Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Trolleys Come to Ballston / CIA Occupies the Building

 
 
Trolleys Come to Ballston Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, February 4, 2020
1. Trolleys Come to Ballston Marker
Inscription.  
Trolleys Come to Ballston
The Washington, Arlington & Falls Church Railway (WA&FC) established an interurban electric trolley along the present route of Fairfax Drive in 1896. The WA&FC's Fairfax trolley line ran through this site to Clarendon (about one mile to the east), where it branched to serve both Rosslyn and downtown Washington, D.C. This site gained prominence in 1911, when the WA&FC built a compound here containing the Lacey rail yard, an electrical substation and a building that housed a car barn, the company's general offices, and a repair shop.

In 1912, the Washington and Old Dominion Railway, a competing interurban electric trolley company, constructed a branch that connected Georgetown, Rosslyn, Ballston, Falls Church, Vienna, Leesburg and Loudoun County. This line crossed the west end of Ballston, Falls Church, Vienna, Leesburg and Loudoun County. This line crossed the west end of Ballston near this site and further encouraged Ballston's development and other communities along its route. Despite early success, the trolleys in Northern Virginia were unable to survive competition with each other
CIA Occupies the Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, February 4, 2020
2. CIA Occupies the Building Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
and the automobile, and ceased operations in the 1930s and 1940s.

CIA Occupies the Building
In November 1963, the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) moved into the upper five floors and penthouse of the Blue Goose. The building housed the Office of Training, Office of Medical Services, and Operations School, which offered a variety of classes. CIA employees also called the building "Big Blue U." Thee U.S. Bureau of Public Roads ocupied the first three floors. The elevators were programmed to stop at the fourth floor, where CIA guards would check employees' badges before permitting access to the CIA offices.

The CIA continued to occupy the Blue Goose after moving the classes to other locations. The last CIA office to use the building was the Joint Publications Research Service, part of the Foreign Broadcast Information Service, which moved out in late 1987.
 
Erected by Marymount University.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsEducationIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Railroad series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1963.
 
Location.
Trolleys Come to Ballston Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, February 4, 2020
3. Trolleys Come to Ballston Marker
38° 52.956′ N, 77° 7.007′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from North Glebe Road (Virginia Route 120) just north of Fairfax Drive (Virginia Route 237), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 North Glebe Road, Arlington VA 22201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glebe Road & Ballston / Marymount University (here, next to this marker); Arlington County in 1921 / John M. Walton, Architect (a few steps from this marker); Ballston Metro / The Blue Goose (within shouting distance of this marker); Lacey Car Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blue Goose (within shouting distance of this marker); Peck Chevrolet (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ball's Crossroads (approx. Ό mile away); Welburn Square (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
CIA Occupies the Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, February 4, 2020
4. CIA Occupies the Building Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 4, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145148

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022