Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Victoria County

 
 
Victoria County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Evans, October 26, 2019
1. Victoria County Marker
Inscription.  

In this county the first European settlement in Texas, Fort St. Louis, was built by the French explorer La Salle in 1685. Between 1722 and 1726 a Spanish presidio and the Mission of Espiritu Santo were established. Settled by colonists under Martin de Leon in 1824 who named his capital, later the county seat, Victoria. From it the county, created March 17, 1836, took its name
 
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 5649.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 17, 1836.
 
Location. 28° 47.982′ N, 97° 0.439′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is at the intersection of West Constitution Street and North Bridge Street, on the left when traveling east on West Constitution Street. The marker is at the old Victoria Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Victoria TX 77901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Victoria County, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); 1892 Victoria County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Victor M. Rose
Victoria County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Evans, October 26, 2019
2. Victoria County Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Home County of William Pinckney McLean (within shouting distance of this marker); Mundt Place (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); De Leon Plaza (about 400 feet away); Brownson's Bank (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
 
More about this marker. This is part of the first set of historical markers erected in Texas. They were erected in celebration of the Texas Centennial in 1936.

The marker is on the top of a pink granite stone, the same type of granite used in the Texas Capitol.
 
1892 Victoria County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Evans, October 26, 2019
3. 1892 Victoria County Courthouse
The Victoria County Marker is on the right of the entry walkway in this view.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 28, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   3. submitted on October 26, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=141819

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 13, 2022