St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church
Charter members were Mandy Hall, Mariah Lee, Mary Garrett, Ellis Lee, Willis Oliver and Bettie Brooks. In 1873, renamed Mineola, the town boasted two new rail lines. That same year, St. Paul church members built their first sanctuary at the corner of Harris and Stone streets. The church held early baptisms in a creek near present Wren Street, and the congregation grew over the next decades. In 1897, it purchased this site and constructed a new sanctuary. Later, under the leadership of the Rev. T.B. Johnson, who served the church from 1914 to 1941, the church remodeled its early sanctuary. In 1958, the congregation replaced it with a larger structure.
The Rev. Johnson served as moderator of the East Texas Baptist Association, as did the Rev. Lawrence W. Pryor, pastor from 1945 to 1949, who was also president
St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church continues to grow and serve the Mineola community as a tie to area pioneers, and as a place for worship, education, service and fellowship.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13750.)
Location. 32° 39.746′ N, 95° 29.668′ W. Marker is in Mineola, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of West Front Street and South Stone Street, on the left when traveling west on West Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 South Stone Street, Mineola TX 75773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Clinic Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mineola Ice, Light and Water Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gov. James Stephen Hogg and Wood County (approx. ¼ mile away); Mallory Bros. Grocery and Feed Stores (approx. ¼ mile away); C. W. Raines (approx.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.