Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Wisconsin

2556 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 2156
 
Dorchester Veterans Memorial image, Touch for more information
By Keith L, September 15, 2011
Dorchester Veterans Memorial
Wisconsin (Clark County), Dorchester — Dorchester Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m47677) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Dorchester — S.S. Dorchester Memorial
The Ship Built 1926 Statistics: Length overall · 368' Beam · 52' Draft · 19' Gross tons · 5,649 Speed (knots) · 12 Radius (miles) · 5,500 Propulsion · Recip. eng. Passengers · 788 Cargo (cu. ft.) · 187,250 Jan. 24, . . . — Map (db m29648) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Greenwood — 23 — Mormon Settlements
The Mormons, Clark County's first loggers, came in 1844 and established camps between Wedge's Creek and Greenwood to cut timber for their Illinois city of Nauvoo. After the murder of their leader Joseph Smith at Carthage, Illinois in mid-1844, the . . . — Map (db m103977) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Castner–Mack Cemetery — Est. 1855
1st Cemetery in the Loyal Township Child of Daniel & Mary Mack 1858 Daniel Mack 1866 13th child of Erastus & Maria Mack 1860 Mary Benedict Mack 1874 Frank Castner 1877 Infant child of John & Lydia Castner 1880 Twin infants of . . . — Map (db m21947) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Loyal Veterans Memorial
All Gave Some Some Gave All This memorial is dedicated to our Loyal area veterans of the past and present for their bravery, service, and sacrifice in times of peace and war while protecting the principles of our United States of America. . . . — Map (db m49534) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Samuel Hartford — Soldier of 1812 — 1798 – 1884
When a lad of 14 he went as a substitute for his brother in law that his sister and her 7 little ones might not be deprived of a husband and father’s care. Served as Private in N. Y. Militia. Was in Battle of Niagara. Honorably discharged . . . — Map (db m9691) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 1897 Clark County Jail
The Clark County Historical Society 1897 Jail Museum has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior December 8, 1978 . . . — Map (db m41452) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 1919 Case Steam Engine
Originally used for threshing grain in the area by William Neville, this steam engine was owned by Martin "Max" Feuerstein from the 1930s through the 1960s to power a sawmill along 18th Street on Neillsville's northside. This sawmill produced lumber . . . — Map (db m41389) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 42 — Clark County Moraines
Most of the topographical features to be seen here can probably be attributed to deposits or moraines left when the glacier receded. The castellated hills or mounds northwest of Neillsville are of greater geological significance and interest, . . . — Map (db m9851) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Dickinson-Hoesly House
Dickinson-Hoesly House has been recognized as a Historic Landmark by the Neillsville Historic Preservation Commission 1891 (lower plaque) 2012 Wisconsin Centennial Property Build 1891 for Decatur and . . . — Map (db m76734) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Fragments — Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Honoring the men and women from Wisconsin who served in Vietnam. We left pieces of ourselves in Vietnam. We brought parts of Vietnam home. Each fragmented figure supports the others. A close inspection of the figure with the helmet reveals . . . — Map (db m25146) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Kilroy Was Here
During World War II this was a symbol for the American serviceman. Any place in the world where one of them went he would see it. It was found in restrooms, on trucks, tanks, ships, bombed out walls, and almost any place it could be painted, penned, . . . — Map (db m18637) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 41 — Major General Clarence L. Sturdevant — 1885 – 1958
General Sturdevant, chief architect and father of the Alcan Highway, was born in Neillsville and married Beth Youmans of this city. During forty years of devoted service General Sturdevant was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Bronze . . . — Map (db m30863) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — National Native American Vietnam Veterans Memorial — "The Forgotten Warrior"
This memorial statue was envisioned to serve as a touchstone where the quiet tears of unresolved grief from mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, relatives and friends could be shed in an honorific setting and be strengthened by the groundswell of . . . — Map (db m29599) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Neillsville Civil War Memorial
Erected 1908 by G.A.R. & W.R.C. 1861–1865 — Map (db m38763) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Neillsville Post Office
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Neillsville Post Office 1937 Henry Morgenthau Jr Secretary of the Treasury . . . — Map (db m47630) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — The Korean War Tribute — Dedicated to those who served
We, the Korean Veterans Tribute Committee, designed this tribute to convey to you insight into the hardships and isolation experienced by our troops. The three bronze figures represent bitter cold, extreme heat and seemingly never ending monsoons. . . . — Map (db m78738) WM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 560 — The White Pine in Neillsville History
Side A Neillsville has strong ties to the majestic white pine forests of the Wisconsin Territory. These forests along the Black River and its tributaries drew members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1841. Remembered . . . — Map (db m108558) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Women Airforce Service Pilots Monument
Women Airforce Service Pilots W.A.S.P. World War II 1942-1944                               Dedicated July 31, 2006Map (db m78703) WM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Women Veterans Memorial
In Honor and Remembrance of the Women of Wisconsin Who Have Served Our Nation Dedicated September 19, 1992 Donated by The Wisconsin Women and Men of Vietnam Veterans of America — Map (db m78718) WM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Stanley — The Worden Church of the Brethren
Site of The Worden Church of the Brethren Erected in 1904 Destroyed by tornado in 1958 Dedicated Sept. 28, 1975 by members and friends — Map (db m22324) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Thorp — Liberty Tree Memorial
Planted in honor of those who lost their lives in the tragic events on September 11, 2001 The American Liberty elm was named after "The Liberty Tree": Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom. On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people . . . — Map (db m47912) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Thorp — 537 — St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony
St. Hedwig's In 1891, a wooden church was built and named St. Hedwig's for a queen of Poland. In 1904, the present-day structure was built and accommodated the growing congregation with seating for 700 people. Members of the congregation . . . — Map (db m48771) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Baraboo — St. Mary's of the Pines
Built by B.I. Durward & Neighbors 1866 Damaged by fire 1923 Restored by Madison Council Knights of Columbus 1929 — Map (db m41612) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Cambria — David J. Jones
This memorial is dedicated to the life of David J. Jones Born in Cambria, WI, June 20, 1880. Davy grew up in Cambria playing baseball with well known local players such as the Dodge Brothers, Willard and Ben. Davy was an aggressive leadoff . . . — Map (db m66065) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Cambria — Historical Site
On this site in 1844, John Langdon & his four sons erected a sawmill, a dam & gristmill. Other early settlers by the names of McConochie, Dodge, Torbert, & Williams joined in construction. The original place name of Langdon's Mill, later became . . . — Map (db m66352) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Columbus City Hall
This 1892 Richardsonian Romanesque building was designed by T.D. Allen of Minneapolis using local materials. It originally housed the Library, Kindergarten and Fire Station in addition to the City Offices, Police Departments and Auditorium. The . . . — Map (db m67231) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Columbus Public Library
