river banks which was witnessed by some . . . — Map (db m43206) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Mondovi — Civil War Monument
On North Eau Claire Street (County Highway H) at Glen Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Eau Claire Street.
In Memory Of Our Nations Defenders Erected by W.R.C. No. 124 1914 — Map (db m73511) WM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Mondovi — Mirror Lake Veterans Park
On West Mill Street 0.1 miles east of North Eau Claire Street (County Highway H), on the right when traveling east.
Freedom Is Not Free Military Service Emblems Army • Navy • Air Force Marine Corps • Coast Guard • Merchant Marine Galen C. Aase • Loren R. Aase • William J. Aase • Wayne M. Adams • James R. Alf • Mitchell Allen • . . . — Map (db m78828) WM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Nelson — Veterans Memorial
On South Main Street (State Highway 35) 0.4 miles south of 1st Street, on the left when traveling south.
In Memory of Those Who Served Our Country — Map (db m73348) WM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — 1980 Ekdall Church Fire
On County Route F, on the right when traveling east.
The weather on April 21, 1980 was unseasonably hot and dry. On that day a temperature of 91 degrees combined with a humidity of 18 percent to set the stage for a catastrophic fire. At approximately 12:20 pm. that sweltering afternoon, the historic . . . — Map (db m68642) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — Canute AndersonFather of Burnett County — April 14, 1830 - July 31, 1893
On State Highway 48-87 at Assembly Road, on the left when traveling south on State Highway 48-87.
Canute Anderson was born Canute Ingverson Eggum in Laerdal, Norway. He arrived in the Grantsburg area in 1854, establishing a stopping place and trading post where the buildings southeast of this marker stand. Opening the first post office in his . . . — Map (db m68715) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — 241 — Crex Meadows
On North Refuge Road 0.5 miles east of Currey Road, on the right when traveling east.
During the last Wisconsin glaciation the advance of the Grantsburg sublobe blocked drainage, resulting in the formation of Glacial Lake Grantsburg. Natural succession eventually formed the extensive peat marshes known today as Crex Meadows. Prior . . . — Map (db m68641) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — Governor Knowles State Forest
Near State Highway 70 west of Gravel Pit Road, on the left when traveling west.
The St. Croix River winds its way through wild and scenic countryside from its origin in a Spruce-Tamarack swamp near Upper St. Croix Lake. The waters of the Namekagon join the St. Croix 45 miles upstream from this sign. The river system varies from . . . — Map (db m44547) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Siren — Burnett County TornadoMemorial
Near State Highway 35 / 70 north of Park Street, on the right when traveling north.
On Monday, June 18, 2001, at 8:20 p.m. an F3 tornado with gale-force winds of over 200 miles per hour blew through southern Burnett County and eastern Washburn County leaving in its wake a path of destruction through the townships of Bashaw, . . . — Map (db m43504) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), Brothertown — 425 — The Brothertown Indians of Wisconsin
On U.S. 151 at State Highway 55 on U.S. 151.
The Brothertown (Brotherton) are descendants of the Pequot and Mohegan (Algonquin-speaking) tribes in southern New England. They became a tribe in 1769 when seven Christian and English-speaking communities organized and moved to land in upstate New . . . — Map (db m31792) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — Civic Park
On Washington Street at Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Washington Street.
This wooded site of 4.77 acres was purchased from Rudolph Puchner in 1915 for $2,500.00 by an organization of 12 women called the New Holstein Civic Society. Their purpose was to improve and beautify the city. Through diligent work and numerous . . . — Map (db m46940) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — Gewidmet Unseren Kriegern 1861 - 65.[Our Dedicated Soldiers 1861 - 65.]
Near Wisconsin Avenue (State Highway 32 / 57) at Church Street.
B. Kuehl · J. Tams · J. Muenster · H. Banderob · L. Loewenhagen · H. Bock · H. Jensen · A. Ramm · G. Larsen · F. Roehr · D. Dammann · F. Temke · R. Luethge · J. Staube · J. Schilling · G. Bock · P. Heldt · P. . . . — Map (db m47107) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — H. C. Timm House1873
On Wisconsin Avenue (State Highway 32/57) at Railroad Street on Wisconsin Avenue.
