Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kelleys Island in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The German Reformed Church / The Church Parsonage

 

— Old Stone Church —

 
The German Reformed Church side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
1. The German Reformed Church side of marker
Inscription.  The German Reformed Church was organized on Kelleys Island in 1865. The congregation built this church from island stone in 1866 on ½ acre of land purchased from Alfred S. and Hannah Kelley. By 1871, the congregation, one of five on the island, heard services in German and had 25 families as members, including those of Baumler, Beatty, Becker, Boker, Burger, Cattenach, Dodge, Elfers, Fischer Gerlach, Hess, Jordon, Keifer, Lange, Nowalk, Pringnitz, Huber, Renter, Schaedler, Scheele, Smith, Stoll, Suhr, and Trieschman. Rev. A. William Von Kaske was the congregation’s last resident minister, leaving in 1915. The church’s final service, funeral for William Burger, was held in 1942. The church’s Ladies Aid Society was able to maintain the building until 1957, after which it was left vacant. The Kelley’s Island Historical Association leased the church in 1981 and was granted the deed in 1986.

The congregation of the German Reformed Church built a parsonage on land purchased for $51 from Mrs. Anne Twidney on August 8, 1888. By 1915, the island’s population and the congregation had dwindled and the latter could no longer support a resident minister. The church’s trustees
The Church Parsonage side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
2. The Church Parsonage side of marker
rented the house to the Betzenheimer family. Florence (“Sis”) Betzenheimer McKillips carried on her mother Emma’s role of caring for the German Reformed Church and parsonage even after both buildings became part of the Kelleys Island Historical Association in the 1980s. The association granted Mrs. McKillips use of the house until her death in 2013 at the age of 92. It has no running water and is serviced by a hand pump in the kitchen and an outhouse in the back yard.
 
Erected 2015 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation, Kelleys Island Historical Association, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 29-22.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 35.919′ N, 82° 42.576′ W. Marker is in Kelleys Island, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Division Street 0.3 miles north of West Lakeshore Drive (Ohio Route 575), on the right when traveling north. It is at the Old Stone Church. There is a car ferry with frequent service from Lakeside Marblehead (a 34 minute ride), and a hydrofoil passenger ferry from Sandusky (a 20 minute ride). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 224 Division St, Kelleys Island OH 43438, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Island House (approx. 0.3 miles
The German Reformed Church / The Church Parsonage Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
3. The German Reformed Church / The Church Parsonage Marker
This view is south with Division Street on the right. The building behind the marker is the Kelleys Island Historical Association museum and gift shop.
away); Inscription Rock (approx. half a mile away); Glacial Grooves State Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lakeside (approx. 4.2 miles away); Marblehead Lighthouse (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lake Erie (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Fire of October 20, 1929 / The Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association (approx. 4.4 miles away); Johnson's Island (approx. 6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The Parsonage History. Excerpt: “The Betzenheimer family lived at the parsonage house all their lives, until Sis Betzenheimer/McKillips moved out around 2010. After returning to the island in the 1940’s, Sis carried on the tradition of care and preservation of the Old Stone Church. Because of that commitment, she was granted life use of the house. That adds up to almost 90 years of Betzenheimer residency. The house consists of seven rooms; three bedrooms up and one down, living room, dining room, kitchen, cellar and porch. Truly amazing - it has a cistern to collect water but no plumbing. The kitchen sink has a hand pump and there is an outhouse in the rear of the church.” (Submitted on November 3, 2019.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
The German Reformed Church — Old Stone Church, Kelleys Island Ohio image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
4. The German Reformed Church — Old Stone Church, Kelleys Island Ohio
The white building on the left is the church parsonage. The plaques on either side of the church door read, “Former home of the Kelleys Island German Reformed Church, built in 1867” and “Kelleys Island Historical Association Inc., chartered in 1981.”
The Church Parsonage image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
5. The Church Parsonage
It is now a resale shop operated by the Kelleys Island Historical Association.
The German Reformed Church Interior image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
6. The German Reformed Church Interior
Cast iron stove was made by the Tappan Stove Company. It is a No. 220 Frost Killer. The organ is a Clough and Warren reed organ dating to 1893.
The German Reformed Church Interior image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
7. The German Reformed Church Interior
The back of the church and its balcony. The cylinder on the right is the cast iron stove.
World War II Memorial — God Bless Our Boys image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
8. World War II Memorial — God Bless Our Boys
Members of St. Michael’s Parish, Kelleys Island, who served in World War II. Memorial moved to this church by the historical association. It is just out of frame on the left of Photograph No. 7.

Clarence Baumler • Wayne E. Beatty • Herbert Bickley Jr. • Logan J. Bickley • Anthony Bonci • Frank H. Brown • George Durket • Michael Durket • Peter E. Durket • John Durket • Bernard Erne • Raymond E. Feyedelem • Lawrence Feyedelem • Joseph F. Feyedelem • Leroy F. Hamilton • Donald P. Lange • Howard Brown • Roland Erne • Florian Erne • Francis Erne • Michael V. Mervo • Joseph J. Mervo • Morris D. McKillips • Claude A. McKillips • Victor J. McKillips • Rogers Kurtz • John R. Perkinson • Clarence C. Perruchon • William F. Perruchon • Anthony J. Perruchon • Franklin J. Pohorence • Gilbert Riedy • Pasquale G. Richi • Francis Rudolph • Andrew Semanson • John J. Verock • John Semanson • Richard Voltz • Robert Voltz • Lawrence Walland.
 

More. Search the internet for The German Reformed Church / The Church Parsonage.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 3, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement