Lowell in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
1630 - 1930
— American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission. (Marker Number 119.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites, and the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers series lists.
Location. 42° 38.329′ N, 71° 18.802′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Summer Street and Favor Street, on the right when traveling west on Summer Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lowell MA 01852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lowell Manufacturing Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welcome to Lowell National Historical Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Central Street Homage to Women (approx. 0.4 miles away); J.C. Ayer & Company Laboratory (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Worker (approx. 0.4 miles away); W.A. Mack Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Human Construction (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowell.
Regarding Meetinghouse Hill. Eliot Presbyterian Church (near the site of Meetinghouse Hill) is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Eliot Presbyterian Church, formed by the union of First Presbyterian Church and Eliot Union Congregational Church in 1955, is located on or near the site where Rev. John Eliot (1604-1690), Apostle to the Indians, preached to the Wamesit and Pawtucket (or Penacook) Indians in a log chapel. Eliot translated Scriptures into the Indian tongue and made many converts among
Also see . . . Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930). Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 563 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. 3. submitted on October 24, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.