Built for Hermann Christian Timm and his wife, Augusta (Muenster) Timm, the house was erected in two sections. A frame, Greek Revival-influenced residence was built for the Timm family in 1873. In 1892, a large stick style house was constructed onto . . . — Map (db m31977) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — 419 — New Holstein
On Washington Street north of Randolph Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
"If I cannot be the citizen of free Germany, then I would at least be a citizen of free America" --Carl Schurz, German Revolutionary Leader, 1848 In 1848, a small group of immigrants from the Schleswig-Holstein area of . . . — Map (db m46184) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — New Holstein Veterans Memorial
On Hickory Lane at Van Buren Street, on the left when traveling west on Hickory Lane.
Here We Honor The Price of Freedom Dedicated to the men and women of the New Holstein area who haved served their country in the armed services. ***2008*** US Flag Pole Donated In Memory Of Elmer E Abrahamson Jr. · . . . — Map (db m46953) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — 525 — St. Martin’s Church
On County Route T at Church Road, on the right when traveling east on County Route T.
In 1853, a group of German Catholics from Silesia, Prussia, emigrated to the Charlestown area. By 1866, the congregation had built a log church where they could assemble for services. They erected the current church in 1875, using limestone from a . . . — Map (db m53326) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), Stockbridge — 416 — Stockbridge Harbor
On West Lake Street (County Highway E) 0.1 miles west of Harbor Ridge.
Around A.D. 1100, there was a large Native American village on the north side of Stockbridge Harbor. The pottery recovered from archaeological excavations at this site indicates that the villagers came from two formerly distinct cultural groups. . . . — Map (db m31799) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Bloomer — 11 — First Congregational United Church of Christ
On 15th Avenue west of Main Street (County Highway F), on the left when traveling west.
The First Congregational Church was organized in the Public Hall at Vanville (later renamed Bloomer) Chippewa County on November 20, 1868. In 1870, lots 4 and 5 of block 4 of the Town of Bloomer were donated by Mr. Samuel Gilbert of Gilberstville, . . . — Map (db m55654) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Boyd — 36 — Edson Union Cemetery
On County Highway D 0.1 miles south of County Highway MM, on the left when traveling south.
Edson Union Cemetery was dedicated in 1887 by Maria and Edson Chubb, as a memorial to their only child Joseph. Buried here are Civil War veterans, victims of the 1880 diphtheria epidemic, and soldiers of the Spanish and American War. Edson . . . — Map (db m42597) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — 33 — Cadott Hub and Spoke Factory
On State Highway 27 north of East Mills Street, on the right when traveling north.
In 1880, Captain Ellery Clark of DePere, Wisconsin moved his hub and spoke factory to Cadott. Clark had been a steam boat operator moving logs on the Fox River. He was drawn to the Cadott area because of the high quality and abundant supply of white . . . — Map (db m48931) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — 121 — Cadotte Trading Post Site
On State Highway 27 0.1 miles north of Mills Street, on the left when traveling north.
In 1787, Michel Cadotte, famous Madeline Island fur trader, had a trading post nearby on the Yellow River. Here Michel Jr. was born, and another son, Jean Baptiste, is said to be buried on the river's bank. Robert Marriner built a dam at "Cadotte . . . — Map (db m31159) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — Citizen Soldier Monument
On State Highway 27 at State Highway 29, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 27.
America Will Never Forget Sept. 11, 2001 · Cadott, WI Citizen Soldier "Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done." George W. Bush Sept. 20, 2001 . . . — Map (db m43068) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — Introduction to the Geology of the Cadott Region
On State Highway 27 0.1 miles north of Mills Street, on the left when traveling north.
The block diagram right depicts in simple format the major geological components of the Cadott region. The time scale [below right] shows that the geologic history at any one place on Earth represents only a miniscule part of the Earth's long and . . . — Map (db m42006) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — 73 — The Gravesite of Lansing A. Wilcox
Near West Chippewa Street (County Highway X) 0.4 miles west of Poplar Street, on the left when traveling west.
Lansing A. Wilcox, last surviving Wisconsin veteran of the Civil War, was born in Kenosha March 3, 1846. In February 1864 he enlisted from Chippewa County in F Company, Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry, returning to the Cadott community in 1866. A farmer, . . . — Map (db m30758) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — The Precambrian Rocks
On North Main Street at West Yellow Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
From here you can see Precambrian rocks exposed along the river below the dam. Although mostly covered by a dark gray coating of carbon, their fresh pinkish gray colors show where they have been scoured off by floodwaters. We are looking at rocks . . . — Map (db m49997) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — The Yellowstone Trail1912–1930
On State Highway 27 0.1 miles north of Mills Street, on the left when traveling north.
