Oskaloosa in Mahaska County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Dragoon Trail Historical Site Marker No. 5
Blazed in 1835 by the
First U.S. Dragoons
Stephen W. Kearny
Erected 1940 by Oskaloosa Chapter Iowa Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 41° 18.3′ N, 92° 40.167′ W. Marker is in Oskaloosa, Iowa, in Mahaska County. Marker is on Old Highway 163, 0.2 miles north of Orchard Ave, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2074 Old Highway 163, Oskaloosa, IA 5257, Oskaloosa IA 52577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chief Hard Fish / Eddyville Historic Site Marker (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand
Also see . . . Dragoon Trail - Wikipedia. In 1933, the State of Iowa opened the Dragoon Trail, a scenic and historic drive along the Des Moines River. The trail follows the path of the 1st U. S. Dragoons, the country's first mounted infantry unit, on their historic march in the summer of 1835, to scout Iowa after the Black Hawk Purchase of 1832 put the area under U.S. control. The march lead to the establishment of outposts from present-day Fort Dodge and Webster City through Des Moines to Pella and Knoxville. The Trail is about 200 miles long and passes cultural, historical, natural and scenic attractions including Lake Red Rock, Ledges State Park, the Kate Shelley High Bridge and Dolliver Memorial Park. It starts with two branches originating from Fort Dodge and Webster City that join near Stratford; from there it runs through Boone and Des Moines to the Red Rock Dam between Pella and Knoxville…. (Submitted on May 3, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2015, by Benjamin M. Snyder of Ankeny, Iowa. This page has been viewed 712 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on September 19, 2019, by Benjamin M. Snyder of Ankeny, Iowa. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2015, by Benjamin M. Snyder of Ankeny, Iowa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.