The Prairie Style Library was designed by Louis W. Claude (former associate of Louis Sullivan) and Edward F. Starck of Madison, Wisconsin, and built with funding from Andrew Carnegie and the Columbus Women's Club. The library was dedicated November . . . — Map (db m28344) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Farmers & Merchants Union Bank — Established 1861
In 1919, Bank President J. Russell Wheeler and his wife, Anna May Wheeler, retained Architect Louis Sullivan. Known as the father of the skyscraper, Sullivan was to design a building that would give the bank an image of financial security, civic . . . — Map (db m67230) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — 324 — Governor James Taylor Lewis / Governor Lewis: Civil War Era
Governor James Taylor Lewis · 1819 – 1904 Governor James T. Lewis, the ninth Governor of Wisconsin (1864-66), led the state through the tumultuous conclusion of the Civil War. He was born in New Your State and in 1845 settled in . . . — Map (db m22918) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial
. . . — Map (db m28289) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — World War II Memorial
The citizens of the Township of Elba purchased this land in 1947 as a memorial to the men and women who served their country in World War II. 1995 — Map (db m65642) WM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Friesland — Inglehart Church
A congregation of German settlers had been worshipping in a log cabin about 200 feet north of this sign, on property homesteaded by James Inglehart in 1846. In 1867 the congregation decided to build a church. James Inglehart offered this . . . — Map (db m74235) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Lodi — Historic Tree
The Palmer Tree, a stately burr oak was a mere acorn in front of the Palmer Family log cabin, when Lodi was settled in 1848. Its testimony to a peaceful community continues, as it stands proudly to welcome all who enter the Lodi Valley Historical . . . — Map (db m33882) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Merrimac — 187 — The Merrimac Ferry
Merrimac’s first permanent settler, Chester Mattson, obtained a territorial charter in 1848 to provide ferry service across the Wisconsin River. The State Legislature of 1851 authorized a road, subsequently to become State Trunk Highway 113, to . . . — Map (db m1932) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — Angie Williams Cox Public Library
Angie Williams Cox Public Library 1934 is listed in the State Register of Historic Places — Map (db m22869) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — 423 — Historic Pardeeville / Belmont Hotel
Historic Pardeeville In 1848, New York native and Milwaukee merchant, John S. Pardee hired agents to oversee his Fox River land holdings and to establish business operations from this location. Yates Ashley, the most notable of Pardee's . . . — Map (db m22896) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — Pardeeville World War I Memorial
1929 Dedicated to those of this community who served in the World War and to the memory of those who gave their last full measure of devotion. Erected by American Legion Auxiliary to Harry D. Jerred Post No. . . . — Map (db m39566) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 61 — Fort Winnebago
In the autumn of 1828 a permanent fort was built on this site by the First Regiment of the United States Infantry under the command of Maj. David E. Twiggs, later a general in the Confederate Army. The fort was constructed primarily to control the . . . — Map (db m2364) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Fort Winnebago Surgeons' Quarters
Home of Army Surgeons 1834 - 1845 Occupied by Francis LeRoy before 1828 Restored by Wisconsin Society, Daughters of the American Revolution 1954 — Map (db m42904) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 317 — Frederick Jackson Turner — 1861 – 1932
Considered the most important historian of the United States in the twentieth century, Frederick Jackson Turner brought a new understanding to the meaning of the American experience. He was born in Portage; his father was Andrew Jackson Turner, a . . . — Map (db m20029) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Historic Indian Agency House — Built in 1832
The Indian Agency House was built in 1832 by the United States Government for John Harris Kinzie and his wife Juliette Magill Kinzie. John Kinzie was the Indian Agent to the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Indians. He had been assigned by the Government to . . . — Map (db m42998) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet
This tablet marks the place near which Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet entered the Wisconsin River June 14, 1673 Erected by Wau-Bun Chapter D. A. R. 1905 — Map (db m2342) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 451 — Ketchum’s Point
Ketchum’s Point, named for a local family, stands above the low, marshy Portage connecting the Fox River and Great Lakes with the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers. This waterway served as a vital thoroughfare for supplies and furs during the fur . . . — Map (db m2407) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 63 — Marquette
On June 14, 1673 Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet started the portage (1.28 miles) from here to the Wisconsin River, which led to their discovery of the Upper Mississippi June 17, 1673 at Prairie du Chien. The expedition, in two birch bark . . . — Map (db m2341) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Pierre Pauquette Ferry
Landing place of the ferry built by Pierre Pauquette and operated by him from about 1828 until his death in 1836. This ferry was in use until the first bridge was built across the Wisconsin River in 1857. — Map (db m74344) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 106 — Potters' Emigration Society
Near here in 1849 Thomas Twiggs began a settlement of unemployed potters from Staffordshire, England. To help farmers on both sides of the Fox River reach his store and blacksmith shop at Twiggs' Landing, he operated Emancipation Ferry, named to . . . — Map (db m20084) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Revolutionary War Veteran
Patriots Cooper Pixley and Alexander Porter served the cause of gaining our nation's independence while dedicated members of the military. Both are buried in Section 33 of this National Soldiers Rest. Cooper Pixley, born in Great Barrington, . . . — Map (db m42899) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Site of Fort Winnebago
1828 — 1845 Surrender of Red Bird Noted Winnebago Chief 1827 Erected by Wau-Bun Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1924 — Map (db m4609) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 480 — Society Hill Historic District
This 137 building district is bounded, in part, by Emmett, Cass, Wisconsin and MacFarlane streets. Most of the houses were constructed between 1870 and 1910 and are in the Italianate and Queen Anne architectural styles. Society Hill reflects . . . — Map (db m20042) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — The Indian Agency House
. . . — Map (db m42997) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Trinity United Church of Christ
Trinity United Church of Christ Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Trinitatus Evangelische 1871 — Map (db m108279) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 513 — Zona Gale
Zona Gale was born August 26, 1874, in Portage. She graduated in 1899 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Masters in Literature. Gale then spent six years as a journalist in Milwaukee and New York. Her visits to Portage . . . — Map (db m20009) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 29 — John Muir View
John Muir (1838-1914), world famous naturalist and "father of the national park system," often stopped to rest and admire this view as he walked from his home in Marquette County to the University of Wisconsin. Muir loved the wilderness from which . . . — Map (db m20148) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 259 — Rest Areas on the I-Roads
Early roadside rest areas were rural school grounds and country churchyards with their two little houses in back. In Wisconsin, by 1920, curves were built to eliminate sharp road corners. Local garden clubs, with the American Legion and . . . — Map (db m22690) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 178 — The Circus
Wisconsin has a unique heritage as the birthplace of circuses. More than a hundred had their beginnings in Wisconsin, with Delavan providing winter-quarters for twenty-six between 1847 and 1894. New York brothers Edmund and Jeremiah Mabie brought . . . — Map (db m109259) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — Veterans of the American Revolution Memorial Bridge
A living memorial to and in honor of veterans who are buried in Wisconsin who served this nation in the American Revolution and who, by their efforts, were responsible for the founding of our country.