The first coast-to-coast auto route across the northern tier of states. "A Good Road from Plymouth Rock to Puget Sound" Before 1912 Railroads dominated long distance transportation. Local roads were dust and mud. There was little . . . — Map (db m40098) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — 32 — Western Bohemian-Fraternal AssociationZapadni Ceska-Bratrska Jednota
On 135th Avenue at Wisconsin Highway 27 on 135th Avenue.
The ZCBJ Lodge Hall which 45 charter members built in 1907 is a tangible symbol of the ethnic heritage – social, fraternal and philosophical ideals of the Czech immigrants settling 7 miles north of Cadott. . . . — Map (db m47505) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cadott — Wisconsin Veterans Tribute
On State Highway 27 at State Highway 29, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 27.
In reverent memory of the men and women who served their country in peace and war. Dedicated May 18, 1991 by grateful citizens of Chippewa County. Chippewa County Veterans Marker Army · Navy · Marines · . . . — Map (db m42843) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 44 — Badger State Planing Mill At Lake HallieBadger State Lumber Company
On 109th Street at 28th Avenue, on the left when traveling south on 109th Street.
This site is near the location of the first sawmill called the "Blue Mills" built just north of Lake Hallie, built over a two year period 1842-1843 by Steven McCann and the brothers Simon and George Randall. In 1867 it was sold to T.S. Schoefield. . . . — Map (db m56289) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 49 — Bear Den Road Bridge
On Irvine Park Drive at Bear Den Drive, on the right when traveling north on Irvine Park Drive.
The Bear Den Road Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge, and it was moved to this site in 1940. The original site and . . . — Map (db m43065) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 15 — Chippewa Springs
On East Park Avenue (County Highway J) 0.1 miles west of Industrial Boulevard, on the right when traveling west.
Millions of years ago the Midwest area of North America was covered by a great inland sea that laid down virgin white Cambrian sandstone. As the sea filled in, most of this sandstone became buried thousands of feet below the surface. The rim . . . — Map (db m42326) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 14 — Cook-Rutledge Mansion
On West Grand Avenue at Albert Street, on the left when traveling west on West Grand Avenue.
In September of 1873 James Monroe Bingham, a local attorney, State Assemblyman, and future lieutenant governor of the State of Wisconsin, purchased this land which had just been plotted as Block 14 of the Western Addition to the City of Chippewa . . . — Map (db m42667) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 26 — Edward Rutledge Charity
On North Bridge Street at West Columbia Street, on the right when traveling south on North Bridge Street.
This building was built in 1917 in memory of Edward Rutledge. Mr. Rutledge was born in northern Ireland on March 6, 1834. As a child he moved with his parents to South Mountain, Ontario, Canada where they farmed. At age 16 Edward and his two . . . — Map (db m39426) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 1 — First Presbyterian Church
On West Central Street east of Island Street, on the right when traveling west.
First Presbyterian Church is the oldest Protestant Church in the City of Chippewa Falls. It was organized in 1855 by Rev. W. W. McNair. The first services were held in a log cabin 12 x 14 feet located on the east bank of Duncan Creek, just . . . — Map (db m42611) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 28 — Hiram Stores AllenSeptember 18, 1806 - March 6, 1886
On Rushman Drive (State Highway 124) east of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling east.
Hiram S. Allen was born in Chelsea, Vermont and came to the Chippewa Valley of Wisconsin in 1834. Here he began a long and flourishing career and an active business life. He built the first grist-mill, the first flour-mill, and the first hotel . . . — Map (db m42343) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — In Memory of All VeteransBoth Living and Dead — These are the Dead
On North Bridge Street south of East Cedar Street, on the left when traveling south.
Sergeant Charles E. Mower, Company A, 34th Infantry, on November 3, 1944, was an assistant squad leader in an attack against strongly defended enemy positions on both sides of a stream running through a wooded gulch near Capoocan, Leyte, Philippine . . . — Map (db m41559) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — In Memory of Old Abe1861 • 1881
On Wolfe Drive at Irvine Park Drive on Wolfe Drive.
