Near Chadds Ford in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Barns-Brinton House
In 1714, blacksmith Barns built a house on “Ye Great Road to Nottingham,” then a major highway between Philadelphia and Maryland. The spacious brick building was well suited to its use as a tavern – with a private side for the family and a barroom and sleeping quarters for travelers. From 1722 until his death in 1731, Barns operated the tavern for “ye accommodation of Man and Horse.”
In the 1730s, the property and house changed owners several times. In 1753, the house and farmland were purchased by James Brinton, grandson of William Brinton, one of the earliest settlers in the area.
As you walk around the building, notice the Flemish bond brickwork with black headers and the “diaper” pattern in the west gable end of the house. On the U.S. Route side, you will see where another structure, perhaps a log addition, joined the brick
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Barns-Brinton House is a contributing element of the Brandywine Battlefield National Historic Landmark.
The Barns-Brinton House is open weekends May 24 through August 31, 1 to 5 p.m. School and group tours are by appointment throughout the year. For more information, please contact the Chadds Ford Historical Society office at 610-388-7376 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings.
Location. 39° 52.427′ N, 75° 37.418′ W. Marker is near Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on Baltimore Pike (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chadds Ford PA 19317, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Barns-Brinton House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Brandywine (approx. half a mile away); Isaac & Dinah Mendenhall (approx. 1˝ miles away); Gradient (Maple Tree), 2015 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Miss Gratz, 1984 Helen, 1989 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Gradient (River Walk), 2015 (approx. 1.6 miles away); R. B. Monument, 2004 (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chadds Ford.
More about this marker. A picture of the house is on the left upper portion of the marker. Two photographs on the right of the marker show a large open hearth used for cooking demonstrations and a reproduction cage bar.
Also see . . . The Battle of Brandywine. September 11, 1777 at Brandywine, Pennsylvania. The American Revolutionary War website. (Submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,493 times since then and 74 times this year. Last updated on March 15, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.