Petersburg in Grant County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Winter Quarters Huts
The remains of several winter quarters hut sites are on a terrace below you. This group of hut emplacements was much smaller and more isolated than the other infantry camps. Log huts were built into the hillside and partially covered with dirt, Roofs were usually canvas shelter cloths; floors and sometimes chimneys were made from bricks taken from local churches burned during the war.
One of these churches, the Petersburg (Union) Methodist Church on the North Fork Road, was destroyed by Federal troops in 1861. A year later, in 1862, Federal troops burned the Presbyterian Church on Cemetery Hill. The building had been used as a commissary and the Federals were fearful of its capture by Confederate forces.
From the Diary of Joshua Winters, September 21–October 11, 1863. “Mon Sept
Erected by Civil War Preservation Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 39° 0.017′ N, 79° 8.45′ W. Marker is in Petersburg Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg WV 26847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Impregnable Fortress (within shouting distance of this marker); Defending the Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Protecting Supplies (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Last Days of Fort Mulligan (about 500 feet away); Civil War Cannons (about 500 feet away); A Strategic Location (about 600 feet away); The Irish Brigade & the McNeill Rangers / The Civil War Comes to Hardy County (about 600 feet away); Welcome to Fort Mulligan Civil War Site (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
More about this marker. On the lower right is a portrait of “Private Joshua Winters, First (W) VA Volunteer Infantry (1843–1900).”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,428 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.