Veterans of the American Revolution After . . . — Map (db m43824) HM

Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 545 — Wallis Rowan and His Cabin
Wallis/Wallace Rowan (1800-1847) was born in Kentucky of Scotch Irish descent. He was a lead miner, trader, innkeeper, land speculator, farmer, and mill owner. In 1818 he married Elizabeth “Betsy” Metcalf in Illinois. By 1828 Rowan was . . . — Map (db m67233) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Highway
A living memorial to and in honor of all Wisconsin veterans living and deat, of all wars in which the United States of America has engaged.

Color guard of the 8th Wisconsin Infranty Regiment with Old Abe at Vicksburg, Mississippi, 1863 The . . . — Map (db m43825) HM

Wisconsin (Columbia County), Rio — Samuel & Chloe Leonard Doud — 1793 – 1860 · 1791 – 1874
In memory of Samuel & Chloe Leonard Doud 1793 – 1860 · 1791 – 1874 Donors of Ohio Cemetery First burial their grandson Winfield Doud 1848 – 1955 – — Map (db m25656) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — Bailey’s Eddy – Municipal Dock — Kilbourn Landmark
This natural harbor is named for Gen. Joseph Bailey, original owner of the property. It has been the gateway to the magnificent dells of Wisconsin for millions of visitors for over 100 years. Sight-seeing boats have developed from spoon-oared . . . — Map (db m7757) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — Bailey's Landing — (A Landmark Store)
This building was constructed on the home site of General Joseph Bailey Civil War hero and a founder of Kilbourn City (now Wisconsin Dells) in 1856. Bailey became a national Civil War hero in 1864 when Porter's Red River Fleet was stranded in low . . . — Map (db m7966) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — Belle Boyd — Kilbourn Landmark
Born May 9, 1844 in Martinsburg, VA. Died June 11, 1900 at Kilbourn, WI. On May 23, 1862 at the Battle of Front Royal, VA., Belle Boyd, then 18, ran across the battlefield between the firing lines with information for Gen. Stonewall . . . — Map (db m8023) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — First Evangelical Lutheran Church
This marks the site of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church in Moe Settlement 1863 — 1892 — Map (db m8172) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — H. H. Bennett Studio — Kilbourn Landmark — America’s Oldest Photographic Studio ·  Established in 1865
This building was constructed in 1875 by Henry Hamilton Bennett, pioneer landscape photographer, nationally known for his artistry, technical excellence and inventive genius. His views of this area brought the earliest tourists to his beloved Dells . . . — Map (db m7851) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — Kilbourn City — Kilbourn Landmark
The first bridge on this site, a wooden structure, was completed in 1857. Byron Kilbourn, land speculator and politician promoted the site. Through his influence the LaCrosse and Milwaukee Railroad crossed the river here instead of at Newport, 2 . . . — Map (db m8047) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — 177 — Kingsley Bend Indian Mounds
The mounds of this group are a fairly representative sample of those built by the people of the Effigy Mound Culture between A.D. 700-1000. It has been through excavation of other burial mounds quite similar to these that archeologists have learned . . . — Map (db m7731) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — Korean and Vietnam Veterans Memorial — American Legion
Praise be to God K.I.A. Korea   Durlin Morse Vietnam   Dennis Beard Korea Deceased Korean War Members of Harold B. Larkin Post 187 The American Legion "We honor those veterans who gave of themselves to . . . — Map (db m80461) WM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — 447 — Stroud Bank
Perry G. Stroud, a young attorney from New York, established this early bank in Kilbourn City, now Wisconsin Dells, in ca. 1870. Over his thirty-year career as the town's first attorney, Stroud preserved much of the city's early documentary history. . . . — Map (db m7850) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — World War I Roll of Honor — American Legion
Deceased WW I Members of Harold B. Larkin Post 187 The American Legion "They Served with Honor" Roll of Honor (W.W. I War Dead) Lawrence S. Christianson Otto Christopherson Hubert Coon Harold B. Larkin Keith L. . . . — Map (db m80577) WM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — Civil War Monument
In memory of our comrads. Buried in unknown graves. ——— Henry R. Coffin. Charles Bloom. John Chapman. Co. G. 2d Reg. Wis. Vol. • Clovis V. Bushnell. Co. B. 40th Reg. Wis. Vol. • . . . — Map (db m37975) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — 562 — Columbia County Asylum Cemetery — "Potter’s Field"
This plot of land, locally known as "Potter's Field", served as the final resting place for nearly 250 residents of the Columbia County Asylum. Indigent asylum residents left unclaimed by family members were buried here from 1871 until 1971, nearly . . . — Map (db m108556) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — Dickason Park / Toppe Field — Major Dickason / Erhardt Toppe
Major Dickason Major Elbert Dickason founded Wyocena in 1843. He platted and named the village in 1846. He was instrumental in Wyocena being temporarily named the county seat. He died in 1848 and is buried in the Wyocena Cemetery. Erhardt . . . — Map (db m37115) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — 468 — Major Elbert Dickason / Dickason's "Hotel"
Major Elbert Dickason Major Elbert Dickason founder of Wyocena, was born in Virginia in 1799. He moved to Illinois where he joined their militia during the Black Hawk War. Representing a Milwaukee land investor, he founded Columbus in 1839. . . . — Map (db m22839) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — 550 — Wyona Park / Rifle Pit Legend
Wyona Park This site has traditionally been a popular picnic area for Wyocena residents. As early as 1905, approximately 1,000 people attended an insurance company picnic at this location. In 1948, Gordon Spear, a lifetime Wyocena resident, . . . — Map (db m36448) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Ferryville — 528 — Patrick Joseph Lucey — Governor of Wisconsin, 1971 – 1977
Patrick J. Lucey was born in La Crosse on March 21, 1918, to Ferryville parents, Gregory C. and Ella McNamara Lucey. He was educated at Campion Academy, College of St. Thomas, and the University of Wisconsin. Lucey served in the U.S. Army . . . — Map (db m35407) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Gays Mills — Cliff Swallows — (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota)
In the spring of 2003, after the old bridge on Hwy 171 over the Kickapoo River was replaced with this new one, Cliff Swallows started breeding under the concrete structure. Cliff Swallows are one of 6 species of swallows breeding in Wisconsin. . . . — Map (db m40391) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Gays Mills — 23 — Gays Mills Apple Orchards
Farmers in this area learned early that the land on both sides of the Kickapoo River offered excellent conditions for apple-growing. In 1905 John Hays and Ben Twining collected apples from eight or ten farmers around Gays Mills for exhibit at the . . . — Map (db m31676) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Gays Mills — Gays Mills Sesquicentennial — 1848 – 1998
In the year 1847 James B. Gay, a civil engineer and native of Indiana, journeyed to the unsettled Kickapoo Valley. Here he was impressed by acres of untouched forest which covered the hills and valleys. Finding a good rock bottom in the river and . . . — Map (db m40057) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Lynxville — 149 — Rafting on the Mississippi
After 1837 the vast timber resources of northern Wisconsin were eagerly sought by settlers moving into the mid-Mississippi valley. By 1847 there were more than thirty saw-mills on the Wisconsin, Chippewa, and St. Croix river systems, cutting largely . . . — Map (db m23456) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 431 — Black Hawk's Surrender
On August 2, 1832, the Black Hawk War effectively ended when the U.S. Military massacred many followers of Sauk Indian leader Black Hawk at the Battle of Bad Axe, located about 35 miles north of here. Black Hawk, known as Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak, . . . — Map (db m43531) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — Jefferson Davis — 1808 – 1889
Lieutenant United States Army Assigned Fort Crawford 1831 Served here with distinction during Black Hawk War Hero in Mexican War 1846-1848 United States Congressman Senator, Secretary of War President Confederate States of America . . . — Map (db m43642) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 1 — L'ancien Cimetiere Francais — Old Frenchtown Cemetery
L'ancien Cimetiere Francais Blessed by Father Dunand May 6, 1817 Here, on grounds long used by Indians, French 'hommes du nord' buried their loved ones. Present Markers - Mr. & Mrs. Alexander Gardipi 1845 • Jean Joseph Rolette . . . — Map (db m43649) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 91 — Museum of Medical Progress — Site of Second Fort Crawford Military Hospital
The Second Fort Crawford Military Hospital was built here in 1831. In 1934 this portion of it was restored with original stone as a memorial to William Beaumont, M.D. (1785-1853), pioneer military surgeon. Among prominent military personnel . . . — Map (db m43641) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 188 — Pere Marquette and Sieur Jolliet
In 1673, Louis Jolliet, Canadian fur-trader and explorer, and Father Jacques Marquette, French Jesuit Missionary, with five French Canadian boatmen, were the first white men to enter the upper Mississippi River. Indians directed them to the . . . — Map (db m43530) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 116 — Prairie du Chien
In prehistoric times water from melting glaciers cut a wide valley between the bluffs of the Mississippi River to form a broad flood plain. On it French explorers, traders and missionaries found a large and well-established Fox Indian village. The . . . — Map (db m43529) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — Prairie du Chien Veterans Memorial
Prairie du Chien Veterans Memorial [emblems of the military service branches]Map (db m53014) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 432 — Site of the Second Fort Crawford — 1829 – 1856
The first Fort Crawford was built in 1816, and stood on the site now occupied by the "Villa Louis." After a decade of Mississippi River flooding, the U. S. Army relocated Fort Crawford to this site, constructing the new fort of locally quarried . . . — Map (db m43532) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — Veterans Memorial
Lest We Forget For us they served For us they gave Now in one accord We do them honor Dedicated to all men and women of Crawford County Wisconsin who served this great nation for God and country in military service . . . — Map (db m44716) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 474 — Villa Louis
This hilltop mansion commands a sweeping view of a landscape steeped in history. Descendants of pioneer fur trader Hercules Dousman built the house in 1870 atop a mound overlooking the Mississippi River, which drew European explores to this spot in . . . — Map (db m23586) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 10 — Villa Louis
On the site of old Fort Crawford, Col. Hercules Louis Dousman, important agent in John J. Astor's fur company, built his "house on the mound" in 1843. Later it was named Villa Louis. Today this luxurious mansion appears much as it did in the days . . . — Map (db m23589) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 142 — War of 1812
Although Prairie du Chien belonged to the United States after the American Revolution, its pioneer residents were tied by trade, tradition and family to the French-British community at Mackinac and to the St. Lawrence River ports. During the . . . — Map (db m23591) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — William Beaumont, M. D. — Pioneer in Physiology
Born Lebanon, Conn. 1785 Died St. Louis, Mo. 1853 At old Fort Crawford, one mile and a half northwest of this spot, one hundred years ago, Doctor Beaumont, a surgeon in the United States Army, performed those experiments on Alexis St. Martin . . . — Map (db m44696) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Rising Sun — 10 CVP — Black Hawk Trail
700 Sac Indians July 31, 1200 Soldiers Aug. 1, 1832 followed this ridge west into Vernon County over this ground. _____________________ Two human skeletons were found at a spring west of Wilder's Hotel, Rising Sun in 1852. . . . — Map (db m32003) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Rolling Ground — Beauford T. Anderson
Technical Sergeant, U.S. Army, 381st Infantry, 96th Infantry Division, was born at Eagle, WI. on July 6th, 1922. He entered the service at Soldiers Grove, WI. in October, 1942. While serving his country in Okinawa, . . . — Map (db m32769) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Soldiers Grove — 112 — James Davidson
Product of a small American community, James 0. Davidson's life illustrates the romance of citizenship in a democracy. Born 1854 in Norway, where he received little formal education, he emigrated in 1872 and was a farmer and tailor before coming in . . . — Map (db m31671) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Soldiers Grove — 405 — Soldiers Grove Origin
In late July, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Sac Indian leader Black Hawk led his starving followers through this area in their escape from the General Henry Atkinson and his military forces. After Black Hawk's brilliant delaying tactics at the . . . — Map (db m31659) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Belleville — Early Belleville / Library Park
(side 1) Early Belleville Finding a mill site on the Sugar River, founder John Frederick settled here in 1845. His mill prompted "Yankee" settlement and a village developed with a hotel/tavern, blacksmith, harness maker and general . . . — Map (db m59539) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Belleville — 329 — Primrose Lutheran Church
In the mid-nineteenth century, many newly arrived Norwegian immigrants in southern Wisconsin depended upon the spiritual and practical guidance of itinerant Lutheran ministers to help successfully adapt to the new land. One of the most influential . . . — Map (db m55047) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Belleville — 9 — St. Raphael's Frenchtown Cemetery
Final resting place of early French emigrants and their descendants. Coming directly to the Montrose-Belleville community from St. Germain in eastern France, 32 families arrived beginning in the early 1850's. Unique and isolated, the group . . . — Map (db m37296) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Black Earth — 30 — Patrons' Mercantile Co-op — Oldest Cooperative in the Nation
Town of Vermont farmers, beset by a depressed economy in the early 1890's, organized a company to obtain quality products at fair prices. Amos Thorsrud was the first general manager. He and Nels Simley toured local farms to sell $10 shares in a . . . — Map (db m41930) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Black Earth — Vermont Creek
This once clear tributary to the Wisconsin River now carries tons of soil from croplands on ridges and slopes. Silver maples, willows and box elders grow on the soil deposited by erosion. The low peaty meadows on both sides of the creek serve as a . . . — Map (db m36987) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 29 — Blue Mounds Fort
The onset of the Black Hawk War in northwestern Illinois in April, 1832 triggered panic in southwestern Wisconsin's lead mining region, prompting erection of over a dozen stockades. On an open prairie knoll 3/4 mile south of this marker, area miners . . . — Map (db m35412) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 18 — Brigham Park
