Southold in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Capt. John Underhill Home Site / Historic Peck's Inn
c 1654 – 1659
Capt. John Underhill
The renowned military leader and Indian fighter in New England, New Netherlands and on Long Island, lived on this Feather Hill site.
The Later Site
of Historic Peck’s Inn
the first incorporated Southold
Library had its start at a meeting held Nov. 2, 1797.
Erected 1960 by Southold Town and Historical Committee, Southold-Peconic Civic Assoc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Education • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 3.84′ N, 72° 25.739′ W. Marker is in Southold, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is on Main Road (New York State Route 25) west of Beckwith Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located on the sidewalk directly in front of the Southold Free Libaray / Cahoon Memorial Building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 53705 Main Road, Southold NY 11971, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Southold (approx. one mile away); Horton Point Lighthouse (approx. 1.7 miles away); Historic Sites of Early Mills and Bridges (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lord Shipyard (approx. 4.2 miles away); Fire Fighter (approx. 4.3 miles away); Klenawicus Airfield (approx. 5.4 miles away); Meigs' Expedition (approx. 7 miles away); The Point House (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southold.
Also see . . .
1. Capt. John Underhill.
Born in the Netherlands to English parents, he became a professional soldier and was brought to Massachusetts in 1630 to train the colony’s militia. He resided Boston, MA; Dover, NH; Stamford, CT; New Amsterdam; and Flushing, Southold, Setauket and Oyster Bay, all on Long Island, NY. (Submitted on March 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Pequot War.
Because of repeated conflicts with the Pequot people, the English colonists decided to go to war against them. In September 1637 Underhill headed the militia as it undertook the Pequot War. They first went to the fort at Saybrook, in present-day Connecticut. Joining with Mohegan allies and Connecticut militia under Captain John Mason, they attacked the fortified Pequot village near modern Mystic. They set fire to the village, killing any who attempted to flee. About 400 Pequot died in what came to be called the Mystic Massacre. Underhill led other expeditions that joined in hunting down the surviving Pequot. (Submitted on March 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Capt. John Underhill, privateer, (c. 1608-72).
John Underhill came to the Americas with the Winthrop Fleet in 1630. At first, he was a captain of the Boston militia and fought in the Pequot War of 1636. However, he fell out of favor with Puritan government in the midst of the Ann Hutchison religious controversy of 1638 and was expelled from the Massachusetts Bay colony. His post-Boston wanderings challenged him to reinvent himself and his career several times--as governor of Dover, sheriff of Flushing, and various turns as a military commander for both English and Dutch forces. (Submitted on March 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. A Brief Account of Southold's History.
There were no newspapers in Southold during the eighteenth century. The population at the beginning of the Revolution was just over 3000, excluding slaves. Townspeople got their news from Connecticut papers, from travelers, or from returning mariners. Taverns were the center of social life as well as of information. Southold contained fifteen taverns and an even larger number of retailers licensed to sell spirits. John Peck, whose tavern stood where the Southold Free Library is now, was both a tavern keeper and a retailer of alcoholic beverages. (Submitted on March 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.