Stiles in Reagan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the First Court House Built in Reagan County
first court house built in
The following officials were installed
May 8, 1903
Joseph J. Boyd, Judge
J. B. Lucas, Clerk
Henry Japson, Sheriff and Tax Col.
Frank Ramsey, Treasurer
W. C. Shamlin, Surveyor
M. D. Sutherland, Assessor
Jno. E. Gardner
W. C. Castlebury
A. J. Kerchville
G. F. Kirk
The county seat was moved in
1925 to Big Lake
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 4928.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 8, 1903.
Location. 31° 24.51′ N, 101° 33.864′ W. Marker is in Stiles, Texas, in Reagan County. Marker is on State Highway 137, 0.2 miles east of Stiles Courthouse Loop, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Lake TX 76932, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 16 miles of this markerStiles Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Town of Texon (approx. 14.3 miles away); Santa Rita No. 1 (approx. 14.4 miles away); City of Big Lake (approx. 15˝ miles away).
Also see . . . Stiles, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 8, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.