The soldier bird who was captured in Chippewa County by Chief Sky and taken to Eau Claire by Daniel McCann of Eagle Point. With Company "C" of the Eighth Wisconsin Regiment, he participated in twenty-five battles of the Civil War and was afterwards . . . — Map (db m38223) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 48 — Irvine Park Drive Bridge
On Irvine Park Drive west of Bear Den Drive, on the right when traveling west.
The Irvine Park Drive Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge in 1907. The structure originally crossed Duncan Creek on . . . — Map (db m38734) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 222 — Nation's First Cooperative Generating Station
On 140th Street/REA Road north of 112th Avenue/Woodruff Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
On Sunday, May 2, 1937, Wisconsin Power Cooperative was organized by an assembly of farmers for the purpose of developing a generating and transmission facility to provide low-cost electric service for the rural areas of Buffalo, Chippewa, Clark, . . . — Map (db m13798) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 330 — Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled
On Forest Avenue north of East Park Avenue (County Highway J), on the left when traveling north.
Before the 19th-century social reform movement, developmentally disabled people were relegated to almshouses and county poor farms where the “indigent, insane, epileptic and “idiotic” were housed together without regard to . . . — Map (db m13297) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 427 — Northern Wisconsin State Fair
Near Edward Street, on the right when traveling east.
Primarily rural in the 19th century, Wisconsin promoted the state fair to advance better state farming practices. Since 1851 to the present, this fair has been held in southern Wisconsin. Recognizing the impracticality of entering or attending the . . . — Map (db m13318) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 2 — Notre Dame Church
On Allen Street at South High Street, on the left when traveling west on Allen Street.
Notre Dame was Chippewa County’s first church, the Mother church of all area Catholic Churches. Originally called St. Mary’s (“Our Lady of the Pines”) was a 16' x 18' foot log structure erected in 1856. A carpenter’s bench served as . . . — Map (db m39975) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — Old McDonell High School
Near East River Street at South Prairie Street.
This building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m41964) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 37 — Oldest Commercial Building in Chippewa Falls
On West Spring Street west of North Bridge Street, on the left when traveling west.
The building to your right is the oldest commercial building in Chippewa Falls. It was built (Circa 1859) by Peter Morie (Morey) and was used originally as a Saloon and Boarding House for lumberjacks and others. In 1861 at the start of the Civil . . . — Map (db m55299) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 24 — Pioneer Norwegian Log Home
Near Ermatinger Drive at Wolfe Drive, on the right when traveling south.
This log house, constructed of hand-hewn White Pine logs, was built by Norwegian immigrant Ole Pederson Bjerke about 1881. Ole and his wife Mari had three sons: Gus, John, and Charles. Around 1880, Ole had applied for a Homestead in the . . . — Map (db m43658) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 29 — Reverend Charles F.X. GoldsmithDecember 22, 1845 - November 24, 1890
On Allen Street west of South Prairie Street, on the left when traveling west.
Charles was born in Rochester, New York. At the early age of thirteen he entered the provincial seminary of St. Francis near Milwaukee. He graduated in 1864 and then entered the American College at Louvain, Belgium. There he earned two divinity . . . — Map (db m39937) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — Ronald P. Anders1943 to 1973
Near Bridgewater Avenue west of Jefferson Avenue (Wisconsin Highway 124), on the left when traveling west.
He gave his life to the Jaycees and to his community, in the belief that service to humanity is the best work of life. We shall not forget... Ronald P. Anders Memorial Pure Water Fountain was constructed by the Chippewa Falls Jaycees and . . . — Map (db m41525) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 43 — Site of the Chippewa Sugar Beet Factory
On West River Street (Business State Highway 29) 0.5 miles west of Wagner Street, on the left when traveling west.
In 1904 on this 25 acre site between the Chippewa River and the Soo Line Railroad tracks, sugar processing became a new industry in the Chippewa Valley. The Chippewa Sugar Company was incorporated and a huge six-story sugar beet factory was . . . — Map (db m42693) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 38 — Site of the Hiram S. Allen Home
On East Columbia Street west of Rushman Drive (Wisconsin Highway 124), on the right when traveling west.
This Columbia Street site was the location of the ornate pioneer mansion built by Hiram Stores Allen. Called the founder of Chippewa Falls, Hiram built the first grist-mill, the first flour-mill, and the first hotel in Chippewa Falls. He operated . . . — Map (db m38891) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 16 — Site of the Mason Shoe Factory
On Rushman Drive (State Highway 124) at East Columbia Street, on the right when traveling north on Rushman Drive.
Chippewa Falls was born with the logging era and with it came support industries such as shoe factories. One of the most important tools for the loggers was strong boots. In 1869, Colliche Vinette was the first shoemaker to come to town. The area . . . — Map (db m38822) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 51 — Sokup's Market
On West Spruce Avenue at North Bridge Street on West Spruce Avenue.
Joseph Sokup opened Sokup’s Market in Downtown Chippewa Falls around 1891 on the northwest corner of Bay and Willow Streets. He built the current grocery store at 624 N. Bridge Street in 1894. The market is one of the oldest family owned businesses . . . — Map (db m55380) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 39 — Sunny Valley School
On Ermatinger Drive at Wolfe Drive, on the right when traveling south on Ermatinger Drive.
Sunny Valley School, originally called Goethel School was built in 1903 approximately eight miles west of Chippewa Falls on State Highway 29 where it crosses County Highway T. The one room schoolhouse served the north half of School District No. 5, . . . — Map (db m43255) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 22 — The Chippewa Valley Electric Railway Co.
On Irvine Park Drive west of Jefferson Avenue (Wisconsin Highway 124), on the left when traveling west.
This waiting shelter at the northern most point of service is the only physical structure remaining of what was once the 12½ mile long Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls interurban electric streetcar line. In 1897, Boston financier Arthur Appleyard . . . — Map (db m39822) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 10 — The Federal Building & Early Mail Service
On North Bridge Street south of East Columbia Street, on the left when traveling south.
This Federal Post Office Building was built in 1910 at a cost of $90,000. The property was purchased from the Thornton estate for $10,000. The Neo-Classical design style was often used by governmental architects of the Treasury Department during the . . . — Map (db m39009) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 21 — The Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Near Jefferson Avenue (State Highway 124) near Bridgewater Avenue.
Chippewa Fall's oldest industry. In 1867, Jacob Leinenkugel, the son of a Bavarian brewmaster, came to Northern Wisconsin searching for a promising location to build a brewery. He settled on this spot purchasing the land from lumberman Hiram S. . . . — Map (db m42360) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 9 — The Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge
On Rushman Drive (State Highway 124) at East Spring Street, on the right when traveling north on Rushman Drive.
The City of Chippewa Falls was organized around two moving bodies of water, the Chippewa River and its tributary Duncan Creek. Bridges soon became necessary with rapid expansion of the transportation system in the late 19th and early . . . — Map (db m38806) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 27 — The Norway House & the Birthplace of Alexander Wiley
On West Grand Avenue west of North Bridge Street, on the left when traveling west.
Built in 1871 by Alexander Wiley Sr. and Nels Elikson, the rooming house over the years was home for hundreds of immigrants, lumber jacks, mill workers, farm hands and log drivers (known as river pigs). In 1887 Wiley Sr. became the sole owner and . . . — Map (db m42697) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 45 — The Yellowstone Trail
On East Park Avenue (County Highway J) east of Chippewa Mall Drive, on the left when traveling east.
Before there were numbered highways in the United States there were names attached to roads to help motorists navigate from town to town or from county to county. In 1912 no one thought in terms of an inter-state highway. However, a small band of . . . — Map (db m42158) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 5 — Trinity United Methodist Church
On Island Street south of West Central Street, on the right when traveling south.
As early as 1846, Methodists were meeting in Chippewa Falls, with Thomas Randall preaching to his neighbors in a boarding house owned by the Chippewa Lumber and Boom Company. On March 10, 1860, Reverend Thomas Harwood, the first assigned . . . — Map (db m42615) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 23 — William IrvineOctober 28, 1851 – December 26, 1927
Near Irvine Park Drive north of Wolfe Drive, on the right when traveling north.
William Irvine was born in Mount Carroll, Illinois of Scotch-Irish ancestry. He came to the Chippewa Valley when he was 14 years old to work for his brother-in-law, who was captain of a raft boat towing lumber from Chippewa Falls to Mississippi . . . — Map (db m38788) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cobban — 278 — The Cobban Bridge
On State Highway 178 0.1 miles south of County Highway TT, on the left when traveling north.
