Fort Loramie in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Here, at the headwaters
of the Miami, St. Mary’s and
Auglaize Rivers, was the only
land travel necessary in
early days between the
Lakes and the Ohio River.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Wars, US Indian • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. 40° 21.092′ N, 84° 22.468′ W. Marker is in Fort Loramie, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Ohio Route 66) and Elm Street (Ohio Route 362), on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. This marker would most likely be situated in the town, along the main highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Loramie OH 45845, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Loramie Veterans Monument (within shouting distance Miami and Erie Canal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greene Ville Treaty Line (about 300 feet away); Miami Erie Canal Mile Stone (about 300 feet away); Greenville Treaty Line (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Loramie (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cholera Marker (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Crescent Theater (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Loramie.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 76 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2019. 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.