Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Gerrand in Bonneville County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Taylor Settlement

 
 
Taylor Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 11, 2019
1. Taylor Settlement Marker
Inscription.  Six men came to this area from Hooper, Utah, to homestead in the early spring of 1885: John, Edward and William Priest, Smith Johnson, and Edwin and Abiah Wadsworth Jr. They each built a log house on their claim before returning to Utah for their families. Leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), headquartered in Salt Lake, were informed of this small settlement. In 1886 Apostle John W. Taylor of the LDS Church was sent to organize the group into a branch, a part of the Bannock Stake with headquarters in Rexburg, Idaho. The decision was made to name the ward in honor of Apostle Taylor. William Priest became the first bishop. The first church meetings were held in Abiah Wadsworth Jr.'s home.
By 1886 a log structure was erected for public use on land donated by John Priest. The first teacher was John Henry Evans, the church recorder. A second multi-purpose structured, a two-room, 39 by 60 foot white frame building was built in the mid 1890s. This building burned during the winter of 1904, taking with it all church and school records. In 1905 a two-room brick building was completed. Church, school, and dances were
Taylor Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 11, 2019
2. Taylor Settlement Marker
held in the building until a church was constructed in 1915.
To water this arid, sagebrush-covered land, the pioneers had to dig a 10-mile-long irrigation canal from Eagle Rock, located to the north. Hay and grain, their first crops, were grown in 1890.
The beautiful Taylor Cemetery was established in April 1887 when Abiah Wadsworth Jr. and Willian Arave purchased 5 acres of land for $65 to bury Ellen, the infant daughter of Sarah and Abiah Wadsworth, Jr.
 
Erected 2000 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Wolverine Camp. (Marker Number 527.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 43° 22.967′ N, 112° 2.05′ W. Marker is in Gerrand, Idaho, in Bonneville County. Marker is at the intersection of South 1st East and West 127th South, on the right when traveling south on South 1st East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Idaho Falls ID 83404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joseph Allen Taylor (1871-1945) & Chet Taylor (1893-1964) (approx. 2.6 miles away); Shelley Settlement (approx. 4.2 miles away); Early Settlements (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Barn (approx. 6.7 miles away); General Store
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 6.7 miles away); Pioneer School Bus Replica (approx. 6.7 miles away); Alridge School (approx. 6.7 miles away); Sheepcamp Wagon (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker is in Taylor Park.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Taylor Settlement.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 3, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement