New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
4-10 Grove Street
Landmarks of New York
These four houses, erected between 1825 and 1834, are typical of those built in New York in the early 19th century preceding the increases use of Greek Revival forms. Their simplicity of design is typically enhanced by enriched doorways. The street was deeded to the city as Cozine Street in 1809, opened as Columbia Street in 1811, renamed in 1813 in memory of Lieut. Borrows, naval hero of the War of 1812, and given its present name in 1829.
Plaque presented 1966 by
The New York Community Trust
Erected 1966 by The New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 43.938′ N, 74° 0.358′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Grove Street near Hudson Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Grove St, New York NY 10014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marquis de Lafayette (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Luke's Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Boyhood Home of Bret Harte (within shouting distance of Bedford Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barrow Street (about 300 feet away); No. 48 Commerce Street (about 400 feet away); 38 Commerce Street (about 400 feet away); 36 Commerce Street (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Also see . . . 4-10 Grove Street at Daytonian in Manhattan blog. (Submitted on December 21, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Categories. • Architecture •
More. Search the internet for 4-10 Grove Street.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.