Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Bayou

 
 
The Bayou Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 23, 2019
1. The Bayou Marker
Inscription.  Construction began on the Bayou in 1917. Built with solid 18" thick Harford County fieldstone walls and 14" thick wooden beams, it took four years to complete.

The Bayou Hotel opened for business in 1921. It's stunning facilities included a large lobby and 60 guestrooms with baths. The main dining room was located on the first floor and opened onto a large terrace where the diner could have a spectacular view of the Upper Bay. A building just north of the hotel (currently the Decoy Museum) was at one time the hotel's enclosed, heated swimming pool. A small garage was tucked under the pool for guests' automobiles.

The stock market crash and a fire in 1929 signaled the beginning of the demise of the Bayou as a grand hotel. The hotel was forced to close it's doors. The building was purchased by the Franciscan nuns for use as a home for the aged. A chapel was added to the water front side of the building.

In 1953, the Bayou was purchased and converted into apartments. In the early 70's the building again suffered a fire and in 1976, it was abandoned and given to the city of Havre de Grace. The Bayou was boarded up,
The Bayou image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 23, 2019
2. The Bayou
stripped of it's plumbing and heating systems and for several years sat empty.

In September 1983, the National Park Service in conjunction with the Maryland State Historic Society designated the Bayou a national historic structure and and directed it's preservation. In 1984 the city sold the building and it was renovated and is now condominiums.
 
Erected by Wayne A. Bowie & Sons, General Contractor.
 
Location. 39° 32.335′ N, 76° 5.285′ W. Marker is in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street and Market Street, on the right when traveling east on Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Commerce Street, Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. State of Readiness (within shouting distance of this marker); Invasion at Dawn (within shouting distance of this marker); Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Enjoy the Havre de Grace Promenade (about 300 feet away); Home Base (about 300 feet away); Luxury on the Bay (about 400 feet away); Lure of the Chesapeake (about 400 feet away); Capt. Anthony J. Synodinos & 1st Lt. Edward G. Conrad, (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Havre de Grace.
 
Categories.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for The Bayou.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 95 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement