Near Pandora in Putnam County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bridenbaugh District #3 School
One room schools were commonly named for people who furnished land for the building. Michael Bridenbaugh (1820- 1895), who settled in Riley Township in 1835, and wife Jemima (1834- 1903) sold a half-acre of land to the Riley Township school board in 1873. The first school on the site was a wooden structure, built in 1878. It was replaced by a brick building in 1889. The school operated until 1927, after which the district was consolidated. Students attended classes in nearby Pandora.
The Bridenbaugh family purchased the building and, like other former one- room schools, used it for storage. Unlike others, which eventually fell into disuse again and were razed, the Bridenbaughs restored their school, beginning in 1995. It opened in August 1997 with a reunion of its last teacher Mildred George (1907- 1997) and some of her former students. The restoration received an Award of Merit from Ohio State Historical Preservation Office in 2000. The school was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005 as a well- preserved example of a typical one- room school of the
Erected 2019 by Bridenbaugh Family Heritage Farms First National Bank of Pandora Riley Township Trustees The Ohio Hostory Connection. (Marker Number 6-69.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 40° 58.672′ N, 83° 58.609′ W. Marker is near Pandora, Ohio, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of Road 6 (County Route 6) and County Route M6, on the left when traveling north on Road 6. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14022 Rd 6, Pandora OH 45877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pandora Veterans Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Crawfis College (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of the First Swiss Mennonite Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Columbus Grove Municipal Pool (approx. 4.3 miles away); Frances Rappaport Horwich (approx. 4.3 miles away); Putnam County Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); Putnam County World War Memorial Clock (approx. 4.6 miles away); Native Americans in Ottawa (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pandora.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 10, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.