Fort Jefferson in Darke County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
The most advanced post
established by General St. Clair
on his campaign
against the Northwestern
Indian Tribes in 1791.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. 40° 1.568′ N, 84° 39.32′ W. Marker is in Fort Jefferson, Ohio, in Darke County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 121 and Weavers-Fort Jefferson Road (County Route 24), on the right when traveling south on State Route 121. I believe that the marker was situated along the side of the roadway, at the southwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville OH 45331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Jefferson / St. Clair’s Defeat (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Jefferson: A Link in a ChainFort Jefferson (about 400 feet away); Studabaker School (approx. 3.4 miles away); William Byers (approx. 3.9 miles away); George Stephens (approx. 4.8 miles away); Fort Black (approx. 4.8 miles away); New Madison American Legion Monument (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Jefferson.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 69 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 114 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.