Clayton in St. Louis County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Saint Louis County
The county's first permanent settlement was St. Louis, founded by Pierre Laclede, 1764. Though France had ceded the region to Spain, 1762, the settlements were made French, and other early villages were Creve Coeur, Carondelet, and Florissant, and early Catholic educational center. In the late 1700's, Americans began to settle farms on the creeks and rivers. On Cold Water Creek, a Methodist Church was formed, 1806, and on Fee Fee Creek a Baptist, 1807.
St. Louis and its surrounding settlements formed one of 5 Spanish districts before the American period began, 1804, and one of first 5 counties of Missouri Territory, organized, 1812. St. Louis city and county separated, 1876, and Clayton was laid out as the new county seat, 1878. The name is for Ralph Clayton, who gave 100 acres of land.
St. Louis County developed as
Events of early county history include the establishment of Ft. Prince Charles at the mouth of the Missouri by the Spanish, 1767, and the building of Ft. Bellefontaine a few miles from the river's mouth by the U.S., 1805. Indian trading post and military cantonment, Bellefontaine was one of the first American forts west of the Mississippi. Zebulon M. Pike left from Bellefontaine on his great expedition to the Southwest, 1806.
Points of interest are Jefferson Barracks, dating from 1826; National Cemetery; log cabin home of Ulysses S. and Julia Dent Grant; Rockwoods Reservation; Babler State Park; Concordia Historical Institute Museum; Museum of Transport; and Lambert-St. Louis Airport. In the county are the major part of Washington University; Eden (Reformed Evangelical) Seminary; Concordia (Lutheran) Seminary; Catholic seminaries of Kenrick, St. Stanislaus, and Holy Family, and colleges of Fontbonne, Chaminade, and Webster.
Erected 1955 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 38° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7900 Forsyth Boulevard, Saint Louis MO 63105, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barry-Wehmiller Pavilion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francis Olympic Field (approx. 1½ miles away); Harriet Woods (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Magazine Building (approx. 1.6 miles away); What's in a Name? (approx. 1.7 miles away); Charles M. Russell (approx. 1.7 miles away); William Greenleaf Eliot (approx. 1.7 miles away); Rogers Hornsby (approx. 1.7 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Saint Louis County.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.