Fresno in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Green Bush Spring
The presence of this water caused the railroad in 1872 to locate its station and townsite here.
The name shown on the first map proposed town was Green Bush.
Because of its central location in Fresno County, Leland Stanford changed the name to Fresno Station.
In 1873 when the official map was filed it was entitled Town of Fresno.
Erected 1964 by E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 6.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural Resources • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 36° 44.067′ N, 119° 47.483′ W. Marker was in Fresno, California, in Fresno County. Marker could be reached Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1111 Fulton Street, Fresno CA 93721, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Fresno County Courthouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Saroyan (about 700 feet away); Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (about 800 feet away); Lao Hmong American War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Honoring the Ex-Braceros and Their Contributions (approx. 0.2 miles away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fresno (approx. 0.2 miles away); Via Liberation (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fresno.
More about this marker. The marker is in a planter south of the Helm Building and the Clock Tower on the Mariposa Mall. The Mall is very wide at this point and there are several planters, so you will need to look for a brass plaque in a planter South of the Clock Tower and Helm Building.
Regarding Green Bush Spring. The spring was capped off in the basement of the former J. C. Penney's building on the Fulton Mall in the 1960's. The Penney's building is just the other side of the Helm Building. When last checked in the 1980's, when the cap was removed, clear water flowed freely into the basement from the spring. It has remained capped off since then.
The discovery of the spring is what ultimately led to Fresno being located where it is today.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 2,009 times since then and 388 times this year. Last updated on March 10, 2017, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.