Lee Hall in Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A New Settlement
Sir George Yeardley served as governor and captain general of Virginia from 1619 to 1621 and from 1626 to 1627. He had arrived in Virginia aboard the Deliverance from Bermuda in 1610. Yeardley later commanded Forts Charles and Henry before governing the Bermuda Hundred settlement. He also established a plantation at Flowerdew Hundred, then in 1619 returned to England, where he received a knighthood and his commission as governor from King James I. On his return to Virginia, Governor Yeardley called the first legislative assembly in American history at Jamestown. After his term expired, he served as a councilor and led reprisals against the Powhatan Indians after they attacked the colony in 1622. When Governor Sir Francis Wyatt left for England in 1626, Yeardley assumed leadership
Yeardley gave the new settlement he established here the name Stanley Hundred in honor of his wife’s family. The term “hundred” was an English feudal term for a division of land supporting 100 persons, usually 100 acres. The settlers, with an abundance of land and a smaller population, used the term more as a colloquialism. Yeardley wanted a town established on his plantation, but his death in 1627 ended the enterprise. There were sufficient inhabitants, however, to warrant the construction of a church. Yeardley’s widow, Lady Temperance Flowerdew, sold Stanley Hundred to Captain Thomas Flint in 1628. By the 1660s, the Cary family had acquired the tract.
Erected 2007 by Newport News Founders’ Trail.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era.
Location. 37° 10.657′ N, 76° 34.55′ W. Marker is in Lee Hall in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Enterprise Drive, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located in Skiffes Creek Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Balthrope (here, next to this marker); Skiffes Creek Mulberry Point (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Eustis (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lee’s Mill Earthworks (approx. 0.9 miles away); Glebe Lands (approx. one mile away); Battle of Lee’s Mill (approx. one mile away); Lee’s Mill (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lee Hall.
More about this marker. The lower left of the marker contains a picture of an “Artist’s conception of Jamestown church in which First Assembly met in 1619. - Courtesy Jamestown Foundation. The bottom right features a picture of “America’s first representative assembly meeting in the church at Jamestown, 1619. - Courtesy Library of Virginia. Also, on the top of the marker is a portrait of Governor Sir Francis Wyatt.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,201 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.