Piney Point in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Potomac River Dory Boat
The "Early Times"
This Potomac River dory boat was built in 1916 at St. Patrick's Creek, Maryland by Captain William H. Thompson for Captain Garnett Arnold. Originally named "Elsie" by Capt. Arnold in honor of his youngest sister who had died as a child, this 34-foot craft was built as a sailing dory. In the early years, she was used for oyster
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area Authority, St. Mary's County Museum Division.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Industry & Commerce • War, World I • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
Location. 38° 8.205′ N, 76° 31.725′ W. Marker is in Piney Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road (Maryland Route 498) 0.1 miles west of Hotel Cove Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44725 Lighthouse Road, Piney Point MD 20674, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Piney Point Petroleum Terminal (within shouting distance of this marker); Military Influence (within shouting distance of this marker); Potomac River Military Testing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters (about 300 feet away); Bay Lights (about 300 feet away); Osprey (about 300 feet away); Map of Lower Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay (about 300 feet away); Piney Point Lighthouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piney Point.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.