Waco in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Waco
Historic figures affiliated with First Baptist Church have included five generals of the Confederacy, former Governor of Texas Pat M. Neff, and Dr. B. M. Carroll, pastor from 1871 to 1899 and later founder of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth. Dr. J. M. Dawson, pastor from 1915 to 1946, resigned to become the first executive director of the Baptist Joint Committee on Public Affairs, Washington, D. C.
From 1886, when Baylor University moved to Waco from Independence, Texas, the University and First Baptist Church have enjoyed close association. Every Baylor president since 1886 has maintained active membership here. Many of the faculty, administration and student body of Baylor University traditionally have provided vital links in the fellowship.
Location. 31° 33.194′ N, 97° 7.69′ W. Marker is in Waco, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is on Webster Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waco TX 76701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brann-Davis Shootings (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gerald-Harris Shooting (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Courthouses of McLennan County (approx. 0.4 miles away); McLennan County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Waco Suspension Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Waco Spring (approx. half a mile away); Jacob de Cordova (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Waco Suspension Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waco.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for First Baptist Church of Waco.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2019, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2019, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.