Terre Ceia in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Franklin C. Armstrong
A Director of the Independent Line of Steamships circa 1890, his deep-water pier at this site loaded all area citrus/vegetable produce for Tampa markets. At the pier base on pilings stood his large store/office building. The upland 7.5 acres, the Leenard Place, predated to the era of Madam Joe Atzroth. Later, as a Director of the Seaboard Airline Railroad, he constructed the first large packinghouse/depot on east Terra Ceia, spawning 8 others. Daily shipments went to his agents in New York and Philadelphia. His support aided many starting farmers. He became the largest freeholder in Manatee Co.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 27° 34.229′ N, 82° 34.512′ W. Marker is in Terre Ceia, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on Bayshore Drive, 0.2 miles west of U.S. 19, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Bayshore Dr, Terra Ceia FL 34250, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesTerra Ceia School/Village Improvement Association Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Atzeroth Home Site (approx. half a mile away); Guerrero Home Site (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rubonia Women's Club (approx. 1˝ miles away); Old Memphis Cemetery (approx. 2˝ miles away); Danger Approaches (approx. 2.6 miles away); Realizing a Dream (approx. 2.6 miles away); Lincoln Memorial High School (approx. 3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.