Ebenezer Brigham (1789-1861), first permanent white settler of Dane County, came here as a prospector in 1828. The inn he built for his miners became popular with travelers on the old Military Road, and Blue Mounds became a well-known landmark. . . . — Map (db m36125) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — Brigham Park
You are looking north from the Military Ridge toward Mazomanie, which lies in the Wisconsin River Valley. Beyond the Wisconsin River bluffs, on a clear day, the higher Baraboo Hills can be seen 35 miles away. These hills, with some of the oldest . . . — Map (db m36986) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — Elvers Corner — Vermont Township
This corner has a colorful background as the site of a saw mill, grist mill, post office, grocery store, hotel, blacksmith shop, dance hall and until 1958 the Town Hall. In 1847 Samuel Lattimer built a saw mill that operated until 1865 when it was . . . — Map (db m55592) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 38 — German Valley — Evangelical Lutheran Parochial Schule
German immigrant families from Hesse began settling in this area of Blue Mounds Township in the 1840s. As early as 1856, Lutheran missionaries conducted home services for the rural community. In 1867, on acreage purchased from Justus Heuser, a frame . . . — Map (db m75828) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — Site of Blue Mounds Fort
Built in May 1832 by the miners and settlers of the neighborhood and garrisoned by them as volunteer members of General Henry Dodge's Iowa-Michigan Brigade from May 20 to September 20, 1832 during the Black Hawk War This site was donated . . . — Map (db m36980) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Cambridge — 11 — Koshkonong
Koshkonong Prairie with its twin churches at both East and West Koshkonong is one of the focal points from which Norwegian Lutheranism spread to many parts of the American continent. In 1844 at the request of pioneer Norwegian immigrants . . . — Map (db m36145) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Cottage Grove — 17 — The Wisconsin Granger Movement
The Cottage Grove Grange, which became a leader in the state and national Grange movement, had its meeting hall near this site shortly after the Civil War. As a community center it became a significant cultural and social influence for pioneer farm . . . — Map (db m37290) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — Festge Park
You are looking across a deep preglacial valley. Once glacial meltwaters drained west to the Wisconsin River, depositing sand and gravel brought south to Middleton by the giant ice sheets. Today, winding through this unglaciated outwash plain is . . . — Map (db m36988) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — 15 — Haney's Tavern
In 1838 at the foot of this bluff Berry Haney, a migrant from Cross Plains, Tennessee, established the Cross Plains Post Office in a log house. Early Cross Plains was the site of important military road crossings and Haney became the pioneer . . . — Map (db m32617) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — Kerl School — (Dist. No. 6)
Land for the Kerl School was donated by Otto Kerl, farmer and homeopathic practitioner. The school was built of native limestone by John Miller for $325 and opened in 1874. Early teachers earned $25 to $30 per month. From 1887 to 1907, there were . . . — Map (db m41963) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — The Matz Farmstead — 1852 - 2012
The Matz Farmhouse, approx. 1907 [photo] You are standing in front of the stone remnants of the Matz farmhouse. The land was first homesteaded in 1852. Friedrich describes the initial living quarters as, “An American farmer isn’t set . . . — Map (db m108764) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — The Plain Good Building of Cross Plains
Construction on this site began in 1854. Time had reduced this building nearly to ruin during 143 years of service to this community. With great skill and uncompromising attention to detail, it was completely restored during the winter of 1997-1998 . . . — Map (db m41395) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Daleyville — 2 — Hauge Log Church - 1852
Early Norse pioneers who realized a need for a house of worship built the first Norwegian Lutheran Church in western Dane County from logs in the winter of 1851-52. First services held May 27, 1852 by the Rev. A.C. Preus. Previous itinerant pastors . . . — Map (db m36718) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Dane — 42 — Nathan Dane
Dane County was created by the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature in 1836. Judge James Doty had convinced the Legislature to select Madison as the Capital and name the surrounding county in honor of Nathan Dane, a compiler of the Ordinance of 1787, . . . — Map (db m37643) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Dane — 26 — Old Military Road - 100 Mile Point
In July, 1833, Lt. Alexander Center blazed a nearby oak, marking the 100-mile point of a military road he and James Doty were surveying. The Old Military Road, built from 1835 to 1837, connected Ft. Crawford at Prairie du Chien, Ft. Winnebago at . . . — Map (db m36907) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Deerfield — Goose Lake
To your left is a "drumlin," a long streamlined hill formed by the last glacier about 15,000 years ago. A vast field of 40 drumlins, all pointing southwest, can be seen from high points in this area. Centuries ago, marshes, bogs and lakes formed in . . . — Map (db m42378) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — 32 — Andreas Dahl — 1844-1923
Andreas Dahl came to DeForest from Valdres, Norway in 1869. For more than a decade as an itinerant photographer in southern Wisconsin, he took pictures that captured the essence of life at that time. His studio stood to the north of this site and . . . — Map (db m37005) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — De Forest Centennial — 1863 - 1963
The Village of De Forest and the surrounding 2200 acres were once owned by Isaac N. De Forest. He purchased the site for $25.00 an acre in 1854 to farm and raise wheat. In 1856, before moving to Wetmore, Kansas, he started platting the site for a . . . — Map (db m37568) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — Our Bell
Windsor Township High School was built on this site in 1895 on land donated by Ole S. Holum. This bell, a gift of the community's grateful young people, was installed in June 1896. When Union High School replaced the original building, the bell was . . . — Map (db m37567) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — Site of the First Well in DeForest
In the 1850's, the U.S. government commissioned a well to be dug on this site to insure the settlers of a pure source of water. The well was seventy feet deep and cased in hand-laid stone. It served the community for many years after the Karows . . . — Map (db m38091) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — The De Forest Depot — Built in 1871
The DeForest Depot was built in 1871, at the time of the construction of the railroad line which connected Madison to Portage. Land for a depot was donated to the railroad by Isaac DeForest. Recognizing the importance of rail service to the growth . . . — Map (db m37570) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Fitchburg — Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School — District No. 9 — 1860-1919
Originally at the NW corner of Fish Hatchery and Lacy Roads, the Dogtown School was later relocated ½ mile north and called the Fish Hatchery School. The Gorman Family relocated and restored the one room schoolhouse on this site in 1989. — Map (db m26762) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Fitchburg — Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School — District No. 9 — 1860-1962
Originally at the NW corner of Fish Hatchery and Lacy Roads, the Dogtown School was later relocated ½ mile north and called the Fish Hatchery School. In 1919 a new building was built at the original site. This building burned in 1937. A third . . . — Map (db m26765) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Fitchburg — Illinois Central Depot
On this site a two-story railroad depot stood from 1888 to 1939. The depot served the Illinois Central Railroad, which provided passenger and freight service to Fitchburg on its route from Freeport, Illinois to Madison. The depot had a ticket . . . — Map (db m76347) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Fitchburg — 364 — The McCoy Farmhouse
Located on one of Dane County's earliest and most successful tobacco farms, the cream-brick-Italianate McCoy Farmhouse was built by Benjamin Brown in 1861. Tobacco growing began here in 1853 and boomed during the Civil War when Southern tobacco . . . — Map (db m33682) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 82 — "Elmside" — The Simeon and Maria Mills House — 1863
This elegant Italian villa style house was constructed of native sandstone on the 191-acre country estate of Simeon and Maria Mills. An early pioneer from Ohio, Mills erected Madison's first store and was a banker, real estate developer and . . . — Map (db m41983) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — "Let The Great Spirits Soar"
This memorial, carved by Harry R. Whitehorse from a storm-damaged hackberry tree, honors his Indian ancestors and is a tribute to the Effigy Mound Builders. Sculpture funded by City of Madison Committee for the Arts Dane County Cultural Affairs . . . — Map (db m33497) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 84 — 9XM - WHA — "The Oldest Station in the Nation"
On this campus pioneer research and experimentation in "wireless" led to successful transmissions of voice and music in 1917, and the beginning of broadcasting on a scheduled basis in 1919. Experimental station 9XM transmitted telegraphic . . . — Map (db m33629) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — A Grand Experiment — Bascom Hill Historic District
Fed up with the formalities of traditional education, Professor Alexander Meikeljohn decided in 1927 to try something new, converting a university residence hall into an "Experimental College." Students took no tests and received no grades, but . . . — Map (db m31986) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — A Stage for All — Bascom Hill Historic District
Not long after she was denied permission to perform in the D.A.R. Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C., because she was African-American, famous singer Marian Anderson found welcome at the University of Wisconsin. She sang at the Memorial Union in . . . — Map (db m32697) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 64 — Adolf H. Kayser House — Claude and Starck — 1902
The Adolph H. Kayser house was designed by Claude and Starck, a local architectural firm that would later become the foremost practitioner of the Prairie School style in Madison. The design of the Kayser house is a distinctive blend of classical . . . — Map (db m40968) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 141 — Aldo Leopold House — 1924
Aldo Leopold lived in this Craftsman style house from 1924 until his death in 1948. Leopold came to Madison to work at the U.S. Forest Products Laboratory and was a pioneer in forestry, wilderness preservation, soil conservation and wildlife . . . — Map (db m45691) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 4 — Alexander Smith House
Built of sand limestone and cap limestone from a nearby quarry, this residence is an example of the Greek Revival style. The building was constructed as a farmhouse, but it also served as a halfway house for travelers between Milwaukee and Prairie . . . — Map (db m41991) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 36 — American Exchange Bank — 1871 — Shipman
This Italian Renaissance Revival style structure, a distinguished example of its type, was designed by Madison architect Stephen Vaughn Shipman. Built of Madison sandstone as the Park Savings Bank, the structure occupies the former site of the . . . — Map (db m33644) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — American House
American House occupied this site 1838-1868 The first legislature in Madison met here November 26, 1838 — Map (db m36662) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 98 — American Tobacco Co. Warehouses — 1899 - 1901
These two buildings are the most substantial warehouses built in Madison to house the processing of leaf tobacco. From the Civil War until the 1940s, leaf tobacco was among Dane County's most lucrative crops. The tobacco grown in Wisconsin was . . . — Map (db m53072) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 100 — Anna and Cornelius Collins Residence — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1908
This house, designed by Madison's premier architectural firm of Claude and Starck in 1908, incorporates an eclectic mix of popular styles of the era and includes Prairie, Tudor and Craftsman features. Windows take center stage at the front faηade: . . . — Map (db m49272) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Anton F. and Mary Kubicek Duplex
Anton F. and Mary Kubicek Duplex 1926 is listed in the State Register of Historic Places — Map (db m23740) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Armory & Gymnasium — University of Wisconsin - Madison
Armory & Gymnasium University of Wisconsin - Madison has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m34019) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 65 — B. B. Clarke House — Claude and Starck — 1899
One of Claude and Starck's earliest designs, this Queen Anne house has a Gothic theme, with pointed-arched windows and steeply pitched roofs. It was designed for B. B. Clarke, who earned a fortune in Indiana by manufacturing threshing machines . . . — Map (db m32867) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — B.B. Clarke
First known as Monona Park when it was established in 1902, then Spaight Street Park, this park was renamed in 1929 for Bascom B. Clarke (1851-1929), a Madison businessman. He was a founder of the Dane County Telephone Company, publisher of the . . . — Map (db m41073) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 89 — Badger State Shoe Factory — Ferdinand Kronenberg, Architect — 1910
Albert and Henry Atkins founded the Badger State Shoe Factory in Milwaukee in 1893. They expanded production to Madison in 1900 and in 1910 constructed this building to consolidate manufacturing operations. Significant for its association with turn . . . — Map (db m49284) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Barry Alvarez
Winningest coach in UW football history with 118-73-4 record Guided Badgers to three Big Ten and three Rose Bowl titles in 16 seasons (1990-2006) Led UW to .727 winning percentage (8-3 record) in bowl games (best in college history at time of his . . . — Map (db m45685) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 8 — Bashford House — 1856-7
This house is an example of the towered Italian Villa style executed in sandstone. Its square, hipped roof, three story tower, or campanile, is unique among old Madison residences. The house was first occupied by H. K. Lawrence, banker and . . . — Map (db m32466) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 99 — Baskerville Apartments — 1913-1914
The Baskerville Apartments is one of Madison's finest remaining early apartment houses, built in an era of population explosion caused by enlargement of the University of Wisconsin, state government and private industry. Downtown densities increased . . . — Map (db m38941) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bear — Wah-Zhe-Dah
Common type of ancient Indian mound - length 82 feet — Map (db m33425) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 94 — Bear and Lynx Effigy Mounds — 500-1000 A.D.
