Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woods Hole in Barnstable County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Nobska Lighthouse

Latitude 41 30' 54" N Longtitude 70 39' 20"

 
 
Nobska Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Frankie, May 11, 2011
1. Nobska Lighthouse Marker
Inscription.  Since 1828 Nobska Light has provided a familiar beacon for "all who go down to the sea in ships". 87 feet above sea level, Nobska's flash every six seconds is visible 17 miles out to sea. This 28,000 candlepower light used a 1000-watt lamp magnified by a Fourth Order Fresnel lens. The red section visible on the east side of the lantern house warns ships away from Hedge Fence and L'Hommedieu Shoals south of the Cape.

The present tower is 42 feet high and was constructed in 1876. It was built to replace the original "Nobsque" light, a stone cottage with a light tower on top which had stood since 1828. The present tower is made of a cast iron shell lined with brick. It was built in Chelsea, Massachusetts and transported to Cape Cod in four sections.

The front half of the current "keeper's house" was also built in 1876. Originally painted dark maroon-brown, it had a covered walkway to the tower attached in 1899 and a second "assistant keepers house" added in 1907. Over the years, windows, doors, porches and walkways have come and gone and the color has been changed to the classic Coast Guard white with red roof.

Nobska Light became

Nobska Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Frankie, May 11, 2011
2. Nobska Lighthouse
Click or scan to see
this page online
part of the Coast Guard in 1939, when the U.S. Light House Service merged with the Coast Guard. Despite this change, the keepers of the light remained civilians until Mr. Hindley retired in 1973 when active duty Coast Guard keepers took up the duty.

In 1983,Nobska Light was automated. The two keepers houses were joined and became the quarters for Commander Coast Guard Group Woods Hole and his family. The Woods Hole Group serves the mainland and islands from Plymouth, Massachusetts to the Rhode Island/Connecticut state line.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: LandmarksWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
 
Location. 41° 30.9′ N, 70° 39.333′ W. Marker is in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, in Barnstable County. Marker is on 233 Nobska Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woods Hole MA 02543, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Marine Hospital Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Historic Clay & Brick Bathhouse (approx. 6˝ miles away); Soldiers' Memorial Fountain (approx. 6˝ miles away); Heath Hen (approx. 9.3 miles away); Rebecca, Woman of Africa (approx. 10.3 miles away); Address by President Lincoln

Nobska Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Frankie, May 11, 2011
3. Nobska Lighthouse
(approx. 11.6 miles away); Ned's Point Light (approx. 11.9 miles away); Mattapoisett Wharves (approx. 12.8 miles away).
 
Nobska Lighthouse in 1895 image. Click for full size.
By Baldwin Coolidge, 1895
4. Nobska Lighthouse in 1895
Nobska Lighthouse in 1895 showing the present 40' lighthouse tower and the separate keeper's quarters, which replaced the original combined structure in 1876.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2018. This page has been viewed 99 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 23, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120715

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2021