Dover in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Cascade and Hardesty Mills / The Ohio-Erie Canal and Industry in Dover
Christian Deardorff (1781-1851) with his brother-in-law Jesse Slingluff (1775-1836) platted and founded Dover and built the area's first gristmill on Sugar Creek. With the coming of the Ohio and Erie Canalto Dover, Deardorff lobbied successfully to make Dover a toll stop for the canal and the be afforded a source of water power for his mill. A dam built on Sugar Creek obstructed for the mill there. Deardorff received access to the canal near Tuscarawas Avenue, and there erected a mill, later named the Cascade Mill by the Hardesty brothers when they purchased it in 1872. The Hardestys, from Carroll County, came to Dover in the 1860s and began operating a large mill on the Calico Ditch, near the foot of 2nd Street. The Dover Milling Company bought the last Hardesty-owned mill in 1951.
Canals in antebellum Ohio made it faster and cheaper for farmers and others to bring their goods to market and for manufacturers elsewhere to bring their goods to Ohioans. Like many towns along the route, Dover, platted in 1807, grew rapidlyafter the coming of the Ohio & Erie Canal in 1830. The canal spurred the development
Erected 2016 by City of Dover and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 27-79.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 40° 31.097′ N, 81° 28.637′ W. Marker is in Dover, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is at the intersection of Tuscarawas Avenue (Ohio Route 211) and West Front Street, on the right when traveling south on Tuscarawas Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover OH 44622, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ohio and Erie Canal / Canal Dover Toll House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dover Concert Band, 1924 (approx. Ό mile away); Christian Deardorff (approx. 0.3 miles away); W. W. Scott, 1891 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Meigs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dover Public Library Jeremiah E. Reeves / The J.E. Reeves Victorian Home (approx. 0.8 miles away); Reeves Steel World War II Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 22, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.