Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sinton in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Courthouses of San Patricio County

 
 
Courthouses of San Patricio County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
1. Courthouses of San Patricio County Marker
Inscription.  Eight structures have served as the seat of local government for the people of San Patricio County since its earliest settlement. A building known as the "Log Courthouse" was constructed in San Patricio in the early 1830s to serve the people of the San Patricio colony, although the county of San Patricio was not created until 1837.

County records reveal that court was held in a new frame courthouse in 1853. Sometime prior to the Civil War, construction began on a stone courthouse, but it was never completed due to the unsettled times of the war. Records show that many local residents used stones from the construction site to build chimneys for their homes.

In 1872 a new courthouse was completed. Built by Viggo Kohler, it housed court for the first time on July 15. Two jury rooms, added to opposite sides of the courthouse square in 1876, served as a temporary courthouse after a fire in 1889 destroyed the 1872 building.

After an election in 1894 resulted in the county seat's relocation to Sinton, a courthouse was built here by Otto P. Kroeger. It was replaced by a new structure in 1927.
 
Erected
1927 San Patricio County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 11, 2006
2. 1927 San Patricio County Courthouse
1986 by Texas Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 28° 2.212′ N, 97° 30.903′ W. Marker is in Sinton, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is at the intersection of West Sinton Street (State Highway 188) and North Odem Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Sinton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 W Sinton St, Sinton TX 78387, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Odem Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 7.3 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 7.3 miles away); Meansville and Kaleta (approx. 7.3 miles away); Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex (approx. 8.1 miles away); Papalote Creek (approx. 10 miles away); Chat Work Club (approx. 15.4 miles away); Site Of Indian Point Mass Grave of 1919 Hurricane Victims (approx. 16 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 24, 2020