Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gladewater in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M.

 
 
Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M. Marker
Inscription.  On November 15, 1900, twenty master masons, many from Longview Masonic Lodge No. 404, presented a petition to form a separate lodge. On April 19, 1901, Grand Master Nat M. Washer issued the dispensation, and Daniel Washington Wood served as First Worshipful Master of the new lodge. It formally chartered in December 1901 with 29 members.

From 1901 to 1931, members met in James A. Ponder’s General Store, which also housed the Post Office, on the Northwest corner of Main and Pacific. During the Lodge’s formative years, members included prominent early businessmen, clergymen, professionals and civic leaders of Gladewater. Among them was Dr. Earl George McLaughlin, who opened the city’s first hospital and invented a medication during the influenza epidemic in 1918 that earned him national acclaim.

Sharing a common early history with the lodge is Chapter 831, order of the Eastern Star. Chartered in 1932, the group has long been active in its support of lodge projects and activities.

The lodge met for a time in a schoolhouse and in the Measles Hotel before building its own hall at this site. It first met here on July 1, 1940, and

Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M. & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M. & Marker
members formally dedicated the building in September of that year. They held meetings upstairs and leased the first floor space to a number of enterprises, including the Gladewater Daily Times-Tribune.

Lodge members have served the grand lodge of Texas as district deputy grand masters and actively supported Masonic projects. Locally, they contribute to many worthwhile community and educational programs, including annual scholarships. Today, Gladewater Lodge No. 852 serves as an integral part of the city’s future, as well as a reminder of its rich history.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission.
 
Location. 32° 32.203′ N, 94° 56.645′ W. Marker is in Gladewater, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is on North Dean Street south of West Upshur Avenue (U.S. 80), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 North Dean Street, Gladewater TX 75647, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of Gladewater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Ben Shepperd (about 500 feet away); First Franchised Motor Bus Line in Texas (about 600 feet away); The Gladewater Discovery Well (approx. 0.2 miles away); Foshee Family Homestead

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House (approx. ¼ mile away); Gladewater (approx. 0.8 miles away); Rosedale Cemetery (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gladewater.
 
Also see . . .  100 Year History of Gladewater Lodge No. 852 (.pdf). (Submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable Places
 

More. Search the internet for Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M..
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement