One of the earliest white settlements in the Old Creek Indian Nation. James Elizabeth Glenn, who named the town, and his brother Thompson Glenn, arrived here in 1835 only to have to evacuate during the Indian uprisings of 1836, at which time all buildings were destroyed and the remaining settlers killed. Thompson Glenn is credited with effecting the removal, to Columbus, Georgia, of the entrapped white citizens of nearby Roanoke, Georgia, during the same uprising. Glennville was resettled upon the removal of the Indians. It rapidly attracted settlers and their social and cultural standards caused Glennville to be known as "The Athens of the South."
At its apex this town had collegiate institutes, finishing schools, a military academy, classic churches and stately homes. In 1854 John Bowles Glenn left here to establish a school at Auburn and became its first president of the board of trustees. This school in successive changes became Auburn University. Glennville was the home of the only known lynch mob that bought a newspaper advertisement, acknowledged the deed and published their names. The victim,
Erected 1980 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Russell County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 7.978′ N, 85° 10.68′ W. Marker is in Glennville, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker is on Old Seale Highway (County Road 137) 0.3 miles north of Penny Well Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Old Seale Highway, Pittsview AL 36871, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation (approx. 8.4 miles away in Georgia); Florence (approx. 8.6 miles away in Georgia); Villula (approx. 8.9 miles away); Fort McCreary – 1836 (approx. 9.7 miles away in Georgia); Fort Jones (approx. 9.7 miles away in Georgia); Holland McTyeire Smith (approx. 11.2 miles away); Fort Browder/15th Alabama Infantry Providence Methodist Church & Schoolhouse (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,707 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on January 27, 2020, by Thomas H Fort of Grayson, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 3. submitted on June 7, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on November 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.