The Cobban Bridge, constructed in 1908 by the Modern Steel Structural Company of Waukesha, is a two-span Pennsylvania overhead truss type bridge and is the oldest of its kind in Wisconsin. Originally it crossed the Chippewa River just upstream from . . . — Map (db m12761) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — 429 — Cornell Pulpwood Stacker
On Bridge Street (State Highway 64) 0.1 miles west of Park Road, on the right when traveling west.
In 1912, after a permanent dam was built across the Chippewa River near this location, the Cornell Wood Products Company, a large paper milling operation, began production here. The company manufactured paper products, cardboard and wallboard. The . . . — Map (db m45015) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — Cornell Women's Club Tablet
On South Riverside Drive (State Highway 64) 0.3 miles south of County Highway CC, on the left when traveling south.
This tablet was erected in 1931 by The Women's Club of Cornell, Wisconsin and serves a twofold purpose. — On the hillside below, unmarked and obliterated, are many Indian graves of days long past. At a later period this plot . . . — Map (db m46047) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — 42 — Ezra Cornell
Near Bridge Street (State Highway 64) 0.2 miles west of Park Road, on the right when traveling west.
Ezra Cornell was the man who founded the City of Cornell, Wisconsin, but actually never lived here. Cornell was born in 1807 in New York State of Quaker parents. He was a farmer, inventor, businessman, statesman, and a philanthropist. He . . . — Map (db m46026) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — 41 — Jean Brunet
Near Bridge Street (State Highway 64) 0.2 miles west of Park Road, on the right when traveling west.
Jean Brunet is one of the most noteworthy pioneers of the Chippewa Valley. Born in France in 1791, Brunet immigrated to this country in 1818 and moved to Chippewa Falls in 1828. He built the first dams on the Chippewa River at Chippewa . . . — Map (db m46018) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — 40 — Pulpwood Stacker
Near Bridge Street (State Highway 64) 0.2 miles west of Park Road, on the right when traveling west.
The Cornell Pulpwood Stacker is believed to be the last of its kind in the world and is listed in the State and National Register of Public Places. Designed and constructed in 1911-12 by the Joors Manufacturing Co., of England for the Cornell . . . — Map (db m46068) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Drywood — 31 — Bohemian National Cemetery
On State Highway 27 0.5 miles north of 135th Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
This cemetery with original records written in Czech dated October 22, 1905, nestles in the heart of the Bohemian farm settlement ¼ mile north of their Fraternal Hall on Highway 27. The 33 families who cleared the land and plotted it into 10' x . . . — Map (db m45268) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Eagleton — 8 — Stanley's Mill
On 135th Avenue / Folker Road east of 128th Street / Baier Road, on the left when traveling east.
This is the former site of a dam, a grindstone and an electrical power plant, locally known as "Stanley's Mill." It was also used as a log sluiceway and popular recreation area. First used on December 26, 1877, the electrical plant furnished power . . . — Map (db m48998) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Holcombe — 4 — Holcombe Logging Disaster
On 275th Street (Main Street) at 262nd Avenue (Spooner Avenue), on the left when traveling south on 275th Street (Main Street).
On July 7, 1905, sixteen loggers of the Chippewa Lumber and Boom Company attempted to break a log jam on the Chippewa River at Holcombe below Little Falls dam, one of the largest wooden dams in the world. The batteau boat they were riding in reached . . . — Map (db m45434) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Holcombe — 3 — The Holcombe Indian
On 275th Street (Main Street) near 262nd Avenue (Spooner Avenue), on the left when traveling south.
The Holcombe Indian was known to river men along the Chippewa since 1876. Called the King of the Chippewa River, he stood guard on the old Holcombe (Little Falls) Dam and was a most welcome site to lumberjacks driving their logs down the river to be . . . — Map (db m45431) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Jim Falls — Old Abe the War Eagle
On County Highway S at County Highway Y on County Highway S.
In the Spring of 1861 a band of hungry Chippewa Indians came to the McCann farm just across the river from here and traded a young eagle for corn. The eagle became a family pet. When Company C, 8th Wisconsin was organized at Eau Claire for Civil War . . . — Map (db m49313) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Jim Falls — 14 — Old Abe, the War Eagle
On State Highway 178 0.1 miles south of 150th Avenue/Barn Road, on the right when traveling north.
