Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kimble County

 
 
Kimble County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 21, 2018
1. Kimble County Marker
Inscription.  Jumano and Apache Indians inhabited region when Spanish explorers traveled across it in the 17th and 18th centuries, and were displaced by the Comanche tribe by the mid-19th century. Area was under military jurisdiction of Forts Terrett (1852-54) and McKavett (1852-59, 1868-83), which were aided in defense by the Texas Rangers.

County was created from Bexar County, 1858, named for George C. Kimble (1810?-1836), who died defending the Alamo. Organized in 1876, with the county seat first at Kimbleville, then Junction in 1877. Haven for lawless element until the Rangers restored peace in 1880s. Ranching is primary industry, producing wool and mohair.
Erected by the State of Texas - 1973

 
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 2894.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 30° 29.347′ N, 99° 45.933′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on Main Street (Loop State Highway 481) near North 5th Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fight of Sheriff’s Posse with Cattle Rustlers (within shouting distance of this marker); Kimble County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel John Griffith (within shouting distance of this marker); Coke R. Stevenson (within shouting distance of this marker); Burt M. Fleming Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); John Sterling Durst (within shouting distance of this marker); Major William Addison Spencer (within shouting distance of this marker); First Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
 
More about this marker. Marker was originally erected in 1936 and restored, with a new inscription plaque, in 1973.
 
Also see . . .  Kimble County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 4 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=126778

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2021