Mackinaw City in Cheboygan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
British Colonial Shipbuilding Yard, 1761 - 1781
Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Boats delivered products from all over the world to Michilimackinac during the 1700s. After long, arduous journeys they often needed to be repaired here.
Based on artifacts found at this site, such as 1770s sailmaker's needles, and the fact that it is close to the most sheltered bay at Mackinaw, archeologists believe that a shipbuilding and repair yard existed on this spot.
The British merchant sloop Welcome was built in 1775 by John Askin to facilitate his vast trade network.
John Askin was a sutler in Albany during the French and Indian War. At the war's conclusion in 1760 he moved his base of operation to Michilimackinac where his aggresive trading made him the leading merchant of the Upper Great Lakes. He negotiated contracts to supply goods to the fort and he operated a store for individual purchases. In addition, he ran a farm that supplied some of the food stuffs he sold.
Urgencies of the American Revolution induced the British military to buy the Welcome from Askin. She was refitted and armed with cannon and a crew of 12 sailors and 12 soldiers. If this site
The Welcome Replica to Sail No More
A replica of the sloop Welcome was built at Michilimackinac between 1972, when her keel was laid, and 1980, when the hull was launched. She then sailed these waters for several years. Rot became a problem, emphasizing the temporary nature of wooden vessels. The ship was sold to the Maritime Heritage Alliance of Traverse City, a non-profit group that spent a large amount of money on her restoration. They, too, sailed her for a few years before rot again made her unseaworthy. They are donating her to Emmet County for an indoor display.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
Location. 45° 46.771′ N, 84° 43.56′ W. Marker is in Mackinaw City, Michigan, in Cheboygan County. Marker is on South Huron Avenue south of Mackinaw Crossings Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 South Huron Avenue, Mackinaw City MI 49701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mackinaw City Railroad Dock / USCG Cutter Mackinaw WAGB 83 (within Commercial Fishing (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Ferries (within shouting distance of this marker); Edgar Conkling 1812-1881 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Meneely Bell (about 400 feet away); Ice Harvesting (about 400 feet away); Mackinaw's Civil War Cannons (about 600 feet away); Mill Creek (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinaw City.
Also see . . .
1. Building Sloop "Welcome". Includes articles and pictures about building the replica of the Welcome. (Submitted on August 28, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Welcome. Information about both the original Welcome and the replica on the Maritime Heritage Alliance website. (Submitted on August 28, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
3. Armed Sloop Welcome. Information about the Welcome, both the original and the reproduction. The last sentence states that the reproduction was sold by Emmet County in 2017. (Submitted on August 28, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 28, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.