These mounds were constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33501) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 6 — Beecroft House — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1911
This house is attributed to Madison master architects Claude and Starck and is an excellent example of the Prairie style of architecture. Louis Claude was influenced by the work of architectural masters Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright and George . . . — Map (db m58121) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 81 — Bellevue Apartments — 1913 - 1914
Constructed by local builder Charles E. Marks, the Bellevue was the largest and most expensive apartment building erected during Madison's pre-World War I apartment house boom. Advertised as a place of "ease and comfort," the Bellevue featured such . . . — Map (db m39920) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 109 — Belmont Hotel — Balch and Lippert, Architects — 1923 - 1924
The Belmont Hotel was built to serve business travelers and legislators, with two dining rooms and "modern facilities," meaning adjacent bathrooms. City boosters hoped that it would encourage conventions to come to Madison. The construction of the . . . — Map (db m41969) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 47 — Bernard - Hoover Boat House — 1915
This frame building is the third boat house on the site. The site symbolizes the importance of pleasure boating in Madison in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The original boat yards and house were operated by Charles Bernard in . . . — Map (db m38703) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bernie's Beach
Bernie Holtman Park, commonly known as Bernie's Beach, was dedicated in 1981. It was previously known as South Shore Beach and, before that, Gilson Street Beach. From 1945 until his death in 1980, Bernard Julius Holtman was the owner of Bernie's . . . — Map (db m45499) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 55 — Biederstaedt – Breitenbach Grocery — 1874
A store with a residence above was a common pattern in nineteenth century Madison. This brick structure was erected as a saloon and grocery for Charles Biederstaedt. Built in a high Victorian Italianate mode, it replaced an earlier structure. In . . . — Map (db m33233) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bird Effigy
Common type of Indian emblematic mound: Body 52½ feet, wingspread formerly about 133 feet — Map (db m33423) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 34 — Bird Effigy Mound — 500-1000 A.D.
This mound was constructed by people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33532) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Black Hawk — Sauk Chief
Black Hawk, Sauk chief, retreated through these grounds July 21, 1832 pursued by militia and U.S. regulars. — Map (db m32247) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 1 — Black Hawk — Lake Monona: Change
Madison changed with great speed in the 1830s: from Ho-Chunk home to war zone to capital city. Powerful forces were gathering against the Ho-Chunks. To gain more land, southwest Wisconsin lead miners pressured the U.S. government to remove the . . . — Map (db m35314) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Born in Madison, the Wisconsin Idea changed the nation — The Madison Heritage Series
In the early 20th century, experts from around the country came to study Wisconsin’s “laboratory of democracy.” The state’s Progressive politicians, led by “Fighting Bob”—Governor Robert La Follette Sr.—were using . . . — Map (db m32939) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 143 — Boutell House — 1923
The Boutell House is significant as an elegant and finely detailed example of the Georgian Revival style in Madison. The style, locally popular between 1900 and 1940, is the product of the emergence of interest in Colonial architecture of the United . . . — Map (db m53984) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 17 — Bowen House — 1856-7
This Italianate style farmhouse was built for Seth Van Bergen from locally quarried sandstone. It is characterized by ornate wood bracketing and a central cupola. In 1859, Van Bergen sold the house to James B. Bowen, local homeopathic physician, and . . . — Map (db m40976) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bradley-Sigma Phi House
Bradley-Sigma Phi House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m41264) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 43 — Braley House — 1875-76
The house of Judge Arthur B. Braley was a social and cultural center of the Mansion Hill area in the Nineteenth Century. The house was built of cream brick with incised stone lintels in the Late Gothic Revival style. Braley, a patron of the literary . . . — Map (db m33723) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 13 — Breese J. Stevens House — 1863 - 1864
This multi-faceted brick Italianate house was built for Madison lawyer, Daniel K. Tenney. In 1871, Tenney sold it to Breese J. Stevens who probably altered the house significantly during his ownership. Stevens was elected mayor of Madison in 1884 . . . — Map (db m40861) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Breese Stevens Field
Madison's oldest sports park is named for Breese Stevens (1834-1903). A New York native, he came to Wisconsin in 1856 to look after family landed interests. Stevens became Mayor of Madison in 1884, UW Regent in 1891, and Doctor of Law in 1902. . . . — Map (db m32639) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 132 — Breese Stevens Field — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1925; 1934
Breese Stevens Field, named for the former Madison mayor whose family donated the land, is significant as the city's premier athletic facility from 1926 through the 1960s. The grandstand, designed by prominent Madison architects Claude and Starck in . . . — Map (db m58008) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 49 — Brittingham Boat House — Ferry & Clas — 1910
The construction of this public boat house represents the spirit of municipal improvement that infused this city at the turn of the century. The parkland and its model facilities were created through the generosity of lumberman Thomas E. Brittingham . . . — Map (db m32456) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 22 — Buell House — 1894 — Conover & Porter
Designed for Madison attorney Charles Buell in the Shingle style with Queen Anne proportions and ornament, this house was the first built in University Heights. Called "Buell's Folly," it was the work of Madison architects Allen D. Conover and Lew . . . — Map (db m41149) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Burr Jones Field
This park was named in recognition of the Honorable Burr W. Jones (1846-1935) an active member of the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association who conveyed property and funds to create and enhance the Madison parks system. Jones, a Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m90223) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Burrows Park
This land was bequeathed to the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association in 1909 by one of its active members, George B. Burrows (1832 - 1909). The lake shore area was filled to its present level by dredging the lake bottom. Until 1913 an on-site . . . — Map (db m44408) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 111 — Camp Randall
From these historic grounds went forth Wisconsin's sons to fight for the preservation of the nation in the American Civil War -- 1861-1865. More than 70,000 men trained for service within the boundaries of this camp named after Alexander W. Randall, . . . — Map (db m31743) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Capitol Square has long been the heart of the city — The Madison Heritage Series
Even before Madison was founded, people met to exchange money and merchandise not far from this spot. Five hundred Ho-Chunk camped near the square in 1832 to swap furs for trader Oliver Armel’s goods. People began building businesses on Capitol . . . — Map (db m33482) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 107 — Cardinal Hotel — Ferdinand Kronenberg, Architect — 1908-1909
The Cardinal Hotel, designed by prolific Madison architect Ferdinand Kronenberg, is significant for its association with east Madison's commercial and railway corridor. Conceived primarily to serve rail passengers, when constructed the hotel towered . . . — Map (db m77755) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 351 — Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison
Once located at this site on North Blount Street, the Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison operated from 1940 until its closing in 1956. Founded by Lawrence Rabbitt and Reuben Sand, the company was one of the largest manufacturers of figurines in the . . . — Map (db m31833) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Chamberlin Rock
This tablet commemorates the services to Wisconsin of Thomas Chrowder Chamberlin, leader in science and education, State Geologist of Wisconsin, 1873-1882, President of the University, 1887-1892. As State Geologist he conducted a survey . . . — Map (db m32249) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 118 — Chi Phi Fraternity — Law, Law and Potter, Architects — 1928
The Chi Phi fraternity house is an outstanding example of the Tudor Revival style and is constructed of Madison sandstone. The striking design featuring steeply pitched and parapeted gables is one of the most accomplished works of premier Madison . . . — Map (db m78506) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 84 — Chi Psi Lodge — 1911-1913
This imposing fraternity house was designed by noted Milwaukee architect Alexander C. Eschweiler and was built using Madison's native sandstone. Its Tudor Revival style is one of the best examples of that architecture in Madison. The Iota chapter of . . . — Map (db m40963) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 86 — City Horse Barn — Built 1910-1914
This simple brick structure is a rare survivor of the horse-and-wagon era. Built as part of the old city yards, the barn housed up to nine draft horses whose job it was to pull maintenance and service vehicles. Each of the nine windows on the Dayton . . . — Map (db m32640) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 50 — City Market — 1909 — Robert L. Wright
The City Market reflects the active civic improvement work in Madison at the turn of the century. Like other public projects, the Market was intended to enhance the advantages of city life. The building design by Madison architect Robert L. Wright . . . — Map (db m32638) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 29 — Collins House — c. 1911 — Claude & Starck
Built for lumber executive William Collins, this dwelling was designed by architects Louis Claude and Edward Starck. The house is characterized by a gable roof, wide eaves, leaded glass windows, and horizontal and vertical banding that lends an . . . — Map (db m40964) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Confederate Rest
The valiant Confederate soldiers who lie buried here were members of the 1st Alabama Inf. Reg., Confederate States of America. They were captured in the spring of 1862 in the Civil War Battle of Island No. 10 in the Mississippi River south of Cairo, . . . — Map (db m33779) HM WM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Conical Mound — 0 - 400 A.D.
This mound was constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33245) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Controlling Blood Clotting — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Through the misfortune of a Wisconsin farmer, biochemist Karl Paul Link and his University of Wisconsin associates were handed the keys to discovery of anticlotting factors. Farmer Ed Carlson in February 1933 brought to Link sweet clover hay that he . . . — Map (db m57058) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 76 — Corry Carriage House — 1911
This quaint stone carriage house was built for James and Minnie Corry. Corry, a well-known realtor, helped develop the Fair Oaks plat and was a promoter of the east side. The Corrys' plans to build a house in front of the carriage house were halted . . . — Map (db m45442) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 56 — Curtis-Kittleson House — 1901
William D. Curtis commissioned the architectural firm of J. O. Gordon and F. W. Paunack to design this imposing brick house with Queen Anne style. Hallmarks of the style include the complex shape, wide veranda and corner tower, highlighted by . . . — Map (db m32670) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 48 — Cutter House — 1882
Judson C. Cutter, an entrepreneur, commissioned the construction of this house, but he never lived here. The house is designed in a late Victorian period style, sometimes called Stick-Eastlake. The decorative surface treatment, which seems to show . . . — Map (db m41002) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — David James Schaefer — 1955-2004
David James Schaefer, 1955-2004 was a phenomenal phenomenon. Though plagued by the progressive debilities of cerebral palsy, "Schaefer" was an uncomplaining and generous friend to many. Disability Rights Specialist for the City of Madison in . . . — Map (db m40520) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 85 — Delta Upsilon Fraternity House — 1906-1907
Founded in the spring of 1885, the Wisconsin Chapter of Delta Upsilon Fraternity has occupied this stately structure since 1907. Delta Upsilon Fraternity is unique among local fraternities as a non-secret Greek letter society since it has no secret . . . — Map (db m40961) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 69 — Derrick C. Bush House — ca. 1867
Built of cream brick, this handsome Italianate house was constructed for Derrick C. Bush (1816-1887). A Vermont native, Bush became the village of Madison's first assessor in 1854, and later, a county judge. A later owner, Phineas Baldwin, was a . . . — Map (db m41393) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 137 — Dick-Eddy Buildings — 1889 and 1907 — Conover and Porter, Architects
The imposing Dick Building is a flat-iron building in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, a style in which the local architects, Conover and Porter, were particularly adept. The Dick block was built in part to house Christian Dick's wine and liquor . . . — Map (db m47942) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Discovering Vitamins and Trace Minerals — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
By feeding diets of single grains to sixteen dairy heifers, University of Wisconsin scientists under the direction of biochemist E.B. Hart in 1907 set the stage for the discovery of vitamins and essential trace minerals. These feeding experiments . . . — Map (db m32356) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Discovery of Vitamins A and B — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
In 1913 University of Wisconsin biochemist Elmer V. McCollum and associates used rats to conduct nutritional studies that led to the discovery of vitamin A in butterfat and cod liver oil. In 1917 his group discovered vitamin B complex in milk whey. . . . — Map (db m57103) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Disease-Resistant Plants — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
At the end of the 19th century, a fungal infection called cabbage yellows threatened the entire Wisconsin cabbage crop. University of Wisconsin plant pathologist John C. Walker solved the problem by developing strains of cabbage resistant to the . . . — Map (db m32398) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 156 — Doty School — Claude and Starck, Architect — 1906
Built during a population boom in Madison, Doty School replaced the smaller Fourth Ward School built on this site in 1866. When it opened, the new school was renamed for Madison's founder, James Duane Doty, the person responsible for Madison's . . . — Map (db m53073) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 158 — Dowling Apartments — Philip Dean, Architect — 1922
William and Margaret Dowling built this impeccably maintained Craftsman style apartment building. It included luxury amenities such as chandeliers and built-in breakfronts in the dining rooms, laundry service and a dumb waiter system. Margaret . . . — Map (db m40290) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Dr. Robert Fassnacht — In Memoriam
This is the site of the Sterling Hall bombing, which occurred at 3:40 AM on August 24, 1970. An outstanding research scientist, Dr. Robert Fassnacht, was killed in the bombing while working during the night in his laboratory on a physics experiment . . . — Map (db m40975) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 155 — Draper Brothers Block — 1867
The Draper Brothers block is significant as one of the few remaining buildings of native sandstone from Madison's earliest era of commercial development and for being associated with Madison's commercial history, having housed a meat market on the . . . — Map (db m52846) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Drohman Farm
The land surrounding this spot was originally the farm of George and Mary Drohman, pioneer German settlers who came to the U.S. around 1846. From 1851 to 1906 another German-American family, Adolph and Mary Sigglekow and their two sons, tilled this . . . — Map (db m45337) HM

2556 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 2156
Paid Advertisement