Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Brookings in Moody County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Moody County

You are about to Enter

 
 
Moody County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, August 5, 2018
1. Moody County Marker
Inscription.  

domain of the Dakota (Sioux) Indians, with a trading post, traditionally, at the Great Bend as early as 1763 and Joseph LaFramboise in 1822 and Philander Prescott, 1832-33, certainly had posts there. That portion east of the Big Sioux was ceded by the Santee Sioux in 1851, that west by the Yankton Sioux in 1858. Its first settlement, at Flandreau was established in 1857, but abandoned on account of Indian pressure in 1858. It was named for Charles E. Flandreau (1828- 1903).

Until 1873 its S half as part of Minnehaha, its N half of Brookings County. Named for Gideon C. Moody (1832-1906) territorial legislator and first U.S. Senator, its first permanent settlers were 25 Christian Santee Sioux Indians, who took homesteads in 1869. Among them were Old Flute, All-Over-Red, Iron Old Man, the pastor, Iron Dog, and Big Eagle, who were along the river, as were James Jones and L.M. Hewlett, when in September 1869 Eli P. Drake surveyed the county.

Shortly thereafter Charles K. Howard set up a trade store on the Sioux at Flandreau where the Pettigrew Brothers, surveyors and enterprising pioneers, had the town established
Moody County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, August 5, 2018
2. Moody County Marker
by 1872. The county was organized by David Fairbault, Harry Stoughton and Edward Pierce, August 30 1873, and Flandreau was soon named county seat. By 1880 despite grasshoppers, drought and blizzards there were 3,915 people in the county. The railroad reached Flandreau 1 January 1880. Riggs Institute of 1892 became the Flandreau Indian School, the center of a considerable Indian community whose church building dates back to 1872.
 
Erected 1957 by Moody County Historical Society and County Commissioner.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 44° 11.727′ N, 96° 47.367′ W. Marker is near Brookings, South Dakota, in Moody County. Marker is at the intersection of 471st Ave and 220th St, on the right when traveling north on 471st Ave. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brookings SD 57006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brookings County (here, next to this marker); Medary (approx. one mile away); First Convention in Brookings County (approx. one mile away); Medary Townsite (approx. one mile away); Brookings County South Dakota Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); Heart of Brookings
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 7.9 miles away); Brookings/Hillcrest Park (approx. 8 miles away); Coughlin Campanile (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookings.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 19, 2020