Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Victoria's First Church
(across the street) of
Victoria's First Church
Erected by Martin De Leon, founder of Victoria, soon after his arrival in October, 1824. Priests serving there were Rev. Fathers Jose Miguel Muro, Jose Antonio Valdez, Antonio Diaz De Leon, O.M.F. The church was restored in 1840 by Most Rev. John Mary Odin, first Catholic Bishop of Texas. In 1850 Father Agustine Gardet had it removed to the northwest corner of the lot where Nazareth Convent now stands.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 6577.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1824.
Location. 28° 47.802′ N, 97° 0.437′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West Church Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Victoria TX 77901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary's Church, Catholic (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of Edward Conrad José María Jesús Carvajal (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Round Top House (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Empresario Martín de León (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fossati's Delicatessen (about 300 feet away); Lorenzo Dow Heaton House (about 300 feet away); Old L.D. Heaton Home (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.