This wayside is part of the old McCann farm, childhood home of Old Abe, the War Eagle. In the Spring of 1861 a band of hungry Chippewa came to the McCann farm and traded a young eagle for corn. The eagle became a family pet. When Company C, Eighth . . . — Map (db m13984) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Lake Hallie — G. A. R. Monument
Near Prairie View Road at 40th Avenue.
G. A. R. In Memory of Our Heroes From '61 to '65 Erected by the W. R. C. No. 113. — Map (db m62219) WM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), New Auburn — 6 — Cartwright Mill
On East Elm Street at North Spruce Street, on the left when traveling east on East Elm Street.
The present Village of New Auburn approximates the site of Cartwright Mill, founded in 1875 by David J. and Paul W. Cartwright. To the original sawmill, powered by steam, they added a lath, shingle, and planing mill. Some buildings were of brick . . . — Map (db m45182) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Stanley — D.R. Moon Memorial Library
On Fourth Avenue (County Highway O) at Emery Street, on the right when traveling east on Fourth Avenue.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m42274) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Stanley — M-1900 Seacoast Ordnance
On South Broadway Street (County Highway H) at East 1st Avenue on South Broadway Street.
A 1928 act of Congress made obsolete World War I weapons available to municipalities and veteran's organizations for commemorative purposes. The Stanley American Legion Post requested this 5-inch bore artillery piece and it was dedicated on Memorial . . . — Map (db m42131) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Stanley — 12 — The Yellowstone Trail
On East 1st Avenue east of South Broadway Street (County Highway H), on the right when traveling east.
Before there were numbered highways in the United States there were names attached to roads to help motorists navigate from town to town or from county to county. In 1912 no one thought in terms of an inter-state highway. However, a small band of . . . — Map (db m42144) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Stanley — Veteran's Memorial
On South Broadway Street (County Highway H) at East 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Broadway Street.
"May Their Sacrifice Never Be Forgotten" American Legion Victory Post 112 Dedicated on Memorial Day May 31, 2010Map (db m46474) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Tilden — 17 — First Farm in Chippewa County(Located directly southwest of this Tilden Fire Station)
On 100th Avenue 0.7 miles west of County Highway Q, on the right when traveling west.
In 1847, a German by the name of George Myers arrived in Chippewa Falls looking for a tract of land for farming purposes. Prior to that time no one had attempted to cultivate any larger spot of ground than a garden patch. He chose this tract of land . . . — Map (db m55590) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Tilden — 30 — Saint Peter's Catholic Church
On County Highway Q 0.1 miles north of County Highway B, on the left when traveling north.
In the early 1850's, settlers from Rhine, Bavaria, Bohemia, and Luxembourg came to this part of Wisconsin now known as Tilden Township. They vowed to build a church in honor of the "Blessed Virgin Mother of God" giving thanks for their safe voyage . . . — Map (db m55397) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Colby — 161 — The Home of Colby Cheese
On South 1st Street north of West Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north.
At his father's cheese factory about one mile south and one mile west of here, Joseph F. Steinwand in 1885 developed a new and unique type of cheese. He named it for the township in which his father, Ambrose Steinwand, Sr., had built northern Clark . . . — Map (db m9189) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — History of The Big White Pine
On North Meridian Street (County Highway E) south of West Front Street, on the left when traveling north.
This tree was a landmark near the Iron-Ashland Co. line northeast of Glidden, Wis. The first section of 20 ft. is in Glidden. Les got the next cut of 12 ft. The tree measured 6 ft. on the stump. The tree was 144 ft. high. The first limb was 65 . . . — Map (db m22327) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — The Yellowstone Trail1912–1930
On North Meridian Street (County Highway E) north of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
The first coast-to-coast auto route across the northern tier of states. "A Good Road from Plymouth Rock to Puget Sound" Before 1912 Railroads dominated long distance transportation. Local roads were dust and mud. There was little . . . — Map (db m43262) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — Veterans Memorial
On North Meridian Street (County Highway E) north of Bowen Road, on the right when traveling north.
This memorial is solemnly dedicated to our living war veterans and to those who made the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m50289) HM

2556 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2356
Paid Advertisement