Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties

 
 
Michigan Education Association Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, June 8, 2017
1. Michigan Education Association Marker
Inscription.  
Michigan Education Association
When completed in 1928, this building marked the Michigan Education Association's seventy-fifth anniversary. The Lansing architectural firm of Warren Holmes-Powers Company designed the Neo-Georgian structure. The symmetry, limestone quoining, projecting entrance and the broken pediment topping the center second-story window typify the style. The Michigan Education Association (MEA) was organized in 1847 in Ann Arbor. By the 1960s operations expanded and a larger facility was needed. In 1964 the organization moved to new offices. The MEA Building has housed many different enterprises. In 1988 it became the headquarters of the Michigan Association of Counties.

Michigan Association of Counties
On February 1, 1898, township and city officials met in the capitol and founded the Michigan State Association of Supervisors (MSAS). The group served as a liaison between the legislature and county government, and worked for statewide rather than parochial interests. In the 1950s a director was hired and an office opened in a quonset hut at Michigan State University in East Lansing. In 1957 the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Institute for Local Government merged with the MSAS. That year offices were relocated to Lenawee Street in Lansing. In December 1969 the group adopted the name Michigan Association of Counties. The association acquired this building in 1988.
 
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S0625.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationGovernment & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
 
Location. 42° 44.67′ N, 84° 33.132′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Washington Avenue and W. Kilborn Street on N. Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lansing MI 48906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. VFW Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Kaplan House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); North Lansing Brenke Fish Ladder (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Pulver Brothers / The Filling Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); North Presbyterian Church
Michigan Association of Counties Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, June 8, 2017
2. Michigan Association of Counties Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named North Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Durant Park / Durant Park Arch (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
 
Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, May 24, 2017
3. Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties Building and Marker
Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Rieske, September 22, 2014
4. Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on July 5, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.   3, 4. submitted on May 24, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=105077

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024