The Army considered wooden structures “temporary.” Most of the wooden structures at this location were torn down after WWII. Itís possible the chapel may have been spared the wrecking ball due the important role it played in the life of the fort.
Caption below the photograph on the right - Above: The chapel interior is set for a Catholic service, but also offered Protestant and Jewish services. At the rear of the alter is a triptych, a three-sided panel painted by American artist Nina Barr Wheeler (1909-1978) and dedicated to Saint Barbara, the patron saint of artillerymen, selected as a nod to Fort DuPontís origin as an artillery post.
Location. 39° 34.278′ N, 75° 35.298′ W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on New Castle Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort DuPont (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Chapel.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.