Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Confederate Woman's Home
The Texas Confederate Woman’s home opened in 1908 and provided a home for over three thousand wives and widows of Confederate Veterans. Potential residents were wives or widows of honorably discharged Confederate soldiers, women who could prove active participation in the Confederate War effort, and women 60 years or older without a means of support.
The Confederate Men’s Home began in Austin in 1884 and the Albert Sidney Johnston Chapter #105 of the Texas Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) made visits, brought gifts, food and clothing to the veterans. Under the leadership of President Katie Daffan, the Texas UDC began coordination and fundraising to secure a home for needy Confederate wives and widows. Through dinners, events, concerts and individual donations, the Texas UDC purchased property and constructed a Richardson Romanesque Revival style structure. In addition to several bedrooms and bathrooms, the home featured a parlor, dining area and a hospital. UDC chapters from all over the state donated furnishings for the home.
Due to the cost to maintain the home, the UDC transferred the
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17561.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • War, US Civil • Women.
Location. 30° 18.06′ N, 97° 44.093′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Cedar Street and West 38th Street, on the left when traveling north on Cedar Street. The marker is located in front of the building which now serves as the AGE of Central Texas. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3710 Cedar Street, Austin TX 78705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Shipe House (approx. ¼ mile away); Buddington-Benedict-Sheffield Compound (approx. ¼ mile away); Philquist-Wood House (approx. Whitley-Keltner House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Penn and Nellie Wooldridge House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stanley and Emily Finch House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elvira T. Manor Davis House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jane Yelvington McCallum (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Confederate Men's Home
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas article. The Confederate Woman's Home was opened in 1908 to care for widows and wives of honorably discharged Confederate soldiers and other women who aided the Confederacy. (Submitted on January 29, 2017, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2017, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 29, 2017, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.