Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Basalt in Bingham County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Cedar Point - Basalt

 
 
Cedar Point - Basalt Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 11, 2019
1. Cedar Point - Basalt Marker
Inscription.  In 1879 the U.&N. Railroad Co. named their water stop, Basalt. Henry R. Whitmill settled in Cedar Point in 1884. Andrew O. Inglestrom filed on land, 1885. Others followed, built canal, homes, L.D.S. church house, cheese factory, two stores, saloon, blacksmith shop, log schoolhouse, L.M. Caps, teacher, postoffice, Marion Kerr, post mistress. Willian Dye dug first well. Cedar Point name changed to Basalt, 1888. Due to railroad improvements, the town was moved east in 1903.
 
Erected 1970 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Cedar Point Camp. (Marker Number 373.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 43° 18.89′ N, 112° 9.9′ W. Marker is in Basalt, Idaho, in Bingham County. Marker is on 675 East Street near 825 North, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 824 675 East Street, Basalt ID 83218, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured
Cedar Point - Basalt Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 11, 2019
2. Cedar Point - Basalt Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
as the crow flies. Pioneer Cabin (approx. 3.9 miles away); Alridge School (approx. 3.9 miles away); General Store (approx. 3.9 miles away); Covered Wagon (approx. 4 miles away); The Barn (approx. 4 miles away); Pioneer School Bus Replica (approx. 4 miles away); Sheepcamp Wagon (approx. 4 miles away); Early Settlements (approx. 4.1 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is opposite the L.D.S. church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 1, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=140399

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2021