Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Here, in 1813, Major Croghan
with only 160 men and the
cannon, "Old Betsy," heroically
defended the fort against
over 2800 British and Indians.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 20.854′ N, 83° 6.868′ W. Marker was in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Marker was at the intersection of West State Street (U.S. 20Bus) and North Arch Street, on the right when traveling east on West State Street. This marker was located in downtown Fremont, on the town's main street, a couple of blocks north of the Birchard Public Library. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Fremont OH 43420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceFremont (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indian Gantlet and Race Course (about 400 feet away); Soldier's Monument (about 500 feet away); Old Betsy (about 500 feet away); Near This Spot (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Stephenson (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Stephenson (about 600 feet away); Great Gathering Place (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 75 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 24, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.