Brampton in Peel Region, Ontario — Central Canada
Peel County Court House / Le Palais De Justice Du Comté de Peel
This court house building, together with the adjacent jail and registry office, served as the judicial and administrative centre for the County of Peel for more than a century. Its prominent location on a rise of land and its stately appearance reflect the growing civic pride and affluence of 19th-century Ontario communities. Designed in the Italianate style by Toronto architect William Kauffmann, the court house was built by the contracting firm of Kesteven & Story. The onion shaped dome atop the cupola is a unique feature in Ontario court house design. Opened in 1867, the building housed the county courts until 1973, when new facilities were built.
Ce palais de justice a servi, avec la prison adjacente et le bureau d'enregistrement des actes, de centre administratif et judiciaire au comté de Peel pendant plus de cent ans. Son emplacement sur les hauteurs et son apparence majestueuse témoignent de la nouvelle fierté civique et de l'affluence des collectivités ontariennes du XlXe siècle. De style italien, le palais de justice a été conçu par l'architecte torontois William
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture, Tourism, and Recreation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 43° 41.094′ N, 79° 45.47′ W. Marker is in Brampton, Ontario, in Peel Region. Marker is at the intersection of Wellington Street East and Main St S, on the left when traveling north on Wellington Street East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brampton ON L6W 1Y1, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Fire Hall (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Former Milton Town Hall (approx. 21.5 kilometers away); Halton County Court House (approx. 21.9 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2018, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 143 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2018, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.